percypat's post whole 30 - let's doooooooo it!

percypat

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Frank! I totally get how you feel about creating him. I feel that way about Zach. When he's up there onstage talking about a film, I'm like....yeah, i made him! It's amazing the kudos I get for making him. Just wit till hubby is downing that booch, he'll be so proud of you for making Frank.

I bought sardines for the guy i was seein. I dumped the guy but still have the sardines. You've convinced me to try them. I have several kinds to sample. Maybe I'll like them? Anchovies for sure. Love those salty little bites.

Glad the dairy all ears to be working out. Keep us update!

Hee hee!  Is it wrong that I keep thinking of Dr Frank'n'Furter?  From trans-sexual Transylvania?

Frank has dropped back down to the bottom again!  I can't keep up with him.  So busy.

Hmmm calee, I dunno ...  The more SCOBY action he sees, the more disgusted he gets.  It's a bit like some people with meat - they like it when it comes in nice packages at the supermarket, but when they actually see it as coming from a dead animal they feel yuck about eating it.  Oh well.  More booch for me!  (He did say he would have a sip, so who knows, he might come around).

My 8 yo LOVES the "grossness" of the scoby.  It makes him like kombucha more. Boys!

My husband is letting the team down then.  He thinks it's so disgusting, it's putting him off wanting to drink it, even though he likes kombucha!

Juzbo, I've read that it's a probiotic and also that it has no proven health claims.  So I couldn't say for sure!  I like to think it has health benefits and it certainly has live cultures in it.  To be honest, I got into it for the taste which is right up my alley (sour and fizzy).  

I have a confession.  Today I guzzled a whole bunch of date rolls - mushed up dates coated with coconut.

I think the moral of the story is that dried fruit in pretty much any form is the ultimate FWB for me and putting it in my shopping trolley should not even be an option.

Hubby has stated his intention to buy the ingredients to make this tablet sweet tomorrow.  I'm a bit scared.

On the plus side, I went to the market this morning and stocked up on veggies again and was offered a box to carry them in, instead of plastic bags.  Clearly I must look like I mean serious business when I'm buying veggies.

And I got the Japanese sweet potatoes - the light skinned ones with the beautiful purple flesh.  I baked one tonight:

CAM00119_zps19b66d17.jpg

I'm supposed to be reducing my sweet potato consumption but now I've found these lovely new varieties and I just want to scoff them all up!  I think I need to start exercising more so I can't eat them without worry about extra poundage!

My husband is letting the team down then.  He thinks it's so disgusting, it's putting him off wanting to drink it, even though he likes kombucha!

Juzbo, I've read that it's a probiotic and also that it has no proven health claims.  So I couldn't say for sure!  I like to think it has health benefits and it certainly has live cultures in it.  To be honest, I got into it for the taste which is right up my alley (sour and fizzy).  

------------------------------

Mine isn't thrilled, either.  He made me move my scoby off the kitchen counter because he doesn't like looking at it!  Luckily, I cleared out all of the canisters that no longer hold baking supplies and made room in the pantry for the scoby and the 2nd ferment jars.  Poor baby scoby!  Mama scoby is thrilled with her scoby hotel in the basement - peace and quiet, at last!  Every mother's dream. :P

Aw, I bet she is.  Sounds like my dad actually, except we don't have a grandbaby to give him!  He got his first one last year (my older sister) and instead of making him happy, it's just making him greedy for more :)

Hubby finally made his "tablet" sweet today while I was at work.  Basically a crumbly fudge: it's so yummy and I have had so many pieces.  I've told him to take it to work on Monday to share with his colleagues and to get it out of the house, but after my 103rd thousand piece I realised that I can't let "it's in the house and it wasn't even me who brought it here" be an excuse.  I need to just exercise some restraint and say no.  My tummy feels tight - not full, mind - just tight across the lower part of my tummy and it came on after my guzzle-fest.

Apart from that, nothing major.  We're going to the aquarium tomorrow!  Haven't been yet, but it looks really good.  

Frank hanging out near the surface of his jar now.  Excited for Tuesday when the tasting can begin.

Glad to hear it Shelda, wasn't just me then!

Ok, it's Monday and I am back on the compliance train come hell or high water.  I ate so much of hubby's confection creation over the weekend and it has to stop.  He doesn't want to share it at work.  I got up super early to do some reading, went back to bed for a wee snooze as my eyes were closing and got woken up to the sound of something crashing on the floor.  Hubby was trying to hide the box of tablet on a high shelf - poor thing wanted to keep it for himself but felt bad leaving it where I would be tempted.  I felt mean!  Oh well, box is now well out of my reach and I am NOT going to start rearranging furniture so I can get at it.

