January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 15... WoooHoooo!!!  Today I could go for a nice cold beer, however I'll fight that urge.  I definitely have more energy, feel less bloated, and clothes are fitting better.  Getting into the groove of what to make and what fits in my schedule.  I saw another post about the frustration of spending all Sunday in the kitchen, I felt that way the first week too so I'm just learning what works best for me.  Lots of easy dinner meals that will leave leftovers for lunch the next day.  Hardboiling eggs and making a mass amount of egg scramble on Sunday is helpful for breakfasts and doesn't take too much time.  I make my 10mo old's baby food too, and the last thing I want to do is spend a whole weekend day in the kitchen.  Do what works!  I've now come to enjoy my iced black coffee in the morning, and do not plan on going back to creamer or syrup after the Whole30.  

Keep on truckin, we're halfway there! :)

immense frustration happening for me today ...

whilee browsing the boards last nght, I came across a question about finding rotisserie chickens that are compliant. "hmm," I said to myself. "I had a chicken from Kroger on day 4. certainly it didn't have any nasties ..."

WRONG. that chicken has less than 2% of just about everything we aren't supposed to be eating (carrageenan, sugar, etc.) I'm infuriated and pretty sad. I never thought to check the label on a roast chicken. what kind of a world is this anyway? this isn't even food anymore.

anyway, I'm adding 4 days to the end of my whole30 because I think that would be the right thing to do. kind words, please. :(

whilee browsing the boards last nght, I came across a question about finding rotisserie chickens that are compliant. "hmm," I said to myself. "I had a chicken from Kroger on day 4. certainly it didn't have any nasties ..."

WRONG. that chicken has less than 2% of just about everything we aren't supposed to be eating (carrageenan, sugar, etc.) I'm infuriated and pretty sad. I never thought to check the label on a roast chicken. what kind of a world is this anyway? this isn't even food anymore.

anyway, I'm adding 4 days to the end of my whole30 because I think that would be the right thing to do. kind words, please. :(

Don't beat yourself up, lesson learned!  It is sad that we really have to read every label to see what is in things... I also find it very sad & discouraging that we have to spend an arm and a leg on food that is LESS processed.  Doesn't make sense...  Keep your head up, you're doing great otherwise :)

That is a bummer and a great learning experience. Adding 4 more days is the perfect thing to do. Don't beat yourself up just keep powering forward!

Also on Day 15 and feeling Fantastic!  I don't read/post much so too much to catch-up on.  I'm just giving an update for myself.

This is my 3rd Whole30 so I'm seeing some comforting trends - I had detox symptoms (headache/fogginess) and voracious hunger the first week or so.  Also bloating and GI issues from adjusting back to real food.

But now my hunger is subsiding (I actually have some issues with lack of appetite) and the weight from the holidays is coming off.  I feel strong in my workouts and my sleep is great (I'm able to sleep earlier and longer than before).

My next steps are cutting down on fruit (I have 2 pieces on some days and I know I could lean out faster with less).  I'm also considering giving up caffeine (other than Green tea).  I'm going for a whole100 so I might wait until after I reintroduce wine post 30 days before nixing the caffeine... I'm being gentle with myself  :)

Keep up the good work everyone!  I love that we're doing this in January - it feels like a healthy renewal during a quiet time of year (as opposed to sprinting towards bikini season...)

Had today off of work so I went to the grocery store to stock up for the week.   Made sweet potato hash and eggs for breakfast,  had shrimp with butter lettuce, avocado and mango salsa for lunch.    Prepped for the week with Egg Muffins, extra meat and cut up veggies in case of emergency.   Making Nom Nom Paleo's Green Chicken for dinner and leftovers for the week.   Coupling it with mashed cauliflower.   Other preps for the week Well Fed 2's Taco Meat and homemade plantain chips, and making a tex mex casserole to cook up later in the week as well.    I know it takes a lot of time to plan and prep, but it is worth it.   I really love eating this way.     

What an awesome day!! Despite my rather sulggish run...I feel soooooo much better. I have not noticed a significant weight loss...but my WORD my brain is smiling :) !!! Seriously!! I'm all happy inside...sleeping better...not running around like a banshee! I'm busy don't get me wrong...BUT what I have done is cut down on the crazy making...some things can wait...and certain things can not. So instead of trying to do EVERything...I'm pretty sure I cut my stress level in half...yay me!!! :D

Day 16 is coming to a close...made a yummy combo of ground turkey, w garlic & onion, with califlower and butternut squash...with a boad load of seasonings...yumeee!! I cook simple meals with a lot of great seasonings...not eating any fruit right now...oh I think I need to cut EVCO (I don't think it agrees with me)...bummer because I love it with a fried egg...or omelet with fresh spinach. 

Have a great day..evening...morning!!!

