Sara's Post W30

SaraRuns

sorry about the freezing office.  Our heat was off from 3pm Monday - noon yesterday.  So it was 45 in here yesterday morning.  I chickened out and went home to work.  Your second meal yesterday sounds like a good cold-weather meal :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Emma, I'm getting stuff done.  I have a deadline tomorrow I need to meet.  Why am I on here procrastinating?

dmh - 45, yikes!  I'm glad you went home.  That's ridiculous.  My space heater got delivered late yesterday morning, just in time!  I'm loving soups/chilis right now!

I was very busy yesterday evening.  Picked up my son, made  his dinner, and got him eating.  Then I did a 3 mile run and my strength training routine.  Showered, started making my dinner, put my son to bed, and finally ate.  I went to bed not too long after that.  Today I'll try to get in another run.  I have to say that with this weather, I'm really enjoying the treadmill.

M1: Frittata, zucchini soup; coffee with HC

M2: Chocolate chili with avocado, mixed greens with O&V, cauliflower soup

M3: Burger with some parm cheese and mayo, mixed greens with O&V, bacon broccoli, tea with HC

Jen, I'll still run outside, but on a day like tomorrow when it will be at least in the 30s and when I can run in the daylight.

Yesterday was a busy day at work. I did another 3 miles on the treadmill.  I'm ready for the weekend!  First I have to get through getting some important information out, so I better get to it!

M1: Frittata, zucchini soup; coffee HC

M2: Chocolate chili; mixed greens with O&V, apple with almond butter

M3: Venison steak, mixed greens with O&V, some kind of fat, some other kind of veg, Smallest venison steak ever, so I had tuna and mushroom salad over mixed greens with O&V and bacon broccoli

I successfully got out what I needed to our CPA, wihoo!  I'm nervous about this year end, since this is a new job and its a big deal to get it done well, quickly, and efficiently.  I had a bad dream about it last night.  Also had a dream about some people from high school who I have not seen since high school.  Super strange.  But I've been sleeping like a rock, which I've been enjoying greatly.

I think I jinxed myself talking about running outside.  It was snowing quite steadily by the time I got back from taking my son to school.  As there are no sidewalks where I live, I didn't want to run outside with cars sliding around.  So another 3.5 on the treadmill and also a strength training workout.  That is two this week and more than I accomplished in the month of December!

It is almost 11:45 and I haven't eaten yet (just having my first cup of coffee as I type this out), I'm guessing it will be a two meal day, but I'll make sure to get in good nutrition on both.

M1: 3 eggs, 1 slice bacon, bacon broccoli, spinach; coffee with coconut oil & HC

M2: I'm trying a "paleo pizza" with peppers, mushrooms, and pepperoni, mixed greens with O&V (I'm excited to try out the pizza, we used to make homemade pizza almost every Friday, so I'd like to have something that would work, maybe every other Friday?  My son is having dinner at a friend's, so this is a good time to try it out.  I want to make sure it is good before giving it to him.  If he tries something new and doesn't like it, it can be hard to get him to try again.)

Whew, I'm chatty today... :rolleyes: 

The paleo pizza was a semi-success.  DH said he would eat it again, but didn't love it.  He said that he could really taste the almond flour.  I think I might need to find one that is a finer consistency (I use Bob's, but have heard it can be too coarse for a lot of recipes.  That's all they had at the grocery store, may have to try a health food store).  I thought it was really good.

I'm supposed to be at my newphews' birthday party, but I am waiting for the new TV to arrive.  If we weren't here for it today, we wouldn't have someone here until Friday to get it.  My husband has been looking at TVs for about 5 years now.  It is large and probably unnecessary, but he is excited and I'm excited for him.

Another day on the treadmill for me.  Rainy and foggy here.  I felt really rough today, so I only did 1.75 miles.  Ugh.  I wonder if it is adding in the strength training, I'm definitely sore.  Tomorrow it is supposed to be 35 and sunny around 8, so I will definitely be hitting the road for a good outside run, can't wait!

M1: HB eggs mixed with mayo and avo, bacon, mixed greens with O&V, coffee with coconut oil and butter (won't do this again, keep trying it and it just doesn't make me feel good, I'll stick with eating most of my calories  ;) )

M2: Chicken with avo and mixed greens with O&V

M3: probably none, since I haven't eaten again at 11:20.  I slept in and then worked out.  Just finished my first cup of coffee.

You can get Honeyville almond flour from Amazon. You could also probably whir what you already have through the food processor to make it finer before you use it. I've found that I really taste almond flour. I can't remember where I saw it but there is a cauliflower based pizza crust floating around out there. Maybe give that one a try?

