January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

I am so tired tonight , early to bed. I tried harder to get the fat portion today, going with avocado , seems the oil or butter, you fry up your veggies with doesn't really count. I also love the mayo, hoping that counts as fat.

Had to go to a party for a 100 year old gentleman, today. I avoided the food table and said no to cupcakes being passed around. Love it

Have a good evening

Just to clarify you mean ghee not butter right? Mayo totally counts as a fat. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay for Kt cat, Tracy, Cattailmama, xine23 for staying strong.it's worth it & you are worth the effort.

I bought Well Fed yesterday & have decided to cook my way through this & the recipes in ISWF. I am trying to broaden my horizons with food. Eat well & HEALTHY. Brining a chicken today for first time & making pulled pork w paleo slaw tomorrow. Big enough to last the week.

Hang in there everyone- we're almost at the halfway point(can't turn back now). Have a good Sunday!!

Day 10 finished!:)

The weekend was really nice and we got lots of things accomplished.

I made the chocolate chili from Well Fed and it is really delicious!!!

What I really missed this weekend was a glas of wine. I rarely drink alcohol, but love a glass of white wine on Friday night!

Today was an interesting day.   I ran a 1/2 marathon and the only thing that hurt my time was a knee issue at mile 9.  Was worried that it would be hard because of Whole 30, but I think it helped more.   Usually I take the days before as an excuse to eat a bunch of carbs.  This time I focused on Sweet potatoes, Spaghetti squash and Zucchini noodles.   During the runs I would usually have Sport Beans and Gatorade.    This year just water and a Mamma Chia pouch.   Post race always included a free beer and pretzels.   This year I stuck with Coconut Water.   Not a fan, but I needed some way to re-hydrate.    Usually I then spend the day rewarding myself with pancakes or french toast and bacon and later pizza.    This year an omelette with turkey, mushrooms, tomato and avocado.    Tonight will be leftover spaghetti squash bake.    I thought it would be a lot harder, but surprisingly I have been able  to make it through 14 days.   I guess I'm fortunate that I'm single so I can control what is in my fridge/pantry.     Luckily I have tomorrow off from work so I can food prep and enjoy the rest of today on the couch.  : )

Keep up the great work everyone.  Day 30 will be here before we know it!   

Hi All! I'm still hanging in there! Made it through coffee hour at church with my delicious paleo lunch: Tuna Waldorf Salad from Well Fed, Jicama Fries, also from WF, and red pepper strips and Romaine lettuce "cups." Yum! Black coffee.

I'm on Day 5 today and feeling strong and healthy. I'm reading a lot on the Internet about the Paleo diet and am learning that it is more diverse than I first realized. It looks like ISWF is a very strict program, which is great, because it eliminates all of the questionable foods. I guess people can reintroduce those foods after their Whole30. I stopped reading the book at the chapter that talks about reintroducing foods, because I wasn't there yet in my plan.

Last night I had some problems with my bingeing behavior: After my 3rd meal at a friend's house (I brought my own food), I came home and felt like I could eat everything in sight. I stuck with compliant foods, but still, I wasn't hungry and knew that I was still bingeing. It's really hard (read "it never happens") to catch myself before I start bingeing. I know I need to stop and ask myself if I'm truly hungry, or I need something else: a phone call to a friend, coming here and reading/writing, get busy with a project, etc. Anyway, I just want to be completely honest about what happened because I know the protocol in ITWF is that we are to eat 3 meals a day with no snacks.

I also have a question about dried fruits. Are they allowed? It seems like they're way too high in sugar, but I just thought to ask.

Hope you're all having a wonderful day!

~Lara

Hi All! I'm still hanging in there! Made it through coffee hour at church with my delicious paleo lunch: Tuna Waldorf Salad from Well Fed, Jicama Fries, also from WF, and red pepper strips and Romaine lettuce "cups." Yum! Black coffee.

I'm on Day 5 today and feeling strong and healthy. I'm reading a lot on the Internet about the Paleo diet and am learning that it is more diverse than I first realized. It looks like ISWF is a very strict program, which is great, because it eliminates all of the questionable foods. I guess people can reintroduce those foods after their Whole30. I stopped reading the book at the chapter that talks about reintroducing foods, because I wasn't there yet in my plan.

Last night I had some problems with my bingeing behavior: After my 3rd meal at a friend's house (I brought my own food), I came home and felt like I could eat everything in sight. I stuck with compliant foods, but still, I wasn't hungry and knew that I was still bingeing. It's really hard (read "it never happens") to catch myself before I start bingeing. I know I need to stop and ask myself if I'm truly hungry, or I need something else: a phone call to a friend, coming here and reading/writing, get busy with a project, etc. Anyway, I just want to be completely honest about what happened because I know the protocol in ITWF is that we are to eat 3 meals a day with no snacks.