Stay strong all!!

Grandma Carolyn

Day 15 is here! Aaaand, we've reached the halfway mark. I'm still trucking along, staying compliant, and feeling good.

I'm still experiencing a little food weirdness, though, as I mentioned in my last post. I hope that this is something temporary because I'm really struggling. The other night, I made steamed asparagus for dinner. Normally, I'm totally good with asparagus, but something is off with me right now. After I steamed it, I left it in the bag for a few minutes, so it got a little extra soggy, which wasn't so awesome. It still tasted fine, though. I took too big of a bite and actually GAGGED at the table. It was ridiculous! My stomach is still turning thinking about it. I made the beef veggie soup again this weekend (which I LOVED last week), and I was feeling a little gaggy about that, too! It's just the weirdest thing. Same thing with the spaghetti squash. I love it, but for some reason, I can't handle it right now.

I'm also struggling with the amount of time I have to spend in the grocery store and in the kitchen. I know it's always going to require effort, but I just can't see me spending every single Sunday cooking from now til kingdom come.

Anywho, despite all that, I'm feeling great. My mind is clear, I'm not having headaches, and I can feel my body changing! This week, I'm especially thankful for sweet potatoes, bananas, and sparkling water. And this forum.  :)  Oh, and I discovered macadamia nuts, which are apparently foraged from freaking El Dorado for how expensive they are. They're yummy, though.

Onward to the second half!

You make me laugh...I appreciate your humor... :D ...uuuuuh last time I experienced the gaggy food thing...mmmm I was pregnant...just sayin ;) .  Oh yeah I found the macadamia nuts too...I thing they are a food with no brakes for me...yup...can't have THOSE in the house anymore!! I'm thinking with the $$$ I'll save it's super worth it!! Hope you get past the stomach blugys soon...unless you are ????  (Maybe you are saying BITE you tongue young lady!!!)  :P 

Wish you the best!! Stay strong!!

Grandma Carolyn

Dear Haley Marie,

I sympathize with you! I'm doing a Whole40.

We make mistakes. We move on.

Let it be a lesson learned. ;)

~Lara

If any of you are still struggling with meal planning & prep- check out Well Fed or Clothes Make the Girl. On her page & in her book she has tips on planning & prepping meals without taking all your time.

Tried brining chicken today( it was great) & sautéed zucchini with mint, & baked apple with roasted nuts.

We spent our "holiday" working in the garden getting things ready to plant next month. Planning some new veggies to include in the garden this year.

We've made it tot the halfway point! Good job everyone- stay strong!!

Snapshot:

- made Chinese five-spice ribs and they ROCKED!!!

- I too am finding my appetite is decreasing and that I get fuller faster--is my stomach shrinking?

- Bowel issues have disappeared yay!

- I still want to eat a Snickers when it's in my face, fuck you Snickers

- made paleo mayo, BBQ sauce and ketchup this weekend, and they all rock!

Feeling good.

If any of you are still struggling with meal planning & prep- check out Well Fed or Clothes Make the Girl. On her page & in her book she has tips on planning & prepping meals without taking all your time.

Tried brining chicken today( it was great) & sautéed zucchini with mint, & baked apple with roasted nuts.

We spent our "holiday" working in the garden getting things ready to plant next month. Planning some new veggies to include in the garden this year.

We've made it tot the halfway point! Good job everyone- stay strong!!

Well, PaleoGardener, I had to smile when I read about you doing stuff out of Clothes Make the Girl.  I did too.  In fact, I spent a good deal of Sunday following along with her schedule and menu for cooking up a whole week's worth of food.  First I put my grain-fed roast into my crock pot, following the directions like a good girl.  (I'm not a good improviser with recipes.)  I wondered at the time, why do I need to leave it in the crockpot for 14-16 hours?  That seemed terribly long.  I got the crockpot started at 3:30 in the afternoon.  I opted to pour the juices off halfway through, so right before I went to bed I did that.  It smelled and looked really, really good.  At 5:30 a.m. I made my groggy way to the kitchen and took off the lid of the crockpot.  Voila!  What had been a beautiful roast now looked and felt like a black rock.    :blink:  I realized way too late that when the recipe calls for a 5-7 lb. roast and you made a 1 1/2 lb. roast, the smaller roast will not take as long to finish cooking.  Duh!!  Last night I almost got TMJ trying to chew this meat even though I sawed it into little pieces and put it in with a broth made of tomato sauce and the juice I had poured off.  It was pretty disastrous, but made for a good story and a laugh or two.  Any suggestions as to how I can make it more palatable?

Toni, I'm just guessing, but you might try soaking it in the juice you poured off, or in some beef broth. Just let it soak for a day or two and see if that helps it get some moisture back/become more tender. Other than that, no suggestions. :( (Or what PaleoGardener linked to!)

