What if a Whole30-approved food is a trigger food for you?

I'm on day 12 of my first Whole30, and doing really well. But yesterday and today I noticed some snacking creeping back in, and it's on cashews, almonds, and coconut flakes (unsweetened). I'm not talking about large quantities- just a pinch here and there, but as you know it adds up. And I'm not liking the recurrence of the grazing that I thought I'd kicked. Should I just quick nuts for the remainder of my Whole30?

A lot of us had to. I no longer buy nuts, nut butters, dried fruit, frozen fruit...in fact,  hardly any fruit at all except apples because I don't get excited about them. If you feel like you are at all out of control, you should just stop buying them in my opinion. 

Thanks for the advice. My hubby LOVES cashews, so not having them in the house isn't an option. BUT he does have his own snack cabinet, and I have a strict rule to not eat anything in there. So the cashews will go in there from now on :) Interestingly I don't have the same issue with almonds, but eating cashews makes me overeat all nuts (if that makes sense). It's my gateway nut. ha ha

I've noticed I'm overdoing it on frozen mango too, so that goes for the remainder of my Whole30 as well. I'd rather think of anything really sweet (like mango) as a treat and not a daily food.

• 2 weeks later...

I am the same way with cashews and almond butter. I love them both. I stopped buying cashews and am staying far away from almond butter (unless I have a long workout). I honestly think the nuts are most of the reason why I haven't list weight. I'm not weighing myself, but my close are not looser. :-(

My sugar dragon is some three headed Game of Thrones nightmare, so I've elected to avoid any fruit servings the first 7 days. It has made the transition smoother for me thus far. I don't know if pistachios are compliant, but when I'm eating regular Paleo I have to be careful with those, and plantain chips.

Beachchica, I'm not safe around dates, especially if a spoonful of coconut butter just happens to fall inside them :D. They're one thing I now try to avoid. I also know what you mean about the mango. I'd never really eaten much mango but I gave up tomatoes and found a recipe for mango salsa but I found I like it a bit too much, when it reached the stage of why bother with the salsa, why not just eat the mango, I had to call a halt to that too. We just all have to find our own triggers and learn how to cope with the. I'm sure you'll do great, good luck

Nuts are my nemesis, once I start I just can't stop and I don't know why... when I actually concentrate on how they taste they're just not that exciting but they're soooo addictive. Also coconut cream... If I have leftover from a can I have to freeze it or I'll just eat the whole lot, sometimes poured over half a bag of coconut flakes for good measure :blink:  For me it's nut butter in a different outfit. Whole30/paleo or not, calorie dense foods like high-fat nuts and high-sugar dried fruits are hugely rewarding, so if you find them just a little bit TOO rewarding, best to not keep them in the house :)

I have the same problem!!!  Nuts and seeds!  They are just too easy to grab and munch.  And yes, especially cashews. I have decided not to buy nuts or seeds of any kind any longer.

As far as fruit goes, I have been able to control it by eating it with a meal.  I LOVE frozen mango and pineapple, but make sure I limit it and not eat it alone.  Not willing to give up fresh berries, either. 

It's just those doggone nuts that drive me nutty!!

I've had the same problem the past two days (days 9 &10).  I have been grazing on almonds like crazy.  :(  I know that doesn't contribute to overall success.  I believe that I need to restrict nuts altogether.  However, when it comes to fruit, I can be satisfied with a 1/2 cup of blueberries or blackberries. Would planning a couple of days weekly to eat a low-GI fruit with a meal be okay?

I've had the same problem the past two days (days 9 &10). I have been grazing on almonds like crazy. :( I know that doesn't contribute to overall success. I believe that I need to restrict nuts altogether. However, when it comes to fruit, I can be satisfied with a 1/2 cup of blueberries or blackberries. Would planning a couple of days weekly to eat a low-GI fruit with a meal be okay?

We have fruit with 1-2 meals a day. It's not part of a meal, but we eat it straight after. I haven't felt the need to eat it at any other time, and I love fruit!

I haven't had an issue with nuts, we have some in the pantry/freezer, but I just haven't felt the need to eat them. I've used almond butter twice to make a dressing, but that's it!

I've had the same problem the past two days (days 9 &10).  I have been grazing on almonds like crazy.  :(  I know that doesn't contribute to overall success.  I believe that I need to restrict nuts altogether.  However, when it comes to fruit, I can be satisfied with a 1/2 cup of blueberries or blackberries. Would planning a couple of days weekly to eat a low-GI fruit with a meal be okay?

3dayevent- one of the moderators made a comment about fruit that I really liked and appreciated. She pointed out that it's summer, so a lot of fruits are in season now. You can definitely feel free to eat more fruit now and then eat less of it in the fall and winter when fewer fruits are in season. So eat those fresh berries and melons with no guilt! :)

• Moderators

Yep, for me it's macadamia nuts and especially nut butter. I didn't even LIKE almond butter before starting Whole30, but my taste buds changed and now it is CRACK.

I probably should be eating less caramelized coconut flakes (thank you Melissa J from WELL FED!) but as long as I make small batches, I'm ok.

Yep, for me it's macadamia nuts and especially nut butter. I didn't even LIKE almond butter before starting Whole30, but my taste buds changed and now it is CRACK.

LOL me too. I actually bought a huge jar of almond butter from Costco last year. When I got it home I finally read the label and saw that there was NO SUGAR...omg. I had one bite, said YUCK this is terrible, and threw the whole thing away! Once I tried it again this year, I was so mad at myself for throwing that thing away. But after I polished off an 11 or 12 oz container within 2 days...I figured it was probably for the best anyway.  B)

I have this problem with coconut butter! However, sweet potato is also a trigger for me. How much is too much? I think I already have an answer to that question, so should I avoid at all costs? Weirdly, squashes don't have the same hold over me which is good because they are delicious!

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated!

I have this problem with coconut butter! However, sweet potato is also a trigger for me. How much is too much? I think I already have an answer to that question, so should I avoid at all costs?

Hi, sweet potatoes are good for you. Personally I think they're delicious and I have them fairly regularly especially as we're quite limited with the squash we can get here. I'd hate to actually advise cutting out healthy foods. However any food that's a trigger needs to be treated with respect. Only you can decide if you need to actually avoid them or not. I know that's probably not very helpful but how do you feel if you don't have any? Can you eat a portion or does it leave you craving more? Good luck, I'm sure you'll work it out.

Hey Kirsteen,

Thanks for your reply. I notice if I make sweet potato chips in coconut oil (fries to you americans here!); or mashed with coconut butter then it's non stop until my tummy starts to hurt. So yes, I think that's my answer.

I feel fine if I don't have any, same as without eating other carbs, and I don't have the problem with other squashes so I'll stick to them.

Thanks again :)

J

I solved my nut problem. Turns out they were the culprit behind my frequent run-to-the-bathroom episodes. I've been nut-free for a few days and feel so much better. I love nuts, but they don't love me, so for the rest of my Whole30 (and probably longer) they are out. Incidentally, this helps tremendously with my snacking habit, since nuts were what I usually snacked on. So that's two problems solved! 

Archived