January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For my health, I want this to be a permanent change. But my family is standing in my way. My husband continues to have all kinds of sweets, Chinese food, fast food, sodas in the house at every turn. He says he is supportive, "but I just can't remember what you can eat." Last night he was headed to store to pick up dinner. I suggested steaks. He came home with steak dinners from a restaurant. I couldn't eat anything. The salad had cheese. It was a white potatoe. And no idea how the steak or shrimp were cooked (seasonings or oils). I don't want to fight. And I don't know how to change my life if he isn't helping.

Now my sister in law is on her way from out of town. We rarely see her. She doesn't know about the plan. She texted she's bringing margaritas. I don't want the food and alcohol issue stand I. The way if a good time.

Feeling broken.

@Tracy,

I commend you on your ability to get this far and totally understand your plight I've had family in town twice during the last two weeks and big celebrations. None of which is Whole 30 compliant. It's a definite struggle. BUT in process if making this I can have for some of these events, other family is starting to enjoy my food. In fact I almost wept when I came home and found my premade/pre rationed egg frittata had disappeared and I had to scramble for something to eat. I spent all last Sat in the kitchen and half the food went home with family members who decided they liked what I was making. Ugh.

So, I can't tell you what will work for you, but I can cheer you on and say hang in there. The only good time you'll be ruining if you "splurge" is your own!!!

Good strength!

@physibeth- you mentioned in an earlier post that larabars were not post w/o compliant. You stated we should have a protein and fat for that post w/o. But I thought the ISWF and template shows we want a carb and protein and to avoid fat? Can you please clarify.

They are not pre or post workout compliant because they have carbs that you shouldn't have before and fat you shouldn't have after. You are right about what the template says. If you see the post where I wasn't clear please send me the link and I'll fix it.

In general you should be avoiding larabars as much as possible as they are not really in the spirit of whole30 but are ok for emergency foods.

For my health, I want this to be a permanent change. But my family is standing in my way. My husband continues to have all kinds of sweets, Chinese food, fast food, sodas in the house at every turn. He says he is supportive, "but I just can't remember what you can eat." Last night he was headed to store to pick up dinner. I suggested steaks. He came home with steak dinners from a restaurant. I couldn't eat anything. The salad had cheese. It was a white potatoe. And no idea how the steak or shrimp were cooked (seasonings or oils). I don't want to fight. And I don't know how to change my life if he isn't helping.

Now my sister in law is on her way from out of town. We rarely see her. She doesn't know about the plan. She texted she's bringing margaritas. I don't want the food and alcohol issue stand I. The way if a good time.

Feeling broken.

Stand your ground because you are worth it! This is the time to take total control of your food. Educate your husband as best you can by posting the meal template and the rules on the fridge or somewhere else he will see it. Make sure if a restaurant is involved that you have a list of questions ready. You don't have to fight with him to make him understand just be patient with him and be willing to do your own thing if you need to. 

I am so tired tonight , early to bed. I tried harder to get the fat portion today, going with avocado , seems the oil or butter, you fry up your veggies with doesn't really count. I also love the mayo, hoping that counts as fat.

Had to go to a party for a 100 year old gentleman, today. I avoided the food table and said no to cupcakes being passed around. Love it

Have a good evening

Feeling broken.

hmmmm...tough one not wanting to be the party pooper...I totally get it!! Well you can either roll with it and strategic(ly) plan accordingly and still remain on track...I have found honesty in these situations are always the best policy. OR Just play "stupid" and cheerful...have your W30 plan...and casually mention..oh no thanks I'm gonna have xyz instead. Focus on the fun not the food...you may also find most are pretty curious about a food plan like W30...they will either admire your furtive...or say eh she's nuts.

Re hubby...Would he read ISWF?? Let him know how important it is for YOU that HE understands WHAT exactly you are trying to accomplish...and how he can really support you by learning what YOU already know...??? Just a suggestion...

