Hi Calee! Glad to catch up on your journey! That whole beef thing sounds a little like "sad day" in my book ...LOL! I'm all about the beef!  I'm glad to hear that you have it all under control! 

So, about the bone broth... I'm curious. I have made "bone"broth before using the bones from a turkey or chicken I'd roasted. I always put the bones into a pot with water and Swanson's chicken broth. Do you just cook bones with veggies, water and seasoning? Or just water? Do you use bones from a chicken you roasted, or do you just say to the meat guy,"You got any bones back there?" LOL All kidding aside, I love broth and i am curious about how it works. 

I am so glad for the weekend ... sounds like yours is going to be super fun! Have a great day and enjoy your movie!  :)

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Calee! Glad to catch up on your journey! That whole beef thing sounds a little like "sad day" in my book ...LOL! I'm all about the beef!  I'm glad to hear that you have it all under control! 

So, about the bone broth... I'm curious. I have made "bone"broth before using the bones from a turkey or chicken I'd roasted. I always put the bones into a pot with water and Swanson's chicken broth. Do you just cook bones with veggies, water and seasoning? Or just water? Do you use bones from a chicken you roasted, or do you just say to the meat guy,"You got any bones back there?" LOL All kidding aside, I love broth and i am curious about how it works. 

!  :)

I'm hoping it was a fluke and that I will be adding beef soon!

I buy a package of turkey necks and stick them in the crockpot for 12+ hours. The met comes out so tender. I use a carcas from a chicken that I roast. I leave a bit of meat on it for flavor. I generally cook overnight or longer. Because the chicken was seasoned for roasting, I don't add anything and just salt when drinking it. Turkey I throw some seasonings in because it's plain bones. I find the broth to be incredibly soothing to my tummy. Last night it was dinner with some veggies and cherries.

Day 39 wrapping up.

Day was full. Grocery shopping,ncooking, cleaning, ipading, watching Madmen 2hour 1st episode of the season. I have them stacked on the TiVo.

I thought about testing egg yolks today but just wasn't feeling it yet. Kept eating simple today. Salads, lamb chop, chicken thigh, sweet potato, cherries and kombucha. I didn't eat much dinner. Think I'll sip some hickey broth while I watch madmen.

Walked to the studio with a friend for Pilates Reformer. This was a slower basic class. First time I've had this instructor and loved her. Music was not too loud so I could hear her. Only 5 of us in class so had great form correction from her. Definitely not bloated because my tummy was flat! Maybe I'll get some muscles in my arms. I signed up for 5 classes next week and will hike as well.

I'm planning a good sleep tonight. Looking forward to my date tomorrow. He plans good dates. I think maybe tripping around Golden Gate Park is on the agenda. At least he knows I eat W30 and won't try to derail me.

Sounds like you're doing great, Calee! I'm enjoying reading these post-Whole30 logs to see how things go when you loosen the parameters just a little. Although it sounds like you're staying pretty close. Sorry about the beef, that has to be frustrating. Though as you said, maybe just a fluke.

And I'm in awe of all your walking!

Day 40: feels like a milestone. Dunno why.

Slept 12-6, had difficulty falling and staying asleep. Wwaking more times than I can count. I forgot to say that last night with dinner I had an ounce of macadamia nuts. I decided to test nuts since I'm coming off my month of AIP to test egg yolks. I felt my body digesting the nuts, even hours later. BOO! I guess it's not the worst thing and good information, I have figured out that if I give my body food that's difficult to digest, it has to be at lunch, not dinner or my sleep will suffer. So then the question, why in the world do I ever want to feed myself difficult to digest food? Wouldn't I prefer to eat easily digestible foods and let my body work on the radiant aspect instead? So ths gets back to the "party in my mouth" syndrome. Years of eating (prior to shedding 100 pounds) was about eating to please my palate, not eating strictly for nourishment. I was vegan/vegetarian/raw vegan, for many years of my adult life and Atkins for many as well. I do have to say, bacon is far more pleasing than tofu or beans! But I don't think I ever gave up eating to feed me emotionally. I could eat fruit on all those plans except Atkins.

It all comes back to the why of eating for me. I love food, flavors, how they feel on my tongue, but really after he first few bites, does the same pleasure continue? I think that's how I kicked chocolate/sugar habit, by allowing myself to savor just one square of really good dark chocolate. I can easily do just one and leave other sugar alone. Giving up the Splenda for these 40 days is great. From 1989-1998 I never ate anything with sugar higher than 7 on the ingredient list, so I know how to go without. I do like the clean feeling of W30 but will also enjoy that occasional one square when I'm ready to go there again.

