Sara's Post W30

SaraRuns

Bethany - Keep warm, at least it is expected here in the NE.

Jen - I think I have finally made my peace with this winter, it will bring what it will bring.  Typically we don't have too much snow once we make it through February.  I do love seeing my son outside playing in the snow and it really knocks him out at bedtime.  :D

Two hour delay today with more snow and ice coming tonight.  I would imagine my son will be off again tomorrow.  On a brighter weather note, it is absolutely gorgeous out today.  The sun is shining, it is really cold and crisp, so everything is just about sparkling, and it was the heavier wet snow, so it is clinging to all the trees and shrubbery.  Really beautiful on my drive in to work today.  We ended up with about 11 inches.

I left work around noon yesterday, so fitting my workouts in was no problem.  I completed day 1 of week 5 of strength training, I'm really proud of myself for that.  No workouts planned today, but because of Jen's and Emma's log, maybe I'll spend a small amount of time planking...  Hair color tonight, I'm desperate for it.  Not sure when it happened, but grays are popping through like crazy!   :o   I'm too young for grays!

Bad day yesterday for nuts.  :angry:   I think I learned my lesson this time.  I way overdid it.  Just handful after handful.  I was hungry, but I can make better choices.  And when I  had some in front of the tv, it wasn't because I was hungry.  Today, I start again.

M1: Frittata, broccoli soup; coffee with HC

M2: Tuna salad with avo over mixed greens and O&V; tea with HC

M3: Mixed greens with O&V and roasted veggies, tea with HC

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

11 inches?  Wow.  I'm not much different than you in latitiude (I think, depending on where you are).  If the weather man is right, we are right on the line between snow and rain/mix for tonight's storm, so it could go either way.  10" of snow or just a bunch of freezing rain.  We will see.  I'm sure my son won't have school tomorrow ;)

Derek - we got a couple of inches of snow and a good thick layer of ice.  Schools are closed and DH and I are both working from home.

Working from home means getting my run in early.  Today was my first day of speed work (since I missed last week's).  It went well, a tempo run.  I'm going to do my long run for the weekend on whatever day I can get outside.  I usually do Sunday, but another storm is supposed to be coming in, so I may move it to Friday or Saturday.

ETA: I did 1:15 plank today.  On non-strength training days, I will try to do planks.

I stayed away from the nuts yesterday and felt much better because of it, I think.  Still fighting off this cold, I'm just hoping it stays in my head and doesn't move to my chest.

M1: Egg salad with homemade mayo over  mixed greens with avo and O&V, broccoli; coffee with HC

Snack: small handfuls of nuts  :(  (working from home leads to bad habits)

M2: Tuna salad or taco meat, not sure which, roasted broccoli, mixed greens with O&V; tea with HC

Jen - Apparently I cannot string two non-nuts days together.  Yesterday I was just hungry pretty much all day.  So if I'm hungry, I need to ear real food, not snack on nuts.

Derek - Thanks!  It was kind of exciting to do speed work (even if my speed work isn't so speedy).

Two hour delay for the kids and I am back at work today.  Just found out I have to come in to work for a few hours tomorrow for meetings.  I'm trying to figure out how to get my running in.  I might do my 5 miler tonight and take my running rest day tomorrow, but do my strength training tomorrow.  Then I would try to get my long run in on Saturday, before another storm comes on Sunday.

I need to wrap my head around my eating.  I'm focusing on it so much, but not eating in response to my body.  I don't really want to do another W30, as I think I'm already cutting this and cutting that and not listening to my body enough as is.  I think I really need to do a better job of listening to my body, but I sometimes think I've messed it up too much for it to be reliable.  I have to give this more thought.

M1: Frittata, broccoli soup; coffee with HC

M2: Mixed greens and avo with O&V, roasted broccoli and cauliflower; tea with HC

M3: Salmon, mixed greens with O&V, roasted broccoli, tea with HC

2-hour delay for my son too (which really has no affect on him since he's in PM kindergarten).  Our district started doing "blizzard bags" for snow days.  Instead of having to make up the days in June, for each snow day, they now get a packet of work to do at home in addition to the regular homework.  He's in kindergarten, so of course, this means a lot of extra work for mom and dad too.  :rolleyes:   We did most of yesterday's blizzard bag already, so we're trying to keep up.  Fun times.

What are doing/not doing to listen to your body?  Are you eating when you're not really hungry? Eating past "fullness"? 

Blizzard bag is a great idea!  Yes, it puts work on mom and dad, but it's kind of like having to make up a sick day or something.  Only the whole class was sick.  Makes sense to me.  We had scheduled two days off taken away, which is fine. 

