January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

Wedding survival tip...find out what they are serving...thankfully these days most events cater to a variety of "needs/ requests" pick and choose as if you LIFE depended on it. I have a disease that requires me to be on a VERY low sodium diet...so I plan and ask. If the options look eh...then eat a little before you go...and have a plan for when you return home...you WILL be hungry!!  Text a life line too...i find that super helpful.

Most importantly ENJOY the joyous occasion...assuming you like weddings.

Best of luck

Grandma Carolyn

Thanks for the tips : )  

Enjoying the occasion is the most important thing and I don't have to eat to do that.  How sad that my mind is so used to focusing on food that I would forget to focus on the bride and groom...  Wow.  What a revelation that is.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's some thoughts:

- Your teas - are you having them out of habit, or are you truly hungry?  (Hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli.)  Being hungry in between meals can be a sign of not eating enough at your earlier meals. Maybe try the higher end of the meal template at your main meals: 2 palms of protein, 3 cups of vegetables, and the appropriate amount of fat, and see if that helps?

- If you make those changes and you're still hungry in between meals, have a mini-meal that contains a protein and fat. No fruit - limit your 1-2 daily servings of fruit to include with or immediately after your main meals only.  Nuts are considered a fat source on a Whole30.

- Did lunch have a fat?  Unclear to me: if not, be sure to add the appropriate amount of compliant fat.

- Are you staying sufficiently hydrated? Aim for drinking water, in the amount of half your body weight in ounces, daily.

I also notice that this is a lot of fruit. If I ate that much sugar, I'd definitely be hungry all the time. I have to barely eat fruit at all because it puts me on a mean rollercoaster and I end up a lot more hungry and less satisfied. Plus, it makes me want more coffee. Better for me if I cut it totally. Then I know when I'm really hungry.

Ok I'm confused about something and hoping y'all can help me out. I see everyone posting about eating Lara bars but all the ones I've seen have soy, honey, rice, chocolate, or other non-compliant food in the ingredients. Am I missing something? They would be a good snack but I don't want to ruin my progress by eating one!

Ok I'm confused about something and hoping y'all can help me out. I see everyone posting about eating Lara bars but all the ones I've seen have soy, honey, rice, chocolate, or other non-compliant food in the ingredients. Am I missing something? They would be a good snack but I don't want to ruin my progress by eating one!

I think you are confusing lara bars with luna bars. Some flavors of lara bars have chocolate and peanuts that make them non-compliant but most of them are nuts, dates, and other fruit for the most part. The primary ingredient in almost every one is dates though which is why we urge you to make them an emergency food and not a regular part of your meal plan.

Excited for day 13 and can't believe we have almost made it two weeks...then only 2 more weeks, no sweat WE got this!! Another round of NFL games this weekend but am feeling way better about it and have no sadness about not drinking, I am way too far in to fail now so soda water and lime it is. GO HAWKS!

Everyone have a good weekend, stay strong and stay busy, that helps!!

Got home at dinnertime yesterday with a bag of compliant groceries in hand, and DS's birthday requested dinner: pizza and chicken wings.  Was ready to cook up some yummy Buffalo Shrimp from Caveman Feast, when DH tells me we don't have Frank's Red Hot.  Now, we live in WNY...home of the chicken wing...Frank's is in EVERY house.  I said, "Since when?!"  He switched it out for Sriracha, and hasn't bought anymore in awhile.  I looked at him and broke.

He must have seen my utter devestation (my plan, my awesome plan for resisting delicious chicken wings!!) and offered to cook my shrimp some other way.  The low-country boil he made was excellent, but then I had terrible bloating all evening.  Raw broccoli from lunch?  Pistachios?  the shrimp?  Maybe just day 11...

I haven't felt this emotional about food and eating since I was pregnant and had gestational diabetes!   

Then I was rushing out the door this morning and completely forgot my food for the day.  UGH.  Zipped out to the corner deli at lunch time and bought a sweet potato, some carrots, and some olives.  Unfortunately ALL of their meats have S.T.U.F.F. in them--dextrose, sugar... So, no protein for lunch, but at least I got some veg.  And now I have the leftover carrots and olives for emergencies at work.

Happy Friday everyone.  Wishing you all a bloat-free weekend!  Bring on the tiger blood!  I'm ready for it!

Hang in there Chellie. You can do it!

I made the homemade mayo today & ranch dressing. We are going to a Super Bowl party & I want to take something I can eat so one thing will be a veggie platter with ranch. SO GOOD! I like ranch dressing, but never liked the mystery packets & didn't know what was in those. This is so much better & I made it myself!!!