I think when W30 is just about putting nutritious food on the plate, it might be a faster process in healing. But I came to W30 knowing how to feed myself, to some degree I was already on template. But when it's about "mind healing" it's a tougher nut to crack.

While I might not be so addicted to the actual food, I've been on a diet since I was 7 and got chubby. Looking back at pics, I was not chubby, just not stick thin anymore. So maybe I'm addicted to dieting, scale, tracking food and exercise and using it all to replicate my mom's negative voice about me. A way to kep myself from feeling really radiant and vibrant.

You know, If it's not one thing, it's your mother. :)

Happy Sunday World!

• Moderators

So then the question, why in the world do I ever want to feed myself difficult to digest food? Wouldn't I prefer to eat easily digestible foods and let my body work on the radiant aspect instead? So ths gets back to the "party in my mouth" syndrome. Years of eating (prior to shedding 100 pounds) was about eating to please my palate, not eating strictly for nourishment.

But I don't think I ever gave up eating to feed me emotionally.

It all comes back to the why of eating for me. I love food, flavors, how they feel on my tongue, but really after he first few bites, does the same pleasure continue?

I think when W30 is just about putting nutritious food on the plate, it might be a faster process in healing. But I came to W30 knowing how to feed myself, to some degree I was already on template. But when it's about "mind healing" it's a tougher nut to crack.

So maybe I'm addicted to dieting, scale, tracking food and exercise and using it all to replicate my mom's negative voice about me. A way to kep myself from feeling really radiant and vibrant.

Dear, sweet Calee, I heart you so much! And I relate to this so much while also giving credit and reverence to you and your journey that's been longer than mine.

When I'm feeling balanced I can remember that binary thinking always gets us into trouble, though it's a normal and necessary stage of the learning curve that we return to time and time again, especially when we feel a greater need for control. The fact is we have limited control, and easing up on the grip is a positive thing.

Food isn't just nourishment, especially for passionate sensual gals like us. This is a wonderful part of the human experience, not a bad thing. And the mind and body aren't separate; I believe the healing is simultaneous.

It wouldn't be healthy in a holistic sense to only eat for nourishment. Pleasurable eating is also healing, even when it causes a little gut disruption for a minute. I think what we're supposed to figure out post w30 is how to find the right balance for ourselves. Macadamia nuts probably shouldn't be an everyday thing for you. Maybe the pleasure you derived from them doesn't outweigh the distress they caused. But maybe one day when you're on a date at a fabulous restaurant with someone you really connect with and he offers to share a dish that has some macadamia in it, you'll go for it, and maybe not even obsess over it, because you'll know that 1) perhaps your night's sleep will be disrupted by hot sex anyway, and 2) you now have the tools to get right back to eating in a way that balances everything within a day or two.

To me this is both physical and mental healing. And we're capable of both, regardless of how many years we've struggled with weight and negative voices in our heads.

Though I'm learning over and over again that, like everything else in this world, healing is fluid and changing. There is no BOOM I'm healed and done with all this mess. That's what I've been seeking, but I've been brought back time and again to the fact that the seeking, the exploring, the journey with all its obstacles IS the healing. There isn't an end point, though we may shift the spirit and style of how we do it from walking, crawling, dancing, biking, even lying down on that path.

I walked El Camino de Santiago in 2000 with my ballet mistress best friend. It was one of the hardest, most intense and also sensuous experiences of my life. The life lessons were in our faces every single day. It gave me a wonderful metaphor for the rest of my life. I'm excited that you're going to embark on it for yourself. I think you'll realize that in oh so many ways, you've been on the path for a very long time.

But when it's about "mind healing" it's a tougher nut to crack.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I would agree! Those "happy foods" are something that I miss when I am upset or irritated because they made me happy! DUH!  That happiness only lasted for a minute or two, and yet I still remember the feeling of relief. Which makes me know that this is NOT a good thing because the happiness went away and I was still left with the thing that made me upset or irritated! Those foods will maybe be a part of my life again if I can enjoy them in a "mind healthy" way. If not, I am grateful for all of the yummy food that I have learned to enjoy now. Thanks for the post, it helps me to know that there are others who are in a similar spot in their process. 

You are a cool chick, Calee, and I am glad to be on this journey with you!  :)

Dear, sweet Calee, I heart you so much! And I relate to this so much while also giving credit and reverence to you and your journey that's been longer than mine.

