3 giant fennel bulbs

Nadia B

Hi all,

The market near my office has awesome deal for fennel. It looks so good and tells me "take me home". I like the taste a lot but my usage of it was always limited to adding to soups or adding to salad.

Are there any fennel lovers that can share their thought on how to use up there 3 giant bulbs?

Thanks!

• Moderators

I love to stir fry fennel with onions and ground beef. Peel the onion and fennel, cut the bulbs in half, and then cut them into half-moon slices. Add onion slices to hot coconut oil in a wok and let cook until soft. Add ground beef and stir until brown. Add fennel slices and stir everything together. Cover and let cook over medium to low heat about 5-7 minutes until soft.

Note: My basic spices are salt, garlic powder, and either black pepper or chili powder of some variety.

I love fennel! I like it sautéed in whatever oil and allowed to caramelize a bit. Fennel always reminds me of pizza so I tend to go Italian with it. Would be a great side to a dish of spEGGhetti- which is eggs poached in marianara sauce.

I like it roasted until soft in the oven with onions. You can eat it whole as a side to anything, but I also like to puree it and add some mayo for a veggie dip. So good!

I often make it the way Tom described too.

Ok, it was a really bad idea to post this before my lunch. I am afraid that when I get the fennel I'll just eat it raw on the spot.

Thanks for your thought, I'll try all the suggested. Saturday cookathon is coming!

Is fennel the thing that tastes like licorice? Your recipes sound good but I can't even sniff at anything that smells like licorice. It's not an allergy, I just really don't like it. Star anise is out out out for me for that reason. But fennel is very pretty and these preparations sound lovely. Hmm... but if it tastes like licorice, well, that means more for y'all, right? ;)

I love it slowly braised with leeks and garlic, I could eat 3 bulbs in one sitting haha! Just caramelise the fennel and leeks in a bit of ghee for a bit, then add just enough stock to just cover, and simmer sloooooowwwwwllly until they are silky and delicious. Sigh.

I love fennel! I like it sautéed in whatever oil and allowed to caramelize a bit. Fennel always reminds me of pizza so I tend to go Italian with it. Would be a great side to a dish of spEGGhetti- which is eggs poached in marianara sauce.

SpEGGhetti.... Similar to an Israeli dish called shak shuka and fennel would work great in it.... Make a basic marinara sauce with the addition of Carmalized onion and fresh chilies ( I use jalapeño, scotch bonnet,Italian green) and Juliane fennel and simmer until tender. Place in a casserole dish and gently crack in 3-6-9? Whole eggs and place in a hot oven a out 15-20 min unlike eggs just cook

The eggs "oven poach" in the tomato sauce and start to bubble up....actually looks a bit like pizza if you do it right and you can add anything like sausage,bacon,veg

Yumm I think I'm going to get some fennel and try some today!

Fennel party!

I got the pretty bulbs and added to the salad for dinner (beets spinach etc). I also roasted a tray of it. Mnom.

Zoodles - your suggestion is awesome, I cook leeks like this. Will try with fennel. Shak shuka and beef stew is on the list too.

Maybe I need more fennel...

• 3 years later...
On 3/7/2013 at 9:29 AM, Tom Denham said:

I love to stir fry fennel with onions and ground beef. Peel the onion and fennel, cut the bulbs in half, and then cut them into half-moon slices. Add onion slices to hot coconut oil in a wok and let cook until soft. Add ground beef and stir until brown. Add fennel slices and stir everything together. Cover and let cook over medium to low heat about 5-7 minutes until soft.

Note: My basic spices are salt, garlic powder, and either black pepper or chili powder of some variety.

Wow! This is a fabulous recipe. I saved about an inch off of each bulb and chopped it up with an apple for salad. Thank-you!

Archived