Sara's Post W30

SaraRuns

I think the rest day is what I needed.  I went to bed sure I was calling the doctor this morning, but I seem to be feeling a lot better today.  Today will be another rest day and then hopefully I can get back on track with my training tomorrow.

Day 16 no nuts

M1: Frittata, veg soup; coffee with HC

M2: Ground venison with avo (1/2) and butternut squash (1/2 cup), mixed greens with O&V

M3: Ground venison with 1/4 avo and mixed greens with O&V; tea with tsp HC

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things rapidly deteriorated yesterday.  I'm not on antibiotics, which I think is a good thing.  I was trying to avoid them, but more than three weeks later, it was time.

Day 17 no nuts

I am supposed to do strength training and 3 miles tonight, we'll see how it goes.

M2: Salmon cake, mixed greens with O&V, and roasted broccoli

M3: Venison steak, mixed greens with O&V, tea with tsp HC, mixed berries with 3 tbsp hc

Day 18 no nuts.

Workouts went fine yesterday.  I seem to be improving health-wise, finally.  Tonight are intervals - 6X800.

M2: Salad with chicken, roasted broccoli

M3: Venison burger with avo, mixed greens with O&V, apple sweet potato; tea with tsp of hc

You got rid of over 250 things?  That's awesome!  I love when I finally de-clutter and pass things along.  I never miss the stuff, but I always think I will.  Way to go!  And way to go on 18 days of no nuts.  Hope you continue to feel better.

Emma - It felt awesome.  It was almost all clothes that haven't fit me for two or three years.  Adios!

Last night I had bad cravings for butters.  I forgot to make my sweet potato, so I had an apple instead.  There is nothing quite like an apple and some sort of butter.

That said, Day 19 no nuts!  Got in my intervals.  They were tough, but I made it through.  Hurting a bit today, but that's to be expected.

M1: Frittata, veggie soup; coffee with HC

M2: Chicken breast over mixed greens with O&V

M3: Venison burger with avo, mixed greens with O&V, roasted broccoli; tea with tsp of HC

Day 20 no nuts.

5 miles on the treadmill and strength training are done for the day.  Tonight my son gets his orange belt in Karate.  Tomorrow I have to go into work for a few hours and then my friend is stopping by.

M1: Eggs and mushrooms, roasted broccoli, mixed greens with O&V; coffee with HC

M2: FF Fage yogurt with raspberries, tea

M3: Venison burger with avo, roasted broccoli, mixed greens with O&V; tea with tsp HC

Yay Sara!

You must have a strong mind to be able to stay on a treadmill or 8 km!!!

I must be three weeks coffee free now. Strangely, I haven't hardly had any nuts or cravings for them, may be because of no coffee to trigger snacking? I have been having seeds and sultanas but in small doses one not more Han once a day.

Thanks, Juz!  It does take some mind over matter to be on the treadmill so long, but I'm so glad I've been able to keep up with my training.  Mostly I'm good on the nuts, but when I'm hungry, watch out.  My mind definitely does the whole, a few won't hurt, they are quick and easy.  But I know better...

Day 22 no nuts!  Yesterday I did a quick 3 miles.  Today was 7 miles and 1:40 plank.  We are supposed to be getting more snow today/tonight, but we were downgraded to 3-6 from 12-18 thank goodness.  Tomorrow is my rest day, but since I'll be working from home, I may do my strength training, which will make after work on Tuesday much easier with just a quick 3 miler.  Okay, yesterday food:

M1: Veg soup, coffee with HC (not ideal but I had to go into work and was rushing so I could meet up with a friend after)

M2: FF Fage yogurt with raspberries, tea with a friend

M3: Chicken grilled, roasted cauliflower, mixed greens with O&V

Snack: 2 5oz glasses of wine and 1.5 oz of manchego cheese (yum!, but I did have a headache when I woke up this morning, that went away with the run)

Today's food/plan

M1: Eggs with mushrooms and avocado (I was going to add salsa, but the salsa I bought has sugar, ugh!), mixed greens with O&V; coffee with HC and cinnamon

M2: FF Fage yogurt with raspberries

M3: Venison steak, roasted cauliflower, mixed greens with O&V, tea with tsp hc

Day 23 no nuts.