Well lets keep you whole...NOT broken!!!   :D 

Grandma Carolyn

OK gang Day 14 coming to a close for me...phew.  :P A few accomplishments that have taken place over the past 2 weeks (started 1/5)

1.) I ate my dinner tonight like a civilized human being...cleared the clutter of the kitchen table...seems I used it for ANYTHING but sitting down to eat...even dimed the lights and ate by candle light...and enjoyed every yummy bite...yay

2) Floss every day (althought I think I missed one day).

3) Started putting myself to bed ON TIME and getting up to take all 3 of my dogs for a walk then go for a run...super yay!!! :D 

4) My house is tidy...and the proper foods are in it...got rid of all the non W30 stuff.

5) I feel better, less depressed, reaching out to others...and getting a hold on my behavior (cause we all know HOW to eat..its closer to WHAT is eating US??) and learning to balance my stress...work, school, per-diem, house...ya know life stuff!!

6) Thank God for the chance to finally do it right THIS time!!!

7) Oh I almost forgot I turned off that darn Hallmark Movie Channel...good grief...I clocked in WAY too many hours that are human(ly) beneficial or advisablel!! (Not kidding)

8) Thankful for this Forum...and all of your support. This really is a lifestyle...not a temporary fad!!

Rock on all!!

Grandma Carolyn!!!

hi everyone :)

I admit to being a total lurker, and I'm sad to say that I haven't read nearly as much as I've wanted to on this thread. What I have read has been great though!

I don't know if it's just me, but I'm in a total funk. anyone have any encouragement for the almost halfway mark? I can totally see why some people give up at this point. I didn't think retraining my brain would be so DIFFICULT; the wide-eyed naivety of a first timer, I guess!

Encouragement is welcome!

hayley

@ Tracey - I'm so sorry that you're not getting the encouragement you deserve at home.  Keep coming back here.  We support you and understand what you're trying to achieve!

@ Hayley - Yes, I'm in that funk, too!  I read in the revised timeline that days 12-15 are hard because your brain tries to trick you into going back to your old habits.  Mine is definitely working on it!  From the beginning, I've felt pretty satiated and haven't felt the need to snack, but the past few days I've really felt almost a compulsion to snack or treat myself with "dessert".  At first, I thought it was because I had some dried prunes to help with my digestive problems, but now I think that just compounded this phase of the plan.  I am trying to remind myself that this is the hard work that will help change these habits for good.  I've had more fruit lately, but I'm going to cut that out tomorrow and quit the snacking.

I am in a funk too. My boyfriend and I went out to dinner, he had pizza and beer and I had a crappy salad (no goat cheese no candied walnuts, no cranberries NO BEER) at first he was all "who's gonna know? you made it this far, have some beer"  I told him that he needed to be supportive of me, and that I did make it this far and I'm halfway done. He changed his tune and said he wont try to derail me, although he keeps talking about "when I'm back on the sauce " :)

I wanted to cheat and quit so bad!, but I knew that I would feel worse having quit, so I'm sticking to it!

We were shopping and that salad was NOT enough, no protein, so we stopped at whole foods and I got anothersalad, this time with lots of grilled chicken on it. And I finally found that darn sunbutter with no added sugars! Win!

I know that I did not eat enough today and I currently have a stomach ache, but things just didnt go as planned for dinner. Oh well. I stayed compliant

Thank you so much for the kind comments. I truly didn't know what I was going to do when we headed out. But...

Apparently hubby had said something to his mom before we got there for dinner. So I guess he told them I was on a "diet". While they ate soup, salad and breadsticks - I ate plain salad. Hubby did ask why I didn't eat the soup - beans and pasta for starters- but that was the only thing that was said. I didn't even have to explain what it was. And sis in law handled the no alcohol without any questions.

Once home I had some protein. Just enough to get by. No need to make myself sick eating late.

I'm grateful he tried to smooth it over. I'll take all the advice and bring food with me tomorrow.

Thank you all so much. I guess I have a bit of the funk that's going around. :)

Here's the exact post....

