LadyM's seduction continues (sur son propre velo)

LadyM

• Moderators

Day 2 reset went swimmingly, though I did have two pieces of fruit. :rolleyes: There are worse things, certainly, but today I'm committing to zero fruit.

Today the plan is to roast a chicken--my signature lemon-fennel recipe--with the rest of my purple fingerlings. I will enjoy every bite of that crispy skin, too. And then I will have chicken for days. Hooray for that. Anyway, chicken, fennel, potatoes for M2; lamb goddess salad for M3; already had my usual veg/egg bake for M1.

Last evening after barre class I walked to the co-op for a kombucha. Until my batch comes of age, making myself walk to the co-op to fill a bottle is the way I'm reining in my craving. But anyway, it was lovely to just go for a walk. I want to remind myself how much I love walking and to do more of it on a daily basis, for pleasure as much as for good health.

Wednesday truly feels like hump day to me. My weeks are seriously front loaded with work, so once I'm through with class tonight, it will be smooth sailing to the weekend. I have a lot of work to get done this weekend, though, but that's OK. The vista of a weekend makes everything feel lighter and more free.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Day three in the bag. I ended up with only two meals, though. I get so excited with a roast chicken I tend to overdo it. Had the wings and crispy skin with an entire pan of roast carrots for lunch that turned out to be later than I intended, so I wasn't hungry before I had to teach. Wasn't interested in eating late before bed after class, so there you have it.

I am very happy to have committed to this reset, though. It helped get me back into a good consistent place. Yesterday I wanted something sweet after lunch and went for a spoonful of coconut butter, but remembered that it's a honey pecan flavored one and not compliant. So I skipped it. And am all the better for it!

Note to self: need more days of breaking the sweet at the end of a meal habit. 

I'm going to keep it up. Template meals and minimizing sweets, even fruit, especially at the end of meals. Only good things can come of this!

Glad your three days worked out well. It's amazing how quickly those old bad habits creep back in. They are always lurking, ready to pounce. I fell right back into my mid-afternoon sugar rush habit. Today I had a spoon a coconut butter while I prepared a meal and it's just not that yummy to me. But even the sugary stuff I was eating didn't taste that good. I felt like a junkie looking for that un-repeatable high. Words are failing me because I'm up way to late.

Good things.

• Moderators

My dad sent me a photo of my stepmom at a cupcake atm in Dallas that's all the rage. Lines out the door at the bakery during business hours and then folks lined up all hours of the night for the atm. My response? Sugar. It's a drug.

And in all seriousness, it's as dangerous as any other drug, but it's so widely accepted and takes so long to have its dramatically horrifying effects, we don't see it that way. All I have to do is summon images of my mother's suffering from kidney failure, her incessant vomiting, her collapsing from uncontrollable blood sugar and blood pressure, her inability to walk for the pain from neuropathy, her going blind. All from diabetes.

That's a fate I'll do everything I can to avoid.

OK, enough of the sobering coffee tawk.

Had a really fun date last night and off roaded deliberately and safely. We ended up at an asian-fusion place known for clean ingredients and adapting the menu. I had a dry grilled steak with pineapple glaze on the side, steamed veggies, and kimchee fried rice. I'm sure the rice was fried in not so great oil, but it was tasty. I skipped the obvious glutenous appetizers and sides. I kind of wish I skipped the fried rice, but oh well. I ate less than half of everything but the steamed veggies and left pleasantly full. I wanted frozen yogurt afterwards, mostly because the last few times I went to that restaurant with friends that's what we did. Amazing how the mind works.

Big day today with barre, loads of high-visibility meetings, followed by some pampering in the afternoon with a massage and eyebrow wax. Busy weekend ahead with both work and play. Looking forward to it. And, as ever, seeking the balance.

• Moderators

Didn't get any work done over the weekend, but maybe that's the way it should be. Instead, I played in the sunshine, went out for dinner and a play, and got domestic. Oh, and I got a cold, too. But the good news is I think my immune system is so much stronger than it once was that a) illness doesn't last long--it's nearly gone, and the first signs of it started Saturday night and 2) I therefore don't fear illness quite as much as I once did. Very pleased about this.