I also have a question about dried fruits. Are they allowed? It seems like they're way too high in sugar, but I just thought to ask.

~Lara

Dried fruits are allowed on a limited basis, as they can be sugar bombs. Read labels: some are packaged with sugar and/or sulfur dioxide, making them non-compliant.

~Lara

Keep up the great work! You are using the tools...yay!!  :D 

Lara, when you came home and wanted to eat everything , do you have an idea what the root cause of that might have been. Maybe you were overstimulated from your visit or is there something that made you uncomfortable. I am speaking from experience, my problem is thinking I said the wrong thing or i made a fool of myself. I'm not saying you have my problems but there might be a trigger that you could identify.

We'll get through this,

Take care

Hi everyone! I've been reading how everyone is going but haven't had time to post anything for a while! It's really encouraging to hear how you're dealing with stuff that's cropping up! It's answered lots of my own concerns, so good to be doing this with others!

We had to go out on Saturday. I was a bit nervous! I made prosciutto frittata muffins for breakfast with a takeaway coconut coffee (which my husband LOVES, I don't think there's any going back with that one ;P). I thought we'd brave buying lunch. We live near Adelaide, South Australia, and we thought we'd invite my sil and catch up with her. She is very health conscious so we got her to pick the lunch place! Was able to buy a delicious whole30 lunch and I was very excited when we passed a cafe that had coconut milk as a coffee option! Made my day!! We also found a supermarket in the same area packed with healthy, organic, no preservative options! They didn't have a healthfood section because it was so integrated through the entire shop! I spent lots of money in there :D

My only concern was that no matter how many questions you ask, you can't be 100% sure that there isn't something you've missed and accidentally not been compliant when you're out! This is part of my unhealthy relationship with food, I'm a bit all or nothing! Just that feeling of maybe having let something slip through unintentionally was enough in the evening to make me consider chucking the plan & eating whatever!! I have had to do lots of self talk to remind myself of the big effort I went to to stay compliant and to be proud of that! After years of dieting, I find it difficult to not feel guilty about my food choices, especially when I'm following a plan! Part of doing the whole30 for me is to work on that! I didn't go off plan, regardless of my battle with my brain, so I'm feeling proud of that too :D This time, anyway. I'm studying up on the off-roading template, when this is over I want to enjoy food while also knowing I'm doing the best for my health!

Checking in on Day 14.  I made chocolate chili too, and it was yummy.  Had raw carrots, broccoli slaw, and avocado with it.  I'm also crockpotting a beef roast.  I finally looked at Clothes Make the Girl and I love it.  Went shopping at Target (I almost never go there), and found out they have grass-fed beef, compliant bacon and chicken sausage.  I was so delighted with everything I found there that I applied for a "red card" so I'll get a 5% discount every time I shop.  My stomach has hurt all day, and I'm really wondering what's going on?  Why did it feel good for a week or so and now I'm in pain again.  It's not excruciating pain, but I'm definitely aware of it pretty much all the time.  No fun.  No fun at all.  Did have more energy today though, which was very welcome.  We had a beautiful day here -- sunny and 60 degrees.  Yes, I did say 60 degrees!!

Lara, when you came home and wanted to eat everything , do you have an idea what the root cause of that might have been. Maybe you were overstimulated from your visit or is there something that made you uncomfortable. I am speaking from experience, my problem is thinking I said the wrong thing or i made a fool of myself. I'm not saying you have my problems but there might be a trigger that you could identify.

We'll get through this,

Take care

I can relate to this very well. Yes, there could have been an underlying reason for my "hunger." Thank you for pointing that out so I can tune in more when/if it happens again. :)

The "funk" I'm in doesn't make me feel sad or deprived, but a little weird. It's like I'm in a parallel universe where foods others (including the three I live with) consume are not food for me. That made today's zombie message particularly funny. I'm sure the weirdness will pass until this way of eating is my new normal. Until then, I really appreciate the humor and clarity about clean eating with encouragement to think situations through on our own this program provides. And it's good to know others are working the program out, too. Happy second half!

