LadyM's seduction continues (sur son propre velo)

LadyM

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Day 29

Started to feel like I was coming down with something last night so I did everything I could think of to head it off, including extra supplements, extra water, neti pot, and early to bed. Woke up feeling OK but with some muscle soreness. Convinced myself to go to bootcamp anyway. Glad I did! So far so good. Fingers crossed I'm staving off the crud and staying strong.

Other than that, just keeping on and feeling pretty good about it. Barre after work and then I can catch my breath. Busy day!

post wo tuna, sweet potato

M1 grapefruit, egg veg bake

M2 green curry meatballs, cabbage subji, sweet potato, blackberries

pre wo sardines

M3 chicken nan king, banana

• Moderators

Day 30

Been spending the morning contemplating my take aways from this Whole 30, but I think I'll spend a bit more time organizing my thoughts. I'll post those along with my measurable results tomorrow. But I'm so very grateful that I committed to doing this again for a full month. Each W30 is so different and I learn so much about myself from each sometimes I wonder if that isn't the real glory of the program. Yes, of course there's magic in eating real food and cutting out the garbage; but maybe there's even more magic in the powerful intention and practice of deliberately and exquisitely caring for yourself for an extended period of time. It's a package deal, of course, but I've been thinking about how to deepen the ways in which I care for myself on a forever-term basis.

Barre this morning and restorative yoga tonight, yippee!

M1 grapefruit, kale, eggs

M2 taj mahal chicken, cabbage subji

M3 curry meatballs, bnut squash, brussels sprouts chips, apple

• Moderators

Day 31: January 2015 Whole 30 wrap up

Well, folks, here are the stats:

I lost 3 inches in my waist and dropped 8.5 pounds this Whole 30.

I've never had measurable results like this before. I am infinitely grateful that the tide seems to have turned in this way.

So, what changed? I think my body changed. I think it took nearly two years of Whole 30s to get my body where it needed to be to drop significant weight. I can remember after my first W30 in April of 2013 when I was disappointed in what seemed like a lack of results, Beets, who had experienced dramatic weight loss results but then struggled with riding her own bike post-W30, posted something to me like, "You're lucky you have to work so hard for this because you will learn to make it habit and therefore stick for the long-term." She was right. I am infinitely grateful to this program and my journey with it, frustrated and tearful though I've been many many times.

Applying what I've learned throughout this years-long process has also had an impact. I'm not starved for nutrients like I once was and so I eat much more reasonable portions. I conquered my sugar dragon little by little, so I no longer use anything sweet and/or snacky like dried fruit, nuts, fresh fruit, and even tea and kombucha. My remaining fat tooth, also, is reined in. I am satisfied by my meals for 4-6 hours without eating whole avocados, massive globs of mayo, fistfuls of nuts, spoonsful of almond and coconut butter. All those things were food without brakes for me, though it took me a while to figure that out. I did this past W30 without them and instead relied on ghee, coconut oil, olive oil, and the naturally occurring fats in my protein sources. I also ate more lean protein sources such as fish and chicken and turkey breast rather than the fattier cuts that I love and relied on in the past. No kalua pork, no short ribs, no crispy chicken thighs, no mounds of chicken wings, no lamb shoulder this time around. They will be occasional treats for me. And I did dramatically increase my leafy greens, eating the equivalent of 4-6 cups (raw) with nearly every meal. I also deliberately and methodically increased starchy veggies and allowed myself a little fruit with meals when I desired. I stopped fearing carbs.

I also have slowly made my way back from a terrible lower back injury and am so grateful to have found my groove with movement and exercise. I am noticeably stronger, especially in my core. And I crave functional movement and being outside, so I'm doing a lot more daily walking as part of my routine. Thinking of daily movement as not just limited to workouts. This has been a very good thing.

I've also continued to have the support of my functional medicine doc, and she has made all the difference. She confirms that my body is changing in all sorts of ways she can see but I cannot. We're literally rebuilding my thyroid. It all takes time, and I'm not a particularly patient woman, but I'm learning. It's all worth it. And the body does respond. In its own time. I've learned to trust that, trust myself, and trust my body. These are seismic shifts.

