Anyone Starting 3/11 (Monday)?

Jessica M.

I am just so bored with food. This is actually a good thing, it's not pushing me to eat more, on the contrary, it just means I only care to eat because I am actually hungry.

I haven't had time to fuss with my food at all, so it's been very, very basic.

I am going to need to continue with this for some time, so I hope I have more room to get a little creative with meals.

Pea

I had the opposite experience with my first Whole 30. I made elaborate meals and then just pared things down to what I really like and what really satisfies me. With Spring coming there will be lots of good stuff at farmer's markets to spice things up. Just adding a spicy guacamole as a side can give you a lift. You are doing GREAT. Hang in there with all the stress you have right now!

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carolyn: listen to what Helen says she is correct. I couldn't resist but I will tell you something interesting....a few days ago, I had only lost 2 lbs so like I said for me the magic starts in week 3. I won't weigh myself anymore. It's an obsessive game. Easy to say but oh so hard to do when I am naked in my bathroom alone with it before a shower....But Helen is truly correct. That is a big NO NO in W30.

On a different note, my cravings have completely diminished. I am not craving food between meals or hungry. I eat 3 meals per day and am satiated which for me is the biggest accomplishment. My digestive difficulties are disappearing. Last night at this fancy steak house in Manhattan, they delivered bread and I didn't touch it. I thought, that crap makes you soooo sick. I asked the waiter to substitute my potatoes with plain asparagus. I ate plain lump crabmeat with drawn butter. It was awesome! So it is doable. Even when you go out to dinner. Sorry to set a bad example with the scale. I am human but I am glad it is working. NEver doubt this process. This is W30 number 4 for me and it always works....

Yeah, the scale thing is an issue for me, too, as I have at least at least 30 pounds to lose. I am trying to be realistic: I am 58 years old; I've had almost relentless stress for the past 6 years; I'm menopausal; I've just had surgery and six weeks of being sedentary; and I have tons of medical challenges. It's not realistic to think weight is going to fall off me.

I have snuck on the scale twice, the first time was gratifying but the second not. I am getting weighed (with bodyfat%) once a month at the doc's and that will have to suffice. I go tomorrow.

Pea

Yeah, the scale thing is an issue for me, too, as I have at least at least 30 pounds to lose. I am trying to be realistic: I am 58 years old; I've had almost relentless stress for the past 6 years; I'm menopausal; I've just had surgery and six weeks of being sedentary; and I have tons of medical challenges. It's not realistic to think weight is going to fall off me.

That's my story Pea....54 years old, 30 lbs overweight and relentless stress for 6 yrs with menopause. I have been working a very stressful full time job while going to college part time at night for 6 years. I put two kids through college during that time and one is staying an extra year due to change in majors. Financial, emotional, hormonal stress equals food as an addiction and great weight gain. With this program, I receive my hunger cues back and my adrenals calm down. I walk for exercise for now. I can't be jumping around doing aerobics at my age and in my adrenal status. That can come down the line.....I am just trying to detox, get my hunger cues back and relax my adrenal gland. This program helps me do that. I am not going to lose 30 lbs overnight but at least I have hope if I change my lifestyle to this way of living....the current SAD and crazy lifestyle had to go out the window. Life is too short to feel like crap!

Hi guys welcome to day 18!!!!

Well im still goin strong. not done as much exercise as I hoped. Well I do a lot in some folks eyes lol.

Well not much to report. Sleeping better again so that's good. A but fed up with people judging me for doin whole 30 but that's there problem.

Hope were all good. Xx

Glad to see so many successes from everyone!

Tveen - I'm in awe that you carried those things around with you but were able to not eat them! Impressive!!

I figured out how to not care about the scale for a Whole30. Don't weigh yourself before it starts. ;) I'm serious. I hadn't been on a scale since the end of my last whole30 when I started this one (about a month) so I just didn't weigh. I figured...what did it matter? What I hadn't counted on was how it has totally freed me DURING the whole30. I see our scale every time I clean out the cat's litter box and I have zero interest in it. Even if I were to step on it, I would have no idea if I was up or down so I just don't bother. I judge my body on how I feel, the mirror and my clothing and it is incredibly freeing!!