Well, so much for the big storm.  We got a light dusting and there weren't even any school delays.  So in to work I came.  Of course, we have a few employees who still didn't come in, one of them mine...  :rolleyes:

Today is a rest day and since I'm not home, I won't get strength training in today.  I think a whole day off will be good for me.

M2: Chicken with mixed greens and O&V; tea

M3: probably chicken with mixed greens and O&V and roasted cauliflower; tea with tsp of HC

Day 24 no nuts!

Today I have 3 miles and strength training on deck.  I'm trying to convince myself to get up and run tomorrow in the morning.  I'm going into work a little late because my son is doing a reading at Church.  I should have time to get the run in and keep us on time.  That would totally free up my evening which would be really nice.

M2: Yogurt with raspberries, mixed greens with avo and O&V, apple sausage link; tea

M3: Venison burger, mixed greens with O&V, veg soup; tea with tsp of HC

You're doing awesome with the no nuts!  I've fallen off the no butters wagon.  But, it's been limited to just a few times when it fit in a meal and I haven't been mindlessly dipping things (carrots, apples) into sunbutter, so that's good.  You're doing great running, too!  I can't wait to be able to get outside for a walk.  Someday.  We got dumped on and had another day off the week before last.  And then a deep freeze, so our roads are too awful to walk or run on.  I can't wait for spring!

Thanks, ladies.  Knowing I'm reporting in here on the nuts/butters is sometimes the only thing keeping me on it.  Once the 30 days is up, I think I will add back in, but not as a daily.  I'm trying to figure out my fueling, and being able to add in some nuts could be helpful, especially when I underestimate.

Training seems to be going well and the race is a great motivator.  I really want to do well (for me).

Strength training and 3 miles yesterday evening, 40 minute tempo run this morning.  And now I'm starving.  That's what I get for two workouts in under 12 hours.  My son read in Mass this morning, so I came to work late so I could see him.  He did a great job, I was really proud of him.  The first graders are so cute.

M2: 1/2 venison burger, 1 link apple sausage, mixed greens with avo & O&V, 1/3 cup FF Fage yogurt with raspberries; tea

M3: Venison roast, mixed greens with O&V, sweet potato (1 cup) with butter; frozen berries with HC and tea with 1 tsp of HC

Sometimes, it's just breaking the habit that is needed.  I'm not still on the 30 day no nuts thing (work stress made me not care enough to avoid them in meals), but even the time I did put in helped break the dipping habit.  I consider that a win.  First graders are very cute!  They get less cute.  We have the start of teenager attitude going on at our house.  EVERYTHING is boring or annoying.  And it's just beginning.  I hear girls are worse, though.

Jen - I agree that the reset is what was needed.  I certainly haven't lost any weight going off the nuts, so I don't think they are bad for me, at least not in moderate consumption.  Don't scare me on the aging process!  I know it is coming.  Here and there we see little mini signs of attitude.  Right now we can nip those in the bud.  My son promises me right now that he'll still cuddle on the couch with me in a few years, I tell him, just wait.  ;)

I'm trying not to get frustrated, but I'm gaining weight.  I'm not sure what the issue is.  I am tracking my calories and I should be in a losing position, even if it is slow losing.  At worst, I should be maintaining.  And this is real gain, my measurements are up, my pants are tight (I've got a muffin over my big pants).  I've also noticed an increase in hair loss after showering.  And my constipation issues are much worse.  I'm wondering again if it could be my thyroid.  I have an appointment with my doctor in April and I'm going to ask for a full screening of my thyroid.  Right now I'm up 4 pounds over where I was back in October when I started this process, and I had been maintaining at that weight for about two years.  Something just isn't right.

M2: 2 oz venison burger, 1 sausage link, mixed greens with avo and 1 slice bacon and O&V

M3: Ground venison of some kind, mixed greens with O&V, roasted broccoli; tea with tsp HC

12yo no longer will let us kiss him goodnight.  So sad!  My husband told him very sternly that it's ok to say no to anyone but his mom and if his mom wants to kiss him goodnight, he will let her! LOL  I sometimes can get a peck on the top of the head before he squirms away.  The 9yo still likes to cuddle at least.

I'm in the same boat.  I've been gaining, too.  In the past 6 years, I've gained about 10 lbs slowly.  Since starting W30 last April 1, I'm up about 2 lbs.  I can lose a few lbs, but they come back pretty quickly if I let up at all.  Then, I can gain a few lbs and they won't go away for anything.  It's very frustrating.  I hope you can figure out what's going on.  I still need to make a dr appt to get checked out.  I've had my thyroid checked a few times and they always say it's normal.  I'm going to ask them to check it again. 

