Soaking Grains/Legumes

Noelle

I genuinely enjoy many gluten-free grains and legumes (at least, I remember enjoying them), and my husband is a big fan. I'm curious about the possibility of making these things more digestible with proper preparation. Pre-Whole30, I was very good about soaking/boiling my beans, and I don't think they were an issue for me. I soaked grains for hot cereal overnight a few times, but it wasn't a regular practice. I don't know if it made a difference, but I was thinking about testing this.

Have other people experimented with soaking when reintroducing grains and legumes? Did you notice a difference? I'd love to hear about your results!

Thanks, Tom! There's lots of good information there!

In the long-run, I'd like my household to be as grain- and legume-free as possible. In the short-term, though, my goal is to make the occasional inclusion of non-gluten grains and legumes a little less less-optimal for my non-W30 family members.

As for my own testing/reintroduction period, I'd be interested to know if anyone finds soaking, sprouting and so on to make a difference in how they feel after eating beans or grains. If I'm going to go off-road with a stack of gluten-free buckwheat pancakes, could I make the "aftermath" a little easier? This is definitely something I'm willing to experiment with for myself.

I'm getting the sense that for many people, it's a simple matter of not missing grains and legumes enough to bother.

I'm getting the sense that for many people, it's a simple matter of not missing grains and legumes enough to bother.

That's EXACTLY the case in our house! I've read about sprouting grains, and my in-laws naturopath recommends daily consumption of sprouted grains. For me, it's just...meh. I don't care anything at all about having legumes back in my diet, and am wondering whether to even reintroduce them as a test. There are so many non-gluten, non-grain options (even pancakes!) available, I feel like if I am going to treat myself, I can do it with a honey- or date-sweetened, almond flour concoction sometimes without any bad side effects. I'll be interested to hear whether anybody else has reintroduced sprouted grains with any success.

I used sprouted grains Pre whole 30, and they presented a much better option for me than non sprouted grains. I don't particularly need the added calories of grains, they don't pack enough nutrition for me. But I would like to get my other half used to them as he has a manual job and needs the calories for sure. We don't eat any grains right now, but ill probably add them in. I will add that I use organic grains, sprout them myself and then either dry and make flour or just cook them. I can't do anything but sprouted grains, any regular grains, gluten free or not, bother me immensely.

I grew up in Texas and occasionally love making charro bean or mashing those into refried beans. Once we are done with what will probably take the whole year to lose the weight I want to lose (over 100 pounds), I do plan to check out some beans for the occasional "treat". Hopefully they won't be problematic. At that point we'll test out wheat, but probably won't really add it back unless there's some really compelling reason to do it. I miss the convenience of a quick sandwich at lunch, but I really don't miss most bread enough to give up how good I feel.

Archived