When I'm feeling balanced I can remember that binary thinking always gets us into trouble, though it's a normal and necessary stage of the learning curve that we return to time and time again, especially when we feel a greater need for control. The fact is we have limited control, and easing up on the grip is a positive thing.

Food isn't just nourishment, especially for passionate sensual gals like us. This is a wonderful part of the human experience, not a bad thing. And the mind and body aren't separate; I believe the healing is simultaneous.

It wouldn't be healthy in a holistic sense to only eat for nourishment. Pleasurable eating is also healing, even when it causes a little gut disruption for a minute. I think what we're supposed to figure out post w30 is how to find the right balance for ourselves. Macadamia nuts probably shouldn't be an everyday thing for you. Maybe the pleasure you derived from them doesn't outweigh the distress they caused. But maybe one day when you're on a date at a fabulous restaurant with someone you really connect with and he offers to share a dish that has some macadamia in it, you'll go for it, and maybe not even obsess over it, because you'll know that 1) perhaps your night's sleep will be disrupted by hot sex anyway, and 2) you now have the tools to get right back to eating in a way that balances everything within a day or two.

To me this is both physical and mental healing. And we're capable of both, regardless of how many years we've struggled with weight and negative voices in our heads.

Though I'm learning over and over again that, like everything else in this world, healing is fluid and changing. There is no BOOM I'm healed and done with all this mess. That's what I've been seeking, but I've been brought back time and again to the fact that the seeking, the exploring, the journey with all its obstacles IS the healing. There isn't an end point, though we may shift the spirit and style of how we do it from walking, crawling, dancing, biking, even lying down on that path.

I walked El Camino de Santiago in 2000 with my ballet mistress best friend. It was one of the hardest, most intense and also sensuous experiences of my life. The life lessons were in our faces every single day. It gave me a wonderful metaphor for the rest of my life. I'm excited that you're going to embark on it for yourself. I think you'll realize that in oh so many ways, you've been on the path for a very long time.

LadyM, you are a goddess. I want to read your response over nd over when I'm not dressing for my date. The first read, all I can remember is "hot sex" and that you walked the Camino! Did you walk all 500 miles? My intense and most sensuous experience. My son and I plan to walk together. He knows the rel me, inside and out. We share our lives from afar and travel when we can. He really wants to do this together. It's exciting and a bit daunting. Okay very daunting to think about doing it. Lydia B Smith just made the most incredible documentary, Six Ways to Santiago. It's brilliant. She has a Facebook page, I think Camino the Documentary. We got to spend a weekend partying with her at the Palm Springs Doc film festival in April.

Healing is fluid and yes, I'm certain I'm more healed than I give myself credit for. Of course I will eat things like Mac nuts in situations where it makes sense. In fact now that I'm not AIP, I have a few nuts in my bag in case I get into a sticky food situation today while out all day. I too love the sensuality of food and hope for a lifetime of chances to enjoy. I think that for me, it's about finding the balance between nourishment and off roading done in a smart planned way.

I am so appreciative of your response. I'm sure I'll rea it many more times and glean other gems.

But when it's about "mind healing" it's a tougher nut to crack.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I would agree! Those "happy foods" are something that I miss when I am upset or irritated because they made me happy! DUH!  That happiness only lasted for a minute or two, and yet I still remember the feeling of relief. Which makes me know that this is NOT a good thing because the happiness went away and I was still left with the thing that made me upset or irritated! Those foods will maybe be a part of my life again if I can enjoy them in a "mind healthy" way. If not, I am grateful for all of the yummy food that I have learned to enjoy now. Thanks for the post, it helps me to know that there are others who are in a similar spot in their process. 

You are a cool chick, Calee, and I am glad to be on this journey with you!  :)

Cool chick? I needed that today so thank you! This morning I woke up and decided not to post so much. I figured I was a pain in th ass to all you young cool chicks! So thank you for alleviating that discomfort.

Yes, neither of us is alone on this journey. I think that's the comfort of a forum like this. Finding similarities while also learning how others traverse th path.

Mindful. That's the word I will keep close today as I go out to play. I want a mindful day. And maybe some hot sex! Ok probably not gonna happen. :)

Mindful. That's the word I will keep close today as I go out to play. I want a mindful day. And maybe some hot sex! Ok probably not gonna happen. :)

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hey, Sister ... you never know! {wink,wink}  

post-23109-0-22244900-1370826231_thumb.j

This is the jean jacket I've wanted for years. I bought it for myself as a gift for completing the first 30 days of my WholeWhatever. I actually like how I look in it!

