LadyM's seduction continues (sur son propre velo)

LadyM

• Moderators

Day 20 

Wow. Twenty days has flown by. My sleep is in a really good place. I'm happy to be in bed by 8 most nights and then up before 5 most mornings. Sometimes up once or twice in the night but sometimes not. My skin seems to be in pretty good shape and I'm maintaining a good level of activity. Barre class most days, bootcamp 2-3 times a week, yoga a couple times a week, and walking and sprints when possible. I feel like I'm continuing to slowly shed fat. My appetite feels quite normal, meaning I feel no need to overeat. I can't ever remember having occasion to say such a thing in my life. So, I'm glad about that.

In other words, things are humming right along. I got almost all of my work done yesterday (omg if this whole30 cures my procrastination, that will be a new reason to shout from the rooftops) but didn't take time for big batch cooking. I have some stuff on hand, but I'll need to do more tomorrow. Anyway, not sure what I'll eat today and might end up skipping dinner depending on how late a meeting goes before barre and then yoga. Better figure something out. Hopefully i can eat a can of sardines or something before barre and call it good. Not every day is perfect, right? 

M1 salsa chicken, romaine, kraut

M2 chicken meatballs, sweet potato, cabbage subji, blackberries

M3 sardines, salad with romaine, beets, fennel, apple

ETA: felt wiped out in so many ways after work as well as sore, so I skipped barre, had a relaxed dinner, and then walked to yoga. Good call, M. The backside of my left leg is crazy sore. Kinda weird. But maybe not. I've been working hard. But why just the one leg?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Day 21

My workout this morning was meh. Hamstring is still bothering me, and so are my glutes. I've just decided to see it as part of the process. I am deliberately working these muscles and they are responding. This, too, shall pass. Glad I took a break from barre last night and stuck to yoga and walking. I feel like I'm ready to return today, so barre is on tap this morning. Facial later today will be a huge treat.

Managed to use my energy this morning to do a little batch cooking. Made turkey green curry meatballs and roasted some spaghetti squash. Will pick up greens (romaine, kale, cabbage) later today because I'm out! I sure do go through them quickly. So far this week 9 romaine hearts, a head of green cabbage and three bunches of tuscan kale. But is there anything more self-satisfying than eating mounds of greens with every meal?

M1 romaine, kraut, beets, salsa chicken

M2 spaghetti squash with bolognese, banana, blackberries

M3 turkey meatballs, sweet potato, cabbage subji, apple

• Moderators

Yay for us and eating our greens! An ayurved once told me that there are no universal superfoods because everything works differently in different bodies. The one exception? GREENS! Eat MOUNDS of them, she said!

Derek, I really need to check out Costco. . . . 

Sara, I used the recipe from WF2 (can't find a link, sorry) subbed turkey for beef, halved the curry paste, garlic, and fish sauce, and only put in a dash of salt rather than the teaspoon she calls for. The last time I made them they were super overpowering. I've learned to cut back certain seasonings in some of her recipes. Others are spot on for my palate. Who knows why.

• Moderators

I have WF2, so I will definitely have to try these out.  My meatballs tend to turn out dry...

Yep, that's another thing . . . I think she recommends 20-25 minutes at 400. I do mine for no more than 20 at 350 and they turn out so much better! I also skip the baking soda/cream of tartar step. I used to always do it, but I don't think it's worth it.

M - definitely check out Costco.  Some people would think it wouldn't be worth it if you live alone, but you are a W9er so you can eat a ton of produce before it goes bad!  Some of their stuff is organic and some isn't.  I can easily go through a 3# bag of broccoli or a 2.5# bag of spinach or 3 dozen eggs before they spoil :P  And they have cute little guacamole cups that I freeze and thaw.  We buy and freeze meat from there (big packs but we separate them).  I'm not financially at a point where I can buy pastured/grass-fed.  And, of course stuff with a long shelf life, like nuts, olives, Olive oil, coconut oil, and vinegar are cheaper in the long run in bulk.

• Moderators

Day 22

Busy, busy workday, so I'm posting and running! Barre class this evening after work. Hamstring is starting to feel better. Arnica oil, biofreeze, chiro manipulation are all working their magic.

