Whole 30 starting Jan 1

Run4fun

Hello all!

Mayo was another fail, but SO CLOSE this time. I actually saw it rising up creamily like it is supposed to, but then when I started to pull the immersion blender up slowly, suddenly it all fell apart into goopdom. There was still actual mayo on the blades of the immersion blender, so I was SO CLOSE. SO VERY CLOSE. Fortunately I needed some salad dressing anyway.

So I put my immersion blender on the bottom of the jar and I don't move it until I see absolutely no change happening anymore...this gets about half the jar. Then I don't lift it I slightly tip it on an angle and wait until I stop seeing change. Then I turn the jar very slowly and wait until I stop seeing change. Then I slowly lift it up, still at an angle. You will get it you are very close. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To those of you who aren't doing  a W30 but who want to keep posting to keep their "off-roading in check" (as Jodea put it) ... if everyone is OK with it, why not just stay with this thread? The reason I say that is that my first W30 group fragmented because people were doing different stuff and I think we all got lost. We've started to get to know each other on this thread, and even if we are doing slightly different things we've all got basically the same goal ... so my suggestion is keep posting to this thread until you feel it really no longer applies (long posts about how delicious the brownies you just baked, for example, might be off topic :) ) ... Just a thought. I guess maybe exploring how difficult off-roading is (my experience so difficult that I'm not going there again!) might not fit ... but if you want to stay pretty tight to W30 eating while you are off-roading I don't see why we shouldn't stick together. Just a thought.

This is fine as long as people are not posting about their off-road eating. We like to keep the discussions in this part of the forum to Whole30 so that new comers reading the thread don't get confused. 

My suggestion is that you all create a thread in the post-w30 section for further group discussion. Even those of you continuing to do a w45 or w60 are still post w30. 

Day 19!!! Yay. 

Still with the flu, I had an AWFUL cough last night. Hubby actually went to check on the ingredients in the cough suppressant Mucinex to make sure it had no cornstarch, or any type of sugar, and ONLY after he confirmed, he offered it to me. That downed, and coughing gone, allowing me to sleep through the night.   

I was on a babysitting job yesterday, where I usually graze through the night on chips, jellybeans and keurig spice chai with milk, after driving by a fast food place for something to inhale. This time, I took my own food! The only thing I snacked on were dry roasted cashews.  I'm giving myself props for that.  ^_^

M1. 2 egg scramble with 2 slices of bacon, 1/2 cup onion.  2 cups of coffee with milk. 

M2.  Calamares al ajillo (Garlicky calamari) with spinach /greens salad, acorn squash

M3. Short ribs grilled by hubs, asparagus , mashed sweet potatoes with

I just made Well Fed mayonnaise for the first time using a hand/immersion blender. Seems the fact it came out perfect first time was pure beginner's luck!

Wherever the forum continues, I'll be there.

annabel - I'm on episode 5 of season 5... Don't know how we've avoided a spoiler so far!

Omg, I want to cheat so bad! Where did this come from??? Yesterday went so well. This morning the crabby bug bit me and I am in such a weird mood. I made some paleo cookies for the family a couple days ago and now they are calling to me. Why???

Last night I successfully navigated a night out at the bar to see a favorite blues artist of mine (thank you club soda). Then today, brunch out at one of my favorite restaurants with my family. Other than REALLY craving about everything on the desert tray (and the cheese tray), I managed. Prime rib, smoked salmon, and tons of salad with oil and vinegar the waiter was kind enough to bring me, since I had no idea what was in any of the dressings.

I am proud of myself for how well I'm doing, I'm feeling really good, I am experiencing a lot of the benefits this program touts...but honestly, at this point I am glad this is only for 30 days. I have no plans to go back to a SAD (played around with paleo for about 3 months before this Whole30), but the absolute ANGST about what might be in restaurant foods makes eating out way too stressful and I have a hard time enjoying myself when I am spending that much time worrying about my food. Those of you planning on doing this longer than 30 days have my kudos. I do plan on staying 100% compliant when eating at home and limiting my off roading when I'm out, but I cannot imagine being this strict long term.

Omg, I want to cheat so bad! Where did this come from??? Yesterday went so well. This morning the crabby bug bit me and I am in such a weird mood. I made some paleo cookies for the family a couple days ago and now they are calling to me. Why???