I have sardines for lunch, lots of homemade chicken broth and spinach and I am going to have a crack at making my own turkey sausage patties for dinner.  I don't need sweets.

Desperate to sample my booch, trying to make myself wait til tomorrow though, then it'll have had 7 days of fermenting.  Hoping baby SCOBY gets a move on and thickens up a bit more so I don't feel bad about moving it.

You.dont.need.sugar.period. You'll feel so much better without it. You make the most amazing real food. I'm always jealous of your food.

So sweet of hubby to get the sweets out of your is vision. He's been really supportive of your journey.

I hope Frank isn't being mean to baby SCOBY. Maybe you need to give him a talking to!

I know, it was lovely of him really.  I got a text at midday telling me not to eat too much of it and I was able to text back saying I hadn't touched a piece.  My eating has been good today, so when he got home and got the box down and offered me a bit it was easy to say no.  Didn't want to ruin my good work :)

I hope Frank isn't being mean either!  I will have words!

I made sausage patties for dinner tonight!  First time I've done that, they turned out pretty tasty!  Hubby scarfed them down :)

I find so often that it's all in my mind.  It's like flipping a switch.  If I can keep the switch flipped "off" I can easily avoid eating any treat even when it's right in front of me.  But, if I switch it "on" (thinking, oh one bite won't hurt...) watch out!  Good job flipping the switch to "off"!

Did you try your kombucha yet?  What did you think?  I bottled my 2nd ferment yesterday (blueberry/ginger) but have a couple days before I move grandbaby scoby to the hotel and start another batch.  My 8 yo wants to try orange for this next batch to see if it tastes like orange soda.

How was the aquarium? I love them. I think they are better than meditation or yoga :D Did you think that jellyfishes look like lots and lots of scobies? 

Stories about your hubby make me laugh every time. I imagined the guilty look of someone caught at the crime scene when you found him hiding the thing.  

TacoFrank can't let you down, he's a good kid. You'll be testing in several days, yay! Have you decided on flavors already? 

I love turkey patties with capers and mustard or olives and sundried tomatoes mixed in. 

Jen: so know what you mean.  As soon as I flick the switch for just one bit then it's game over.  I would love for that to change oneday, but for now definitely not the case.  The figs, the dates and hubby's tablet sweet are all testament to that!

Nadia: yes, loved it!  Like a giant fishtank which I don't have to clean!  So peaceful.  And yes, scoby did flash through my head when we got to the jellyfish but I refrained from saying it.  I think poor hubby has had enough.  Hee hee, he totally had the guilty look when I went out to see what the noise was - more of a puppy that's been caught in the act of ripping apart your favourite shoes!  :lol:

I'm going to test today!  It's been a week!  I've got some ginger, lemons, frozen raspberries and frozen mango on standby for flavouring so I will have a play around and see.  No real baby yet though, just a film across the top with a few thicker spots here and there.  Not too sure what to do as it looks so flimsy!

Aw thanks Nadia.  I have good mentors  :D

Here is something else to make you smile!

CAM00134_zpsd1d92530.jpg

Good day for me today - lots of reading done, had a nice chat with one of the professors in European Studies who is letting me do an undergraduate paper on Utopia (the theory will be useful for me as I write my thesis), and went to a seminar given by my supervisor.  So interesting and now I have more books to add to my ever-growing reading list.  Eating pretty good, except for a few bites of tablet - thank the flying spaghetti monster there's not too much left.  Must exercise self control from now on like I did yesterday and avoid it.

Another new lady came to my Zumba class  :D   I only started it 2 months ago so still trying to grow it, and my three die hards who come all the time are ALL on holiday at the moment so it has been very quiet.  But I picked up a new participant last week and again tonight so that's nice.

And hubby brought home a pressie for me!  Years ago I used to play a computer game called "Spore" (an evolution/civilisation game) and was saying the other day I wanted to play it again because I liked running around as a little dinosaur making friends with other dinosaurs.  He found it in a store in town and bought it for me.  I don't get flowers but I do get good geek presents :)

For anyone who does not frequent the booch thread - and because I want to show it off EVERYWHERE - here is today's crowning glory:

CAM00133_zps803099a7.jpg

I have a few flavours there, plus a big bottle of plain.  Really looking forward to trying raspberry-vanilla.

Archived