Big Sleep Issues

Good morning, everyone! I really need help figuring out why my sleep has actually gotten much worse since starting the W30 (today is day 25). I've been compliant to the max. I've used the template for all my meals, have not snacked but a few times during this time, my last meal is around 6:30PM, only drink 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning (same as I've always had) and drink water or decaf tea the rest of the day. Yet. the lack of sleep is wearing me down. :(

I can't sleep more than 2-3 hrs without waking up (really waking up!). I'm not sleeping more than 5 hrs total per night. Last night I went to bed at 10:00PM, woke up at 12:00AM, woke up again at 1:30AM and then got up at 4:00AM for crossfit. I feel horrible during the day.

What am I doing wrong? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Claudia

Even just taking an Epsom Salt bath can help your magnesium levels. The body is better at absorbing it through the skin than the digestive tract. There are magnesium lotions out there too, and recipes to make your own, but I prefer the relaxation of the bath.

• Moderators

A lot of things impact sleep. Your problem might not be what you are eating. That said, you might need to eat more starchy carbs if they are not well represented in your diet.

My sleep improved dramatically when I did my first Whole30, but after several years of good sleep, mine got bad again. I don't eat as many sweet potatoes as I did, so that might be contributing to my issue. About 6 months ago, I added 5mg of timed release melatonin to my bed time ritual of drinking some Natural Calm. Things have improved since then, but still are not good. On the other hand, my parents both belong in hospice and two of my best friends are undergoing treatment for cancer and not doing well. My wife, who refuses to do a Whole30, has developed symptoms of arthritis and asthma. I left the church I was active in for 10 years. I had to have hernia surgery and had my third shoulder injury. I am not aware of how all these things are bothering my sleep, but I am pretty sure I would sleep better if everyone in my life were healthy.

Hi, guys. Thanks for all the comments. I want to clarify that I have no problem falling asleep. If I went to bed ealier, it wouldn't help. I'd still wake up a couple of hours later. I have problems staying asleep. As far as the supplements, I haven't tried it, but honestly, why would I need supplements to do something as natural as sleeping when I am eating well, exercising, etc.? I also don't think I have any issues pressing on my mind at the time (besides getting in shape).

Starch insufficience might be a possibility. How is that related to sleep? Through insulin?

Here's an example of my food for a day (I eat pretty much the same thing every day, just change proteins):

Pre-wo (4:30AM) - 1 Hard Boiled Egg / Mayo

Post-wo (Meal 1) - Sautéed Spinach, mushrooms, turkey sausage, 2 eggs in EVOO, coffee with 2 tbsp of coconut milk.

Meal 2 - Spring Mix Salad with all kinds of raw veggies (carrots, tomatoes, mushrooms), some kind of meat/fish,  1/2 avocado or a tsp of mayo,

Meal 3 - Some kind of meat/fish, 1/2 sweet potato or 1 cup of butternut squash, green salad with EVOO and vinegar.

I also have not noticed any chance on my body composition or how my clothes are fitting, but that's a topic for another discussion. ;)

Thanks again, guys!

C.

Going to bed earlier will help because even if you wake up you will have more hours over which to sleep. Sleep is a huge part of body composition changes. I saw huge improvements in my ability to lose weight when I went from 4-6 hours of sleep to 7-9. I get up around 6 or 6:30 and I try to be in bed at 9:30 with lights out at 10.

Inability to stay asleep can be often traced to low magnesium or too low carbs. Your body uses the time asleep to rebalance everything. If it has to work hard to make carbohydrate to replenish your glycogen then it can wake you up. Magnesium also effects your bowel movements so that is another hint.

What about your sleeping environment? Is the room dark and quiet? Anything that could be waking you up?

"Starch insufficience might be a possibility. How is that related to sleep? Through insulin?"

Absolutely carbohydrates are necessary in the process that is sleep. I wish I could copy and paste this flow chart, but please check it out. It shows the chemical flow from protein to melatonin (which regulates sleep). It's a very good display of how the hormonal process. However, the one thing it does not show is the the importance of the carbohydrates. Those lovely amino acids (L-tryptophan) and enzymes (5-HTP) cannot cross the blood brain barrier without the assistance of the presence of the carbohydrates. If those guys don't cross the blood brain barrier, the brain does not produce the seratonin which in turn does not lead to melatonin production.

