Getting road ready! Two different roads!

In April I rode a bike for the first time in 50 years. I rode with my son in the hotel parking lot. I didn't venture into road because I wasn't Road Ready. I feel the same way about my May Whole30. Still not quite Road Ready.

I followed W30 with no nightshades, beef, eggs or oranges because of sensitivities. On day 15 I committed to AIP and let go of coffee, nuts and most coconut because I discovered sensitivity. I finished the last 15 days that way. On Day 31 I tested a teaspoon of Ghee on a sweet potato and had a stuffed up nose within 15 minutes. That was a clear message to continue a clean AIP for the next 30 or 60 days. I'm thrilled with my 30 day results and feel vibrant. I ate Primal before and easily hiked 30-40 miles a week but I wanted to see how good it could get. Plus I have sleep issues, that are so improved!

The people on this forum are amazing. I love the community. When I let go of he coffee, I had a slump that lasted 7 long, exhausting days. It was the help of my friends here that pulled me through it. It's all documented in my WholeWhatever log on the noobie forum. Did I mention that I've met incredible, inspiring women, and men here?

Here's my stats if they matter to anyone. 5'4", 62 years, Rheumatoid Arthritis in remission for a decade, mom had Celiac. Formerly in love with any combination of flour, fat and sugar. I'm hypothyroid on meds for three years.

I was morbidly obese for decades, my highest being 250. Decades of counting, weighting, measuring, no carb, low carb, vegan, raw.... You get it, everything! W30 is so liberating! The only food I measure is if I'm making a recipe.

January 1, 2013 started Primal Blueprint @ 152

May 1st started W30 @ 148.6

May 31st @ 144

Delighted! My size 6 skinny jeans need to go into the dryer for shrinking! Never thought I'd say that.

I'm excited for the next 30 days. I bet I feel radiant at the end.

My second Road Ready project... I want to walk the Camino De Santiago in Spain with my son Zach in 2014. It's a milestone year for us both. He'll be 40 and me 64. I love the idea of a spiritual walk as I head towards retirement. It's 500 miles and quite an undertaking! Zach loves the idea of doing it together. So I'd best get in shape, don't ya think? I'll just have to convince my boss that six weeks of vacation is perfect!

See you on the Road! ;)

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your walk sounds amazing! I'll have to walk it vicariously through you. I'm sure you'll be perfectly fit for the journey. All your burpees and all. ;)

Love the analogy, as I wrote on the other thread. It's a great one. I'm wobbly too! But you are much better at keeping your eyes on the prize. Thanks for the inspiration Calee!

I love your road ready analogy! I can't wait to read about your walk in Spain this year!

Probably not until next year. I just got this job in November, plus I have lots of miles to walk in preparation. I'll need to be really strong to sleep in hostels and community rooms. :). It's going to be fun getting stronger.

Your walk sounds amazing! I'll have to walk it vicariously through you. I'm sure you'll be perfectly fit for the journey. All your burpees and all. ;)

Love the analogy, as I wrote on the other thread. It's a great one. I'm wobbly too! But you are much better at keeping your eyes on the prize. Thanks for the inspiration Calee!

Hugs and more hugs Beets! I think you were the first person to write to me when I got here! You continually inspire me! I don't have baby distractions so perhaps it's easier for me to focus nom but just you wait!

Day 32: low key day. Some shopping, some reading, some cooking, some socializing.

My Pilates Reformer class kicked my tush yesterday morning. I haven't done that since last summer. Too pricey without a deal. Every muscle hurts. I didn't know I have that many in my tummy, abs, ribs, arms and back. Legs aren't bad because I hike so much. But the rest, let's just say... Begging for mercy! Today I rested. Tomorrow is a long hike, then back on the freaking reformer at 6am Monday morning.

Happy to still be on AIP. Felt a little munchie today. Maybe it's finishing my Whole30 and now it's like starting again, except it's a continuation. I just kept myself occupied and asked a friend to dinner, knowing that I wouldn't munch. I often ask people to come eat with me, or come walk me. After all, we have to ask for what we need.

AIP Bites were good: feels like I should still be in the noobie place with my log if I'm gonna talk bites. Kinda strange. That said, I want my accountability. It's ll part of getting road ready.

1. Sausage patty, sautéed cabbage.

2. Liver pate, green beans, sweet potato.

3. Yummy baked chicken wings. I hate store bought and only like mine, green salad, EVOO, other half of the sweet potato from lunch.

This week I'm going to test ground beef. I stayed off it for the first 32 days. I want to be able to et it. It's my favorite meat! I could eat it daily with avocado.

Drank jasmine tea and not near enough water.

Content Camper.