So, moving forward, I'm just going to stick with it. Keep up the workouts, keep up with template eating three times a day. I want to keep going and see how my body will respond with more time. And if this is optimal nutrition that gives my body what it needs, why would I do anything else? Yes, of course, because life happens. Social occasions arise. And that's when I'll off road. I feel about noncompliant food the way I feel about alcohol: I never indulge alone. I understand that cravings for noncompliant things do not constitute an emergency and they absolutely do not need to be indulged. But enjoying time with people I love and sharing food and drink with them without making it a problem for them or for me is something I'd like to make a part of my life again. All I can do is take it as it comes and do my best not to stress about it.

I probably won't post my meals here anymore, but I'll check in regularly. It's such a part of my routine now!

• Moderators

No off roading yet for me, so I guess this is day 33. And it's a SNOW DAY! We really got pummeled yesterday. Everything is closed, it seems, including the barre studio and my gym :mellow:. I signed up for another month of unlimited barre classes, so I hope I can get back to them asap. Still loving it.

Thinking I'll do a cross fit-style workout at home (sans weights), maybe some yoga, too. I think a second day of being housebound without burning off some energy could turn ugly in a hurry!

My fridge is absolutely packed to the gills with good food: green curry meatballs, bahn mi turkey balls, chicken nan king, taj mahal chicken, roast chicken and nom nom gravy, a giant egg bake, cabbage subji, potato and cauliflower subji, cauli rice, loads of kale and romaine, roast winter veg. . . .

What the hell, LET IT SNOW! Food, home workouts, hot tea, books, netflix . . . life is good. :D

• Moderators

Thank you, dear Nadia! Being able to share and troubleshoot so many of our trials and tribulations together has helped me in so many ways. I'm grateful for the good company!  :wub:

I am so glad to see everything coming together for you.  The tangible results have to be so satisfying, even though you've had the mental/emotional results for awhile.  Perseverance when the road ahead isn't clear has finally been rewarded.  Kudos to you!

And I"m with the other ladies, envying your stocked fridge.  I thought I was doing well having roasted brussel sprouts and cauliflower over the weekend.  (And yes, the brussel sprouts will be relegated to a treat as they left me very gassy!)  My husband scarfed down 3/4 of a head of cauliflower in one meal, so much for prepping ahead...  ;)

Lady M! Look at you, moderator.  ;)

That makes complete and total sense, given your wise posts and helpful comments. So glad to see things are going well, by a quick perusal of your thread. I am getting back into barre as well. I wish I had a class nearby but DVDs and online vids will do it for now. 

Your stocked fridge description is blowing my mind. 

Congrats about feeling those changes in your body! Super news. And you got there with patience and wisdom. 

And so true about my riding bike issues. I've been up and down like a yo yo, here I am for the third time starting not from mild off-roading but wild careening off the abyss. And feeling horrible for it. Also none of my pants fit. I see all of you guys here, still moving along, and it makes me feel a little bit like my dream self, who shows up for class on the last day without doing any homework. But that is part of my own thing, learning I have to figure this out for myself. I will get there someday, Lady M. 

Last, can you please tell me about the cabbage subji? I googled and saw a recipe that looked good but maybe you can tell me your method? Sounds delish and you know how I love my cabbage. 

• Moderators

BEEEEEEEETS!!

I was so hoping that my referencing an old comment you made might summon you back to the forum and here you are! I'm SO glad you've returned!

The good news is Whole30 works like magic for you, so I predict you'll be feeling good again very, very soon.

Barre is my new favorite addiction. When I first started I thought I'd need to get a second job to continue classes, but then the lovely owner decided to continue the unlimited monthly package she started in January. Which means for as often as I go, classes work out to $5 a pop. So very worth it to me. I think of it as physical therapy and investment in healthy longevity for my hips and lower back. Plus, I just love the community and atmosphere of the studio.