Sara - this is a whole process for me, too, balancing listening to my body and not overthinking.  I hope you can figure it out!  I think just not buying nuts would be a good start.  I know it was for me.  Whenever I cave and buy nuts, I regret it.  I love them, but they don't love me.  I had some leftover stir fry from the freezer for dinner last night and it had cashews in it and right away, i bloated up and was gassy.  No fun!

Blizzard bags sound like a good idea to me.  We haven't heard a word on what they are doing about makeup days.

Derek - I wouldn't say I eat past fullness, but I have been snacking on nuts when not hungry.

Jen - As I'm sure you get, a lot of things I buy aren't just for me, but for the family.  But maybe I have to at least not buy my trigger, cashews.   I don't want to overthink this, but I know I am.  Low carb, too much protein, too much starchy carbs, not enough carbs, on and on and on.  My head reels with it and my body sits in limbo.

Well, I've strung together two days of no nut snacking.  I want to get in a couple of weeks and see how I feel.  One thought I had was cutting the nuts up to use as a condiment in a salad or dish, but chopped nuts aren't really fun (or easy) to eat.

Thursday I ended up doing my strength training.  Friday morning I got up early and ran 3 miles before work (had to go in for some meetings) and 1:20 plank.  Today I did a 7 mile run at 18 degrees.  It was really cold.  And I was slow.  But I got it done.  I need to do 5 tomorrow. 1:00 plank today, I should have given myself a little rest between the 7-miler and the plank.  I was too exhausted to do more than the minute.

Today we are going to my ILs for dinner.  I have no idea of the menu, so I'll be winging it.  I'll eat what I can and I can always eat something when I get home.  Tomorrow we are planning on taking my son to the new Lego Movie for a good report card.

Friday

M1: Egg casserole, roasted broccoli; coffee with HC

M2: mixed greens with O&V

M3: Salmon, roasted caulflower, mixed greens with O&V; tea with HC

Satruday

M1: Egg casserole, roasted cauliflower, mixed greens with O&V; Coffee with HC

M2: Mixed greens with O&V

M3: Meatballs and sausage in sauce, salad with O&V, tea with HC (MIL kept the meat aside from the pasta, so I appreciated that, probably some stuff in the meatballs and sausage I wouldn't normally eat, but I'm okay with that)

Not buying nuts really is the smartest solution, but I keep failing that plan!  I say I'll only eat a few, but then I dip back into them.

A seven mile run at 18 degrees is awesome!!!  Oh, I miss running and running in the cold, though I don't miss that first mile at all.  Way to go on getting so many things done.  And the new Lego movie - it got such good reviews - bet a lot of kids are going to be playing Legos in the upcoming months!

The first mile is definitely the worst.  Today it was 17 degrees for my 5 miler.  A little bit of wind and no sun made it feel much colder!  But I'm happy to be able to get out and run on the weekend when it is light out.  Plank for 1:20 today, whew, it is so tough at the end.  I had my son counting it down for me.  He planked with me for a minute.  I keep inviting him to do stuff with me, so I was glad he did.   :)

Dinner at the ILs went well, MIL was very accommodating which I appreciate.  Avoided the nuts again.

I'm eating a quick breakfast and we are leaving shortly for the Lego movie.  Emma, I hope it is as good as the reviews say.  I haven't been to an actual movie theater in years.

I was considering doing a W30, inspired by Juz.  But I'm just not there mentally.  I still think I can figure it out without getting that strict.  I'm not quite ready to give up my dairy either, when I don't think it is causing me issues.  However, I am going to do no nuts for 30 days.  If in 15 days, I'm still struggling, I will give up dairy as well and go back to template eating.  Because the only thing I'm really eating right now that isn't compliant is dairy, I think two weeks would give me some results.  So today is Day 1 - no nuts (although I am allowing myself up to 1 tbsp of almond butter per day, as this doesn't seem to throw me over the edge like nuts themselves do).  :)

M1: Egg casserole and roasted cauliflower; coffee with HC

M2: Going out to lunch, son's choice, we'll see what happens, red robin - lettuce wrapped bacon and guac burger and steamed broccoli

M3: We need to get something out, so this is unplanned as well - tuna salad with avo over mixed greens with O&V, roasted broccoli; tea with hc, tbsp almond butter

I could cry right now. My stomach is hurting so badly, and it is bloated beyond belief.  I have so much work to do and I have the auditors coming in at any moment.  I really need some relief!  Okay, back to it, just really needed to vent for a minute...

I could cry right now. My stomach is hurting so badly, and it is bloated beyond belief.  I have so much work to do and I have the auditors coming in at any moment.  I really need some relief!  Okay, back to it, just really needed to vent for a minute...