M1 grapefruit, kale, eggs

M2 turkey meatballs, sweet potato, green beans, banana, blackberries

prewo slice egg and veg bake

postwo chicken breast

M3 spaghetti squash with bolognese, fennel/apple/beet salad

• Moderators

Ugh. Lousy workout again today. Felt fatigued during barre warmup! AF is about a week out, so I'm documenting this for future reference and carrying on. Bootcamp and barre tomorrow morning, rest Saturday, and salsa Sunday. Hope to be good as new by Monday after a rejuvenating weekend in the woods.

Bonus: the barre ladies are complimenting me on my physique. They say they've noticed my middle is getting tighter and my butt lifted. I can't think of a nicer thing to hear right now.

Also, I just registered for a restorative yoga workshop on the evening of Friday, Jan. 30 to celebrate another completed Whole30. Seems utterly appropriate.

• Moderators

Day 23

Opted to skip bootcamp in favor of rest and will be heading to barre in a few. Then packing for the weekend, including all my food, and heading out. So looking forward to a weekend of nature, self care, contemplation, meditation, silence, and writing.

M1 grapefruit, kale, eggs, cultured carrots

M2 apple/fennel/beet salad, l/o spaghetti squash bolognese

M3 turkey meatballs, sweet potato, green beans and carrots, blackberries

• Moderators

Day 25

I'm back. Holy smokes did that go quickly. But it was wonderful, perfect, rejuvenating and renewing, just as I'd hoped. I shall do my best to bring all of that back into my day to day life.

AF arrived about four days earlier than expected, but it made all sorts of things make sense. The cruddy workouts, the tiredness, one unfortunate crying jag :rolleyes:.

Up next: salsa class!

M1 egg veg bake, grapefruit

M2 chicken breast, romaine, kraut, banana

M3 fennel/apple/beet salad, chicken, acorn squash, brussels sprouts chips

Day 24 recap

M1 egg veg bake, grapefruit

M2 chicken breast, romaine, kraut, blackberries

M3 turkey meatballs, kale and kraut, sweet potato

• Moderators

Day 26

Gave myself the gift of sleeping in this morning. Starting to rethink the double workout days with bootcamp followed by barre. Schedule might need tweaking. Think I'll try alternating days this week and see how it goes. But really, my body just needed rest today, as it always does when AF is here. I had a yoga teacher who said ideally we should all do nothing but relax whenever we have our period, and that some cultures in the world create space for that. Women aren't allowed to lift a finger in Bali, for example, when they're menstruating. If only I could pick and choose my most favorite practices from all the cultures of the world to create a new one where I could live! Anyway, I do what I can with the knowledge I have, and I seem to manage to be kinder to myself with time. A very good thing, indeed.

As is this W30. I'm at the point where I'm wanting to do this forever. Feeling so very good and wondering what positive effects would happen with more time. That's not to say I will extend it to 100 days, which is seriously what I'm thinking, but today I feel as if I could. I do have some social occasions coming up for which I'd intended to off road somewhat, but nothing drastic. I'm back to wondering why I ever drink and rethinking some relationships that require it. A guy I'm dating for example, might just get the boot. He's a good guy, and I enjoy his company, but life revolves around drink for him, and I decidedly do not want to share in that kind of life. So, this W30 has been very instructive in that regard.

I'm also considering doing a series of cleanses that I generally do a couple times a year in February, but two of them require drinking apple juice between meals and another one eliminates protein for five days. Other than that, though I'd admit that's significant, nothing that isn't compliant. Well, she recommends yogurt for probiotics with one of them, but I would use fermented veggies and my probiotic supplement instead. Not sure yet about doing them because I'm feeling good and balanced right now, but they have had excellent effect in the past with them. Anyway, I'm thinking about it.

Side note: Latin dancing was so fun yesterday! And I don't mind looking at myself in the mirror. My body is definitely changing shape. It's been a long time coming, and I'm so grateful to have gotten to this place that is working for me.

All right. Back to the grind. First barre, then my rescheduled facial (I haven't even mentioned my skin, which ,especially considering AF, is looking quite good!), THEN back to work, with a quick hop on the treadmill before home again this evening. That's the plan.

M1 grapefruit, egg bake

M2 salsa chicken, romaine, fennel, apple, beet salad

M3 bahn mi turkey balls, brussels sprouts, sweet potato

Glad you are feeling so good. Scrutinizing relationships that don't really support your best expression is a terrific byproduct of the Whole30. I dated a guy last year who was a "sort-of vegetarian." On a day to day basis, this meant that his life was dominated by tofu, pasta, noodles, pastries and coffee. Our meal times became really tough. It didn't work out for other reasons. But the relief I felt when no longer being pulled in two opposite dietary directions was tremendous!