GFChris

Posted Yesterday, 06:04 AM
GFChris

Whole9 Moderator

• photo-thumb-28123.jpg?_r=0
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 1,797 posts
  • LocationNew England, USA

jesmarie, on 16 Jan 2014 - 11:52 PM, said:snapback.png

Breakfast: 3 egg muffins (zucchini, chicken sausage), avocado, banana

Lunch: shrimp stir fry, apple, sunflower seed butter

Post-workout: cashew cookie larabar

Dinner: chicken caesar with spinach, pistachios

2 hour dance rehearsal 

just checking in 

Did lunch have 1-3 cups of vegetables? Unclear to me.

Larabar doesn't fit the template for a post workout snack.  Should be a protein and optional fat.  Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30, and don't include fruit in a pre or post workout snack.

Here's the exact post....

jesmarie, on 16 Jan 2014 - 11:52 PM, said:snapback.png

Did lunch have 1-3 cups of vegetables? Unclear to me.

Larabar doesn't fit the template for a post workout snack.  Should be a protein and optional fat.  Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30, and don't include fruit in a pre or post workout snack.

Whoops - my mistake. Post WO should be protein and carb, with little to no fat. I corrected my original post. So sorry for the confusion!

In either case the Larabar is not compliant for a pre or post WO because (1) no fruit in pre or post WO and (2)

not post because of the fat from nuts and (3) Larabars are emergency food only on a Whole30.

As an aside, instead of copying and pasting the entire text of a post, each post has a unique link and you can use that instead. To obtain a post's link, look at the upper right corner in the grey bar of the post for a number beginning with a hashtag.  For example, this post is #767.  If you click on that number, that will open a window with the link directly to the post.  You can then copy and paste the link from the browser to wherever you want to refer to it.

hi everyone :)

I admit to being a total lurker, and I'm sad to say that I haven't read nearly as much as I've wanted to on this thread. What I have read has been great though!

I don't know if it's just me, but I'm in a total funk. anyone have any encouragement for the almost halfway mark? I can totally see why some people give up at this point. I didn't think retraining my brain would be so DIFFICULT; the wide-eyed naivety of a first timer, I guess!

Encouragement is welcome!

hayley

Keep reading and keep reaching out...brain retraining occurs every time you make a better choice...sorta like meditation...the effects take time but can certainly make a difference. You are taking care of your body and brain...be kind to yourself...you are in this for the long haul. Think of the long term benefits for your body and brain if you take REALLY good care of it now...the possibilities are ENDLESS. It took me many many starts and re-starts to get this brain on the right track...hang tough girl...you CAN and WILL do this!!!

Smile you deserve it!!! Journal your progress...and later you can reflect on what you learned and how you have grown.  :P yay!!!

Have an awesome day!!!

Grandma Carolyn

Any advice that helped u guys out

I'm laughing because my first response was sure...about 20 years of learning and re-learning from my mistakes. Seriously...it is a journey...as I have said to myself progress NOT perfection. Start with one thing...and build on that. Read...learn...be curious...try new things...reach out to others...listen to your body and try not to take yourself too seriously...a healthy dose of humor goes a very long way... :P You will get there..in time...in time as long as you keep dusting yourself off. 

I have found on my toughest days...weeks...months...(you get the idea) I literally have to take things one minute at a time...eventually it passes..and things get better (albeit glacial speed  :P )

Hang tough!!

You are worth it!!! yay!!!! :P

Grandma Carolyn

Yesterday was better than the previous 2 days--had delicious food and found a new love: kombucha! It tasted like ginger ale. I was so so so happy. 

I have definitely been in a funk too at the end of the week.Missing foods. Feeling sad about it. Getting cranky about it. My husband is excited for me to get back to "normal" personality-wise. Thankfully I am stubborn. I am not going to cheat, no matter how miserable I feel.

A big factor in my eating behaviour has been depression and low self worth. If these are things that you deal with even in a mild form, reach out . I have read, read and read as I am not a people person, but I have a few close family and friends who are there for me. Letting go of past garbage is very important, get mindful. This moment is all there is, past is gone, future hasn't arrived yet . What you do in this moment defines your future. The repetition of the whole 30 helps to reinforce the good habits, my confidence has increased and that goes a long way to ending the binges from feeling unworthy.

Archived