Speaking of coffee...

I am having the hardest time with my first-thing-in-the morning coffee habit. I know it's ok to drink coffee, but it's not ok to put cream and honey in it. I'm not a morning person at all, but am forced to get up early and get two small children and myself (and sometimes my husband) fed, dressed, brushed, packed and out the door while the sun is still rising. The one thing that has made it all possible is that 5 minutes when I sit and enjoy a crreamy, sweet cup of energy-giving gold. Everything else in the Whole30 has been ok to give up, except this one big thing. I go to bed with lots of resolve but at 7:00am I justify just one more day of cream and honey. And I don't feel like I can start counting the '30' until I figure this out. Any ideas of how to get through this? Please don't just say suck it up...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Michelle- have you looked around for other coffee concoctions? I have read a few threads that mentioned ghee in coffee, coconut milk in coffee and probably lots of other W30 compliant things. Do some searches in the forums and you will find them. I too gave up cream and sweetener so I feel ya! I found that I am actually enjoying coffee with nothing at all. BUT it has to be a GOOD coffee. So far my fave is Dunkin Donuts.

Hang in there! You can get there! Good luck!

i second the coconut milk in coffee and i will have to try the cinnamon as well! I was skeptical at first but it is very good and i did not find it to be overly coconutty. i used thai kitchen coconut milk btw. i drink coffee every morning as well.

I am having the hardest time with my first-thing-in-the morning coffee habit. I know it's ok to drink coffee, but it's not ok to put cream and honey in it. I'm not a morning person at all, but am forced to get up early and get two small children and myself (and sometimes my husband) fed, dressed, brushed, packed and out the door while the sun is still rising. The one thing that has made it all possible is that 5 minutes when I sit and enjoy a crreamy, sweet cup of energy-giving gold. Everything else in the Whole30 has been ok to give up, except this one big thing. I go to bed with lots of resolve but at 7:00am I justify just one more day of cream and honey. And I don't feel like I can start counting the '30' until I figure this out. Any ideas of how to get through this? Please don't just say suck it up...

This is my hardest thing, too. I have found that cold brewed coffee is milder without the bitter taste. That has helped. I have also made a whitener with coconut milk whipped, then added an egg white and whipped more. Then I added a few spoonfuls of the liquid from the top of my ghee jar and a touch of vanilla. I use a big spoonful in my coffee. It still isn't sweet, but it isn't so bitter either. I am getting used to it.

I can't recall the link & I've not tried it myself yet but I watched a video of someone making a paleo creamer & it looked delicious.

1 egg (raw)

2 tsp coconut oil

1 can coconut milk

+ vanilla or other natural flavouring

blend

Keeps in the refridgerator for a few days.

I'll try to locate the link.

I can't recall the link & I've not tried it myself yet but I watched a video of someone making a paleo creamer & it looked delicious.

1 egg (raw)

2 tsp coconut oil

1 can coconut milk

+ vanilla or other natural flavouring

blend

Keeps in the refridgerator for a few days.

I'll try to locate the link.

Tellytelly, this one?

Michelle - I'm in a similar boat to you (though I love coffee black and unsweetened), so please take this advice from a place of camaraderie

Perhaps it would help you to change your perspective for awhile. Instead of seeing yourself as "forced to get up" against your will to get the world rolling for two not-yet-independent folks (trust me, I'm there, too), and so "deserving" of that sweet, creamy caffeine, try this one on for size:

I am blessed with two beautiful children who are still learning how to care for themselves. I created them and they look to me to help them accomplish things they cannot yet accomplish on their own. I can better do that when I make choices for myself that make me healthier and give me more energy.

This is a principle I am personally applying (sometimes out loud with my head under the covers as I fight the urge to shout "one more minute" when my 3 year old asks for Power Rangers Christmas) and it's really helping me create the energy and motivation WITHOUT the crutches on which I had been relying (read: the snooze button).

I just bought some Bulletproof coffee. Has anyone tried it? I've been drinking folgers, but without sweetener, it tastes like shoe. Lol

Holy Moly. From Folgers to Bulletproof. I bow down to you. :) Has it arrived or have you just ordered it. I really want to try it aftet my W100 is over but I'm afraid I'll never drink Stumptown coffee again. Can't wait to hear what you think.