Bethany - do you think an immersion blender would work?  My food processor is sooooo tiny.  I guess it might work in this case.  Thanks for the rec.  I should give the cauli one a try, the one I used had A LOT of cheese.  I like cheese and it seems like I'm tolerating it fine, but a cheese pizza on a cheese crust might be overdoing it a bit.

Finally got my run outside today!!!  Woot!  It wasn't sunny like it was supposed to be, but I'll take it.  It was very windy and I definitely felt the difference on the hills.  4.5 miles done!

DH left today for a work trip to Lake Tahoe, he'll be gone until late Thursday.  I'll be on single mom duty.  Plus a busy week at work getting ready for the CPA/auditors.

M1: Eggs with mushrooms, 3 pieces of bacon; coffee with HC

M2: Leftover slice of homemade pizza with pepperoni, mixed greens with O&V

M3: Chicken curry or tacos or something!!!  Ended up with taco meat with some cheese and sour cream, big bowl of mixed greens with O&V, cauliflower curry soup; handful of raspberries with cream, small handful of nuts

Thanks, dmh (Dave?)!  It will be fine, the worst part is that my son is devastated while my husband is gone.  We had tears last night and this morning.  The good news is that my son REALLY loves his father!   :wub:

I made cauliflower curry soup yesterday.  Yum!  I like the warm flavors, a nice change up from the other cauli soup I was doing.

Today is a rest day.  My son is taking a friend to Karate, which he is really excited about.  Busy day at the office, as noted above.  I better get to it...  but feel like procrastinating...

M1: Frittata with spinach and mushrooms, zucchini soup; coffee with HC

M2: Chicken salad, mixed greens with O&V, cauliflower curry soup; tea with HC

M3: Leftover pizza, mixed greens with O&V, another veg, depending on what I get at the store (need to run out at lunch!)

Thanks, dmh (Dave?)!  It will be fine, the worst part is that my son is devastated while my husband is gone.  We had tears last night and this morning.  The good news is that my son REALLY loves his father!   :wub:

Awesome.  :)  And it's Derek.  ;)  I probably should change my name or add to my signature. 

I don't think the immersion blender would work in making the flour more fine unless you have a food processor attachment. Sorry. It would probably make a proper mess in your kitchen though. ;) 

Good luck with the single parenting this week and good job getting in an outdoor run! It has been super windy and rainy here the last few days so I've not been outside to run and will probably dreadmill it today.

Not a good morning.  First, I forgot most of my breakfast, so soup only, no frittata.  Super busy at work, so I really don't have time to deal with: Then I found out that I did not use an approved supplier for continuing ed for a certification I have.  I may lose the cert.  :(  :angry:  :(   It was my own fault, I didn't realize they had moved to using only approved vendors in 2013.  It looks like I may be able to make up the continuing ed, but it will be an expense and time and I'm frustrated!  Moving on...

My son was MUCH better last night.  He had buddy night at Karate, so took his "best" friend.  They had a great time.  Son and husband were able to do a video chat last night and there were no tears, but I did have a surprise visitor during the night.

3 mile run and strength training are on the roster for tonight.  Hopefully I can get that done and still manage to get my son fed in a timely manner.

M1: Zucchini soup; coffee with HC

M2: ground beef and mayo (with some spinach and seasonings), curry cauliflower soup, mixed greens with O&V; tea with HC

M3: Chicken salad with avo and muchrooms over mixed greens with O&V, roasted broccoli (hopefully!); tea with CM

Derek - he is 7, hard to believe.

Managed to get in my strength training, but only 2.2 miles of running.  Not sure what my issue was, just wasn't feeling it.  And my goal for this year is to get the strength training in.  I know my running will get easier when it gets nicer outside.

Work, work, work - but I'm getting a lot done and I have two major components and then I'll be able to relax a little.  I should get them both done today.

M1: Frittata (remembered today!), curry cauliflower soup; coffee with HC

M2: Tuna salad with mushrooms over mixed greens with O&V, roasted broccoli; tea with HC

M3: Chicken salad with mushrooms over mixed greens with O&V, maybe roasted broccoli again?; tea with CMx2, closed handful of nuts

(I am trying to take a break from nuts (long after the suggestion to do so from Emily and Jen, better late than never).  I'll eat them in a recipe, but I am trying not to snack on them.  I was reverting to nightly snacking, always in the form of nuts.  What really bothered me was that I was eating them even when full.  My aim is to go without for a few weeks and then see if I can add them back as a treat.  They don't make me feel poorly, I just know that when I am eating them, it is not a good choice and really just prolonging a bad habit and a bad relationship with food.  I think I haven't had any for three days now and so far so good.)

