Dry Hamburgers

wannabepaleo

Salt and pepper here too. I cook mine on the stovetop. I heat the pan high, place burger in pan, COVER, cook for 4 mins or so, flip then cook covered for another 3 mins or so. I think the lid helps! I cook to pink in middle.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm from Canada where I have been taught any pink in burgers is an absolute no-no, but I do suspect that is part of the reason they don't turn out well. It is also very hard to find anything other than "lean" or "extra lean" here. Maybe I should grind my own...

It is also very hard to find anything other than "lean" or "extra lean" here. Maybe I should grind my own...

I make some yummy pork patties/burgers and I add salt, pepper, nutmeg & sage. They turned out dry the first few times I made them (lean meat?) but then I tried adding some finely diced pork belly (about 2/3 mince, 1/3 belly) to the mix and they turned out beautifully!

Perhaps the same kind of thing would work with beef?

A butcher near me sells a pastured beef/bacon mix. That makes an amazing burger, so I'd think pork belly would work the same.

I used to add sautéed onions, spices, Worcester sauce, bleu cheese in the middle, etc. But with nice beef salt (or, better, smoked salt) is plenty fine. I also do cast iron pan or a cast iron griddle/grill thing that goes over two burners. I pefer the griddle but it's heavy. I don't bust it out unless I'm making burgers for the whole fam.

And, sure, a well-done burger is not going to be tender!

• 2 weeks later...

My kids hate burgers plain (salt and pepper obviously), so I started seasoning them with s&p, an egg, and some sort of spice mixture.  Usually the smoked chicken seasoning from the Make it Paleo book.  At the end of the day though, you need at least 80/20 beef and cook it no more than medium.  We like ours rare.  :)

Weber makes a Natural line of seasonings now with no chemicals that you can do as well.

I use lean ground beef and mine aren't dry either. I always mix in 1 whole egg per pound of meat as well as finely chopped onion. Spices vary based on what I feel like that day.

If I fry them in a pan, I use a little olive oil. If we do them on the BBQ, we grease up the grill a bit with olive oil (paper towel dipped in olive oil and held carefully with tongs!). Also they hold together on the grill better if they are frozen or semi-frozen. Not putting bread crumbs in burgers does make them less cohesive. :) We always cook to well done (Canadian!).

• 4 weeks later...

When you're cooking them, don't press down on the with a spatula. Remember that they'll continue to cook for a few moments after you remove them from the grill or pan so be sure to allow them to rest for about 5 minutes before you serve them.

Adding ground pork to the beef will increase the juiciness factor.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm from Canada where I have been taught any pink in burgers is an absolute no-no, but I do suspect that is part of the reason they don't turn out well. It is also very hard to find anything other than "lean" or "extra lean" here. Maybe I should grind my own...

I always make my own mince by putting steaks in the food processor - I feel fine cooking these medium/rare as the meat is fresh, and I'd have no issue cooking the whole steak like that! I think mince you buy may be more susceptible to bacteria etc so would need to be cooked through?

• 1 month later...

Archived