percypat's post whole 30 - let's doooooooo it!

percypat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nezEfrpO-jk for reference, skip to 0:28 if you don't want to watch the whole thing ;) I love Captain Flashheart. Woof woof!

Yesterday was the last day of my first Whole 30 and I'm starting my post whole 30 log/thingymabob straight away because it's June 1 and the tidiness of it pleases me.

I had a good Whole 30 overall. To the best of my knowledge I didn't slip up foodwise. I ate lots of veggies and worked out different ways to cook them (I'm half Chinese - used to put soy sauce on EVERYTHING). I tried new things. I cooked with liver for the first time. I am growing my own SCOBY for kombucha brewing (and am still slightly concerned I will wake up one morning to find it has climbed out of its jar, come to the bedroom and is going to to ask me if it can have a snack or something).

Apart from a few days' slump in the middle my energy levels were good, and the tummy issues that came with it were most likely related to an increased dose in my eczema medication. No headaches or mad cravings.

I have "met" so many awesome, cool and crazy people. You guys are the nicest online community I have ever been a part of. :wub:

My one gripe is that I didn't lose any weight. I actually put on about 2 pounds. (Just under a kilo). I know I shouldn't focus on this too much and I am trying not to. All the positives definitely outweigh (pun most definitely intended) this.

I want to continue eating this way, and I am very happy to report that I woke up this morning still very much in Whole 30 mode. I like eating this way, so we'll just keep on keeping on and will see what happens next!

Here are some numbers:

- I'm 30 years old, 5,2 and about 128.5 lb (58.3 kg).

- current exercise is teaching 2 Zumba classes a week

And my goals over the next 30 days:

- Include some exercise everyday (e.g. a half-hour Zumba practice at home or a 45 minute walk)

- Continue following the Whole 30 template for all meals I prepare at home, bar the occasional dessert with Whole 30 compliant ingredients (no more than once a week).

- Reintroduce dairy, sugar and wheat over the next couple of weeks with sole purpose of identifying any reactions. (Not so I can start eating them again regularly - see next goal).

- Restrict off-roading to meals out/eaten at friends' houses.

- Reduce nuts and fruit.

- Completely cut out snacking.

- More bone broth as go-to hot drink, less tea with coconut milk.

I think that seems reasonable. :)

Looking forward to the next phase of my journey! Thanks everyone who stuck with me :)

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hee hee, Patricia? The "pat" is for my last name! :)

Days 31 and 32 have gone pretty well. Food has remained compliant and to template. My yoghurt is sitting in the fridge and I have no desire whatsoever to try it. So weird! I used to be a dairy fiend! I haven't eaten any for ages as I was avoiding it for my eczema (though haven't had testing done) but I used to miss it. Not anymore. What I am desperate to try though is a paleo friendly chocolate mousse made with coconut cream. I know I'm allowed to have it now but each time I think about making it, my brain squeals at me. What has happened to me?!?!

I'm failing with the exercise already: yesterday I was in the kitchen for a good chunk of the afternoon and then realised after dinner that I hadn't done any. Today I worked a four hour shift, came home with a headache and feeling sick so have taken it easy. Must try to get out for a walk or something tomorrow.

I think my SCOBY has stalled. Too cold. We've started putting the heater on so I'll give it a few more days and if it's not growing noticeably thicker, it might be time to investigate a heating pad. Poor cold little Scobes! Home brewed kombucha seems so so far away :(

"percy" has been my online name forever (Thomas the Tank fan when I was little, guess which engine was my favourite) and the "pat" got added as just percy tends to be taken nowadays.

If I'd known how comfortable and honest these forums are, I would have just used my real name!

And yeah, you should give it a go. Seems to be a Whole 30 rite of passage!

I'm not a fan of 'Fail'. I'm thinking you still have a challenge happen in the exercise department. You have way too many successes going to use the word Fail about yourself. Just my most personal opinion. :) I hear ya about the dairy. What's appealing to me now is the template. Safety net? Who cares, it works.

Keep that SCOBY warm. I forget we're not in the same season. I do however get that you're winding down when I'm waking up!

Thanks calee :) I had a hiccup then ;) I too am still best-buddies with the template, no break up in sight.

As for baby kale ... Hmmm. I started off just eating my kale as a salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, then discovered kale chips and can't resist turning every bunch of kale into those! I never got round to wilting it. Where's Nadia when you need her?

I find the kale here too tough, but maybe Nadia has a secret weapon?

Calee I also bake mine. Cut off the steams, toss in olive oil, add paprika or curry or turmeric etc and stir, the spread out on baking paper and cook hot eg 400F for 5-10 mins or till crispy but not burnt... Stir it up half way if you want. I cook about 150g at a time.

Is it just me, or is the "0 warning points" beneath the number of posts under my picture a new thing?  I don't see it under anyone else's picture?  Sounds a bit scary!

I had fun with dinner tonight, found turkey drumsticks at the supermarket so cooked those along with broccoli and the pattypan squash (yum btw!  Tried them two ways: sauteed in ghee and roasted with herbs and olive oil.  Both nice, but preferred the ghee).  Very proud of my turkey effort, I rubbed the drumsticks with a herb. olive oil and salt mixture and stuck lemon slices under the skin:

turkey1_zpsb19f9416.jpg

turkey3_zps0d3c71d9.jpg

Don't worry, I had way more of the squash than that, was still waiting on the roasted batch as it needed a few minutes more.