I feel like I could conceivably date a vegetarian who put as much energy into planning meals as I do into into mine. The Standard American Diet makes it so easy to be what I call a "potato chip vegetarian," where you just subsist on low-quality convenience foods that happen to not involve meat....

• Moderators

Day 27

Changed up my routine today and so far I'm liking it. I have much more energy for my busiest teaching days when I work out first thing. It just requires planning ahead and getting class prep done by the night before. We'll see how pooped I am for barre and yoga tonight, but so far so good. And this schedule will free up my other, calmer mornings for writing. Plus, the bootcamp trainer T/Th gives much more kickass workouts. I feel really fatigued after half an hour, which is absolutely what I want.

Also pleased to report that I followed through and walked some "hills" on the treadmill last night and then this morning hopped on the recumbent bike for about 40 minutes after class and before lunch. I listened to classical music and read what I'll be teaching this afternoon. Worked up a little sweat and am now enjoying a little lunch.

I've also been pondering February and feel inspired to focus on gratitude and my finances, which are seriously stressing me out right now. I know I can create a budget and stick to it. I know it will require changing habits and practices, and I know I can radically make those kinds of changes from what I've accomplished with W30. My body was my biggest concern for so long and it's so clearly on the right path now that I can move to the next big thing that requires attention. And I know gratitude for what I have and focusing on my abundance rather than what I can't or don't have yet but desire will be the best way forward. So, I'm going to give it a shot for the month of February. And I'm actually pretty excited about it!

Post WO chicken breast, sweet potato

M1 grapefruit, veg egg bake

M2 bahn mi turkey balls, sweet potato, brussels sprouts, blackberries

preWO sardines packed in evoo

M3 chicken, romaine, beets, fennel, kraut

• Moderators

Day 28

Yesterday went really well. I basically did four workouts and felt good, well nourished, and strong. Bootcamp to start my busiest days T/Th gets a green light. It seems two of these tough workouts a week is enough, though I could add a Saturday class if I desired. We'll see. Then I hopped on the recumbent bike, which was surprisingly challenging with enough resistance!--between classes and before lunch. I always feel like a little exercise before a meal is a good thing. Barre after work, followed by yoga. Snuck in some sardines before barre and then had dinner rather late for me, at 8, after yoga. But it worked! And that was my last Tuesday night yoga class for a while. My schedule will change slightly in February. But staggering boot camp and barre is the way to go, I think, rather than doing one of each of a morning. Tough. 

So, moving forward, I think my workout schedule will look like this:

MWF barre at 9:30 am

T/Th bootcamp at 6 am (optional Saturday addition)

bursts of cardio and walking as often as possible

I'll also need to figure out yoga and how much of it I can afford. I am planning to do a free trial of yoga-glo and see how I like it. One of my favorite teachers posts classes there, so maybe it will be good. I know there was a lot of contention about the company and their insistence that no one else could post yoga classes online for a while, but I think those disputes have been settled.

Barre is doing for me physically for what I once relied on yoga, and I've revved up my own meditation practice, so maybe I won't need the classes as much. I'll just have to see. I'll certainly miss the community aspect of it, though, if nothing else. Hmmm.

Blissful day to myself with a laundry list a mile long. I don't mind, though. When my time is my own I'm happy to have it filled with satisfying tasks to check off. Big batch cooking is on the agenda and I have a taste for Indian this week. Spice things up a bit for the final countdown.

Speaking of which, my W30 officially ends Friday, and I'm just not going to overthink anything past that, I've decided. I've been at this for so long it is a way of life, really. I cannot expect myself to do W365s, as they say, and I am eager to live my life and make this work long term. I mean, I've been working at that for nearly two years now, but I only now feel as if I've gotten to a stable place physically where my body is ready and able to release fat. I don't want to mess that up. I also don't want to live in fear or make choices from a place of fear. So, I guess I'll just keep going until I have good enough reason not to, and pay careful attention to how my body feels.

M1 grapefruit, kale, eggs

M2 taj mahal chicken, cabbage subji, banana

M3 chicken, romaine, beets, fennel, apple, butternut squash

Lots of great stuff going on with you, LadyM!  So glad to read it.  It sounds to me like you are listening to your body and your body is rewarding you for it.  Good for you.  I'm hoping to follow you into this positive mindset...

Archived