January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

Good morning all!  I woke up this morning with a HORRIBLE headache.  Like...reminiscent of detox headache.  I don't know what could have caused this though because everything I have been eating has been compliant.  (I know...I've been making everything from scratch.)  It started last night and I had hoped it would go away after I slept.  No bueno.  Hopefully it will leave sometime today. 

Other than that everything has been going well.  I discovered home made Kale chips yesterday. O.M.Goodness.  Yumm!!!  I feel like I have more energy most days but I am still dealing with other things (connective tissue injury pain in my foot, back pain, and an old knee injury that still hurts).  I ***THINK*** my foot injury is hurting less now though, so that's good.  Or maybe it's all in my head.  Which, by the way still hurts. 

I found some awesome finds at the Farmer's Market this past weekend.  Including some yummy locally grown raspberry tea.  And I FINALLY found some compliant sausage!  Woohoo!!!  Ok, well I'm a teacher and the kids have arrived.  That's my call to go!  Have a great day everyone!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, quick check in and a little vent.

Day 18, feeling awesome. I went to spinning last night, and I'm going to say that I think the key to tiger's blood is EXERCISE. Seriously, I felt AMAZING after (and even during) my workout. I could feel my body getting stronger. Even though I haven't been training much, I felt like my endurance was better, I could handle more resistance, and my recovery time was shorter. I also slept much better after exercising. I'm so pumped about this!!

Aaaand here's my vent. Sorry in advance for the colorful language. So, my former boss and I share a coffee pot at the office. Before my W30, we would also share half and half. Since I've been doing the W30, I obviously haven't been partaking in the half and half or Splenda, and I've been taking my coffee black. Cue in other coworkers, one of whom is a major bitch.

MB: "Ewww, you're drinking BLACK COFFEE?!"

Me: "Yes"

MB: "Ugh, why?"

Me: "I'm doing a W30, so I'm not having dairy." **I didn't want to explain any further, knowing what her reaction would be.**

MB: "Well I just had a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit and downed a BOWL of gravy. I'm about to go down another bowl of gravy! ENJOY YOUR DIET, hahahah!!!!" **I swear to G she said this. Totally not embellishing or paraphrasing.**

Me: "I am, actually."

What I REALLY wanted to say was, "Enjoy your heart disease, bitch!" :angry:

I mean, seriously?! What makes people think that this is acceptable behavior? Why must some people (namely women) bring other people down and criticize? I know it must come from a place of insecurity, but it's just completely unacceptable.

What an effing B. /vent

Anyway, have a great day, everyone!! Lucky 13 days left!

Aaaand here's my vent. Sorry in advance for the colorful language. So, my former boss and I share a coffee pot at the office. Before my W30, we would also share half and half. Since I've been doing the W30, I obviously haven't been partaking in the half and half or Splenda, and I've been taking my coffee black. Cue in other coworkers, one of whom is a major bitch.

MB: "Ewww, you're drinking BLACK COFFEE?!"

Me: "Yes"

MB: "Ugh, why?"

Me: "I'm doing a W30, so I'm not having dairy." **I didn't want to explain any further, knowing what her reaction would be.**

MB: "Well I just had a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit and downed a BOWL of gravy. I'm about to go down another bowl of gravy! ENJOY YOUR DIET, hahahah!!!!" **I swear to G she said this. Totally not embellishing or paraphrasing.**

Me: "I am, actually."

What I REALLY wanted to say was, "Enjoy your heart disease, bitch!" :angry:

I mean, seriously?! What makes people think that this is acceptable behavior? Why must some people (namely women) bring other people down and criticize? I know it must come from a place of insecurity, but it's just completely unacceptable.

What an effing B. /vent

Anyway, have a great day, everyone!! Lucky 13 days left!

That would have been an interesting question to ask her: "Why do you feel the need to criticize what I choose to eat or drink?"

Yes, it's their insecurity and way of feeling good about what they eat. 

