Anyone Starting 3/11 (Monday)?

Jessica M.

Hey folk how we coping? Pea hope ur dad is on the mend and those who were poorly are feeling better.

Well start of day 6 for me (I'm in the uk) hav woke up grumpy and tired as my husband who gave in to alcohol last ngt tossed and turned all night in his sleep. The words divorce spring to mind. Not a happy bunny.

Plus I hav no idea what to hav for my dinner, got two chicken breast that need to b eaten today. It's hard to come up with something last minute. Need to b better prepared.

Hav a good day folks. X

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting day 6 - didn't eat until 12:30 because of working out and going to coffee with my husband. Leftover chicken thighs, celery and whole30 mayo making some nice chicken salad.

I am really feeling good, but am waiting for my energy levels to kick in. I feel like I have been tired since having young children who are now 23 and 21!

I am grateful for all of you who are sharing your journeys.

-Ruthanne

Thank you, 3/11'ers, for the prayers and good wishes for my dad. He looked good today, better actually than he did before the heart attack. He's actually a little euphoric, I think. Whether this is just from having survived a near-death experience, or a result of the episode, time will tell.

To the poster whose dad has cancer----stay strong, stay off the weed, stay whole30 and be well! We can help each other through the rough spots.

I am just emotionally wrung out, feeling exhausted and yet jumpy at the same time. But I am sticking tough and doing great. In a way, I'm not focused on food so much because of all that's going on. (I'm a caregiver for my disabled young adult son, so caring for my mom and dad as well is a lot)

I'm starting to develop a routine that is working well for me. I go to the farmer's market every Saturday and I buy a giant chicken----well, it seems giant compared to what's available in the supermarket. I get one that's 6 pounds. I also buy root veggies: turnips, carrots, and beets. I also buy a large quantity of arugala, radish sprouts or pea sprouts, and winter spinach. I buy some kind of fish from the fishmonger.

Those foods give us meal for a few days, between the fish meal on Saturday, roast chicken on Sunday, and some kind of cooked-chicken-casserole on Monday.

I do find it is necessary to have lots of roasted veggies on hand as well as a ton of frozen veggies so I don't have that sinking "there's nothing to eat" feeling when looking in the frig.

Anyway, I'm doing really well, and my waistband is getting looser!

Pea

Today was a Whole30 challenge for me. Great day, starting with yoga and eggs with spinach, onion, garlic and tomato. It is sunny and 71 today and we rode bikes along the river and man I wanted a nice margarita on an outside patio! But I remain virtuous. Instead I had chocolate chili leftovers wtih a whole tomato and a whole onion and some Kombucha!

@Belinda...that is too funny; I gave up alchohol some time ago, so that is the only "easy" part of this so far for me; I did not have to sniff their cupcakes tonight...Progress!!! ( I am however a bit over-reliant on coffee) Oh well...Progress not perfection!

Just a note; made chicken and sausage for dinner...served over rice for family

I made Butternut squash sauteed with chickenbroth; garlic, rosemary, oliveoil, salt and mashed it....ate my dinner over that and it was really good!!

Keep Going...you each inspire me!!!!

I made it through the birthday party! I found it was way harder to look at cheese and not have some rather than cake. We made tacos for the party. I made my own version with grass fed beef and lots of veggies. I made my plate first and set it aside so I didn't have to go through the tempting assembly line for tacos. It worked well. And when time for cake came, I was still so satisfyingly full from my "taco salad" that it was an easy pass. I felt like I had a major victory!

@Kristy Cas Congrats on not having to sniff anything today, I didn't either :) Lol

Day 6 was successful for me as well :) Went to a tournament celebration meal with delish beer on tap and a set dinner menu. Went prepared by looking at the food choices online and drinking several glasses of sparkling water once I was there as we waited for dinner (avoiding cheese apps and lovely stouts...). Fortunately, there was undressed salad, top round roast (sooo good), steamed asparagus, and a ton of fresh fruit. Dessert was an easy pass after such a nice meal and I got some extra water in too! Win-win.

I also got my first body compliment from none other than my husband! A compliment from him is notoriously a huge thing, he's very honest. Brutally, in fact :) But it was out of the blue and made my day. I know I've been feeling less fluffy the past day or two, so I'm happy it's starting to show!

I hope everyone's week has been going well! We made it to day 7 yay! I am at my parents house for the weekend but thank God it has not been as hard as it usually is! My mom made sure to stock up the house with a ton of fresh fruits and veggies and meat! Yay for mama :) today may be a little challenging as I am supposed to eat out for lunch after church and for dinner with some friends. But I already researched the restaurants for whole30 options and should be good to go! I still am a little anxious about eating out tho...

Has anyone eaten out yet? What has your experience been like? My biggest concern is the soybean/canola oil over-abundance in the restaurant world...

Good luck to you all today!

I have eaten out a couple times. Do not be afraid to ask questions! I stuck with salads, requesting changes as needed, and grilled protein options. I even asked what they season their meat with before grilling. I made my waitress a tad uncomfortable my last trip, I think, but I threw in a little extra tip for her patience. If nothing else, blame it on allergies ;)

I second checking over the menu first. I felt a lot better going knowing there was most likely something complient. Allergies are also a great thing to say, and in a way true! I know when I was a server, if anyone used the A word, I was way more understanding...nobody wants to chance killing you ;)

Well day 7 nearly over. Heading out to a nightshift but stocked up with boiled eggs, chilli chicken and a piece of fruit for emergencys. Lol

Well so far cravings ok, no bloat, bowel movements good (sorry tmi). But still really tired. I do work a lot and with the exercise I suppose its normal but can't wait to feel full of energy!!!