I'm so sorry you are not feeling well. I hope it goes away quickly and you feel better soon. You had a lot of broccoli and cauliflower yesterday, I wonder if that is the culprit.

Thanks, Bethany.  I eat a lot of broccoli and cauliflower every day (but not raw), but that could be a factor.

By the time we got home from having lunch at Red Robin, my stomach was hurting.  I drank some "get relief" tea and that helped.  But woke up this morning not feeling great.  I had two more cups of the "get relief" tea and I'm feeling much better now.  Still bloated and not 100%, but I'm actually starting to think I can actually eat something.  I really believe it was something I had at RR, but I tried to be as compliant as possible, not sure what it could have been.

Evil stomach.

Bethany, Maybe that's my culprit.  I guess I'll go back to not eating anything on the rare occasion we go to RR.  I always tell my son - Red Robin, yuck!  (In case anyone doesn't know it, their slogan is "Red Robin, yum!")

Today is my rest day, and I'm looking forward to it.  This week is a heavy running week and then I get a cutback.

Day 2 no nuts!

M1: Frittata, broccoli/zucchini/mushroom soup; coffee with HC

M2: Mixed greens with avo and O&V, roasted broccoli

M3: Taco meat and one slice bacon with sour cream and tiny portion of shredded cheddar over mixed greens with O&V; tea with HC, tbsp of almond butter

I'm sorry you were hurting!  I hope it's better.

Good luck on 30 days no nuts.  I think I'll join you.  30 days no SB.  Even a lick of a knife.  Starting now.

How was the lego movie?  9yo wants to see it.  He's obsessed with legos.  We even went to lego land for spring break last year. 

Bethany, Maybe that's my culprit.  I guess I'll go back to not eating anything on the rare occasion we go to RR.  I always tell my son - Red Robin, yuck!  (In case anyone doesn't know it, their slogan is "Red Robin, yum!")

Today is my rest day, and I'm looking forward to it.  This week is a heavy running week and then I get a cutback.

Day 2 no nuts!

M1: Frittata, broccoli/zucchini/mushroom soup; coffee with HC

M2: Mixed greens with avo and O&V, roasted broccoli

M3: Not sure yet

The last couple of times I went to Red Robin I got the AVO-COBB-O Salad. I have them take the tomatoes off (because I don't really like them) and the last time I had the olives they tasted funny to me so I had them take those off too. Actually the last time I had it was Day 30 of my whole30 so I also had them take the cheese and bacon off and she offered me extra avocado to make up for it. I also obviously have it without the dressing but it really doesn't need anything as there is so much stuff on it.

Bethany - I'll have to give that a try, it would be nice not to be a bummer when we rarely make a trip out to eat.

Jen - Oh good, it will feel good to have a no nuts comrade!  As for the movie, it was okay.  My son seemed somewhat disappointed with it, but this morning he was singing a song from it.  Maybe a little too hyped up?  From my perspective, it didn't have as much hidden in it for adults as I have come to expect (like Cars, for example).  But it was fun, easy on the brain.

Definitely feeling better now, and I think I have gotten the auditors everything they needed.  A better day then how it looked at the start.  :)

Jen - I'm all in, I'm giving up the nut butters completely.  I want to really see how the nuts/butters are impacting me.  Starting today.

Juz - I hope you mean 30 seconds, because otherwise you are intense!   :lol:   I do my planks on elbows, trying to keep my body in a straight line.  My son does butt up, but I'm more about making it fun for him then being a stickler for form.

Day 3 no nuts!  Week 6 of strength training.  So tonight is a 3 mile run on the treadmill followed by strength training.  Feeling MUCH better today, thank goodness.I'm definitely blaming RR.

M1: Frittata, broccoli/zucchini/mushroom soup (really like this, having different veg in the creamed soup seems to balance things out); coffee with HC

M2: Mixed greens with 1/2 avo and 2 slices of bacon with O&V, roasted broccoli; tea

M3: Taco meat Chicken breast and one slice bacon with sour cream over mixed greens with O&V; tea with HC

Yay - We'll do a no-nuts-no-nubutter 30.  That should be easier than a W30, right? 

My plank is elbows, too.  4 min seems to be my max.  I keep forgetting, though, so I'm not doing it every day.  I need to remember!

I keep forgetting too. My challenge yesterday was demonstrating the pike position stuff (butt down feet in the air making a V) that we were asking our class to do in the water while on land myself. So hard! I'm doing my planks on my elbows as well though I'm conditioned by Les Mills to call those hovers. ;)

Archived