That said, two days ago I was feeling like I was bloated and not seeing the fat loss I'd seen in other Whole30's and it was kind of getting to me. Then, like magic, this morning I felt slimmer. Go figure. I'm just trying to trust the process. It's hard for me not to over-analyze or tweak the hell out of things but I'm doing my best to just let go, follow the rules, and let my body do what it needs to do. Easier said than done, I think!

Still plugging away in Day 18 over here. I can relate with most all of these posts - actively avoiding the scale (although it's easier right now as I suspect it would look about the same) and hoping for the "week 3 magic" :)

Cravings have been up too. I cater specialty cakes, so I've been hands deep in butter, sugar, and batter. It's not been hard, but last night I made a particular mocha cake that has this icing I would have love, loved to eat. And the bread at our our friends house for dinner. I don't eat wheat, so I haven't had regular bread in ages, but this cheese and herb bread... Goodness. I made it through the day compliant and realized the dinner with our friends was just as fun without bread and cake. I didn't miss out on anything but the wheat...side effects. It was lovely!

Food has gotten boring for me too, but in a good way. Real food doesn't seem to have such addictive powers as some of the things I was eating before, specifically snack things like popcorn and crackers. I feel like I've eaten after meals now, when I used to eat a whole meal and simetimes not be close to being satisfied. Can I say again how great it is to not count calories?

I have also had a crazy headache for two days. Hoping more water and a nap will kick it...

Checking in. I had a crazy day yesterday and didn't get to write in the forum, but I have been keeping up on everyone's progress. It sounds like everyone is doing amazing :)

I don't have much to report, I have stayed compliant and feel great! I love how much better my mood is and how much better I handle stress! I sleep like a rock and fall asleep as soon as I hit the pillow at night. My skin looks better (not that it was awful before, but I know my trouble zones and where to look) and I can tell my clothes are fitting better. I love that I don't feel all bloaty and gross after meals.

I've been a little down this week because my kids have been at their dad's all week and I miss them like crazy! But they are enjoying it and don't see him as often as they should, so I'm happy for them.

I went to yoga Tuesday and as long as I get through all my errands today, I'll be back to yoga tonight. If not, I have some home workouts I can sub in. As far as working out goes, I'm starting slow and getting my body used to it again.

Happy Day 18, we are nearly 2/3 of the way through! I think it's gone fast!

Oh dear. This morning I lifted a bag of heavy books and I felt something pop in my spine and now I am pretty messed up with pain. My hard desk chair is the most comfortable position for me. Lying down feels awful.

It's always sumpin'. This spine problem is a big reason I am doing the autoimmune protocol because I have autoimmune arthritis there. This sucks big time. I just can't seem to get enough space in my life to focus on myself and heal. I guess this is what happens when you feel that way: your body makes space and time.

so my husband got me this FITBIT for my birthday in February. It is a preorder item. You wear a bracelet and it holds info on how much you walked, how well you slept, and how much you weigh....it tracks your progress and links to your phone of computer for weekly progress. I am bummed because they gave us a spring date for delivery. They have extended this to May. :angry: I have a pedometer but I walk so much. I park my car far away in parking lots and walk malls etc....this will accurately reflect my daily walking, mileage, pace etc...

http://www.fitbit.com/

Here I am. I guess my eating of that soup the other night has had an affect on my body. . . I just haven't felt as good as before and am so much sleepier. I was beginning to feel a lot more energy before my slip Monday night.

I have continued to eat well, staying compliant and hope I get back that feeling I had before.

You all continue to help me. I really enjoy reading about your experiences. Meatballs and sauce and orange pepper strips today for lunch. They are yummy, leftover from dinner last night that my daughter made. I think the recipe was from clothesmakethegirl.com

Keep up the good work everyone. Happy Day 18!

Ruthanne

Busy family day: eating on the go....went to a big museum n they had healthy salads... Had a cashew butter snack but skipped dinner because I m not feeling inspired ...coffee n coconut milk. Feeling a bit discouraged because I too want to lose approx 30 lbs. n this is sloooower than I am used to; but is giving me self control n the ability to regulate my body n cues! I have to admit at day 18 I am looking forward to day thirty...not to go crazy just to make some healthy tweaks that I think might move me to long term success:-) I can't believe how wonderful everyone is doing!! Does anyone have a plan how they plan to add/adjust plan after30 days...if at all.

Kristy: I try to do the Paleo 80/20 plan afterward....that is 80 per cent of the time I eat paleo and 20 percent I don't. But I can't go back to processed foods or sugar....the trigger is far too great and spirals me out of control!

So are we all posting less often to this thread because it's getting easier for all of us? Or is it because we've lost some of the group??

This is my third Whole30 and I'm doing it because I was losing control post-Whole30. It's weird. I was paleo before I found this program so I was already grains, legumes and dairy free anyway. I still used natural sugars and those are clearly my nemesis! But what is weird is that all the reintroduction work I've done has helped me really zero in on what things I need to avoid at all costs and which ones I can 'get away with'. Its that 'getting away with it' feeling that has been a problem for me. If the foods don't cause noticeable reactions, I have a hard time resisting them (even though the act of being unable to resist IS the reaction!) and I over-indulge. Wheat and sugar fall into these categories. Corn, soy and most dairy are on the avoid-at-all-costs list.

I'm doing this one as a Whole60 to teach myself in no uncertain terms that I CAN do this long term and that it is not difficult or painful or 'impossible'. Then I'm going to learn the difference between a special occasion and my whiny inner child who wants something 'just because'. 'Just because' is not a special occasion! ;)

We'll see how it goes. Right now, I don't really miss anything which is always kind of a shocker to me!

This is my second and I had chocolate this week. I did my first in January and it was awesome and I stayed mostly compliant in February (a few meals out only) but I was snacking and wanted to cement things for myself.

I am staying the course until the 13th (I go out of town for a fun trip). I feel great right now. Tiger blood kicking in for sure. I am a little disappointed in myself that I had the chocolate but I am happy I didn't just call it quits (I do have to live with the fact that my husband who is doing his second as well has been so perfect still this Whole 30).

I made a lot of other 'Whole 9' goals for myself and have really been progressing with those (limiting computer time, getting more sleep).

I don't want to discourage anyone though. You all can totally do it. I mean I signed up for this second one because the first one just worked out SO great for me. This is the way I need to eat. I wrestle with the amount of meat but I have added more fish this time which was also one of my goals.

The first one I learned tons and this one tons too even if I had a little offroading mishap. I really appreciate ISWF too. I think the 'food without brakes' is literally the truth for me (so many of us).

I was struggling all week last week but today I feel right back on track. Also, it took me until about a week ago to finally start feeling hungry in the morning when I woke up. I think my hormones are finally on track the way they should be !!

Good luck to everyone! You can do it and you will be so glad you stuck with it!!!

this is my fourth W30 and I can do them solo....I started that way this time. I still do my log as that keeps me accountable and I can also look back if I have a bad craving and sort things through. I can tell you, I feel fabulous. Tiger blood is in full force. My husband and I created a hiking tour of southern Utah National Parks this summer on our day off this week. That gives me motivation to get to my normal BMI which is 30 lbs from here....maybe 25, we shall see. Cravings have diminished greatly. I notice this especially between meals. I don't think of food all day, just at meals which is HUGE for me.

SAD had created an intestinal monster and that is gone. My skin is clearing. My mind is clearing. I am sleeping better. I am going to try a run today instead of a walk. I am a former marathon runner but age and weight has ended that for me....but I can run 3 miles once or twice a week for my exercise program (schlog, that is ).

I really treasure all of your posts. First thing in the morning I look at them all. If I don't comment, I still see them and like them. Helps me to realize there are others out there in the universe doing this too. I think the entire country needs to take a look at our contaminated food system. Ever since my son went away to college he has been plagued with all kinds of issues. When he comes home for a week and eats well with us, they all diminish.....At 22, he is not going to change much, but we have introduced him to better eating habits and he tries as much as he can on his own in a house with 9 guys....

Good health and peace to all on this thread. Thanks for supporting me along the way!

I do not feel amazingly well, but I didn't expect to on my first whole30. I've got a lot of medical issues to heal, and I'm working with an alternative care doc who wants me on the autoimmune protocol, so no eggs and no nightshades.