Day 19. I think I'm having my first glimpse of tiger blood. I wasn't groggy this morning, wasn't cranky to get out of bed (of course, my cats weren't walking on my tender bits with their pointy feet, so that may have helped), didn't really feel like I needed the coffee to get me going. I'm having even energy levels throughout the day, and not feeling snacky between meals. I think I have a sparkle in my eye that had faded a bit, and I can tell my belly is flatter.

This week I'm winging my meals more than usual. I know I've got all the compliant parts, and I'm just throwing them together for meals. Last night was nachos from WF2 (taco meat & plantain chips) (OMG, best taco meat recipe ever! I'm thinking about mixing up some of that seasoning in a big batch to have on hand because it's delicious) and stir fried some bell pepper, onion, and jalapeno. Last night I cobbled together a recipe from Practical Paleo, the drumsticks with zucchini and tomatoes. I used chicken thighs instead, but it was still damn good.

My water-drinking goal has been going well. I'm keeping tic marks on my note paper at work, and yesterday I'd drunk my required water for the day by the time I left work (though I still had more at home). I really thought I'd feel different when I knew I was hitting my water needs...but I don't really. Maybe it takes a few days of sufficient (or extra) water?

Have a good day 18ish, J6ers! :D

Checking In!

I'm feeling great! My pants are fitting a little looser, I have tons of energy, and my co=workers are noticing a (positive) difference in my body and my attitude. Hooray!!

I made the comment the other day that I'm doing WholeHoweverLongItTakes. I'm loving the changes I'm seeing and feeling, and I'm considering going straight through to 60 or 90 days. Has anyone ever done that? What are your opinions?

Hi everybody, just checking in. Day 28 today and I am still going strong. A bit too many nuts and fruits, otherwise I am doing great. This week has been/is crazy at work, but I plan ahead and try to get as much rest as possible. And on that note, I am off to bed!

Happy eating everyone and enjoy the tiger blood / more sustainable energy.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to hit my protein macro I need around 400g a day

If you are doing a Whole30 I recommend not worrying about macros right now. If you feel like you need a lot of protein (how did you come to that number?) eat the upper end of the template (2 palms of protein) and your pre/post workout meals which both have protein. We are asking you for 30 days to focus on trusting your body to tell you what it needs rather than numbers and calculators. Its just 30 days.

Checking in for day 18 , missed yesterday. Feeling great . Getting more comfortable with how much to put on my plate. I seem to be more in tune with my body, like I know when I am thirsty so I drink water in stead of grabbing food.

Great job everyone let's carry on

Take care

Hi Everyone,

Day 9 for me! I'm certainly up to some Tiger Blood. I've really been just drained of energy and trying to ride this out. I'm committed to doing 30 days, no matter what, so I'll take whatever happens. It's not unusual for me to be tired. I wake up tired (have for the past 42 years----as long as I've been a mother!), and pretty much stay tired throughout the day. Mornings are the best time for me to get anything done: exercise, housework, yard work, etc.

In all, I haven't noticed much difference in how I feel or think, except that I have no cravings for refined sweets, which amazes me! I was a vegan before doing the Whole30, and had heard about how grains can keep people who are carbohydrate-sensitive addicted to sugar and flour. I was always skeptical, thinking it was a matter of willpower. Perhaps there's a lot more going on in my brain and body chemistry than I realize. I'd certainly like to think so.

All in all, I'm really enjoying this program and this board totally rocks!

Ok, being going well! Haven't deviated from the program and feeling good. Wouldn't say tiger blood good, but my skins looking lovely and I've had a few days where I'm just happy :) even though I'm still having a few tired patches through the day and some headaches.

BUT...today I am seriously having a "kill all the things" day. It's the worst it has been to date! I'm feeling really edgy and not sure whether I feel like punching a wall or just sobbing!! Really just can't settle to anything and I'm trying to avoid the kids so I don't just freak out at them over any little thing! I'm up to day 19, I really was expecting to be past this bit?