I'm really proud of myself for this weekend. Three days! No structure! Who knows what I'll eat! But I did fine. I made sure, when I felt like cooking, that I cooked enough to have plenty of leftovers for the meals I didn't feel like cooking for.

One thing that was made very clear to me was that I'm not drinking enough water. I had to have blood drawn, and the last time I was in, my kidney functions were apparently off (can't remember if high or low), so the doctor and I determined that I was probably a little dehydrated that time. Well. I was dehydrated this time too. The first nurse couldn't get any blood out of me, so she sent me home to rehydrate and come back later. When I got home, I immediately drank 2 glasses of water and realized how damn thirsty I really was. I ate lunch and kept pouring water into myself. The second time I went in, the nurse (a different one, a meaner one) was able to get the blood she needed, but she scolded me for not being hydrated enough.

So this week's goal: Concentrate on drinking enough water. 115 ounces, or just over 9 glasses. It's almost noon, and I'm almost halfway there. I just have to remind myself that when I'm thirsty, DRINK.

Day 12 finished!:)

Already more than a third done, yay!

I am craving cheese right now, not masses but just a little bit in my food, but on a positive note I don't mind my husband eating pretzels right next to me (he is supporting me in this, and following along loosely, and always asks when he is having something I cannot have, which I appreciate, and honestly, I am at a point where I really don't mind).

A light kettlebell and a Sarah Lurie video are on their way. Everyone wish me luck I don't swing the thing through a wall or window. I'm excited to get started on some weight-bearing exercise. I loved PowerFlex way back when I had a gym membership and time to go.

Toni, I have no help to offer about your carbonized roast, but I highly recommend Nom Nom Paleo Kalua Pork Roast for your next 16-hour slow cooker venture. It's one of the top five tastiest dishes I've ever cooked. The recipe calls for five pounds of meat which go really quickly around my house, but if I were cooking it for fewer people, I'd make the same size roast and freeze portions.

Checking in for day 16. Over half way......been having some craving, wanting to eat middle of the afternoon and before bed, just old habits, was not hard to pass it off. I actually could not finish my meal 2 today. A plate full of broccoli , cauliflower , Brussels sprouts and grass fed ground beef with compliant salsa sauce. And cashews for fat. Feeling good.

I find myself starving in-between meals... anyone else?  I think I'm eating enough, but maybe not?! Just add more veggies?  I'm the hungry where, yes, I would eat fish & broccoli if it were available! haha

Do your meals follow the template? If you are starving between meals at this point you are probably not eating enough but it is hard to know what to adjust without seeing a sample of what you are doing now.

I was really upset yesterday about the morton salt, I wanted to throw in the towel. This is nearly impossible to do in real life, it is expensive, and I am cooking and washing dishes way too much!

I have moments of telling myself this is stupid, then changing my mind and telling myself to see how I feel at the end. I don't feel very different. Maybe a little less groggy in the morning, and a little less bloated.

Anyways, I've found some really great recipes that have produced some really wonderful 
"paleo" foods! I've discovered sweet potato and avocado in my breakfast scramble- delicious! I made well fed's chocolate chili and italian pork roast. I made the butternut squash soup from paleo pot and it is awesome! Also crock pot curry chicken from milk and cuddles.

Tomorrow for lunch I am having chicken with homemade mayo with a sprinkling of sunflower seeds and scallions, and I'll eat it in a lettuce wrap, along with the butternut squash soup.

I am definately not starving, this is just alot of work, and expensive. If I want to eat like this "most of the time" (good lord, I'm going back to the booze) I need to find some ways to balance the budget :/

Read up on the skin-gut correlation (Google Chris Kresser-very informative)and since I'm trying to clear up some skin issues, I've decided to cut out nightshades for a few days. My skin is already clearer, but I want to see if I am sensitive to my beloved tomatoes. waaaahhh!

Bfast: 2 sausages, 1 carrot, 1/2 avocado, black coffee

Lunch: Chicken soup with carrots, onions, parsley, cilantro, 1/2 avocado, cumin, chili pepper

PreWO: sausage, almonds

WO: 100 handstands on wall with a chest tap for each.

Post Wo: forgot to eat!

Dinner: big fry-up of zucchini, onions, broccoli, chicken thighs, andouille --enough fir lunch tomorrow.

I'm officially out of my salad rut! Yay! Only having salad when I "have" to--restaurant, etc, and I must say that the one I had Sunday left MUcH to be desired.

Survived DS's bday celebration (I even made his cake and frosting w/o licking the spoons once/no cheese or pepperoni from the app plate)! After seeing me eating my "taco" sans shell, my b-i-l asked me what my "cleanse" was called--a convert?! ;).

A good week so far. NEED to drink more water.

Archived