Finally got to try the chocolate chili. Another success!!! So fun finding new recipes & knowing where my food came from. My own kitchen!

I'm only having fruit at night after dinner as dessert. I find that it helps me stay asleep all night (along with magnesium) and satisfies my sweet tooth. If I really really need a snack (has happened twice), a spoonful of almond butter eaten mindfully hits the spot. Because, we're not really supposed to have to eat steamed fish and broccoli when we find we're hungry enough to eat them, right? :rolleyes: Please say no.

I'm only having fruit at night after dinner as dessert. I find that it helps me stay asleep all night (along with magnesium) and satisfies my sweet tooth. If I really really need a snack (has happened twice), a spoonful of almond butter eaten mindfully hits the spot. Because, we're not really supposed to have to eat steamed fish and broccoli when we find we're hungry enough to eat them, right? :rolleyes: Please say no.

If you are thinking of your fruit as dessert you should revisit that. One of the goals of the program is separating ourselves from the need to have dessert after a meal. How you view the food you are eating is as important as what you are eating.

No if you are hungry and you need a snack you don't have to eat steamed fish and broccoli however you should eat a protein and fat and possibly vegetable. A mini meal. A spoonful of almond butter is just fat from the standpoint of the W30.  

I'm glad I got this far, but I am having a tough time not really wanting the things I want. Mostly a glass of wine, beer, gin and tonic anyone? and a peice of chocolate, I can do without milk and beans and peanuts and breadbut I really want chocolate and a drink

I read the article about "so you think you want to quit?" http://whole30.com/2014/01/do-you-really-want-to-quit/

I don't want to quit, and I won't quit but this is hard and I can see why people quit around this time. I'm not starving and I'm satisfied at every meal so far, and that is encouraging.

Almost halfway there!

Karensa,

hmmmm...I'm stumped...I absolutely LOVE olive oil! Don't give up on the oo just yet! Make sure you get a high quality oo...cold pressed extra virgin...be sure it is sold to you in a dark GLASS container or bottle. Don't buy oo that comes in a plastic bottle. I use Trader Joe's Organic EVOO. Try adding a pinch of sea salt and seasonings to your veggies. I use TJ 21 Season Salute. (I sure hope it is W30 approved b/c I practically have this stuff oozing from my pores...not kidding...I put it on just about everything) Take a fish oil supplement too..if you arn't already. hope this helps...anyone else have any suggestions?

Grandma Carolyn  :P

Busy day today, which sets the stage for bad eating behaviour . Managed to get all the proper meals but found myself snacking on tomatoes and cashews while cooking supper. Another habit to change, the snacking while cooking, I mean.

Felt really tired of all the preparation, cooking and shopping. But it will be all worth it .

Good thing from this is hubby is getting more vegetables too.

On to day 13, this week went fast!!

Some things I've learned so far:

Every damn thing in this country (US) has something in it I can't eat.

If I'm barefoot in the kitchen my back hurts less.

13 year-old girls are uglier on Whole30 than they are when PMSing.

Beware the 4 year-old's backwash if she just ate chocolate and is drinking from your straw.  That would be noncompliant.

Do not lick your fingers after the 4 year-old hands you the wrong end of her lollipop.  That would be noncompliant.

Every damn thing in this country (US) has something in it I can't eat.

Y'all take care.  

Do the next right thing.

I'm definitely in a slump.  Still tired and sort of foggy-headed.  I had delicious scrambled eggs last night along with plum tomatoes and avocados.  Ate two clementines as a "dessert."  Just getting caught up on posts and read that we shouldn't think of fruit as a dessert.  Oops.  This is the first time that I've felt I wanted to eat more after dinner.  So around 9:00 I had 2 hard-boiled eggs and two more clementines.  This morning I woke up with a familiar headache -- one I used to get when I'd eaten too much sugar the night before.  No wonder I like clementines so much, I guess.  Just feeling really blah today.  I'm tired and have a headache.  Maybe I'll snap out of it after eating breakfast and going grocery shopping.

I hope you feel better soon, Toni. :)

Today is Day 4 for me (again), but I'm so happy to have made it to this beautiful day! I just wanted to check-in here and thank all of you who encouraged me to stay with this lovely group of people!

Here's to a beautiful day!