Hi All, I haven't checked in for ages...sorry! Between commuting 3 hours / day, working 2 jobs, cooking like a mad woman and doing dishes till my fingers fall off, I've been so busy! But, as my mother would say, "Better to be busy than bored!" In this case, it really has been better to be busy because being bored gets me in trouble and I eat for the sake of eating.

This will be a quick check-in, but wanted to say I made it through the birthday celebrations last weekend without one little slip... HOORAY!! I'm still on track!

We're over the hump!! :)

Great work TJ6!  No one said this journey would be easy. As for me, on my second Whole 30, I can agree this is not easy.  But the best things in life, our greatest accomplishments, are almost never easy.

I am so impressed by our group working through the lows and enjoying the fantastic progress.  The finish line (or new starting line) is now coming into view.

One week from Tuesday the training wheels come off!

Stay strong everyone.

Rob

Day 20 for me...got Tiger blood and this grandma is keeping her wheels on!! After many fits and starts I have made the decision that THIS is exactly what my body needs. So I'm gonna keep on trucking...my workouts are better, my sleep is amazing...and as I said before my brain is smiling. yay!!  :D The benefits of eating this way, for me have proven to be exactly what my body needs. I will be very happy to make it to day 30..BUT I am curious to see if I can keep on truckin'. ???

Have a fantasticly blessed day everyone....almost there!!!

Grandma Carolyn!!

****Missing my outdoor runs though :( ....running on the TM...eh not so much fun. Hopefully Saturday the weather will cooperate!****

Happy Friday!! whoohoo!!

Hi All, I haven't checked in for ages...sorry! Between commuting 3 hours / day, working 2 jobs, cooking like a mad woman and doing dishes till my fingers fall off, I've been so busy! But, as my mother would say, "Better to be busy than bored!" In this case, it really has been better to be busy because being bored gets me in trouble and I eat for the sake of eating.

This will be a quick check-in, but wanted to say I made it through the birthday celebrations last weekend without one little slip... HOORAY!! I'm still on track!

We're over the hump!! :)

Hey there mad woman!! :P  I can relate to the super busy part...glad you checked in and are doing great!! Keep up the great work!!! yay!!

Grandma Carolyn

19 days!! Wow. We are all doing great. This is not easy and it shouldn't be. I have learned a lot already and still have 11 days to learn even more. I'm not sure that I could have gotten this far without this forum. I thank each and everyone of you. Reading the ups and downs everyone has gone through makes me believe we can all do anything. I took the advice given and ate an egg before my run yesterday. It was wonderful. I definitely have to eat before I run. That was a big learning experience. I am planning on branching out and starting to do body weight exercises. I would love suggestions on the best exercises for toning and some muscle building. Funny how food is no longer an issue but now working out is. I hadn't had a food dream in days till last night. Weird how they keep coming back. Still looking forward to a beer and paleo chocolate chip cookies for my birthday just a week after we finish the whole30. Oh and since I cut out coffee and nuts this whole time too, I'm looking forward to smelling my coffee brewing in the morning. Not going back to drinking as much as I was, only one cup a day and hopefully nuts are easily brought back into my diet. Only time will tell. Have a great day 19 everyone!

Good morning all!  The cold weather and threat of icy roads delayed school this morning so I got to sleep in a little.  Yay!  Too bad my kids didn't get the message.  My 5 year old was up at 7 and woke up the one year old.  So much for that!  Lol!  My headache went away yesterday afternoon/evening, but came back with a vengeance this morning.  It is *that* time, so I'm wondering if it has anything to do with that.  I am also feeling bigger today.  Not necessarily swollen, but like my clothes are fitting tighter than they were last week.  I know I haven't gone off plan, so I'm kind of wondering what's up with that.  Shouldn't at this point things be pretty leveled out?  I was feeling so good and now it is like it is all turned upside down again. 