Must drink more water! Goin to try some new chicken recipes this wk, as all apart from the chilli chicken has been bland. I feel free to giv suggestions ;-)

Can't believe I made it a week! :-) soo pleased as everyone thought I'd fail.

Goin to do some serious weight training this week as I've been slacking for wks.

Hope ur all doin well. Xxxx

I've had to eat in the hospital cafeteria twice now. The first time I had roast chicken and steamed zucchini, and the second time I had a mixed green salad with roasted chicken, olive oil and vinegar, and an orange for dessert.

It's easiest in diners with that have a full menu, or high-er end restaurants.

In the hospital cafeteria, there were packets of extra virgin olive oil, in little foil packets like salad dressings come in. I want to find a source for them---so easy to carry around in a purse.

I'm still 100% and feeling good, even with the stress of my dad's illness and caring for my mom. Something really feels like it's shifting to the good today.

Pea

I do have to say I believe I handle stressful situations much better now than I did a week ago. Today, for instance, I got my truck stuck in the sand, had a flat tire, broke up with my boyfriend (long time coming, just had to grow a pair and do it), made a 3 hr road trip (round trip), and argued with a cousin on my return time (her son was with me). In the end, the day was good and I was able to smile through it all. I don't think it's so much the internal affects of the dietary changes, but more that I just feel better so I'm more easily able to handle everything.

Not to mention, I really look forward to checking in and gaining motivation and support from the group each day. It is so nice havi g people who understand and are going through the same changes :)

Hi Everyone. I havn't checked the thread for a few days, and wow! Hugs, cheers, prayers and big welcomes!!

I roasted and steamed a ton of veggies this weekend. Plus cooked a lot of ground beef. It really helps to have it all ready to throw in a frying pan with or without eggs, or a curry or soup. Yum.

I second the recommendation for the Well Fed cookbook. It's beautiful, and I've already made several things from it: chocolate chili, mashed cauliflower, cumin roasted carrots, and a couple of the dressings/sauces.

Thanks so much whoever posted the link to the timeline. Very helpful. Looks like we should all expect the cravings to intensify.

Keep up the good work! Cheers.

I really wanted a beer and a brownie today. Oh well. I made a healthy dinner instead. The week days are a lot easier for me it seems. I didn't have an appetite the first few days and then Thurs/Fri I had strep throat so I was pretty hungry all day yesterday. Today, I mostly wanted a treat. Not a huge one just a treat. This is my second W30 and I stayed mostly on it except for a few occasions the whole next month so I'm surprised at the cravings today. I'm learning a lot this time around about the psychology of my eating that is for sure.

Thanks for the tips everyone! I actually DO have a gluten allergy, so it would be true! :) I survived eating out today!! Went to a Mexican restaurant for lunch and just got grilled chicken (no funky oils) with steamed broccoli and I covered it all in fresh pico de gallo and guacamole! SO amazing! Then a turkey burger lettuces wrapped for lunch! With guacamole again of course :) I hope you all had a successful day!

I downloaded Well Fed yesterday and decided to take the tip on pre cooking for the week. It only took me about 2 1/2 hours, but I cooked ground beef, chicken, bison, and sausage for my meaty proteins. Then a dozen and a half hard boiled eggs and a half dozen scrambled. For my veggies I did roasted brussel sprouts, zucchini, yellow squash, green beans, and spaghetti squash. Finally, about to whip up the mayo before bed. It takes a lot of cooking as I'm feeding two growing boys! I'm beat! Have a great night all and wonderful day tomorrow!

WORST CRAVINGS EVER!!!! Brownies, cupcakes, cakes just pretty much anything from Starbucks!!! AHHHHH However yesterday I was real proud of myself: kids birthday with Lasagne and cake and cupcakes and I stuck to my water and macadamia nuts... How is everyone else doing?

WORST CRAVINGS EVER!!!! Brownies, cupcakes, cakes just pretty much anything from Starbucks!!! AHHHHH However yesterday I was real proud of myself: kids birthday with Lasagne and cake and cupcakes and I stuck to my water and macadamia nuts... How is everyone else doing?

Yesterday was a tough one for me. I'm hoping the week with routine is a bit easier :)

I'm finding pre-cooking things to be essential. I made my weekly giant chicken yesterday, and today I will pull all the meat off and make stock from the bones. I have a big pan full of roasted veggies done, too, and lots of fresh raw greens from the farmer's market for salads. Today I will sauté 2 lbs. of grassfed ground beef with onions for use during the rest of the week as well.

I didn't sleep well last night because of anxiety and I feel it this morning but I'm determined to complete this whole30 no matter what.

Pea

I'm finding pre-cooking things to be essential. I made my weekly giant chicken yesterday, and today I will pull all the meat off and make stock from the bones. I have a big pan full of roasted veggies done, too, and lots of fresh raw greens from the farmer's market for salads. Today I will sauté 2 lbs. of grassfed ground beef with onions for use during the rest of the week as well.

I didn't sleep well last night because of anxiety and I feel it this morning but I'm determined to complete this whole30 no matter what.

Pea

Way to go Pea! You have been going through a lot. I have to say, I admire your strength! Congrats on sticking through the plan and lean on us if it gets too crazy. Kudos!

Good for you Pea. Your cooked chicken sounds wonderful. I had one last week and it was so helpful. I should try it again later this week. My daughter has cooked up the ground beef/sweet potato hash and I just had some with two eggs on top (cooked in coconut oil). Very yummy. I will likely take some to work as well.

Also made white fish last night with the moroccan flavorings mentioned in the book. Also delicious.

I hope you all have a good day today. We are in our second week and over the hardest part I think in terms of cravings, mood changes, etc.

Hang in there!

Ruthanne

Archived