Today was an interesting day.   I ran a 1/2 marathon and the only thing that hurt my time was a knee issue at mile 9.  Was worried that it would be hard because of Whole 30, but I think it helped more.   Usually I take the days before as an excuse to eat a bunch of carbs.  This time I focused on Sweet potatoes, Spaghetti squash and Zucchini noodles.   During the runs I would usually have Sport Beans and Gatorade.    This year just water and a Mamma Chia pouch.   Post race always included a free beer and pretzels.   This year I stuck with Coconut Water.   Not a fan, but I needed some way to re-hydrate.    Usually I then spend the day rewarding myself with pancakes or french toast and bacon and later pizza.    This year an omelette with turkey, mushrooms, tomato and avocado.    Tonight will be leftover spaghetti squash bake.    I thought it would be a lot harder, but surprisingly I have been able  to make it through 14 days.   I guess I'm fortunate that I'm single so I can control what is in my fridge/pantry.     Luckily I have tomorrow off from work so I can food prep and enjoy the rest of today on the couch.  : )

Keep up the great work everyone.  Day 30 will be here before we know it!   

So glad to hear that you were happy with your fueling for the race.  Sorry to hear about your knee.  It's always frustrating when you are so mentally prepared and some little body thing gives you problems.  Congratulations on your race and on sticking to the plan afterwards--those beers are always so delicious after a long run!  High five! 

Day 15 is here! Aaaand, we've reached the halfway mark. I'm still trucking along, staying compliant, and feeling good.

I'm still experiencing a little food weirdness, though, as I mentioned in my last post. I hope that this is something temporary because I'm really struggling. The other night, I made steamed asparagus for dinner. Normally, I'm totally good with asparagus, but something is off with me right now. After I steamed it, I left it in the bag for a few minutes, so it got a little extra soggy, which wasn't so awesome. It still tasted fine, though. I took too big of a bite and actually GAGGED at the table. It was ridiculous! My stomach is still turning thinking about it. I made the beef veggie soup again this weekend (which I LOVED last week), and I was feeling a little gaggy about that, too! It's just the weirdest thing. Same thing with the spaghetti squash. I love it, but for some reason, I can't handle it right now.

I'm also struggling with the amount of time I have to spend in the grocery store and in the kitchen. I know it's always going to require effort, but I just can't see me spending every single Sunday cooking from now til kingdom come.

Anywho, despite all that, I'm feeling great. My mind is clear, I'm not having headaches, and I can feel my body changing! This week, I'm especially thankful for sweet potatoes, bananas, and sparkling water. And this forum.  :)  Oh, and I discovered macadamia nuts, which are apparently foraged from freaking El Dorado for how expensive they are. They're yummy, though.

Onward to the second half!

So has anyone checked their Morton Iodized salt labels? or am I the only one still cooking with table salt??

It has dextrose (sugar!!!!) in it and shouldn't be used during the whole 30. Luckily I've only used to sparingly in cooking and use the sea salt grinder to season my dishes.

Gah! Last nite I had a dream about eating bread!, it was delicious and I felt a little guilty. 2 more weeks :/

Jan2014, on 19 Jan 2014 - 4:53 PM, said:

To Physibeth, the butter I use is ghee , it is a strange word to me.

It is a strange word, but I wanted to make sure I newbie didn't read it and think they could have non-clarified butter.

I totally understand, thank you for the reminder. I could easily be one of those newbies

Hope I copied and pasted right.

So has anyone checked their Morton Iodized salt labels? or am I the only one still cooking with table salt??

It has dextrose (sugar!!!!) in it and shouldn't be used during the whole 30. Luckily I've only used to sparingly in cooking and use the sea salt grinder to season my dishes.

Gah! Last nite I had a dream about eating bread!, it was delicious and I felt a little guilty. 2 more weeks :/

Ok, I'm about to have a panic attack. I think I may have Morton Iodized salt in my salt shaker, which I've been using this entire time (sparingly, but still). Will this mean a reset??? WTF!!

Jan2014, on 19 Jan 2014 - 4:53 PM, said:

To Physibeth, the butter I use is ghee , it is a strange word to me.

It is a strange word, but I wanted to make sure I newbie didn't read it and think they could have non-clarified butter.

I totally understand, thank you for the reminder. I could easily be one of those newbies

Hope I copied and pasted right.

If you want the quote box you can just hit the quote bottom in the lower right of the post and it will add it to a new post with the fancy box. :)

Ok, I'm about to have a panic attack. I think I may have Morton Iodized salt in my salt shaker, which I've been using this entire time (sparingly, but still). Will this mean a reset??? WTF!!

Nope, just stop using it and maybe think about replacing what is in your shaker.

Himalayan salt is great... my Trader Joe's carries it.  Sea salt is good too.  Always look at labels, it's really surprising how much sugar is added to everything!

Archived