• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woof woof, I'm exhausted tonight. Work, walk, Barre class, cook dinner, try to catch up here a bit. Exhausted!

Ate on AIP template. Testing beef tonight for the first time in 35 days. So far, great. No bloat or tummy ache. I'm hoping this is a good sign.

I do have to admit, I loved ground beef in the past. This GF ground beef doesn't taste very good to me. I cooked up a pound, ate 4oz to test how I feel. As far as taste, Meh. Take it or leave it.

My digestion is a bit sluggish. I think I'm not drinking enough fluids. I'll try harder tomorrow.

Hoping for a good muscle recovery tonight. My tushie and inner thighs are aching from Barre workout. Tomorrow night is Pilates Reformer, but I think this will be a Less intense class than the last two.

Sweet dreams!

• Moderators

Isn't feeling sore the best?

It's funny that I never like ground meat of any kind until the past few weeks when I started relying on it. Now I love its versatility, easy measurability, and how simple it makes my one-skillet meals. It took me a while to start experimenting well with herbs, spices, flavorings. The important thing is figuring out whether or not you're still sensitive to it. I imagine your body and its desires have changed A LOT (and for the better, I might add) in the past 20 years!

Day 36: funky Internet so on iPhone. Hands a bit inflamed this morning but my entire body is aching from classes this week. Aching in a good way though. You're right LadyM, it feels good to use my body.

So beef. Am I inflamed from that or that yesterday I cut my HTZ pill in half? I didn't realize until this morning that I did both things at the same time. HTZ is a script diuretic that I've been on way too long for blood pressure. I want off it before I see my doc next month so we can discuss. Losing 100 pounds lowered my BP. I shouldn't need it anymore.

My tummy is fine, no bloat or anything, just overall puffy.

Need to go shower so I can get the chicken broth out if the crotchpot before work this morning.

Bites will be AIP compliant. Reformer class at 6 tonight. I'm tired!!

Fun day to anyone popping in to say hello. :)

Ugh!  I hate when I do that - combine two things and don't know which caused what.  I have done that too many times.  I would guess your hands are due to cutting the meds, but who knows. 

I don't really like the taste of meat much so I can't tell the difference between conventional and grass fed beef.  Both taste like meat.  My husband, though, prefers conventional.  He thinks grass fed doesn't taste as good.  Luckily, he's willing to suffer and go along with my happy cow desires, though. And happy pig and happy chicken and happy salmon.  Poor guy!  His meat hating wife fills the freezer with meat and cooks it every night.  I guess I shouldn't feel bad for him. :P

His meat hating wife fills the freezer with meat and cooks it every night.  I guess I shouldn't feel bad for him. :P

Hee hee, sometimes I feel guilty that my husband has been forced to eat with no added sugar, dairy and whatnot without consultation but then I remember that I do all the planning, shopping and cooking, and that he loves eating meat, and the guilty feeling goes away pretty quickly!

With no tummy issues calee, I'd be inclined to think it's the meds, but that's just a hunch really.  Maybe give it a few days and hopefully the swelling will subside as you get used to a lower dose and then you could try again?

Ohoh I've missed quite a bit of your log here :) 

Glad that you feel the joy of movement. Please, remember not to push too hard because the deal with the new gym is limited in time. No one needs a sore cortisol party. Take lots of rest to let your body to recover. Some gentle 10 minute yoga in the morning/evening will help too. Tell me everything about Barre class! If that's a lot of cardio that's not really good. Is it a dancing class or ballet inspired moves? Excited to hear. 

Sorry for the kale thing. I massage it and sautee forever in order to bring the sweetness out. 

Ohoh I've missed quite a bit of your log here :)

Tell me everything about Barre class! If that's a lot of cardio that's not really good. Is it a dancing class or ballet inspired moves? Excited to hear. 

It was an aerobic class.  apparently all of the classes are on steroid at this gym.  We did 15 minutes cardio with weights, the 30 minutes slow barre work which was great, then a cool down with yoga type stretching.  I've never had a Barre class so will be curious to see how it compares to the studio across the street where I'll be for the month of July.

Tonight is reformer class, tomorrow a hike, Friday might be a rest day as Saturday is back to reformer class.  I didn't feel like a ballerina, but I did enjoy how I looked in the mirror!  Now if I could just get more flexible I'll be happy.

I spoke too soon this morning!  As soon as I got out of the shower I was doubled over with stomach cramps.  Had wicked diahrea, still can't spell it.  I thought I was ok until my 3/4 mile to work turned into a mediation to make it to the work potty.  More of the same ensued.  I'm glad I put that beef in the freezer before leaving home this morning because it's not going back in me for a little while.  Interesting because beef used to constipate me.  Not today!