Good morning all!  The cold weather and threat of icy roads delayed school this morning so I got to sleep in a little.  Yay!  Too bad my kids didn't get the message.  My 5 year old was up at 7 and woke up the one year old.  So much for that!  Lol!  My headache went away yesterday afternoon/evening, but came back with a vengeance this morning.  It is *that* time, so I'm wondering if it has anything to do with that.  I am also feeling bigger today.  Not necessarily swollen, but like my clothes are fitting tighter than they were last week.  I know I haven't gone off plan, so I'm kind of wondering what's up with that.  Shouldn't at this point things be pretty leveled out?  I was feeling so good and now it is like it is all turned upside down again. 

*that* time likely has a lot to do with it. :)  Incorporating carb-dense vegetables daily and staying well hydrated should help.

Carb-dense vegetables include sweet potato, winter squash, jicama, beets, carrots, plantains, rutabaga and turnips.

Drink water, in the amount of at least half your body weight in ounces, daily.

Can y'all believe tomorrow will be Day 20 for most of us?!?! So excited. All this time I haven't had a food dream till last night. I was trying to convince someone that these little pastry puffs had a "nutella" like chocolate on the inside so I took a bite to show her. As soon as I took the bite, I was like OH NO, I can't have this. It was weird. And this is my 2nd Whole30 but I've never had a food dream! Hopefully I don't have anymore. And I swear, one of my coworkers thinks he's going to make me fall off the wagon. He's brought donuts everday! But I'm stone cold on this Whole30 path!

As far as Tiger Blood. I feel it! It fades around 7pm though. Hahaha. I guess my body is ready to call it a night at that moment but I'm wide eyed and bushy tailed for most of the day. My workouts feel better. My recovery is so much better. Although cooking can still be a chore, it's not so bad. And I'm not letting myself stress out over it. I'm doing this for a better me and if that's what it takes so be it. It's better than sitting in a drive thru waiting for junk. Then sitting on the couch doing nothing.

High Five to everyone, with the ups and downs, with the do-overs, with the extra days tacked on! This is no EASY task at hand. Keep chugging along. I hope everyone is learning from their experiences :)

Started a new workout today. Doing well. Juicing the multitude of lemons & oranges from my trees( freeze the juice in ice cube trays to save for later use)

Also trying out some recipes for a Super Bowl party. Today making plantain chips & sweet potato hummus.

Yesterday I was telling someone about W30, & they asked me how I could do just a limiting boring diet. I think I have eaten better on this program than I ever have. Finding healthy recipes made from scratch, not just from a drive thru or out of a box.

I've learned so much on this program. I will be taking a trip in February where I will have very little control over my food (relatives that don't understand & won't change). I have plans to do the best I can, but plan to do another W30 after I return. I can see where I can continue to learn & tweak things to do better.

Congrats to the J6er's. we've hung in this far- we can finish strong.

Have a great weekend!!!

Stephanie, you reminded me that I had a food dream last night!

I was traveling, and I stopped for food at McDonald's for some reason, and I got a soda and a cheeseburger (even though I was on the W30 even in my dream). I had the food on the seat beside me and was thinking, I can't eat this! Then I took a drink of the soda, wanted to face palm, then ate the cheeseburger because I'd already ruined the W30. :blink:

Maybe it was anxiety about food for my road trip today. I've got a 7 hour trip this evening to see my husband, and I know that fast food places are all out. (To combat this, I made extra breakfast this morning -- had lots of sausage and veg to use up -- and packed it on ice with some sparking waters and fruit for dinner tonight.)

Maybe there is something about last night.  I've only had one "food dream" in the beginning, but out of the blue last night I dreamt I ate Chocolate Ice Cream.    Here is the thing, I don't even like it.   If someone offered it to me before Whole30 I still would have said no thank you.    Crazy that so many of us had a "Food dream" last night.   

Paleo Gardener - Where did you find the sweet potato hummus recipe?  Thanks sounds good!

Archived