Johnny's 2013 whole30

Johnny M

Day 6! I made it through my work dinner last night and while my favorite sonoma wines were being poured liberally I abstained. Tonight I'll be joining friends for a bday celebration. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't really nervous about having to go to a bar. It's not I'll slip but I'll be fairly anxious and annoyed all night watching others doing shots and getting sloppy. So I've promised myself it's ok to duck out whenever I want for whatever reason I want as long as I make an appearance and spend a little time with my friends. I've got some new activities lined up like bowling, billiards, and indoor rock climbing starting next week.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Johnny, I go back and forth on socializing when on a challenge. Luckily, I have lots of supportive friends, but sometimes it's hard. It's harder to be a hermit though so I do the sneaky dickens duck out thing sometimes. There are times that I will see someone drinking an ice cold cosmo and I want to knock their block off. Other times, it doesn't phase me. :)

Good news folks...the bar night was a breeze! And I enjoyed it more sober than drinking in a lot of ways. It's nice to be coherent! The bar/restaurant even had some food and I got to snack on some whole30 compliant brussel sprout leaves with mushrooms, hamhocks, and preserved lemon. It was amaaaaazing. Today is day 7! I just had some leftover steak and eggs and some spinach. Hope you're all doing well!

Day 8! It feels incredible to have a week behind me. I thought this was going to be so much harder than it is. Fingers crossed that this continues. I've survived many of my hardest challenges in 1 week already; work dinner, work catered lunch, bar night with friends, etc. I've had less than optimal days in terms of food choices, days I was VERY hungry because I was abstaining, but all in all I've chalked those up to par for the course (and life I suppose), taken the learning experience, and moved on. I have had one or two moments of pity for myself, mostly followed by intense cravings for ice cream, wine, and sushi, but they passed. Today I'm going to work on my blog a bit. I'm heading out to an asian market to get some ingredients for a thai dish I'll share with you all once ready. I'll also throw about 4 lbs of brisket in the oven again so I have easy lunches ready to go this week. Happy Sunday, everyone!

Day 9. These days are flying by. I have found that once you've done a whole30, doing another one shortly after that one seems to be a bit of a challenge. Slips are easier, my ability to stay the course wanes, and they're just not as great. Waiting 6-12 months however...wow! What a difference. I dove head first into this thing and I know all I need to know to make the most out of this and it's going swimmingly. Having this forum and reading your stories sure does help. Hope everyone else is doing well!

Day 9. These days are flying by. I have found that once you've done a whole30, doing another one shortly after that one seems to be a bit of a challenge. Slips are easier, my ability to stay the course wanes, and they're just not as great. Waiting 6-12 months however...wow! What a difference. I dove head first into this thing and I know all I need to know to make the most out of this and it's going swimmingly. Having this forum and reading your stories sure does help. Hope everyone else is doing well!

Nice to know - I'm going to keep this in mind for when I finish my Whole100 (April 10 is my last day).

wow 100 is ambitious and awesome. I don't know if my experience applies to everyone but let me know :) If these 30 days go well, I'm going to do another or do another at 95% where for instance I'll eat a steak at a restaurant that has butter on it, if it's my only source of butter in my diet, or I'll allow some yucca fries at my favorite Peruvian rotisserie restaurant because I'd rather stick hot pokers in my eye than never eat them even though I know nothing in life is that crispy without being dusted in gluten.

wow 100 is ambitious and awesome. I don't know if my experience applies to everyone but let me know :) If these 30 days go well, I'm going to do another or do another at 95% where for instance I'll eat a steak at a restaurant that has butter on it, if it's my only source of butter in my diet, or I'll allow some yucca fries at my favorite Peruvian rotisserie restaurant because I'd rather stick hot pokers in my eye than never eat them even though I know nothing in life is that crispy without being dusted in gluten.

It works for me since I rarely eat out. Haha I want those yucca fries though. I plan on adding in other things (err, after the Whole100 that is), but the sugar dragon is really insane and I need to be good and eat my mayonnaise.

I made homemade buffalo wings and you're jealous. These are simple facts.

You are correct.

I'm on the whole100 with Amy too, I will be interested to see if my sugar dragon has packed up and gone home or just camping out.

I'm enjoying reading your experiences. I'm doing better than I thought I would passing on food and alcohol at finger food events, I just make sure I have a yummy dinner first.

I like the way day7 to 10/14 always seems to fly by.

Hmm I don't think it was me. I have a pulled chicken with sage cream sauce on spaghetti squash recipe. Is that what you're thinking of?

Side note: I and we don't advocate whole30 as a weight loss protocol. Regardless, for many, eating clean and letting your body heal does result in weight loss, even for those that think they're already eating a mostly "paleo" diet (ahem...like me). So it's nice to hear from a coworker on day 10 "what's going on with you? How did you slim down overnight?"

Good luck!

I've been snacking on this ginger beet kraut I bought at whole foods that's so tasty I recommend you look for it in yours (if you're in CA the brand is farmhouse culture).

One of my health food stores here in Texas just started selling the Farmhouse Culture krauts, and the horseradish leek is a revelation.

And the smoked jalapeno. They don't carry the ginger beet but I may ask them to order it special for moi. I know Tom likes these too- he mentions them on his website. Seriously, so good it makes me want to not even bother making my own kraut anymore. My mouth is watering just thinking about the horseradish leek- I've eaten it with every meal today.

One of my health food stores here in Texas just started selling the Farmhouse Culture krauts, and the horseradish leek is a revelation.

And the smoked jalapeno. They don't carry the ginger beet but I may ask them to order it special for moi. I know Tom likes these too- he mentions them on his website. Seriously, so good it makes me want to not even bother making my own kraut anymore. My mouth is watering just thinking about the horseradish leek- I've eaten it with every meal today.

I feel the same way...I stopped making my own. It just wasn't worth it considering all the variety I could get for a few bucks by running to the store! They sell it out of barrels at my farmers market too.

Archived