Very interesting observation.  The inflamation left my hands as soon as my body released.  It was like it all released at the same time.

Not feeling very meaty this morning for breakfast.  I'm going easy with some sweet potato when it sounds appealing.

Kudos to the partners who put up with Whole 30 just to be good partners, or just to be fed.  :)

Oh Calee, sorry to hear about the digestive reaction!  I hope it settles quickly.

Allan has actually been enjoying the Paleo dinners on the weekends.  During the week, when I'm feeding the kids too, there's usually a grain/potato on offer as well, and he definitely still likes that.  And his snacks are definitely non-compliant!   :lol:

Thanks Terresa! I'm glad Allan is getting with the program! :)

My day got worse. Hurried home from work because I told a friend I'd walk the 5k lake before going to Pilates tonight.

Came home stripped, hurled, brushed, dressed and ran out the door.

20 minute break then off to Pilates.

I've eated 1 sweet potato, 2 oz chicken, a few bites of watermelon and tea today.

Tonight is definitely chicken broth for dinner. So happy I made it yesterday. Don't know if this is beef reaction. If so, yuck!

On to fun meats in the coming weeks. Just need to get creative.

Aw. I'm so sorry you are sick and that you suspect the beef. It does seem like a likely culprit. Though maybe a stomach flu? I agree with Nadia on taking it easy. I always tend to get all gung-ho when I start moving (or have a time limit) and then I invariably hurt my knee or back and have to rehab and lay off for days. I'm glad you are enjoying it though.

Oh no!  Or "aw nu" as we like to say when we're feeling super kiwi.  I was going to say "what a bummer" but thought it might strike a little too close to home.  You're such a trooper carrying on with that exercise when your tummy and guts were going beserk!  You know you're allowed to take it easy sometimes, yeah?  Hope you are feeling better now.  Gentle gentle food for your poor tummy.

Day 37:

Thank you everyone for commisserating with me about the beef!  I feel good this morning except for my aching thighs, which has everything to do with last nights workout and nothing to do with beef!

Funny happening this morning which I loved!  As I was leaving this morning, I said Good Morning!  When the night doorman turns around and sees that it's me he's always got a special Good Morning Ma'am for me.  I've never had more of a conversation than have a great day with him.  He's always a bit discheveled because he's been on duty all night.  And he can be a bit difficult to understand with his thick carribean accent.  This morning he said something and I wasn't quite sure I heard him correctly, so I said, Pardon me?  He grinned ear to ear gave me the thumbs up and said "you look great in your pants Ma'am!".   It was so funny for a first conversation of more than have a great day as I breeze past out the front door to walk to work.  I do have to say, they size 6 skinny jeans are not so skinny around the waist this morning.  Perhaps yesterday's fiasco was good for my waistline.

My hands are swollen this morning.  I'm not surprised as this is how I react coming off the HTZ.  That's why I'm taking 1/2 dose and tapering off it.

Keeping bites simple today and will be AIP compliant.

NO GYM!  I'm taking today and tomorrow off from the gym.  I have a lovely 90 minute walk in the woods after work tonight planned with my best friend.  That and walking to work and back will give me around 5 miles walking today.  Tomorrow I'm walking with another friend so I cancelled the 6am pilates.  I'm back in the gym on Saturday morning.

Spending Sunday in Golden Gate park with the new guy I'm maybe dating.  Up to me it seems at this point. I like that he has a sense of humor and doesn't try to talk me into things that he wants to eat.

Very fun to get a compliment first thing in the morning. 

Walk in the woods does sound lovely!  I will get a short walk around a lake at lunch, but that's it.  I'll be watching soccer tonight, but plan a good workout for the morning! 

Enjoy your date on Sunday!!!!

Hiiiigh five for awesome doorman compliment.  That's so lovely.  I bet you strutted just a little bit after that.  (I would have).

PS: Yus!  Eat those sardines.  I didn't love them at first but they totally grew on me.  Think of all the omega 3 :D

I will need to remember Mr. Smilie at Xmas time. :). Yup, his name is Mr. Smilie.

I had a realization today. This template is becoming old hat, so to speak. Things have settled into a sameness. Quite a routine. I think that the yuck beef set me back mentally/emotionally. I felt like I had an instant aversion to everything. I've eaten a lot of fruit yesterday and today. Tomorrow I have to jump back into meat and veggies before I get derailed and off plan. Day 37, maybe this is where I always want to have a mini cheat? Dunno but I have to stay the course. Maybe it's easier if we con into this sick. I came in with some inflammation and. Desire to drop 5 pounds. Both achieved during the first 30. Oh wait, lest I forget the sleep issues. I haven't had my 1/4 of an ambien at bedtime for weeks.