Lol. I used to drink Illy, which i love, but they made the grind so small it clogged my machine, so i stopped. I just ordered bulletproof, and look forward to receiving it. When i do, ill definitely let u know,what i think!

Illy is my all time favorite but you are right..very fine grind that only is meant for espresso.

As far as coffee goes if I'm gonna drink it black... Which I did throughout my whole 30... I needed the best I could afford and how you treat your beans and how you brew it matters.

I buy from local roasters. It's fresh, and always get tons of good info from them on where it came from etc. these coffees often have such great smell and subtle notes cream just masks it.

I buy whole bean, I grind it right before I brew, and keep it in an fairtight container and away from light

I use a French press, I boil water in a kettle, let it come to a boil and then wait a minute before pouring on my coffee (coarse grind btw, 1 tablespoon per cup)

Then wait 4 minutes and pour... And drink. It's worth it.

I got my Bulletproof coffee this weekend, and have had it for three days so far. I do have to say it is much better than Folgers. LOL. Duh. Essentially, it doesn't have a bitter aftertaste. It is very smooth and pleasant tasting.

That said, it IS NOT Illy, which I may try again.

TracyP, you inspired me. I'm ashamed to admit my earlier coffee habits, but I have to confess to get it off my chest: I own a 14-cup coffee maker. I am the only one in our house of two who drinks coffee. So, lazy bum that I am, what I'd do is make all 14 cups, then leave the pot there and heat a cup up each morning. (I know... gross...) But after reading your post, and after getting beans from Bulletproof, I decided to pull out my French Press and give it a go.

It is very... soothing. Almost like establishing a new morning routine. I don't mind it.

I will, however, buy a can of Illy and see how it compares. I just remember drinking coffee black in Italy, and thinking, "THIS IS IT!" Why can we not get that kind of coffee here in the US?! Ugh, so frustrating.

Michelle,

I really struggled with this, too. What helped me -- in addition to the suggestions of good coffee, I like my chemex for what it's worth -- was to go straight to black coffee for a few days and suffer through it. Then, after you kind of acclimate (I don't believe I would ever fully acclimate to black coffeee), start adding coconut milk and it tastes rich and delicious. When I went from cream to coconut milk, the coconut milk didn't cut it for me. When I went from cream to black coffee and THEN to coconut milk... totally satisfying!

I got my Bulletproof coffee this weekend, and have had it for three days so far. I do have to say it is much better than Folgers. LOL. Duh. Essentially, it doesn't have a bitter aftertaste. It is very smooth and pleasant tasting.

That said, it IS NOT Illy, which I may try again.

TracyP, you inspired me. I'm ashamed to admit my earlier coffee habits, but I have to confess to get it off my chest: I own a 14-cup coffee maker. I am the only one in our house of two who drinks coffee. So, lazy bum that I am, what I'd do is make all 14 cups, then leave the pot there and heat a cup up each morning. (I know... gross...) But after reading your post, and after getting beans from Bulletproof, I decided to pull out my French Press and give it a go.

It is very... soothing. Almost like establishing a new morning routine. I don't mind it.

I will, however, buy a can of Illy and see how it compares. I just remember drinking coffee black in Italy, and thinking, "THIS IS IT!" Why can we not get that kind of coffee here in the US?! Ugh, so frustrating.

Yeah, they do know how to brew a cup in Italy! Well, I hope you enjoy your new routine. I am cultivating a relationship with the owner of my local coffee shop... Amazing what a fresh roasted well brewed cup of coffee can be! You have to find the roast and brew you love! I still love cream in my coffee... But the better the coffee... The less I want or need the cream :-)

We have Illy all over the place. In fact 2 of my often visited grocery stores carry it and there's a little cafe 2 blocks from my house that only serves Illy. Oh...you guys mean why do we have to import good coffee.

Yes, we'll Oregon also knows a bit about coffee... Texas, not so much. You gotta work a bit to find a decent cup o' joe

Archived