I've never posted a pic from iPhone so clue less how it will attach.

Calee you look great!  The jacket really suits you and are those your skinny jeans?  Because skinny is definitely the word here :)

Why thank you young lady. Nope, not my skinny jeans. I'm making myself look at the pic as if it were someone else, and see that I'm curvy, not fat!

Well from my "someone else" perspective, I look at that photo and see a beautiful smile, lovely slim shoulders and little stems for legs.

Super cereal.  (No grains though).  We're so tough on ourselves aren't we?  Body dysmorphia (spelling?) is a very real thing.

Well from my "someone else" perspective, I look at that photo and see a beautiful smile, lovely slim shoulders and little stems for legs.

Super cereal.  (No grains though).  We're so tough on ourselves aren't we?  Body dysmorphia (spelling?) is a very real thing.

I might have to cry right about now. Thank you Sophie! And yes, we are ridiculously hardon ourselves!

Now about that super cereal.......?

Yup, super cereal and mince were my two words today.

I had a good day. Had a bit of meat and veggie for breakfast. A decaf, a tea and 1/2 bottle of Kombucha. Went to the art museum in the city with guy. Saw a great photography exhibit by a journalist who was imbedded in Iraq. Difficult to say it was great because it was pictures of devastation. Had lunch in the Cef. I had pork and salad. I wasn't sure how they prepared the pork and I wasn't very hungry, so I had a few bites and had it packed up for guy's lunch tomorrow. The greens in the salad were fabulous and fresh. Still wasn't hungry at dinner. 1 pork rib and a bit of arugula. Then I had 1/2 of a small sweet potato. I was afraid I wouldn't sleep well on an empty stomach.

Breakfast an lunch is packed for tomorrow. Unlike the aversion I'm feeling towards beef, I am very excited to get n egg yolk in my lunch salad tomorrow! Can't wait. I hope the color of the yolk is a deep gorgeous orange. Can you tell I'm having a 40 day egg withdrawal? :)

I signed up for 5 classes at the studio this week. I really really really want to tone my arms. These are the most difficult I've ever taken. I won't give up!

I'm still not drinking enough fluids. Will work on it.

Nitey night.

• Moderators

You are HOTTTT, Calee. Love the new jean jacket. I think I have the same one!

And can I just say that it cracks me up how many gifts you've bought yourself for completing the W30? I love it!

Treat yo'self, that's what I say. If you don't, who will?

You are HOTTTT, Calee. Love the new jean jacket. I think I have the same one!

And can I just say that it cracks me up how many gifts you've bought yourself for completing the W30? I love it!

Treat yo'self, that's what I say. If you don't, who will?

Haha! Oh yes to gifts! If there's not a guy around I have to do it myself. Darn skippy, a new jacket nd enough exercise classes to make me look good in it. Winning combo.

I keep hearing we eat well to look good in clothes. We workout to look good naked. :)

Day 41: feels like a NASA mission counting the days. I crashed early last night. I find myself often getting 7 hours of sleep now. But waking at 5 means I need to be asleep at 10 which means 9:30 if I'm going to read. I'm having to adjust getting in bed between 10 and 11. Also trying less iPad in bed and just reading on the kindle which puts me to sleep faster. This is all a result of this Whole. I didn't start seeing results, ie having the willingness to make changes until late in the first 30. 1/4 ambien has been rare, like maybe2x in the last 3 weeks. This is real progress on a major healing issue.

Oh precious free range, organic, local eggs, how I've missed you! Forty days we've been separated. I'm so happy that you delightful little yolks and I will be reunited at lunch today. I can just imagine how you'll mix with that EVOO to give that fresh butter lettuce a wonderful flavor. I made a special stop at the farmers market to have the freshest possible lettuce. Lunch just can't come too soon today!

Dinner out with friends tonight. Off road doesn't even really occur to me. Nothing special enough in the situation to consider it. There's always a salad to be had and I can always eat some meat t home if none is suitable for me.

Simple bites:

1. Smoked duck sausage link. Hope I like it. Taking a chicken thigh in case. Sautéed cabbage, Kombucha

2. Big ass salad. Chicken thigh.

3. Dunno

Walk to work and back. No class until Barre tomorrow night.

It's raining. I've been in California since 1982, never seen rain in June. Strange. Yesterday was freezing here.

Archived