I twisted my ankle on a rock tonight. I had a friends dog on a leash and got twisted for a moment. Of course it's the ankle that was broken in 2007 and had a big surgical repair in 2008.

Friday goal: more protein and veggies. Less fruit. No gym. Not too much walking.

Day 38: I feel good.  A little hand inflamation.  I've figured out that I wasn't inflamed last year when I was unemployed.  I was hiking 30-40 miles a week, eating good with lots of eggs and beef.  Sometimes the rough red patch by my nose, but so small nobody noticed, even when I mentioned it.  I realized last night that this year I'm sitting at a computer typing 8 hours a day.  Also, my right hand is the more inflamed of the two.  Most of the time just a tad stiff in the morning.  I haven't worked in accounting for 20 years so haven't used a 10 key in all this time.  My fingers fly on it but I bet that's causing a bit of morning irritation to my joints.  My body isn't bloated anywhere.  And other than my slump around day 16, and my reaction to beef(?) this week, I've felt good and energetic.  My sleep is healing.  This morning I slept through the alarm which is novel for me.

I really miss eggs.  It's been over 40 days since I had one.  I miss the yolks most.  I smash it with EVOO for a salad dressing and it's creamy and yummy to me.  I'd like to test them soon.  Maybe I'll get some organic eggs next time I'm in Whole Foods and give them a try.

I'm over my restlessness of last night.  Happy to be on template with no desire to stray this morning.

Going to a food truck, open air music event tonight.  Not sure who's playing but the theme is world music.  Should be fun.  Love that it's a 5k walk by the lake to get there and back.  My ankle feels fine this morning but other than walking to work and then tonight, no other exercise.  Body rest day.  I'm going to try to fit in a pedi after work.  I need a little pampering.

Zach leaves for Berlin for 3 months next Friday.  Last night we were scheming my meeting him there for the last two weeks before he has to leave the EU.  I'm ready for a fun family bonding trip.  Something to look forward to.  Going to all new countries this time.  Probably Germany, Czec Republic and Poland.  I'll be plying Nadia for tips later this summer.  My only Eastern Europe experience was Russia a few years ago.  I love adding countries to my list of "been there's".

Happy Friday!  :)

Omg calee, sounds like you might be onto something with the inflammation!  Now, how to test that out?  I guess time off would be the only way, wouldn't it?

I think you should go for the eggs.  Can't wait to hear how they go.

I love pedis ...  I think it's my favourite indulgence.  Haven't had one in ages though - might be time soon!  Enjoy :)

Ooh, how exciting to be planning that trip!  I love ticking places off as well  ;)

Pedi was fabulous. My feet are one part of my body that always make me smile. I have small feet with little stubby toes. They're cute all painted red. The gal who does my toes spends over an hour and gives my legs a great massage. I spent the entire time texting with new guy. That was fun. I needed to smile.

I'm exhasted. Combo of all these workouts I did this week as well as my beef episode and straying from template. For three days I was cherry and sweet potato heavy and veggie light. Correcting that immediately. I feel slumpy and that just isn't acceptable. I cancelled dinner p,ans tonight. My turned ankle needed rest instead of more walking. I needed to get in jammies at 7 and chill. Tomorrow morning is Pilates, again! It's difficult for me. The 20 and 30somrthings have great balance. I don't and this studio does a lot of standing on the reformer. I get that this is how I will improve, but it makes me wanna cry and I feel tired and vulnerable.

Vulnerable. That's it! When I'm so challenged I'm not in control, I like being in control. Sigh... But then I don't learn as much and I miss out on things.

Ok, off to watch the pilot of Arrested Development. I need to see what everyone is so nuts over. :). Happy weekend!

Day 39- June 8th: Slept almost 8 hours. I was completely physically exhausted last night. I put in my earplugs and fell soundly asleep. Up once to P then immediately back to sleep. Glanced at the clock at 5:15, usual wake up time, and fell back asleep for another hour.

Pilates class at 10 followed by grocery shopping and kitchen cleaning. It's going to be 84 so perhaps a late afternoon movie. No air con so movies are a great heat escape.

I've decided I want to test egg yolks, so while sticking to W30, I guess I'm coming off AIP. I'm 39 days off nightshades so think perhaps I will test peppers after egg yolks. I will leave time to determine reactions.

The only thing I know for certain is that I will eat less fruit and more veggies this week. I guess I might have a bit of natural sugar withdrawal this week.

My favorite food right now is chicken bone broth. I also love turkey neck bone broth. Maybe I'll get some for the crockpot today. I love how tender the meat gets. I just add Himalayan pink salt to the cup when I drink it.

Date tomorrow. Looking forward to discovering more about this guy. Like his sense of humor.

Happy Saturday!

Archived