~Lara

I'm definitely in a slump.  Still tired and sort of foggy-headed.  I had delicious scrambled eggs last night along with plum tomatoes and avocados.  Ate two clementines as a "dessert."  Just getting caught up on posts and read that we shouldn't think of fruit as a dessert.  Oops.  This is the first time that I've felt I wanted to eat more after dinner.  So around 9:00 I had 2 hard-boiled eggs and two more clementines.  This morning I woke up with a familiar headache -- one I used to get when I'd eaten too much sugar the night before.  No wonder I like clementines so much, I guess.  Just feeling really blah today.  I'm tired and have a headache.  Maybe I'll snap out of it after eating breakfast and going grocery shopping.

Looks like you made a valuable connection and learned something. It's ok to have the clementines after the meal if you are still hungry and had enough protein, fat, and vegetables. But if you are thinking "oh I need something sweet to top that off" then it is better to just say no or have some more of your dinner. Definitely your head told you why that snack shouldn't have had fruit in it. Eat a nice savory breakfast and hopefully you will feel better.

Question- when is the best time to fit fruit into your day. I know we shouldn't have fruit as a "dessert" or post workout. What is best. I have also heard its better to have carbs earlier in the day. What is W30 wisdom on this?

The template advises to have fruit as a part of or at the end of a meal as long as it doesn't push anything off your plate. In other words if you have less veggies so you can fit in an apple you should rethink that. As I posted above, you can have fruit at the end of the meal as long as it isn't filling the need to have something sweet after a meal. This is more of a mental thing than anything else. 

As far as timing your mileage may vary. I personally feel better when I save my fruit for later in the day for the most part. I try not to have it in the meal before my workout (which is usually in the morning) as I don't want my body to think I'm going to give it sugar to fuel itself I want it to burn my fat (there is still quite a lot of energy on my body already). Experiment and see what works for you. I stopped trying to fit fruit into my day and just have it available for if I want it and I (in post W30 land) try to never eat it on its own...always with protein or fat to slow the digestion of the sugars. Hope that helps.

Ok, y'all. Experiencing some weirdness last night and today. Admittedly, I'm not the biggest veggie enthusiast, but I think I've done really well during the last few weeks at making sure I get them in and trying new things. But, last night and this morning, I made sautéed zucchini with onions, garlic, and tomatoes. Normally, I can get down with zucchini - I'm not wild about the texture, but I can usually eat it without a problem. Last night and this morning, however, I feel physically ill at the thought of eating it. Like I just can't stomach it.

Today is the first day of my period (sorry if this is TMI for the dudes around here). I'm wondering if the PMS is causing it? This is obviously the first time I've had my period since changing my diet so drastically. Before, my appetite would increase, but I'm now experiencing loss of appetite. Anyone else ever experience this? I'm hoping it goes away in a day or two!

Ok, y'all. Experiencing some weirdness last night and today. Admittedly, I'm not the biggest veggie enthusiast, but I think I've done really well during the last few weeks at making sure I get them in and trying new things. But, last night and this morning, I made sautéed zucchini with onions, garlic, and tomatoes. Normally, I can get down with zucchini - I'm not wild about the texture, but I can usually eat it without a problem. Last night and this morning, however, I feel physically ill at the thought of eating it. Like I just can't stomach it.

Today is the first day of my period (sorry if this is TMI for the dudes around here). I'm wondering if the PMS is causing it? This is obviously the first time I've had my period since changing my diet so drastically. Before, my appetite would increase, but I'm now experiencing loss of appetite. Anyone else ever experience this? I'm hoping it goes away in a day or two!

Could be because of PMS. I know there are some things that are less appealing to me than normal at that time of the month. Or maybe you just don't like that combination? Have you had it before? Did you like it before? If you don't like zucchini you don't have to eat it. Personally my favorite way to do zucchini (and really the only way I really like it aside for in terribly not compliant baked goods) is spiralized to make noodles. 

All, I could use some suggestions.....going to my grandson's 3rd birthday party tomorrow.  They will be serving Pizza and Beer for the adults, I'm confident I can resist both as long as I bring my own food but I'm at a lost as to what that should be. Any suggestions on a 'portable' lunch I could bring with me?  Thanks in advance for your help.   

Sparkling water is my favorite drink and comes in lots of "flavors" now.  You could bring some soup or a salad or BOTH!  You might want some crunchy carrots or cherry tomatoes or nuts, too, so if there are munchies there you will have something satisfying that urge.

All, I could use some suggestions.....going to my grandson's 3rd birthday party tomorrow.  They will be serving Pizza and Beer for the adults, I'm confident I can resist both as long as I bring my own food but I'm at a lost as to what that should be. Any suggestions on a 'portable' lunch I could bring with me?  Thanks in advance for your help.   

Archived