Now for the cabbage subji. I learned it from a yoga teacher and never wrote anything down, but it's basically this:

Melt however much fat you like, either coconut oil or ghee.

Drop in a t of mustard seeds and a half t cumin seeds until they begin to pop. Add 1/2 t turmeric and 1 t of salt, then toss in a chopped green cabbage or napa cabbage or some combination of the two. Stir. Add some water, like maybe 1/2 cup. Bring to boil. Cover, turn down heat, and cook until soft, stirring occasionally. Serve with a dollop of ghee, a squirt of lime and a sprinkling of shredded coconut. It's supposed to be especially medicinal for female sex organ problems, cysts, fibroids, etc. I don't have any of those that I know of; I just love this super easy and delicious dish. You could certainly add some of your beloved fresh ginger to the mix if you wanted, too, Beets.

I'm with you: the more cabbage the more ways the better. It is so cheap, versatile, and crazy good for you. Tasty, too.

• Moderators

Still at it over here. Not stopping until I have a good reason to. I've been avoiding invitations for drinks lately, and I think I need to come up with a new tactic. Go out but don't drink, for example. I have a friend who doesn't drink and I've been spending more time with him for that reason. But this is something I really need to figure out long term. This is one of the hardest things for me post Whole 30. It would be one thing if I really wanted to drink, but I don't want to drink but feel pressure to anyway. No bueno.

But I definitely feel like I'm still getting healthier and stronger and that makes me very happy. All my clothes fit again and that makes me happier than I want to admit. It's not just about weight, though it's helped. It dawned on me yesterday that I'm approaching a place I've dreamed of: unshakable love and respect for myself.

Sustained self care is magic.

Go you!

As for going out, can you arm yourself with a seltzer with lime?  It at least avoids people wanting to buy you a drink, as you have a drink.  I've done that a few times, either for the whole night or as a good break between drinks (real cocktail at cocktail hour, seltzer/lime, wine with dinner).  It gives me the that emotional social cue - drinking with friends, letting loose a little - without the alcohol.

• Moderators

Thanks, Sara. Yes, I absolutely could do that, and I probably will; though it raises not only eyebrows but elicits serious ribbing from much of my crowd. They're just not used to this former party girl's reformation. So, it might be a bit more revolutionary than that. You know, some of these friendships may need to end. I'll just have to see how it goes.

• Moderators

Skipped bootcamp this morning, promising myself I'll make it up tomorrow, and opted for yoga at home instead. It was exactly what I needed. It's amazing how a good asana practice can really build fire from within and yet lead to such calm. I'm glad I reminded myself that I can do yoga anytime I want and get the effects I need.

Barre at 5 will be the cherry atop this very long work day. It's become a kind of anchor for me. Leave everything at the door and just do what I'm told, focusing exquisitely on form and how it feels.

Hoping to redirect my social plans for tomorrow night to my house so I can cook dinner rather than going out. I'm back in that place where I just prefer to eat my own food--out of pleasure rather than fear. How great is that?

• Moderators

Barre was wonderful last night and is coming up again shortly. The teacher commenting on how my physique is changing. Very motivating! For the first time in my life I may achieve a sculpted booty! (I come from a long line of pancake asses, so this is a BIG DEAL.)

My friend has agreed to come to me tonight, and our usual routine is to have Indian, so I'll surprise her with some homemade stuff. 

Going to try to get in some cardio today because my routine is sorely lacking in this regard. Errands, cleaning, grading on tap. So happy it's the weekend. Must think of what to cook for next week. I'd like to try something new and shake things up a bit. I haven't experienced any food boredom in a LOOOOOOONG time. I'm about due, and I want to head that off. It might be time for some fish. Salmon cakes. I have ground lamb and lamb liver in the freezer. Maybe some lamb meatballs. Also, I haven't made soup in a while. Craving Bittman's gingery chicken stew.

I received an invitation for a Chinese New Year's celebration with some beloved friends in a couple weeks and I think that will be my first planned off road. And it will be epic off road. It's a wonton soup party. There's no negotiating soy and gluten with the Chinese.

Happy weekend, everyone!

Archived