Soy Lecithin -- Did I Fail?

Ottagon

Considering how close you were to the start, I'd probably call it a W35 and committ to a few extra days at the end before reintroduction. The first week's detox of the old nasties is pretty important. But really, don't call it a fail, it's a lesson in label reading. Food manufacturers sneak all sorts of stuff into foods that we'd never think to closely examine. I know I made some surprising discoveries during my W30 last month, things I assumed were good because I bought them from my local granola crunchy fancy organics store had all sorts of yucky stuff in them! I was annoyed. I mean, really, you were drinking tea?! Why on earth does that need soy anything in it?

• Moderators

By the power invested in me as a Whole9 moderator, I declare you okay to just keep going. :)

Consider this a lesson learned. Unless you are very sensitive to soy, I doubt there was enough to cause trouble, but this reveals how important it is to read labels. Food manufacturers include a shocking amount of stuff that you would never imagine. I quit drinking Celestial Seasonings teas because lots of their teas include soy lecithin. The biggest surprise for me reading labels was finding sugar in most of the canned clams at my local grocery. Soy in tea and sugar in clams! Hmm.

• 2 years later...

By the power invested in me as a Whole9 moderator, I declare you okay to just keep going. :)

Consider this a lesson learned. Unless you are very sensitive to soy, I doubt there was enough to cause trouble, but this reveals how important it is to read labels. Food manufacturers include a shocking amount of stuff that you would never imagine. I quit drinking Celestial Seasonings teas because lots of their teas include soy lecithin. The biggest surprise for me reading labels was finding sugar in most of the canned clams at my local grocery. Soy in tea and sugar in clams! Hmm.

Did the rules change on this?

No. Ultimately it is up to each individual to decide whether to restart, as always. This article is the guideline. http://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/

Not sure this is responsive. Of course it's ultimately up to the individual -- always has been. The rules have at best the power of recommendation. But is it the recommendation now that soy lecithin -- or more accurately, accidental ingestion of soy lecithin -- is okay for a Whole30? Because I can point to a number of earlier threads that say the opposite.

Not sure this is responsive. 

Glenn- i'm not trying to be coy. There was a time on these boards when I and other moderators used to put blanket restart requirements out there. We would say any ingestion (accidental or not) of soy, carageenan, dairy or gluten was automatically cause for a restart mandated by the program, and that, on the flip side, accidental sugar got a pass. Over time, our experience and Melissa's guidance has brought us to the point were we really really try to get whole30ers to come to their own decisions about restarting. This does not mean that soy is any less of a gut disruptor than it was in 2012. It just means context matters. The article I linked gives nuanced advice on how to use context to make a determination. 

Ottagon thanks for your posting I just discovered that my green tea I love without sweeter has soy lecithen. I have not started whole 30 as I am just trying to get this down pat before I do and judging from the looks of things it may be 2016. I am amazed and learning that you have to read every word on every lable and know what those words are.

No, Tom was just granting Ottagon special dispensation in this case.

This makes no sense. If it's okay in this case, then obviously it's okay in every similar case.

Glenn- i'm not trying to be coy. There was a time on these boards when I and other moderators used to put blanket restart requirements out there. We would say any ingestion (accidental or not) of soy, carageenan, dairy or gluten was automatically cause for a restart mandated by the program, and that, on the flip side, accidental sugar got a pass. Over time, our experience and Melissa's guidance has brought us to the point were we really really try to get whole30ers to come to their own decisions about restarting. This does not mean that soy is any less of a gut disruptor than it was in 2012. It just means context matters. The article I linked gives nuanced advice on how to use context to make a determination. 

My original question was "Did the rules change on this?" My takeaway from your answer is that they have. All I wanted to know.

My original question was "Did the rules change on this?" 

The rules have always said ingestion of anything off plan (even sugar, even by accident) requires a restart, but yes. Our guidance has changed a little.

I hope it doesn't cause confusion for you Glenn--I would think, at this point, that you are well situated to make your own decisions knowing how different things effect your personal body and context. 

The rules have always said ingestion of anything off plan (even sugar, even by accident) requires a restart, but yes. Our guidance has changed a little.

I hope it doesn't cause confusion for you Glenn--I would think, at this point, that you are well situated to make your own decisions knowing how different things effect your personal body and context. 

No confusion for me. I'm happily riding my own bike. But I do like to help around here, so I wanted to clarify where the line is now.

Archived