Jen - Aack, no more kisses.  I'm glad your husband told your son you should still get kisses, that's awesome.  9, so I still have a couple more years.  :)  It really is frustrating.  I know as we get older, it gets harder, but it shouldn't be this hard.  I've had my thyroid tested before, but I'm wondering if I could be experiencing subclinical symptoms?

Bethany - Ugh, I so don't want to hear that about the running!  I'm not going to give up my training, so I need to figure this out.  I've been giving the carb thing a lot of thought.  I think you might be right, I might be too low carb for my body.  I know the very low carb works great for some people and they get amazing results.  I wanted to give the process a fair shot, so I probably have held on to the VLC for longer than I should have.  I don't think I am one of those people who does well on it.  So I'm going to start bringing my carbs up slowly and see if I can find a sweet spot.

In the meantime, while experimenting with the carbs, I put a call into my doctor asking for a full panel of my thyroid, including antibodies.  I haven't heard back from her yet.

5.5 miles on the treadmill (it was supposed to be 6, I got confused and thought it was supposed to be 5, duh!  :rolleyes: ) and strength training. I'm trying to eat quickly before I call my sister in Ireland, it has been too long since we've chatted.

M1: 3 HB eggs, 2 oz chicken, mixed greens with O&V, roasted broccoli; coffee with HC

M2: 1/2 cup FF Fage yogurt, 1/4 raspberries and cinnamon

M3: Taco venison (4 oz), 1/4 avocado, mixed greens with O&V, roasted cauliflower, 1/2 cup sweet potato; tea with 1 tsp HC

ETA: Day 27 no nuts.  Day 27 - when did that happen!!!

Especially with the endurance running you are doing VLC is not going to work. You need to replenish your glycogen. Also long distance running puts our bodies under a lot of stress which is going to make weight loss harder. When I first started distance running I put 10 lbs back on. At the time my size stayed the same though. 

You might want to check out this book to help tweek your nutrition to your activities: http://stupideasypaleo.com/the-paleo-athlete-book/

I bought a copy for my kindle but haven't had time to read it.

Bethany, It is funny, I still really don't think of what I am doing as long distance running.  You forgot to put the link for the book in, please do, as I am very interested!

Day 28 no nuts.  1:45 plank, my best to date.

Today is busy.  Got my 4 miles in already.  I have to pick my son up from the first half of a birthday party around 1pm, go to the rest of the party.  Home for a little bit, and then off to another birthday party.

M1: 2 HB Eggs, 2 oz grilled chicken, over mixed greens with O&V, roasted broccoli; coffee with HC

M2: Yogurt and berries

M3: No clue, since we'll be at a party.  Maybe I should eat first?  At least something small?   I'm not sure.

Thanks, Bethany!  I took your advice and ate before and after at home, just sparkling water at the party.

Day 29 no nuts!  Total plank fail, just 1:04.  I just didn't have it in me after my long run.  8 miler outside in the sunshine!  It was still a bit cold and windy, the wind sweeping across the snow was especially cold.  I've been doing so many treadmill runs, my body isn't used to all the hills anymore.  But I made it through, I'm pretty sore right now.

Loads and loads of laundry on my plate, some cleaning and cooking.  But first I want to sit down and enjoy my first cup of coffee of the day!

M1: 2 HB eggs, 2 oz chicken with mixed greens and O&V, roasted broccoli, and 1 cup butternut squash; coffee with HC

M2: FF Fage yogurt with raspberries/blackberries; tea

M3: Venison taco meat with 1/2 avocado over mixed greens with O&V, roasted broccoli; tea with tsp HC

Day 30 no nuts!  Wihoo, I made it.  Not that I expected not to, but as with the W30, the second half went much faster than the first.  Now I'm going to have to figure out the more difficult process of how to add nuts and butters back in without going overboard.  A work in process.

Today is a rest day, and boy do I need it.  Although I'm not as sore as yesterday, those hills really did a number on me.

M2: HB egg and 1/2 avocado over mixed greens with O&V, roasted broccoli, 1/2 cup yogurt with raspberries; tea

M3: Grilled chicken, mixed greens with O&V, roasted cauliflower/broccoli; tea with tsp of HC

Archived