I feel this way on the weekends.  Less structure, more cravings.    Hopefully it will pass.  We got to go outside and play today which really helps.

Tiger blood has hit you guys. So this is what everyone was talking about. I. DID. EVERYTHING. TODAY. Seriously. Everything. For those of you in Middle Tennessee, if you went out and everything was already done, sorry, that was me. I hung a bunch of pictures in my house, which I have not done since I moved in two years ago, and I did stupid little dances a couple of times because I had so much spare energy. It! Was! Awesome!

Thanks to everyone for all the mayo tips! I look forward to trying again. I will try the water and Physibeth's tips for the immersion method. The hand whisking... see, no. Again, I totally respect that some of y'all love doing that and see it as the price one pays for awesome mayo, but I have this curve of effort vs. reward, and mayo is simply not awesome enough for me to fool with that. I like it fine, and I have missed it in tuna salad, but you know what also is good in tuna salad? Avocado. And you know what I have to do to get avocado? Slice it in half and squeeze it out. I feel the same way about chicken wings and barbeque ribs; too much effort for not enough food. Did I mention I am lazy? I am so, so lazy.

I still don't have any coconut. I ordered some online, but I forgot that tomorrow is a government holiday and so the mail will not run. However, I bought a pineapple this week, and it isn't ripe yet, so I turned it upside down in some tupperware, and by the time my coconut is here, the pineapple will be ripe, and I can have coconut and pineapple. WIN!

I made that chocolate chili everyone has been talking about from Well Fed. I was like, "This cannot be as good as everyone says it is, it has cocoa in it, that has to be weird.

I was wrong. It is a life-changing experience and it is delicious. I can't wait to try her recipe for paleo cottage pie.

I haven't craved anything food-related, but today I had to basically slap myself out of a massive desire to chew gum. I quit drinking soda a long time ago, and I have never really been a pancake fan (see: lazy), but I will admit to a very serious problem with chewing gum, to the point where it caused bruxism. For those of you who don't know what that is, it means I kept chewing and grinding my teeth in my sleep, and now I have no canines. Now I will NEVER be a vampire. (Seriously, they are ground flat; I wear a night guard.) I was hoping Whole 30 would help me kick the habit, and it has, but for some reason today my sugar dragon turned into a gum dragon. I told it to go pound sand, obviously, I didn't suffer through those first two weeks of feeling like a baby alien was about to pop out of my guts to screw it up NOW.

DAY TWENTY TOMORROW YOU GUYS, WHO IS EXCITED? I AM EXCITED.

We left town Friday morning so I've been absent. Catching up with these posts felt like catching up with good friends - and I wouldn't know any of you if I tripped over you on the sidewalk! Thank you to all the contributors who are keeping it real and being honest, even when the truth isn't so pretty. I have found this thread to be pretty cathartic.

I navigated some tough food situations at my mom's house this weekend and I BELIEVE that I stayed compliant. I ordered meatballs in tomato sauce at the pizza joint. I skipped my husband's birthday cake and didn't eat popcorn at the movies. I did, however, eat too much and I am afraid my sugar dragon has been knocking on the door. I have given into him (I somehow assume that he is male.) with dried figs and dates all the while being completely aware of this crummy, slippery slope.

My issue is that I am a perfectionist. And, no, this isn't false modesty; it's a real issue for me. If I can't do the whole30 perfectly, I can't do the whole30 month. This is the kind of all-in thinking that I am prone to. So for me, the whole30 is the large strokes: no alcohol, no dairy, no legumes, no obvious sugar, no wheat/gluten. I am not ignoring the minutiae, I do look at ingredients when possible but I also can't feed my perfectionist idiosyncrasy. I applaud all of you that have stayed true down to the smallest letter.

And because of this, I think I will extend this Whole30. I haven't gotten the most out of it possible. Going forward I will try to look at ingredients more closely without "feeding" my perfectionism bone. I have not cheated on the big points but I also haven't read the fine print on the labels often enough.

And thanks again to all of you in this group for the insight, encouragement and honesty!

Day 20! Omg!

Can't believe it! So happy to have a 72 this weekend, getting plenty of rest and play in. Took Cooper to the dog park yesterday and made steak and broccoli soup last night with one of my friends. Today I plan on getting a lot more chores done off my to do list, and study a bit.

