Johnny's 2013 whole30

Johnny M

My clothes have literally become baggy in just 10 days. It's unbelievable!

I'm jealous... I think I gained back the weight I lost on my whole30 in the first half of my whole100 :( but now I am well and truly over the extinction burst and not overeating nuts and overdosing on coffee I can feel the excess staring to slowly reduce....

I heard arrowroot can be used to make parsnip fries crispy. We don't have yucca here, guessing its similar....

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My body is particularly sensitive to food and water/weight gain. I can lose 10 lbs in a week and I can gain it in 5 days. Before starting i was really off the wagon, drinking multiples days a week, eating very starchy carby SWYPO foods (like paleo pizzas), and eating a lot of dairy and sushi rice. I can literally feel my body rebel when that happens and I visibly bloat and swell everywhere so in just a matter of days I return to a normal non-bloated self...thin and goal weight is another topic so don't let my experience mislead anyone...it's not always typical and it's not even my goal...it's just my body expressing it's non-inflamed self!

I have been looking for spaghetti squash for months :(

In the past I used to gain three kgs in a weekend away (gluten) and lose it at the rate of 0.5kgs a day. Fluid retention mainly?

I am not really overweight but a lot of my clothes are a bit tight. I find it is a lot harder to gain weight on a whole30 (the food cranks your metabolism) but it can be done! Interestingly most of the excess goes where it should ...thighs and butt rather than stomach and upper body. As I expect happened in cavemen days?

I think nuts, coffee and dried fruit do increase inflammation for me so although 'compliant' having more than a very small amount prevents me from being in a "non-inflamed" state. I like this way of looking at it, thanks!

Day 12 and I hate the world today. I woke up cranky and angry and have a long day of meetings to deal with. All I can think about is that I deserve a glass of wine today. That's how I'd normally cope. I won't give in but the fact that I can't have it is making me angrier. ARGH. How do you all deal with these days?

Having one of those days myself I cooked steak at 6 am and went to buy ballet slippers at lunch. I guess this will not work for you :) Here is my "bad day" activities to get distracted:

- do something that you have promised to do to yourself forever but have always postponed for later (dunno organize your music folders?). Feel like a superhero after.

- go check cool spot in the city you've never been to. Gallery? Concept store? Kitchen stuff? Book/music store?

- plan something fun to do for you and friends - from basic movies night to trip somewhere?

- make new recipe (and post it for us haha)

And bacon, clearly.

Feel better!

Having one of those days myself I cooked steak at 6 am and went to buy ballet slippers at lunch. I guess this will not work for you :) Here is my "bad day" activities to get distracted:

- do something that you have promised to do to yourself forever but have always postponed for later (dunno organize your music folders?). Feel like a superhero after.

- go check cool spot in the city you've never been to. Gallery? Concept store? Kitchen stuff? Book/music store?

- plan something fun to do for you and friends - from basic movies night to trip somewhere?

- make new recipe (and post it for us haha)

And bacon, clearly.

Feel better!

OMG, Nadia...I was snowed in one weekend and rolled my entire container of coins that had been accumulating for like..7ish years. 110 bucks later, I feel _awesome_ about it.

the pink tutu scares my cats.

Johnny your cat would probably like the combo of tutu and Prather bacon together. Cat has to have a nibble though. Of the bacon.

When is the last time you visited the Coit tower? The cute little elevator guy alone will cheer you up. Plus it's an awesome place to listen in on tourist conversations.

When is the last time you visited the Coit tower? The cute little elevator guy alone will cheer you up. Plus it's an awesome place to listen in on tourist conversations.

Cute like a muppet? Or cute like you want to set me up? :P I have never been!

Cute like a muppet? Or cute like you want to set me up? :P I have never been!