Made a Costco run yesterday and am fully stocked in every possible way in the kitchen for the foreseeable future. For example, I currently have on hand:

*an Italian egg bake for breakfasts

*leftover lamb, chicken sausage; gingery sautéed cabbage, brussels sprouts tossed in vinaigrette, roasted fennel w lemon, purple fingerling potatoes--still from last week

*two kinds of baked cod

*loads of shrimp and duck eggs

*tons of lovely fresh greens and other veg

*enough frozen veg for a couple weeks

*sweet potatoes of every variety

*delicious sauces including a vibrant vinaigrette (this on steamed veggies is my latest go-to) and guac

*bone broth

*a giant jar of freshly-made ghee

*blueberry thyme beef liver pate, recipe courtesy of the lovely Nadia B

*pitta-reducing mung dal (obvs not W30 compliant, but my weekly legume dish is working out nicely for me)

And I woke up hours before my alarm thinking about more things I want to prepare. Must slow down or I'll have food going bad!

Needless to say, must get serious about work today. So many big deadlines this week. I'll meet them. I always do. I have a good feeling about this week.

Every time I read your log I get so ashamed that I can't get my butt into the kitchen :D I also drool a lot. You got me to believe that bike is a great idea and I should get one, you got me meditating...maybe you will get me to step up my cooking game. I literally can't remember the last time I did food prep other than random dinner sides made at my bf's.

Sorry about the cold, I bet that bone broth will help you recover in no time.

This is the way you should be - play first. You have to charge the batteries first to get the motor going, right? Have a great productive week.  

• Moderators

Every time I read your log I get so ashamed that I can't get my butt into the kitchen :D I also drool a lot. You got me to believe that bike is a great idea and I should get one, you got me meditating...maybe you will get me to step up my cooking game. I literally can't remember the last time I did food prep other than random dinner sides made at my bf's.

Sorry about the cold, I bet that bone broth will help you recover in no time.

This is the way you should be - play first. You have to charge the batteries first to get the motor going, right? Have a great productive week.  

Thank you, dear Nadia. Same to you!

I hope you do get inspired to get back in the kitchen--no shame necessary!--it does seem to be a place where you thrive. Your creativity with food over the years has inspired me, so selfishly I want to witness you making magic with food again! I know you're busy enjoying life, and that should always take priority, but food preparedness does seem to be everyone's weakness when that happens. . . . eager to see how you do this W30. By now you're a pro!

• Moderators

W5 Day 1 recap

M1 egg bake, spoonful liver pate

M2 ginger cabbage, stir fry veg, leftover chicken sausage, banana

M3 lamb salad w green goddess, sweet potato, blackberries 

W5 Day 2 plan

M1 egg bake, spoonful pate

M2 venison meatballs, sweet potato, brussels sprouts, banana

M3 chicken nan king

I was like a starved animal last night. Couldn't seem to get enough food. Strange because I had almost no appetite at lunch. I ate because I had a window and knew I needed to get it in. Oh well. AF should be here any day now. I chalk it up to that. Moving on.

Booked another trip out East, this time to Philly for a friend's grand gala opening of a new venture. I'm so thrilled for him and can't wait to see what he's created. I'm also excited to have an event for which I'll get to dress to the nines. I live in a time and place that doesn't make sense to my true heart's fashion desires. I think this is one of the reasons why I'm a stage actress at times. Being overly casual for too long weighs me down. Anyway, must decide on a dress!

And of course the prospect of putting myself on display among others on display ramps up my impulse to stay on the straight and narrow with eating and exercise. That can only be a good thing. So, Jen, the timing is good for another mini Whole. Though I must figure out what to do with the dal I made. I don't think it freezes well. Maybe it will keep until the weekend and I can feed it to my friend coming in from Pittsburgh for our 5K Saturday. 

Oh yeah, the 5K. I've stopped training for it because my body responds badly to running. I know I'm fit enough to do it, so I'll do it; but I accept that running is simply not the best form of exercise for my body. So, onward.

Busy day ahead with prep, teaching, meetings, barre. In fact, it's a good day ahead!

I need to make some time for food prep.  It feels so great when it is done, but I'm lazy about actually doing it.

Your trip out to Philly sounds fab!  When are you making the trip?

Smart thinking on running.  You know what is working (and not) for you, so go with that.  The 5k with a friend will be fun, but barre seems SO much better for you.  Have a wonderful day!  Productivity!

• Moderators

Your trip out to Philly sounds fab!  When are you making the trip?

Smart thinking on running.  You know what is working (and not) for you, so go with that.  The 5k with a friend will be fun, but barre seems SO much better for you. 

Thanks, Sara! The trip is May 15-18, and for most of the time I'll be nearer to Lancaster. That's your neck of the woods, isn't it?

Barre is definitely the way for me right now, that's for sure. But I also need some cardio. Biking, walking, swimming are the best options, methinks. So glad the weather is conducive these days!

