percypat's post whole 30 - let's doooooooo it!

percypat

I'm so glad you like the raspberry! That my second fav flavor. My first is Hybiscus Ginger Grapefruit. I love everything grapefruit since my only trip to summer camp when I was around 10. Grapefruit and oatmeal. Still fond memories. Funny tht I don't remember anything about lunch or dinner.

I'm glad you were able to off road, thn get right back to where you hoped. Really progress, eh?

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that you point it out calee, I am pretty chuffed about that!

Have had a good day today: all meals compliant, no snacking and a walk down to the post office.  Broth, chicken and bok choy for brekkie, sardines and bok choy for lunch, and salmon cakes and red cabbage for dinner.  Had some cocoa made with boiling water and coconut milk afterwards and it was very satisfying.  Absolutely no desire to nibble afterwards.  Good to have an after dinner treat which doesn't trigger the dreaded nibbles up my sleeve.

Opened the big bottle of plain booch today to see if that had carbonated at all and while it hardly had any fizz (lid probably not airtight), it had grown me a little round baby SCOBY at the top!  That was a surprise!  I've filled up two smaller bottles with some of the booch plus some pieces of dried fig, and the mini baby is sitting in the remainder of the liquid.  I'm going to get some white tea tomorrow and see if I can grow this baby up a bit.  Then I could get a white tea batch going as well!

I'm going to need some more bottles.  Very very soon.  I also need help drinking all my booch as I'm not going through it fast enough.  I could bottle again tomorrow but I've only drunk about 1/3 of the first batch.  I could drink it way faster but I'm going slow because of my meds.  Asked my Dad what he thought (he's a GP) and he said "moderation".  (He doesn't have a clue what kombucha is).  But based on me saying it's fermented sweet tea which I'm making at home he just said "moderation" and left it at that.

It must be hard for doctors.  If there aren't concrete studies saying something is ok then they have to play it safe.  I know Dad doesn't like me asking questions like that, and it's quite mean of me to do so.  Doctors prefer not to treat family members and for good reason. Unfortunately for Dad, he's the doctor I trust the most so I always want his opinion!

I wonder if you have a neighbor that might like some booch? Maybe you can put an ad, will trade botch for_________?

So happy to hear you're doing so well! W30 has turned into something great!

I have the same, though maybe not as severe, reaction when I drink - beet red, low tolerance and asthma.  Hmmm. 

I'm sorry the restaurant wasn't fabulous.  But glad that all of your booch is working out!

Percy - just an idea of what I did.  Post on FB that you need bottles with lids - my family members recycle so I was able to take their glass bottles from them  - a lotof pasta sauces, pickle jars, salad dressings, etc but hey it works!

Hi there! Read through the thread and here is my random input :) 

1. Chayote and bitter melon. You will beat me with these. I am eyeing them every time at the Asian supermarket, but I've never cooked them. I checked the thread in cooking section and I am excited to see what you come up with. 

2. Bottles. If your FB friends don't have bottles (brilliant suggestion btw!) you can check beer brewing supplies stores. They sell glass bottles by cases.

3. Booch utilization. Freeze it? I am not sure if the benefits will be impacted by freezing, but I think so. It stores in the fridge for a very long time. Brew less. You can give Frankie a break and just let it chill out in a couple cups of liquid in a dark place. Throw a booch tasting party with a clear bottle as an entrance fee? I am getting all creative, haha. 

4. Hurray for the fizz. I can't figure out mango flavor too. Got a super ripened one and wait for it to soften even more. Mad science. 

Cheers, dear Sophie!

Love all the suggestions!  I think smaller batches might be the way to go for now (I just get so over-excited!) and saving every jar/bottle which comes my way.  (Hmmm, I see some strategic shopping happening on Friday ...).  Will test 2nd batch today but will probably let it run a couple of days more to see how that turns out and to give myself a chance to empty a couple more bottles.