Oh...totally cute like a muppet. Let me work on the set up thing. :) My friend Joseph took me there on a hangover morning. He has lived there all his life and had never been. He still speaks of it fondly. That and the spying we did up on a hill somewhere where the people are so rich they have no window coverings. Horrible influence on me he is. :0)

Well holy crap. It's day 14! It's unbelievable to me how long I put off doing another whole30 and now two weeks into it I have no idea why. This week was particularly hard. I had long stressful days at work and felt like I had no way to cope without my favorite sushi buffet and my martini bar that makes cucumber martinis the size of my head. But guess what? I survived. I. Aways. Survive. (<---huge reminder to self). I found a new (old...but forgotten) coping technique...regular workouts. I finally got up to my goal 3 workouts a week. I have a friend who tells me all the time "awesome begets awesome". It's kind of how I feel about whole30...it starts with food and so many other things in life start to fall into place for me when I'm on one. Tomorrow I'll be halfway through!

I haven't done a W30 in such a long time, Johnny. I totally hear your sentiment. I'm always like, "oh, I'm a seasoned pro; this amt of sugar in my chicken sausages is fine," or "oh, I'm out with friends so infrequently, this app won't kill me." Creeping elegance like whoa!

Looking forward to the next month!

Last year when I did 2 or 3 whole30s the most rewarding part was that I was able to fit into some old clothes again. It was awesome! I wore those clothes proudly...to dinner...to bars...to cabo...and eventually they stopped fitting. Today they fit again! I love my whole30.

So I hosted a little dinner party last night...made a kale salad, roasted cauliflower soup, pot roast with balsamic reduction, and mint chocolate chip dairy free coconut milk ice cream (for the others...not me :)). It was a huge success! But there was an interesting conversation between me and 2 guests, a friend and a Dr. friend:

Friend: I get horrible heart burn

Dr: Do you take medication for it??

Me: those are all so bad for you

Dr: Uh...no they're not! They work! And acid reflux causes esophogeal cancer...THAT'S bad for you

Me: Well what I mean is...you can treat it with changes to diet and those medications that lower stomach acid keep you from absorbing nutrients

Dr: You're actually right. But people don't change diets.

How sad is that? Take a minute and pat yourself on the back if you're reading this because if you're here, you're probably thinking about or actually changing your diet.

Johnny, I actually see that as quite a positive comment from the doc because they knew that diet can change problems. My doc used to glaze over when I'd try to talk about the benefits of no grains, dairy, legumes and sugar.

Day 16! I am over the hump! I'm feeling phenominal. Last week was HARD. I kept wanting to do happy hours and binge on drinks and apps but I didn't. I did go to a bar once or twice but kept to my seltzer water (which bars in SF have the nerve to charge $4 for). I'm looking forward to these next two weeks going by just as smoothly...just in time for me to head home to my parents for easter. For anyone that was following me last time this year you know I have a fail proof plan! When I arrived at my parents last year I stole their car and headed straight to whole foods where I stocked up on eggs, bacon, spaghetti squash, and a mess of veggies. I made my own breakfast each day I was staying with my parents and for easter my mother made pasta with her homemade meat sauce and a ham. I used the meat sauce on spaghetti squash, ate some ham, and made some mashed sweet potatoes (which were better than her baked sweet gooey yams - sorry, Mom). Just remember plan plan plan and things aren't so hard! Maybe this year I'll whip together a compliant-ish dessert since I'll be done with the whole30 by then.

Thanks for the fried egg tutorial you posted a couple weeks ago. Like, BIG thanks.

Backstory- when I first moved in with my now husband I left my nonstick skillet for making eggs behind as he is a major cookware snob. We fought A LOT about the proper use and care of a $200 knife, cast iron, stainless steel pans etc. I had to totally relearn how to make eggs and I was none too happy about it. There were fits, tantrums, ultimatums, slammed doors, and a

few tears. Over the years I've too become an the subtle nuances of cooking with cast iron and stainless steel but there hasn't been a single thing I've been able to teach him.

UNTIL NOW! I havent been able to show him the magical perfection of an egg fried in cast iron with A LID ON IT as he is out of town, but I told him I had a new way to fry an egg and he sounded intrigued and maybe a little jealous. Mwah hah haaaah...revenge is savory!

Archived