But then I did my first bit of off-roading and something really didn't agree with me.  I made a coconut cream mousse kind of dessert, using the separated coconut cream from a refrigerated can of coconut milk, a dash of vanilla, a few drops of stevia and carob powder (subbed in for cocoa powder as I didn't have any).  I saw that recipe on reddit a couple of weeks ago and thought it sounded yummy, and told myself I could make it once I'd finished my Whole 30.  So I did and even as I was eating it, I wasn't completely enthused.  It didn't feel quite right going down.  Pretty much as soon as I'd finished it I felt sick.  Really sick.  I didn't throw up but *TMI ALERT* let's just say another kind of evacuation took place.  I feel fine now.  

For all I know it could have been the turkey (doubt it though, hubby is fine) or the pattypan (I've never eaten those before).  But I just feel like it was the dessert.  I eat coconut milk/cream all the time.  I've had carob, vanilla and stevia all before with no adverse effects.  The vanilla was the first thing with added sugar I've had since I started my Whole 30, but we're talking a dash.  I'm a bit perplexed.

I guess I'll try pattypan squash again and if it happens again I'll know for sure who the culprit was.  But for now I'm taking this as a sign that I should steer clear of desserts.  I don't need them, I survived just fine without them for 30 whole days and apparently when you have them, bad things can happen!

On a happier note, I baked two of the purple sweet potatoes (purple on the outside, white on the inside) for eating during the week, tried a bit and they are delicious.  The orange ones are the common ones here in Aussie, but I love the purple ones so much more.  Is it a bit sad that I'm excited about waking up tomorrow morning and having some for breakfast?  Perhaps I need more excitement in my life.

Also: just watched latest episode of Game of Thrones.  I've read up to Book 4 so I knew what was coming but hubby hasn't and his reaction was priceless!  Only one episode left though  :(

I never noticed the warning points thing.  I think you only see it for yourself.  I don't see it under your name, but I do see it under mine.  Weird. 

I bet the dessert was just too rich for you now and that it wasn't actually the ingredients. 

I don't think I've had a purple sweet potato.  I'll have to look for them at the farmer's market later this summer.  I LOVE sweet potatoes!

Lol You crack me up, kale owners :) I love kale. Of course I do. So you've covered chips. 

Since my tummy is very sensitive I need to cook it.

1. Salads. Make sure to MASSAGE kale. It makes tonn of a difference, I am not joking. Susan has a kick-ass tahini dressing for it. KB makes it with Ceasar dressing I think. Variations are endless. My favorite was with tomatoes and pistachios, but nightshades and nuts are out. Unfair :)  This one is freaking fantastic - coconut bacon kale salad. 

2. Caldo verde. OMG. Portugese soup. Best thing ever. Here #1, Here#2 or Here#3.

3. Love sauteeing it. Basic technique - here.  

My favorite combos:

- garlic and lemon

- apples and onions

- Ras El Hanout and coconut milk 

- mushrooms and garlic

- capers and red onions 

- raisins and almonds (with some apple cider vineger)

Have fun. I hope I am not too late heh. 

I never noticed the warning points thing.  I think you only see it for yourself.  I don't see it under your name, but I do see it under mine.  Weird. 

I bet the dessert was just too rich for you now and that it wasn't actually the ingredients. 

I don't think I've had a purple sweet potato.  I'll have to look for them at the farmer's market later this summer.  I LOVE sweet potatoes!

Hate new quote thing :( Our friend Sophie calls regular sweet potatoes purple sweet potatoes and confuses everyone. They have white flesh. LOL. 

Hate new quote thing :( Our friend Sophie calls regular sweet potatoes purple sweet potatoes and confuses everyone. They have white flesh. LOL.

Well I wasn't confused by Sophie's comment but I am by yours.... Looks like there is a country thing happening...

In Oz the orange/red potatoes are the norm and the white (purple inside) and purple (white inside) are the specialty ones.

Which purple ones are your norm Nadia? Purple inside or purple outside or maybe you have a different purple one again??

That warning line is definitely new, sounds like it might be for the mods to keep track of insurgents..... A thread got blocked yesterday because it upset so many people including Melissa!

I was going to say Stevia as well especially given the way it left your body. Maybe try the desert with banana or some raw honey as sweetener instead.

Kale is my go to ingredient for breakfast - sauteed in butter (if not W30) or ghee (if W30) with liberal sea salt until dark green and reduced and than I add 4 eggs, more salt, and scramble it all up.

Ha!  I'm glad you get it Justine :)  In my house an orange one is a sweet potato, a purple one is a kumara and those white skinned ones with purple flesh are a picture on Nadia's blog.  Simples!

Thanks for your thoughts ladies, it was liquid stevia (couldn't see any other ingredients on the bottle, but who knows what they do to it!).  Chucking out the rest of the dessert today anyway.  I didn't even like it all that much!  

Have been so proud of hubby eating all the veggies I've been putting in front of him, not complaining that anything is bland (I do try to keep things interesting, but I do worry sometimes that cutting out sugary sauces leaves him wanting) and saying he likes eating healthy.  Then last night he announces he wants to make "tablet".  What's tablet you ask?  I asked too.  It's this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablet_(confectionery)

Basically a buttery, crumbly fudge.

Oh my god.  That is EXACTLY my kind of sweet.  I've told him he'll be taking it into work.  That stuff cannot stay in this house.  

Edit: spelling.

Archived