Honey?

cadavis1976

I read that honey and maple syrup is out during the W30. For the reason that the companies sneak sugar in them. What if you know an individual that has beehives and can get me the raw honey with out anything added to it. Would that be ok? Just making sure before I start my W30 on the 15th. I appologize, if I am sounding stupid for asking this.

The reason honey is out is not because companies sneak sugar in it. It is out because it is a form of sugar and sugar is out for a Whole30. In order for your body (and mind) to detox from sugar, you have to totally eliminate all forms of it.

Just to clarify, there's sugar in fruit too and that's fine on a Whole30. Honey, syrup, and other natural sweeteners are out because they are used simply for sweetening things, whereas fruit is used as an actual (whole) food. If a whole food you're eating happens to have sugar in it (which many foods do, including veggies), then that's perfectly fine. Just no added sugar. :)

Flax has a lot of omega 6 if I remember right but so do nuts. I think using them occasionally to add a crusty exterior is fine.

Thanks slw600 I was hoping someone would say it is ok. I love my salmon patties and i use flaxseed to hold them together while cooking. it works great.

• 3 years later...
  • Administrators

You can also mash sweet potato (or canned pumpkin - not pie filling) into the raw meat and then form the patties/loaves as well. Extends the meat if on a budget and, to me anyway, creates a lighter, less dense end result. And you get extra veggies, so score!

Archived