I'm teaching Zumba tonight which means I'm allowed some sweet potato today (trying to keep it to exercise only days) which I'm scoffing for lunch right now.  One of the purple beauties from the market - yum!  And slurping my raspberry-vanilla booch which is fizzay!  Wheeeeee!

IMG_20130618_125108_zpsc5b3f264.jpg

I wonder what the fig booch will taste like?  Have just brewed white tea to try and grow my surprise baby.  *booch obsessed*

I wonder if surprise beauty is going to be little she? Your very own boochie baby.

I liver my liver pate because it's a Traditional family thing. I like liver and tons of onions... Once. Then I'm done with it. So this is perfect, just toss everything left in the cuisinart and whala! The only thing I added were two egg yolks. I can't believe I ate it for breakfast this morning with sautéed cabbage.

Have a fun day and a good Zumba class. I'm off to sleep.

Why thank you!  (I had to look it up, but I'll take it!).

Happy with myself today: food has been compliant, did have 1 snack but it was a salmon cake, not a piece of fruit and with Zumba this evening I had a late dinner.  So feel it was acceptable to have something protein-y and not sugary to tide me over.  

Zumba was AWESOME - have been struggling to build this class (first time running classes on my own, I always used to teach for other people's businesses and I am not business-savvy at all ...  I just wanna dance) and I had NINE new faces tonight.  Funny how everyone decides to start exercising on the same night.  The atmosphere went through the roof with the extra people.  There's nothing like  watching everyone grin as they dance.  It's a part-time/hobby job but I love it so much.  Heh, can you tell I'm still pumped?

Goal for tomorrow: stay compliant with food, do some at-home exercise (found some ideas for strength training without equipment - just things like jumping jacks and push ups and whatnot, but they're in a list with the numbers decided for me which is exactly the kind of direction I need) and get lots of writing done.

I just wanna dance, so so right  :wub:

Some ideas about chicken liver pate. You can add - thyme, rosemary, lemon, parsley, apples, orange zest, garlic, mushrooms, sage and carrots. I really love my Grams recipe for liver roll. Cook livers, onions and carrots then blend into paste. Spread on the plastic wrap in a layer, cover with butter plates (or a layer of ghee), roll and refrigerate. This one is very very close. Easy to portion! 

Liver love hehe

Yeah, so I totally need to buy some more chicken liver!  

I did 4 raspberries to a 325 ml bottle and I thought it was nice - could taste the raspberry but wasn't overpowering the booch flavour either.  My raspberries were frozen (who knows if that has an impact?).

If the fizz is there today, I might try fig!  Otherwise the last raspberry :)

I did something I haven't done in a long long time today.  Day started normally.  I got up when hubby was getting ready to go to work (about 6:45am), had breakfast and checked through my emails.  Was going to start writing.  Felt so tired, my eyes were closing.  Went back to bed thinking I'd have an hour of rest, watch a bit of Family Guy on the laptop.  I fell asleep and woke up at 10am!  I have had a couple of late nights: writing on Tuesday night and then taking a long time to wind down last night after super Zumba class so I probably had a bit to catch up on, but goodness me.

I don't know how I'm going to fit back into the real world when I finish my PhD.  Getting so used to structuring my day however I want.

Apart from my sleepy episode this morning, I'm happy with my day.  I've eaten compliant and to template, I haven't snacked, I cooked my chokos tonight and hubby and I both liked them.  I walked to the pharmacy to pick up my medication instead of driving down.  I did the home exercises I've been meaning to start for ages (and remembered how much I hate burpees).  

I'm going to go to bed when hubby goes (he's on the early roster this week so earlier bedtime for him) and not mess around on my computer and stay up later than I mean to.

Second batch of booch bottled tonight, just raspberries and boysenberries, a couple with some vanilla extract thrown in.  Hubby had a glass of raspberry from the last batch this evening (of his own volition) and liked it so thought we'd stick with a berry theme.  This batch is so fizzy!  Stronger brew this time plus more sugar must have helped.  I guess the combined might of Frank and his baby could have helped too.  Frank's baby has fused to the new baby which grew, and they are enormous compared to him.  I've put them in the new batch and Frank is having a bit of time out in a SCOBY hotel.  I might add some sweet tea to his bottle too and see if I can fatten him up a bit.