You know that big thanksgiving meal that makes you need a nap? It wasn't the tryptophan in the turkey! You could eat turkey all day and without the presence of the carbohydrates (sugars) no nap is coming!

"why would I need supplements to do something as natural as sleeping when I am eating well, exercising, etc.?"

When our systems break down from years of poor diet, poor sleep, poor exercise, too much stress, and on and on....it takes a lot of time to rebuild. If you look at the chart I give the link for you see a flow. If at any one of the steps there is a clog, it messes up everything that goes from there down. Sleep and mood are greatly impacted by these hormonal processes.

Have you ever seen an area where fire has taken out the forest? Eventually, nature gets it all back. I live in an area where there are regularly held controlled burns in the forest, but there are also regularly held plantings of seedlings. If man never stepped on that charred ground eventually you would never know it was burned. However, it grows back, rebuilds far faster with a bit of assitance. You'd never know which forest was which when all was restored.

http://www.understand-andcure-anxietyattacks-panicattacks-depression.com/5-htp-Melatonin.html

• Moderators

Sleep is something that tends to degrade as we age. Old folks do not sleep like children. Sleep patterns change as we age. Instead of long, uninterrupted hours of sleep, we tend to sleep in shorter segments as we age. I read a book on sleep about 25 years ago for this information, so it is not cutting edge, but it fits with my own experience and what I know of many people.

Tom, I realized people sleep less and less as they get older but I did not know the quality of the sleep went downhill too. I just keep hearing people recommend 8 hrs of sleep a day and I'm wondering "how??". :)

Thank you Bethany and DocIKY. Very useful information!!! I slept much better last night; maybe because I was just so exhausted but I did make sure to eat more carbs too.

I'm very sure this is related to the way I am eating because it wasn't an issue 26 days ago. 

Thanks for the help, everyone!  

Claudia - I experience exactly the same sleep problem and I crossfit too, waking at 4am.  I was Paleo before starting W30, but I did indulge in lots of "paleo" desserts, which I've since cut out.  I'm certain that I was deficient in carbs - I would wake up every 2-3 hours, despite going to bed at 8pm.  At first I thought maybe it was age, or that my body needed less sleep on this diet, but like you said, it got very bad only after beginning the W30.  I've decided that it was lack of carbs.  I began eating a lot more squash - I could eat almost a whole butternut a day, acorn squash, spagetti, etc. I didn't care for too many sweet potatoes, although I ate those too.  I'm very fit, and don't need to lose weight - if anything I need to gain.  After a few days of this, my sleep improved.  Hope it helps you too.

clm

I don't remember seeing if you were in the over 40 club- could be perimenopause. I had never had sleep problems till about 45 or so. I could drink all manner of caffeine without difficulty. Now, no caffeine after 9 am and I follow all the sleep hygiene principles. I still take Ambien occas but lately I have noticed a much more significant "hangover" so I really need to get another option. I have tried Melatonin but it really made me crabby! Maybe I should try it again. I have started taking Natural calm as see little difference. I hope we both find a solution!

• 1 month later...

@JustClaudia: I know this is an old post, but I was wondering how you are feeling now.  I am on day 14 (woot!) of my first Whole30, and over the past week have been having the same sleep problems you describe.  I fall asleep fine, but I can't stay asleep.  I wake up without an alarm, but still tired!  I have been getting between 7 and 7.5 hours (I know I shouldn't complain), but feel best on 8-9 (which I had no problem getting pre-Whole30).  So I feel groggy and run-down all day.  I wasn't eating much fruit or starchy veg for the first 11 days or so; I've added some fruit at breakfast and sweet potato/spaghetti squash at dinner.  Hoping that helps.  Also, when I wake up, it's usually cause I'm STARVING, even though I've been eating plenty (and haven't noticed any body comp changes).  The hunger prevents me from falling back to sleep, so I just get up and eat (a very early) breakfast.

I also find that taking a 5-HTP supplement at night, along with a melatonin and some Natural Calm, helps me get to sleep, but doesn't help me sleep in.

Would love to know if your symptoms subsided and what helped!

Archived