I definitely agree that we should keep this thread going for as long as we can, it's nice to have a support group and it definitely is helping my whole 30 this time around.

Cheers everyone :)

I'm excited about day 20!  I'm another who doesn't plan to continue past the 30 days.  I was mostly paleo (although off-roading more than I want to during the holidays), and will return to a cleaned up, more committed paleo on Jan 31.  I haven't really liked any of the salad dressings I've tried to make. I can't have eggs so making mayo isn't happening (tried a vegan version that was a total fail).  So I want to be able to use a bottled dressing once in a while.  Plan to stay dairy free (allergy), grain free, legume free (for the most part, soy is sometimes hard to avoid), and mostly sugar free.  But I will eat some deli meats, and almond milk.  And I will probably reintroduce some intermittent fasting.

So if there's a post whole30 group for us, I'd like to still be part of that, since the accountability is so helpful.  And I only want to off-road when it's really, really worth it.

Not quite as energetic as yesterday, but I did go to the theater and do some set work and painting this afternoon, rather than sitting on the couch or napping, which is my usual Sunday afternoon.

We left town Friday morning so I've been absent. Catching up with these posts felt like catching up with good friends - and I wouldn't know any of you if I tripped over you on the sidewalk! Thank you to all the contributors who are keeping it real and being honest, even when the truth isn't so pretty. I have found this thread to be pretty cathartic.

I navigated some tough food situations at my mom's house this weekend and I BELIEVE that I stayed compliant. I ordered meatballs in tomato sauce at the pizza joint. I skipped my husband's birthday cake and didn't eat popcorn at the movies. I did, however, eat too much and I am afraid my sugar dragon has been knocking on the door. I have given into him (I somehow assume that he is male.) with dried figs and dates all the while being completely aware of this crummy, slippery slope.

My issue is that I am a perfectionist. And, no, this isn't false modesty; it's a real issue for me. If I can't do the whole30 perfectly, I can't do the whole30 month. This is the kind of all-in thinking that I am prone to. So for me, the whole30 is the large strokes: no alcohol, no dairy, no legumes, no obvious sugar, no wheat/gluten. I am not ignoring the minutiae, I do look at ingredients when possible but I also can't feed my perfectionist idiosyncrasy. I applaud all of you that have stayed true down to the smallest letter.

The perfectionist dragon lives at my house, too! I almost threw in the towel last weekend when I got some sweetened vinegar by mistake. Someone here encouraged me and I have kept going.  Sounds like you did a good job in what could have been a real victory for your perfectionist indiosyncrasy :)  

EAH, I totally get where you are coming from. I haven't done this perfectly either but I am not throwing in the towel over some sulfites in my lime juice! But the next time I went grocery shopping I bought fresh limes. Learning from my mistakes.

I called a friend when the cravings hit and she suggested I go for a walk. It was a perfect day for it. A couple of muddy spots on our country roads, but I am so glad I went! Then I came home and made rice cauliflower, pork sliders, and shepherd's pie for the fam.

Read several articles on Stupid Easy Paleo today and found some new recipes to try soon. Babies were really fussy tonight and kind of gassy. Trying to figure out if it was something I ate. I am really looking forward to weaning in a couple months!

Well, another day down. The past few days have brought very busy early mornings and I have had some trouble getting a good hearty breakfast in. I have resorted to chicken sausages today and yesterday, sauteed with veggies, but that plus the coconut milk/oil mixture blended into my coffee hasn't been enough to get me past 9 or 930 am. I do okay if I have a big plate of eggs (3) and veg and avocado and the coffees, with maybe a banana at 9. I have always struggled with my mornings and my blood sugar levels dipping super low even after eating a "normal" breakfast (ie an egg, ham, and cheese English muffin, lots of coffee with fat free creamer), if I ate at 630 am I would be great until all of a sudden my blood sugar was dipping so low by 8 am I couldn't see- while driving to work. (My vision blurs, like a strange combination of a concussion and getting high beamed or having camera flashes set off directly in my eye, Yikes). So its really important to me that I am able to find the balance between eating enough, and not eating too much, and eating the right combination of foods to keep that from happening. (;

Birthday party for my nephews today, I definitely should have packed some protein to nibble on, but otherwise I did fine, I just made myself a big plate of veggies, some melon, and water. I had an emergency little tupperware tub of cashews and coconut, which I dipped into also. I was starving by the time I finally got to eat something else, but I learned my lesson, eat first or bring more with me. Usually they at least do a tray of deli meats and they always buy the natural, premium meats, but this time they made pizzas. It got me giggling because my brother is paleo and he didn't have anything to eat aside from veggies either, haha.