IMG_20130619_202533_zps40787daa.jpg

Crazy mama feeding babies to get the fat, look at you ahahha. Details for chokos cooking please. 

Burpees oh burpess, it's always a love/hate thing. I love them but I hate them. Especially the "surfer" kind. 

You are doing so great, sweetie. Keep up taking great care of yourself, hubby and Frankie. 

Poor hubby's tummy played up in bed last night.  He's got a very delicate stomach with GERD.  Automatically wary of the kombucha now.  The only new thing was the choko, but it's such a bland vegetable that I think he's probably right.  If he decides to try the booch again, I'll make sure it's in the morning.

Chokos!  Peeled them, cut them into big chunks and cooked them in a tomato sauce.  Fried diced medium onion and 1 clove smashed garlic in olive oil, added 1 can crushed tomato, 1 tbs lemon juice and 1/2 cup of veggie stock, brought to the boil and added chokos.  Cooked til they were tender - about 20 minutes.  Very nice, mild veggie - will just take on the flavour of whatever you cook them with.

I think I owe Frank a bit of an apology after all my photos and comments of what an abomination he is.  It's the second baby that is the massive monstrosity.  His first baby has fused to the second baby and Frankie had just been hanging out beneath them.  He still looks the same - thin little disc (but still bumpy and dark).  I feel bad.  Hoping he is enjoying his holiday in his little SCOBY hotel.

Checked my bottles and can see fizz ...  Might have to try one today instead of waiting for two days.

Ok, have so much writing to do today!  I want to be able to come back tonight and say I've drafted my whole presentation and sent it to my supervisor!

Sophie, I have read in several places that if someone has stomach issues that they should start with only .25% bottle and work their way up but that it can be very benefitial to belly issues. Hopefully he wont develop a "headache" at the thought of booch like my DD did.

I wanted to tell you that you have two raw rhubarb converts!  My 8 yo (oddly the one with food allergies is also the adventurous eater and wanna be chef) was helping me cut up rhubarb for the sauce last night and I remembered that you said you like it raw with salt, so we tried it and we both liked it! 

also -  I had a stomach ache for a week after starting to drink homemade booch.  I'm not sure it was the booch, but my theory is that the hm booch has more probiotics and good stuff than the store bought and I needed time to get used to it.  I am fine now. 

Susan, we started with commercial booch and he was drinking small amounts when he first tried it - really liked it and at the time I thought he was handling it ok but he said this morning that his tummy played up those times as well (it's such an ongoing issue for him that he won't complain unless it's really bothering him).  He hasn't had any for awhile and his tummy has been a lot more settled - though that could just be coincidence.  Or not! 

I might see if he wants to try commercial again and buy him another bottle.  Or suggest small amounts in the morning since it's at night that his tummy likes to kick up!  Hopefully we can avoid the booch headache at this end.  How will I realise my simultaneous white tea/black tea batches if there's no one to help me drink it?

Jen, I love that your little one loves it!  Isn't it great with salt?  Just brings out all the tanginess.  Just makes sure you have a big drink of water or something afterwards to wash that acid off your teeth  :D

I think most sane people eat it cooked, but I'm a sucker for anything crunchy and sour :D  I'm in French studies!  

Had another good day yesterday, food compliant except a teaspoon of sugar in my cocoa made with coconut milk and hot water (I had a weird fluttery stomach, didn't want to eat but needed a little something before I taught my Zumba class) which I wasn't all fussed on, and a nibble of some sweets my mother sent me - far too sweet.  Hubby laughed at me.  He's never seen me pull a face at sugar.  Sweets have been handed over to him.

Did my veggie stock up at the market this morning and bought a bitter melon.  That's my new vegetable challenge for this week.  Hope we like it: was reading about it online and there is so much goodness in these bad boys.  Just hope it's not toooo bitter to be enjoyable!

Archived