Epic goal! And what an amazing thing to do with your son :)

You should totally keep logging your bites - at the least any new meals anyway. Especially as jazzing up your AIP food is something you want to do. Would be a great resource for other people on the AIP protocol. This is a partly selfish suggestion as AIP may well be in my future once I come off the immuno-suppressants and can actually see if my skin responds. I always get so much inspiration from other people's logs.

Day 33: slept great. Look ma no Ambien! I feel good but honestly still miss my morning coffee. I might add back in a decaf now that I know it's not forbidden on AIP.

I'm looking forward to my hike this morning. I signed up for Pilates reformer tomorrow night and a Barre class for Tuesday night. There's a 30/30 class I want later in the week. Combo reformer and Barre. And definitely a TRX class too! I'm delighted at these opportunities.

I haven't had beef in 33 days. I think I am going to test with some GF organic ground beef from Whole Foods. I wonder if I will like it as well without a bed of romaine, sour cream and salsa on it? That's been a standard of mine for years. I guess I'll find out. I feel lime my food has been clean enough to spot a reaction. I've omitted it during W30 because of a 20+ year old blood test. I have a feeling it wasn't the beef but the eggs that gave me the rough patch of skin. I love beef!

This afternoon I'm cooking so that I have grab and go meals for the week. Not much else planned.

This week I'm going to test ground beef. I stayed off it for the first 32 days. I want to be able to et it. It's my favorite meat! I could eat it daily with avocado.

Hoping the beef experiment goes well. I can also eat ground beef with avocado daily--and went for prob 10 meals in a row of beef, salad greens, avocado dressing (like guac with evoo) and lime. Maybe some variation in there, but not much. It's satisfying and tastes good.

No ambien is huge! Congrats !

Great job continuing your journey!

I would love to hike the AT here, but i don't think that's viable for me. Maybe in ten years?(I'm 52).

I'm glad I found you here, you are a huge inspiration for me. Now that I've started over (natural calms had Stevia), i need to see your successes!

No ambien is huge! Congrats !

Great job continuing your journey!

I would love to hike the AT here, but i don't think that's viable for me. Maybe in ten years?(I'm 52).

I'm glad I found you here, you are a huge inspiration for me. Now that I've started over (natural calms had Stevia), i need to see your successes!

Oh my goodness. I am so flattered that you find me an inspiration.

Amazing about the Natural Calm. Just goes to show how vigilant we need to be in label reading.

Day 34: feeling good. Trying a Barre class tonight. A bit nervous because I'm clueless what we do there. I don't smile as easily as I once did. Want to work on my joy and laughter.

Regular template bites today. Trying a kale salad recipe either tonight or tomorrow. Beets pointed me to a cool recipe.

I bet the joy and laughter will come much more easily when you start feeling a little more comfortable in that class.  When I concentrate really hard, I frown like there's no tomorrow.  Don't mean to, it's just my concentrating face!

Where's this kale recipe?  I want it :D

So glad to see you sticking with it! You're doing great Calee!!

AuntB! I wanted to get to your log today to wish you a very happy 1st sobriety anniversary! I hope you had a fantastic day!

Tonight my Pilates Reformer teacher said that ProWorks Pilates is doing Pilates on Steroids! Holy mother, no wonder I'm crying a few minutes into the class. I'm generally not sore until 24 hours after class. Class tonight was 5-6. It's not even bedtime yet and my arms and bs are aching.

I've never had a Barre Class. After class tonight the 20somethings said the Barre class is lots of cardio. Should I start crying now or wait till I get there at 6pm tomorrow?

Bites were all AIP friendly today. I tried sautéed kale at dinner. Not a fan. I'll try it another way tomorrow. It was tough. Hopefully it's a good internal cleanser. I think I could use it.

Here's to a good sleep and a happy body in the morning for my walk to work.

Day 35: slept good. It's been days, or is it weeks since I took the 1/4 ambien at night. Woke up with my cup of jasmine green tea. I do miss that strong flavor of morning coffee or decaf but I think this is a good wake up for me. I think I'm going to add in a decaf coffee this morning at the office and see how I feel afterwards.

I'm really feeling inclined towards green salads. I don't mind eating them for breakfast. When my son is home he makes up big ass salads 3x a day. It's his preferred eating. I think maybe because he learned to crawl and walk in our huge organic garden. He's always preferred salad to boxed junk that kids reach for. I'm happy to see he's kept that love all through his life. Maybe being a former professional athlete strengthened the healthy eating muscle. Well that's my morning musing.....unrelated to anything except my love of salad.

Bites:

1. salad and sausage, watermelon, kombucha mid morning

2. Salad, EVOO, avocado, sausage link, a few cherries

3. Testing GF ground beef, some sort of veggie, avocado, sweet potato

6-7 Barre class so 3. Will be late. I'll prep it before I go to class.

Archived