Pickle ingredients

Gum arabic is not on the condemned list. It is a stabilizer. Like guar gum, it is used in both food and industrial settings which sort of makes me want to stay away from it. If you already own the pickles, I say go ahead, but maybe you can find cleaner pickles at your store. Bubbies makes a very good and very clean pickle.

Gum arabic is not on the condemned list. It is a stabilizer. Like guar gum, it is used in both food and industrial settings which sort of makes me want to stay away from it. If you already own the pickles, I say go ahead, but maybe you can find cleaner pickles at your store. Bubbies makes a very good and very clean pickle.

I <3 Bubbies Dill pickles!

I actually made some "pickles" the other day (in quotes as they're not at all authentically picklish): put garlic, black pepper, whatever you want in the bottom of a jar, slice cucumbers and jam into the jar as much as you can without squishing. Boil equal parts water and apple cider vinegar, then completely fill the jar so there's a bit of vinegar above the cucumbers. Then stick in the fridge for a day, then eat. Apparently they'll last a month in the fridge, which is pretty good for minimal effort.

That reminds me. One of the food network guys said you can refill an empty pickle jar and make more pickles with the brine. He made it sound like you just put the cukes in the jar..no heating or anything. That sounds too easy.

That reminds me. One of the food network guys said you can refill an empty pickle jar and make more pickles with the brine. He made it sound like you just put the cukes in the jar..no heating or anything. That sounds too easy.

I've nearly finished the jar I made last weekend, so will give that a go on Saturday.

You can! But try putting carrot sticks in instead. It might change you life. :-)

I bought some approved pickles yesterday (they are so strong my whole lunch bag smells like them). If I like them enough I'm totally going to reuse the brine to make more. Question...do you have to completely refill/pack the jar for it to work or can I just slice up the cucumbers I have into the jar and stick it in the fridge? How long do you have to wait to have pickles again? I tried to grow cukes last year to make pickles but all my plants died. Going to try again this year for sure.

A minimum of 24 hours will be enough for a fridge pickle (as in not processed) to be flavored like a pickle. The longer they're in it, the soggier they will get, but they keep for at least a month in the fridge without going bad. I wouldn't pack the jar - that means it will be harder for each individual slice to soak in the brine.

A minimum of 24 hours will be enough for a fridge pickle (as in not processed) to be flavored like a pickle. The longer they're in it, the soggier they will get, but they keep for at least a month in the fridge without going bad. I wouldn't pack the jar - that means it will be harder for each individual slice to soak in the brine.

And do I have to use a specific pickling cucumber or will any ole cucumber work? The pickles I got also had slices of onions in the jar. Can I just leave those in there? How many times can you reuse the same brine?

When I do pickles, I don't usually reuse my brine. It's pretty simple to put together. Texture-wise, small cucumbers (mine are sold as pickling cukes) will keep the best texture the longest. The onions and other stuff can be eaten or left in. At this point, the flavor they imparted to the brine is already in it, so not necessary at this point.

You can! But try putting carrot sticks in instead. It might change you life. :-)

We did! A jar filled with little cut carrots is brining in the fridge as we speak. My husband is more curious than me because he can't eat raw carrots, but can eat pickled. I hope it works!

Archived