• Moderators

Thanks for the support in a mini reset!  It's good to have friends.  Your trip sounds super fun.  It is nice to dress up now and then, though I really hate heels. :)

I love heels less and less myself, Jen. It's impossible to be charming when your feet hurt!

• Moderators

My first batch of kombucha is kick ass! This batch was half black half green tea and I did second ferment in growlers rather than individual bottles: elderberry cherry ginger (used bottled juice) and hibiscus cherry. Fizzy and delicious. I'm over the moon. And OMG this will save me so much $$. I was getting a little too dependent on the co-op's stuff on tap. . . . but mine is better!!

• Moderators

I have no real idea of proportions, Jen. Sorry! I think my growlers are about a quart and a half and I put a small handful of elderflower berries and hibiscus in each. Maybe a couple ounces of cherry juice concentrate--I split the last of a bottle that was in my fridge. I found this ginger juice at my health food store in the Asian section for much cheaper than what they sell on amazon and put half the 5 oz bottle in. Very gingery! Easily rivals the gingerberry flavor. This is the happiest I've been with my home-brew. Hope it's not a fluke!

• Moderators

Keep me posted about your booch, Jen. It seems the dried flowers are the key to fizz. I used to brew hibiscus tea to add to second ferments, but this time I just tossed in the dried flowers. Same with Elderberries.

Day 2 went according to plan. Man but I love that Chicken Nan King. Made kickass ketchup with a kick of chipotle powder for the sauce and it worked especially well. Not as good for regular ketchup uses, but it'll do.

Barre this morning was especially good, and if I get my work done this morning I may go for a glorious bike ride this afternoon. The weather is supposed to be perfect. This cold lingers, though, and it's moved to my lungs, so maybe I shouldn't ride my bike. It's just so hard to have to work and be sick when it's so lovely out!

Food plan today:

M1 kale with eggs and cultured carrots

M2 Chicken Nan King

M3 Nicoise Salad

Cheers to day 3!

I am going to Philly this weekend to see a good friend who's living there while on sabbatical. I have never really hung out in Philly. Been there for a wedding shower years ago and to visit my aunt and uncle who live outside the city but know nothing about Philly at all. My friend made dinner reservations at 6pm, not sure where. She has very good taste though and enjoys eating good food. (She and her mom were long time Fuhrman people but she loves her meat. And Bloody Marys.)  It'll be fun. I'm really looking forward to getting away for an evening. I will report on the restaurant. 

Funny about heels because I wear them now only two or three times a year. I used to live in them. I mean, I used to really dig nice shoes and take pride in walking up and down all the subway steps in them--even pregnant--and now they just hurt. I do though also love getting dressed up. We had a fundraiser at my son's school at an art gallery, and I used the opportunity to really deck myself out. What a sad surprise to show up and see all the parents wearing their usual jeans, etc. Ah well. Enjoy your dress up opportunity!

Your booch sounds amazing. I got the water kefir going again but I am trying to find a scoby and get some booch started. Of course I get carried away trying to find the exact right 100% brewing system and convince myself I can't start because I can't swing the super schwammy handmade $400 ceramic whatever. But I will ignore that voice.

• Moderators

Philly is one of my favorite places, Beets. Wonderful restaurants and down-to-earth folks. I'm so glad you're getting a weekend with your friend. Would love a report on the restaurant. 

I think prioritizing comfort is something that rightfully comes with age (and wisdom). But I'd like to think I'll always value adornment and fashion as artistry with one's own presentation. Function, yes, but not entirely at the expense of form. My aim is to be one of those women who continue to turn heads after their sex appeal fades for their unique sense of self and style. Have you seen Bill Cunningham New York? Wonderful documentary. On Netflix. Love him and love his genuine delight and wonder in how people dress. I never want to lose that sense of play and fun.

• Moderators

Day 3 went as planned though I flipped meals 2 and 3. I'm eating a lot this week. AF still hasn't arrived and I wish she would. Everything in its own sweet time, I know.

The cold is running its course, but it's certainly making itself known. I could hardly teach last night for coughing. My poor students. 

My answer to whether or not to ride my bike in yesterday's glorious sunshine was to walk to work in the afternoon. It meant walking home in the dark, but I took the main well-lit route. Much colder and less pleasant without the sun. But I'm always glad to be moving my body. More walking as part of my regular routine is my intention.

Plan today:

M1 egg bake

M2 cod, fennel w lemon, mashed broccoli, banana

M3 salade nicoise

Barre tonight. Maybe walk to and from work, depending on weather. It's threatening to rain. But I'm not made of sugar, as my grandmother says.

Archived