While I did good with not cheating today (I didn't even think of it), I clearly need to work on some things, like getting so wrapped up in what my husband and kids need that I am not making sure I get my proper meals, and making sure I am getting enough.

Hey all... Doing well.  I am still keeping to my T25 workouts, eating on plan and focusing on good sleep.  I, like many, find it easier during the work week than on weekends.  The structure of a work day lends itself to regular 3 square meals.  On weekends, I have to push myself to have three meals. 

Tonight, the family went for / wanted burgers and fries.  We got them for my wife (had pountine too) and my two kids.  I made a big salad, some olives and had the rest or my leftover pork tenderloin from last week.  For me the biggest benefit of this program is the control it provides.  I have rules, I have no cravings and I am in control.  This is better than tiger blood, better than losing weight and better than less aches.  Control when it comes to food is invaluable. 

With that said.  All the benefits are grand.  I have not decided yet about how long I am doing my W?0 yet.  This is my fifth and I have had some epic fails doing off-roading from the program.  I guess I have some planning ahead to do.  I do know that continuing on is great but I cannot simply stop when a great offer arises.  I need a plan to take me post-W30 or I will crash and burn, hard.

Helen... for me, the biggest change is that I don't stress over the program anymore.  I simply do the program.  I make the food, follow the rules, read my labels and get on with life.  It is nice that my family (wife and two kids) simply know what I am going to and not going to eat.  In their own way, they support me and help me (without eating this way themselves).  However, I think my wife has made some indications that she may try it in the future.

Well, I am off to bed but I am looking forward to hitting the 20's and finishing out the first 30 days strong!

Cheers

DJ

I'm kind of glad it's Monday to be honest, I always feel a little off track on the weekends, too much free time I guess.  I totally messed up my 3 meals yesterday as I went for a run and then didn't feel great when I got back, so just had a bit of soup.  But then I wasn't hungry and got distracted with silly computer games and didn't have anything else till nearly 4:00, which made for a late dinner. 

Steak, cauliflower mash, green beans and carrots for dinner last night.  This time (after reading someone else's post here) I just blended the cauliflower with a bit of olive oil rather than coconut milk and liked it a lot better. Easier as well than following the Well Fed recipe.  I love following recipes and trying new things, but I don't want to be in the kitchen all night either.

Should only be in college for less than 2 hours today.  Unfortunately, I'm meant to be there from 11-12:45, which pushes my lunch back a bit later than I'd like.  Trying to always have some leftovers made up so that I only have to wait a few minutes to eat after I get home. 

(Even if I wanted to take a lunch, there's no place to eat other than an overcrowded canteen where you'd be lucky to get one of the maybe 20 tables or a few picnic tables outside.  Most people eat their sandwiches standing up outside the shop or while walking to class)  

Good Luck with Day 20 everyone!

---------

Jodea- If you're using smaller cage free eggs you might need 2 to make your mayo work. The eggs here tend to be quite a bit smaller, unless you specifically buy the large eggs.  As for Breaking Bad, only one or two people I'm in school with have seen the programme and everyone would rather discuss The Only Way is Essex, Benefits Street, the soaps, or the constant range of celebrity drivel that's on the telly.

Alliath- If you want to save yourself a lot of faff, serve the mince and mash separately on your plate and don't bother with with the layering in a dish and baking in the oven. If you've had proper cottage pie, you might be a bit disappointed with the recipe.  My husband didn't like it when I called it cottage pie six months ago, but thought it was lush when it was just mince and mashed cauliflower.  (He has problems when a dish doesn't meet his expectations, stew has to be a certain consistency or it's not stew sort of things)

EAH- The stress of making sure that everything is 100% perfect can't be good for any of us.  I reckon that even being nearly 100% compliant has to be better than out of control wheat, dairy and sugar eating.