It's been a very stressful time for me, and I am feeling that out of gas adrenal fatigue-y thing.

Here's what I KNOW I must avoid: sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar.

I KNOW I must deeply nourish my poor battered exhausted body.

I just plan on continuing after this stint is over. But I would like to add yogurt---even more than eggs, and I thought I couldn't do without eggs! When I have more energy, I'd like to get into cooking some of those glorious meals I see on websites and in cookbooks. I have been basically roasting chicken and turkey, pan-frying steaks and burgers, and eating them along with cooked greens. Not very exciting. An orange or berries here and there, and there you have it.

Once I get a chance to catch my breath, my intention is to be more creative in the kitchen. Today I am very disappointed because my attempt to make coconut yogurt utterly failed. I followed directions from cultures for health and it just didn't set up, even with the addition of gelatin. So sad! I love yogurt!

Pea

Thanks for the updates everyone. I love having the accountability here.

I've remained compliant, except for an Altoid (peppermint) Someone unexpectedly rang our doorbell, and it was morning so I had unbrushed teeth plus coffee breath. I unthinkingly grabbed an Altoid on my way to answer the door. Later I looked at the label and thought "well, crap". Sugar. But good grief, hopefully it's not enough to ruin things.

Good Friday was a tiny challenge, since I chose to abstain from meat and fast. Scrambled eggs with asparagus and mushrooms for breakfast, a handful of nuts for lunch, and a veggie curry for supper. Probably not enough protein for the day, but oh well.

We have a compliant Easter meal planned---well except for the potato casserole, cake and ice cream. But I won't eat those. I'll enjoy the Turkey, salad, spinach cooked in coconut oil (my favorie), and either broccoli or sweet potatos.

How is everyone's mood? I am feeling happy and joyful most of the time, but then I've also been sometimes lashing out, too. Maybe somehow with all this we feel our feelings more strongly?

I do not feel amazingly well, but I didn't expect to on my first whole30. I've got a lot of medical issues to heal, and I'm working with an alternative care doc who wants me on the autoimmune protocol, so no eggs and no nightshades.

It's been a very stressful time for me, and I am feeling that out of gas adrenal fatigue-y thing.

Here's what I KNOW I must avoid: sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar.

I KNOW I must deeply nourish my poor battered exhausted body.

I just plan on continuing after this stint is over. But I would like to add yogurt---even more than eggs, and I thought I couldn't do without eggs! When I have more energy, I'd like to get into cooking some of those glorious meals I see on websites and in cookbooks. I have been basically roasting chicken and turkey, pan-frying steaks and burgers, and eating them along with cooked greens. Not very exciting. An orange or berries here and there, and there you have it.

Once I get a chance to catch my breath, my intention is to be more creative in the kitchen. Today I am very disappointed because my attempt to make coconut yogurt utterly failed. I followed directions from cultures for health and it just didn't set up, even with the addition of gelatin. So sad! I love yogurt!

Pea

I know your background is allopathic medicine but have you ever considered acupuncture? I think that it would help you immensely--with the stress, adrenal fatigue. I love it and I'm a scientist too ;)

Helen, thank you for the suggestion. I have done acupuncture with good success in the past. I went to see my practitioner on Friday and he did some chiropractic that helped me enormously. Then yesterday I did absolutely nothing but rest, read, and have quiet and that helped a lot. I feel a lot better today.

Since I know I have to continue this protocol at least another month, I hopped down to the "starting April 1st" group to do another whole30 in good company...:)

Wishing all who celebrate a joyful and spiritual Easter.

Pea

Hey all!

I'm still plugging away over here. I admit that while I haven't been eating any non-compliant foods, I feel like I've veered very far from the food template lately. I don't know what my issue is, but I just can't seem to get on track in terms of regular meals with the exception of breakfast. But, that's the weekend for you, I suppose.

Today, I'll be better. I've had a good breakfast and I've packed a good lunch, so half the battle is already won!

I've been getting a lot more exercise, too. Lovely weather has helped on that front but I feel so much better about life in general when I'm getting regular exercise. Right now, I'm focusing on biking and Pilates, but I'm definitely going to start running soon.

Archived