Good call on the nuts. I had a similar realization early on in my paleo journey when I realized I was mindlessly eating cashews while watching tv.  :rolleyes:

I sometimes have trouble finishing my runs after strength training. Good job getting it in. The strength training will really pay off!

Emily - No improvements.  Although I did make an unpleasant discovery.  Large amounts of fresh mozzarella do not agree with me.  Holy bloating, gas, and other gastro issues, batman!  I have not noticed any issues with HC or smaller amounts of cheese.  Or maybe it was just the soft fresh cheese?  Every time I start to think things are getting better, my body lets me know that we are in this for the long haul.  Frustrating.

Bethany - I did portion out a serving, but still, eating when not hungry is not good.  Thanks for letting me know that, I was wondering what my problem was.  I knew that adding in the strength training might take a toll on my running, I just didn't know how much.

Yeah.  Nuts are one of those things for me too.  I was finding that I was eating almonds or walnuts or pecans as my fat source for every meal :(  I've been trying to make them once a day now.  And I'll weigh them to avoid overeating.  (I know...no weighing allowed).  I'm trying to stick to the "Best" suggestions from the ISWF shopping list instead of the "occasional" or "limit."  Trying to do more EVOO as dressing, and avocados.  Thinking of venturing into olives.  I've never been big on olives.  I've never sought them out, but if they were on a sandwich or salad I wouldn't pick them off.  Maybe it's time to discover them

Sorry for the rambling..

Derek - ramble away!  I do not like olives at all.  Love olive oil, but no olives.  I don't even like to eat things that olives have touched.

Avocados are great and can be added to lots of things.  They are great with eggs, chilis, tuna and chicken salads, burgers, etc.

And just remember, slow but steady on the improvements.  Moving forward is a good thing!

Those nuts are dangerous aren't they.  I bought some pecans and my husband, daughter and I just eat them by the handfuls.  When I stopped to assess how much we were ingesting, I was a bit floored and think weighing and measuring sometimes are a really good thing.

SaraRuns - We had a tiny food processor that was good for pesto, but useless for anything bigger.  The blade disappeared (maybe when we had a guest who might have thrown it out accidentally).  A new blade (including shipping to our area) was twenty bucks, but a new and bigger food processor was only 30 so we ordered a 7 cup or 8 cup - heck I don't have a clue, but it has that push bar to push foods in.  It is NICE!  I shredded sweet potatoes last night in minutes and clean up was a piece of cake.   It makes me actually look forward to making cauliflower rice which was such a long process before.  My point?  The bigger food processor works for us.

We also have an immersion blender that I bought twenty years ago and never used until this year.  It's great for mashing bananas and eggs for banana bread or banana cookies, but it's not worth any big investment.

What do you do for your strength training?  Now that I'm starting to get back on board in this exercise world, I realize I need to come up with some kind of plan! :)

Emily - No improvements.  Although I did make an unpleasant discovery.  Large amounts of fresh mozzarella do not agree with me.  Holy bloating, gas, and other gastro issues, batman!  I have not noticed any issues with HC or smaller amounts of cheese.  Or maybe it was just the soft fresh cheese?  Every time I start to think things are getting better, my body lets me know that we are in this for the long haul.  Frustrating.

Bethany - I did portion out a serving, but still, eating when not hungry is not good.  Thanks for letting me know that, I was wondering what my problem was.  I knew that adding in the strength training might take a toll on my running, I just didn't know how much.

I bought some fresh mozzarella snacking cheese in December and was noticing similar symptoms when I snacked on it a lot. I feel fine with raw cheddar though. Definitely good to note.

I try very hard to not run on my strength training days, especially as I usually do BodyPump or Boot Camp both of which also get my HR up. It can't always be avoided of course, but that is what has worked for me. If I do have to double dip I try and make it with a short easy paced run. 

Nuts are bad.  I eat too many and then my stomach is upset.  I still give in to temptation now and then, though. 

I never liked olives, but they've grown on me.  Now, I actually like them.  I added some to our zoodles last night and they added something that was sorely missing (must be the salt).

My digestion hasn't been the greatest lately, either.  It's so frustrating when you think you figure it out and then realize you still have no idea! 

So people say this a lot here and its probably true - if you see little or no pattern to your problems, then you probably have a compromised immune system and leaky gut syndrome. And if whole30 + enzymes + probiotics + bone broth + plenty of sleep isn't fixing that, then you need to just keep eliminating groups of things (ie FODMAPs, nightshades, autoimmune protocol, etc) until something clicks. But frankly, that is too hard for me. I know I need to do it but I just can't...it takes all the joy out of eating for me. 

Archived