Djoyce- I love that subsequent Whole 30s is the reduced stress about what is and isn't compliant. 

I agree Dj! The whole 30 gives me so much self control around foods, I'm no longer craving non compliant foods, like pizza, ice cream and popcorn. And I don't even feel left out when everyone at work is eating birthday cake or cracked up sugar smoothies ;). I wouldn't trade how I feel now for one measly slice of birthday cake.

When a diet makes you feel this good you know it's a keeper and I certainly plan on eating this way for good. I only plan on off roading during the holidays and the occasional treat.

Sounds like you all are up for come kind of continuation thread ... I'll start a thread in the post-W30 section on the 31st and will post a link to it here so you can all find it. Sound OK?

Not much to report here ... have a sick boy today so have one more ball to juggle than usual. Can't believe we are on day 20!

Hey MyKidsTeacher, I wont be going past 30 days this time either. My birthday is early feb and we always do cake and ice cream so I might start another whole 30 after that.

Im tired today too. I don't know if its viral or what, but I don't feel great. I have colitis and its just so hard to understand whats going on in my body sometimes, flare ups really throw me. Ive kind of gone off road a little bit with the meal plan and snacking in between meals. Im going to refocus and spend this week getting back on track. Ive kept my meals really simple and that helped early on. I have a few days off work so I can hopefully do a bit of batch cooking.

So, as far as things that I don't seem to handle very well, nuts, coconut and something in my tomato sauce (spaghetti bol for the brits here). Ive never noticed a reaction except to feel a little icky in the tummy department, and Ive lived in denial bc its one of my favouritest things ever, but that skin rash on my face was definitely from the spaggy bol sauce. pants... I love my spaggy bol. Nevermind. Also, coffee. Another cherished thing ... it wrecks my stomach. Again, Ive lived in denial about it for ...decades probably, not really but Ive just gotta accept that I cant have it ...at least not every single day. Anyway, Im doing a little shop to get some supplies and Im doing some fun recipes. Im checking out my pinterest W30 board and Im a gonna cook me up something yummy.

Breakfast today was fried up meatloaf with broccoli and butternut squash, yum, seriously it was yummy with a bit of lemon juice. mmm. good stuff. I have to make kids a separate meal of something creative with the left over chicken curry and rice... adding veggies and stir frying it all together. They'll love it. Ill probably have another portion of my meatloaf concoction.

laters... 

Control when it comes to food is invaluable. 

I so agree with this. I'm the type that needs some level of control, and in the past it has led to some really disordered thinking. This allows me to have control while not doing things like skipping meals or otherwise treating myself badly.

Good morning!

I'm in a phenomenal mood, despite my beloved Patriots not showing last night. 

I have an appointment at a new gym at 5 today. One that comes highly recommended by friends. So that's exciting. 

I feel great. I cut avocado out the last few days and it has made a huge difference in my gut. Not sure why it's bothering me, but I'm glad I figured it out.

I wasn't great with my meals this weekend. Not that I ate anything bad, but that both days I only ate 2 meals. Saturday I got stuck in the freak snow storm (seriously, it even caught the meteorologists by surprise) and was hours later getting home than I had planned. But I wasn't hungry so something's working ok there. 

Then yesterday I had breakfast, went to the gym, ran errands, came home and cooked for the game. By the time I realized I hadn't had lunch it was game-food time which was dinner. 

And guys... GUYS! Take a crock pot, toss in a bunch of frozen chicken breasts (don't bother thawing), some salt, pepper, and garlic powder and cook on low for 8 hours. Best pulled chicken ever. Super easy, and can be used for anything! I have it today for lunch on top of a salad. :)

Happy Day 20!  This past weekend was a real challenge for me since I was out of town staying with relatives.  I had to pass up wedding cake, pie, beer, wine, and my dad's meatloaf, which is my favorite.  My meals were all over the place because of traveling.  I stayed compliant, but I have to say, it was hard. The sugar cravings are finally hitting me but it really only happens when there is some actual cake or pie in my presence.  I'm starting to really get excited for day 31 when I can get off this thing.  I'm trying to stay positive but the restriction is starting to get to me. Ugh.  10 more days.

Good morning!

I'm in a phenomenal mood, despite my beloved Patriots not showing last night. 

Sarah - not a good showing at all!  Well, there is always next year!

HurricaneThor - it sounds like you had quite a lot of temptation this weekend!  Well done for saying no!  That would certainly have been a lot to contend with all at once - so many yummy choices all at once - and for me cake frosting is a gateway food to a binge!  lol  Hang in there - only 10 more days to go!

So, checking in and catching up with forum posts.  I LOVE reading everyone's food suggestions and seeing that I am not alone in  my daily struggles!  Overall, things are going well - day 20 already!?!?!?!  The last 20 days seem to have flown by!  I am lucky that my family is very supportive and eats what I cook.  They still have their snacks and bread, etc. but there has been really no complaining.  I think my husband is just appreciative of all of the home cooked meals.  I confess that with our busy schedules, we used to order take out way too frequently.  

I noted that there were several people who commented about going to parties with alcohol or friends who complained that you weren't drinking.  I encountered that too with a friend of mine.  We went to a bonfire, and I wish I had a dollar for every time she mentioned the fact that I wasn't drinking with her.  I did feel a little funny, but I think it was more the social aspect of what do you do with your hands when they aren't holding a drink!  lol  

I did have one restaurant moment yesterday.  We went to a place where none of their nutrition info is available, and so I asked questions and ordered a steak with no marinade, etc.  The waiter came back with the manager to let me know that they had no unmarinated steak so I had to start from square one.  The waiter was really amazing, as was my family, but my cheeks were flaming hot.  This is something that I have always struggled with - worry about what other people are thinking, and it did make me think twice about whether or not I would go to a restaurant unprepared again.  In the end, my food was wonderful, so really I should just get over myself!  

I want to second the idea I read in here for having hash for breakfast.  I made the sweet potato hash in the ISWF recipe section, and it was delicious!  The whole family loved it.  By the way, where have sweet potatoes been my whole life??  hahahaha  They are wonderful, and I'm not sure why I never cooked them before!

Best to all as we make our way toward the end of the 30!

Day 20 - still doing great but still having bizarre dreams about food. Last night's dream was about eating flatbread. I haven't eaten any bread for about a year, so I don't know where that came from.

Had a good mix of veggies sautéed in coconut oil, onions, bell pepper, mushrooms and finished with spinach. Yum. It's better with a sweet onion in my opinion. I added some mixed spices garlic) and a bit of salt.

I'll probably continue after the 30 days, as it keeps me from giving in to a binge.

Well, another day down. The past few days have brought very busy early mornings and I have had some trouble getting a good hearty breakfast in. I have resorted to chicken sausages today and yesterday, sauteed with veggies, but that plus the coconut milk/oil mixture blended into my coffee hasn't been enough to get me past 9 or 930 am. I do okay if I have a big plate of eggs (3) and veg and avocado and the coffees, with maybe a banana at 9. I have always struggled with my mornings and my blood sugar levels dipping super low even after eating a "normal" breakfast (ie an egg, ham, and cheese English muffin, lots of coffee with fat free creamer), if I ate at 630 am I would be great until all of a sudden my blood sugar was dipping so low by 8 am I couldn't see- while driving to work. (My vision blurs, like a strange combination of a concussion and getting high beamed or having camera flashes set off directly in my eye, Yikes). So its really important to me that I am able to find the balance between eating enough, and not eating too much, and eating the right combination of foods to keep that from happening. (;

Birthday party for my nephews today, I definitely should have packed some protein to nibble on, but otherwise I did fine, I just made myself a big plate of veggies, some melon, and water. I had an emergency little tupperware tub of cashews and coconut, which I dipped into also. I was starving by the time I finally got to eat something else, but I learned my lesson, eat first or bring more with me. Usually they at least do a tray of deli meats and they always buy the natural, premium meats, but this time they made pizzas. It got me giggling because my brother is paleo and he didn't have anything to eat aside from veggies either, haha.

While I did good with not cheating today (I didn't even think of it), I clearly need to work on some things, like getting so wrapped up in what my husband and kids need that I am not making sure I get my proper meals, and making sure I am getting enough.

Aren't you nursing? I thought we nursing mamas were allowed to snack in nuts and olives. Maybe that would hep tide you over?

Archived