Sunbutter w/out sweetener?

hope4

I could not find any sunbutter around here (NJ) without some sort of sweetener in it... so frustrating because I really want to make the Pad Thai from Well Fed... so I ended up buying some organic raw sunflower seeds... do you think I just blend them into a butter?  I would assume that's how they get butter from nuts and seeds....

has anyone tried this?

does anyone have a recommendation for unsweetened sunbutter?

MaraNatha sunbutter is compliant: contains only sunflower seeds and sea salt.

Actually....some MaraNatha sunbutter is compliant, some is not. In my area I think it is the organic that is not sweetened/not organic that is sweetened? In any case: read the labels yourself at your store if you want to be sure.

I just made a batch out of organic raw seeds as well. I soaked them overnight, dried them out in the oven, then buzzed them in my Magic Bullet until they turned into butter. It takes a little while for the oil to start coming out, but besides a bit of time, it's not too hard and the taste is pretty comparable to the store-bought.

• 3 months later...
Guest Wheat on Trial

Just wanted to dust this off on Maranatha brand - it does say contains sunflower seeds and sea salt, but it also says "May contain soy, peanuts, and tree nuts" - still ok?

Just an FYI....I found the organic Sunbutter w/out any sweeteners at Amazon.  I ordered several items there that I thought might be difficult to find locally, and when I compared prices, they were pretty much the same. (and I am not promoting Amazon....I just like having things delivered : )

I made my own sunbutter!  Very easy and economical, as long as you have a food processor that won't tire out.

This was helpful to me:

http://prudentbaby.com/2011/08/entertaining-food/how-to-make-sunbutter-the-best-sunflower-butter-recipe-2/

After a few minutes, you will think - gosh, I really need to add some oil.  The blogger above is right - you do not!  Keep going, keep going, and suddenly after 10 minutes - sunbutter!  With only one ingredient.  Sunflower seeds. (Which are very cheap at Trader Joes).

I made my own sunbutter!  Very easy and economical, as long as you have a food processor that won't tire out.

This was helpful to me:

http://prudentbaby.com/2011/08/entertaining-food/how-to-make-sunbutter-the-best-sunflower-butter-recipe-2/

After a few minutes, you will think - gosh, I really need to add some oil.  The blogger above is right - you do not!  Keep going, keep going, and suddenly after 10 minutes - sunbutter!  With only one ingredient.  Sunflower seeds. (Which are very cheap at Trader Joes).

Just to clarify, for this recipe to be Whole30 compliant, you'd need to omit the honey or any sweetener.

LisaAustin......the brand is actually just "Sunbutter" on Amazon. When you search for it, because they sell a few of this brand, it's the only one that is organic, and the only one that has no added sugar. The only ingredient is roasted organic sunflower seeds, hope this helps!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived