Whole 30 starting Jan 1

Run4fun

I'm excited about day 20!  I'm another who doesn't plan to continue past the 30 days.  I was mostly paleo (although off-roading more than I want to during the holidays), and will return to a cleaned up, more committed paleo on Jan 31.  I haven't really liked any of the salad dressings I've tried to make. I can't have eggs so making mayo isn't happening (tried a vegan version that was a total fail).  So I want to be able to use a bottled dressing once in a while.  Plan to stay dairy free (allergy), grain free, legume free (for the most part, soy is sometimes hard to avoid), and mostly sugar free.  But I will eat some deli meats, and almond milk.

I could have written this! I'm with you here.

annabel - I know what you mean about tiny eggs. I've managed to find some big beauties through my local butcher. Proper eggs. I even get a double yolk once in a while! I know what you mean about peoples' TV habits. We rarely watch anything other than DVDs and, our guilty pleasure, Friends re-runs on Comedy Central!

Good couple of days here. Had AMAZING baked pork ribs with coleslaw and sweet potato wedges last night. Had some compliant chipotle paste I added. Yum! Almost food without brakes so it's a good job the ribs are all gone from the freezer stash now!

I made Nom Nom Paleo's broccoli soup for lunches this week - thumbs up from the boyf, I'm having my first taste tomorrow. We had another free meal at Wagamama tonight as a new one has opened near work and was doing a trial night. I had a salad side and a luscious prawn broth with coconut and lemongrass. They served it without the rice noodles.

Just sat down after another evening of DIY. We're renting our house out while we go travelling so are getting it in good shape to put on the market. It's been a tiring few days - hate DIY!

Not sure I've got tiger blood but definitely feeling more resilient.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just actually started doing some of the recipes I've booked marked.  Usually I was just cooking seperate items and then putting them together for a meal.  I tried a pork shoulder with apples & ginger in the crock pot that was great yesterday.  Today I made the chocolate chili from Well Fed and that was excellent. 
http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/02/22/my-favorite-chili-recipe/ and http://paleomg.com/honey-ginger-apple-shredded-pork/ just leave out the honey in that one, I found it to be plenty sweet with the apples.

Good morning!

I'm in a phenomenal mood, despite my beloved Patriots not showing last night. 

I wasn't great with my meals this weekend. Not that I ate anything bad, but that both days I only ate 2 meals. Saturday I got stuck in the freak snow storm (seriously, it even caught the meteorologists by surprise) and was hours later getting home than I had planned.

The whole state is in mourning (I'm in Mass too). (; And what was up with the snow!? It totally took me by surprise, too, I had planned on doing a good grocery shop Saturday afternoon. Oh well!

My kids have food everywhere and I have had to stop myself several times from nibbling bits of everything without even thinking about it. I didn't feel at all like cooking anything today either but I at least put a spaghetti squash in the oven so I had some tonight with leftover meat sauce fir dinner, yummy. I usually don't reach for the sweets at all but its all sounded good today, haha. Last night all I wanted was a giant bowl of cheerios with banana and almond milk, lol. I had a big glass of water, made sure the kitchen was clean, turned all the lights off downstairs and sent myself to bed. No caving in here! Phew.

Today went well. I started out with kind of low energy but I pushed through it, got my house cleaned, and this afternoon I had a lot of energy. Felt very productive. I have perfected a new way (to me) to cook meat. I take round steak and cut it into bite size pieces then cook in tallow on low for about 2 hours. It kind of caramelizes at the end. And I don't have to cut it up for the kids after it's cooked. I can sit down to my own meal that much faster.

Made Brazilian Fish Stew from allrecipes for lunch today. Can't wait to eat it for breakfast tomorrow! I love that stuff!

I'm furious today because as careful as I have been with my kids, their daycare decided to ignore my directive that they not be fed anything except what I send them, and they fed them MARSHMALLOWS of all things.  No only do marshmallows have high fructose corn syrup, they have BLUE DYE #1.  This occurred Friday and it is now Monday night and my kids have been ricocheting for three days straight.  My husband can't even stand to be home.

I brought them to the daycare and told the daycare people they would be responsible for watching my kids for the next two weeks until the Blue Dye is out of their system.

Completely destroyed any proof of the Whole30 working on my kids.  The kids will continue compliant to the end of the month and then we will all start the February Whole30 and see if the world will comply and NOT FEED MY CHILDREN!

As for me, I'm doing ok except for exercise.  We went out for sushi last night and the sushi restaurant actually has rolls that don't include rice or soy.  It was quite good.

The whole state is in mourning (I'm in Mass too). (; And what was up with the snow!? It totally took me by surprise, too, I had planned on doing a good grocery shop Saturday afternoon. Oh well!

Right? I got stuck around that 20 car pileup in Nashua... 90 minutes to go 9 miles. :(

Be ready - tonight's another one! Is it spring yet?

Happy Day 21!!!

Tracy, that would make me insane. What is it with people ignoring parents' rules? My sister's mother in law does the same thing and gives my nephew Coca-cola! (or did, until sister threatened to not leave him with her any more). I just can't even fathom ignoring a parents' wishes.

Anyway, last night was an emotionally rough night, but I was fine. I'm learning that I'm not actually an emotional eater, I'm a boredom eater. As long as I'm doing something I'm fine. Weird.

This morning I had another piece of egg/sausage/sweet potato casserole (I won't make this again. Too sweet.) and a plate of brussels sprouts with coconut oil. I'm going to try my hand at making coconut butter later today. :) I have been making coconut milk, which is ok but not as good as the canned (it's not as thick). And I NEVER get my coconut milk to froth, whether canned or homemade. Ah well.

Ive got a full blown cold, with the aches and swimmy head, sore, itchy throat and everything. Ive got an extra day off today as well... bleh... At least I know why I wasn't feeling great the last few days. Staying compliant tho. Oh, we've only had hot water intermittently over the week and a half. Rented property, very very old boiler (which needed updating back in the 90's I reckon) and now the pilot wont even stay on for more than 3 seconds. So frustrating. I just want a hot bath, but Im too exhausted to boil the kettles a dozen times, running back and forth to and fro for an hour just for a 20 minute soak. I also need to colour my hair bc my roots are shocking! sigh...

Here in DC, we take a snow day before the snow even starts!  This would be fine if my Internet connection wasn't acting up.  I have plenty of food stored, but I get cabin fever quickly... so I need to motivate myself to walk before the snow starts....

I was def. having 'cravings from nowhere' yesterday.  I ended up eating 4 meals - not because I needed them but because I was basically 'grazing'.  They were somewhat smaller then usual, but for some (mental) reason I just couldn't wait till I was genuinely hungry to eat!  So I am a boredom eater too... hence my annoyance at another day at home.

I went out to dinner for the first time on plan yesterday.  The restaurant had bone marrow, so I thought I'd try it.  Not for me... a bit too Clan of the Cave Bear for my taste.  So I brought them home and am using them for bone broth now.

ya know what ktothev... I felt the same thing, totally! I didn't know it was a 'thing'... I thought it was just me and I was SO close to caving! So glad I didn't. I said to myself 'Self, No! You have 10 days (this was yesterday) and you're just going to see this thru!'

Day 21! Yeah!!  I don't post over the weekend when I'm home with the kids.

I went out to eat for the first time on Saturday. I ordered a salad with grilled salmon (asked for it to be grilled plain) with o&v on the side. It came with dressing on the side, so I had to ask again for the o&v. As I was eating, I realized I didn't ask if the mandarin oranges were in syrup or not, but they didn't taste super sweet...so hoping I was ok.  It was good!  Also had a seltzer with lime while my sister had a beer. Usually it is the other way around. I was proud though!

I tried making pan fried sardines (WF2)...epic fail as I didn't have arrowroot powder and used coconut flour instead. Oh well! My sweet potato chips also burned in oven and set off the smoke detectors, which in turn woke up the baby. Grr!  On a positive note, the Taj Mahal chicken (WF2) was great and the whole family loved it.

I'm a bit scared of life after W30.  I know that I will keep certain aspects in my life (eating good, balanced breakfasts), but know that I will again enjoy my glass of wine or beer.

Dr. Tracy: I feel your frustration with the daycare center. My little twins are four and there's just so much I can control at preschool. But I remind myself that they were kept safe and taught a thing or two and I can't protect them from the kid with the snot running down his face or trading carrots for prepackaged chocolate muffin. ( Something I would never buy! ) I feel like it's a dance -two steps forward and one step back but at least we are still ahead of how we choose to fuel their little bodies and minds. And more importantly for me, I need to be careful because I never want them to think that food is the enemy.

Here in Miami Beach it's 70 and I had a killer 9.5 mile run. This week I am working on reducing the snacking and concentrating on eating the three meals. I felt as if I was picking all weekend and ate way too many dried figs and pistachios. My husband's bowl of cereal looked phenomenal. The cakes hold nothing on me but Raisin Bran Crunch looked downright dreamy!

I must make this cocoa chili. The hype is super-high.

Happy Day 21!!!

Tracy, that would make me insane. What is it with people ignoring parents' rules? My sister's mother in law does the same thing and gives my nephew Coca-cola! (or did, until sister threatened to not leave him with her any more). I just can't even fathom ignoring a parents' wishes.

Anyway, last night was an emotionally rough night, but I was fine. I'm learning that I'm not actually an emotional eater, I'm a boredom eater. As long as I'm doing something I'm fine. Weird.

This morning I had another piece of egg/sausage/sweet potato casserole (I won't make this again. Too sweet.) and a plate of brussels sprouts with coconut oil. I'm going to try my hand at making coconut butter later today. :) I have been making coconut milk, which is ok but not as good as the canned (it's not as thick). And I NEVER get my coconut milk to froth, whether canned or homemade. Ah well.

Check out thepaleomom for a recipe for coconut milk.  She uses very hot/boiling water to extract the most fat out of the coconut.

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/04/recipe-homemade-coconut-milk.html

I haven't tried it yet but perhaps it will help.  I love her stuff - she is a biochemist and talks about the science behind the paleo diet.  Her book is coming out this week.

Day 21, and I am right where the timeline says: I am so over this, lol.

Last night, this was me: I JUST WANT 2 DAMN TABLESPOONS OF PARMESAN ON THESE FREAKING ZOODLES!

That is all...

I think people use nutritional yeast for that flavor sensation.

Dr. Tracy: I feel your frustration with the daycare center. My little twins are four and there's just so much I can control at preschool. But I remind myself that they were kept safe and taught a thing or two and I can't protect them from the kid with the snot running down his face or trading carrots for prepackaged chocolate muffin. ( Something I would never buy! ) I feel like it's a dance -two steps forward and one step back but at least we are still ahead of how we choose to fuel their little bodies and minds. And more importantly for me, I need to be careful because I never want them to think that food is the enemy.

Here in Miami Beach it's 70 and I had a killer 9.5 mile run. This week I am working on reducing the snacking and concentrating on eating the three meals. I felt as if I was picking all weekend and ate way too many dried figs and pistachios. My husband's bowl of cereal looked phenomenal. The cakes hold nothing on me but Raisin Bran Crunch looked downright dreamy!

I must make this cocoa chili. The hype is super-high.

The unfortunate thing about my children is that they have fetal alcohol syndrome and severe ADHD which minimally responds to ritalin.  They are exquisitely sensitive to food additives.  Their hyperactivity creates a world that my husband does not want to be part of.  So when daycare is so glib as to feed my children these foods, the result is a very real possibility of divorce and a broken family.

The unfortunate thing about my children is that they have fetal alcohol syndrome and severe ADHD which minimally responds to ritalin.  They are exquisitely sensitive to food additives.  Their hyperactivity creates a world that my husband does not want to be part of.  So when daycare is so glib as to feed my children these foods, the result is a very real possibility of divorce and a broken family.

I'm sorry to hear things have been difficult. Your family is blessed to have someone who gives their all to help them. Hopefully you'll continue to see improvements moving into February!

Feeling good.  Went for a nice hike and energy levels okay. Do not feel like cooking.  I have a committee meeting tonight (how have I become a person who is on committees?) so plan to bring my own salad dressing and eat out.  But, need food for my first day back to work tomorrow (well my first real day back, I've worked several days this week).  My kids want to make sugar cookies first.  Not enough time in the day!

Day 21.  Exercised!  Only 30 minutes on the treadmill, but that is two days in a row.  Will do daily until month's end (and beyond).

M1 Ate 2 fried eggs and some grilled onions and mushrooms left over from our steak dinner last night.

M2 Nomnom deconstructed somosas with some pickled cucumbers.

M3 Haven't decided yet.

The kids loved their "spaghetti" - spaghetti squash with kirkland compliant marinara sauce and some italian meatballs I had made.  DD even asked me to send some for lunch.

Tracy, I agree with everyone who says your family is lucky to have you. You are a saint, and I'm sorry that day care keeps sabotaging. Like so many, I just don't understand the need to defy a parent's wishes so flagrantly. It makes me sad.

Annabel, I think probably I have never had proper cottage pie in my life - I have been to the UK a few times, but I don't think I ever had it there. So maybe now I will not ever try the real kind and I won't know what I am missing! :) If it is disappointing, I will definitely take your advice and just eat it as beef and mashed cauliflower. I've had the mashed cauli on its own already, and found it wonderful.

Has anyone else noticed that even with planning, there is never enough produce? I have had to run to the store to buy more produce so many times. I know that once I have eaten this way for a longer period of time, I will be better about judging how much spinach to buy. However, right now it's like THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH SPINACH, as if there is some kind of spinach vortex in the atmosphere over my house, and I am always out of spinach. I feel like I buy two more bags than the previous outing every time I go, and I'm like okay NOW there will be enough spinach, NOW. But it is never enough. There is never enough spinach. NEVER.

Yesterday I made garlic confit with my leftover garlic. It's so easy! You get a little ramekin and you slice off the top of your garlic that is getting old and might dry you, and you put enough olive oil in there to cover it, and then you bake it in the oven for an hour at 300, or until the garlic is all nice and brown. Then you let it cool, and you can squeeze the garlic out easily. It just pops right out! Then you have a delicious roasted garlic paste, AND some garlic infused olive oil which you can use for whatever. I put the garlic paste on some leftover pork loin and lo, I was the happiest Ali. I was glad to learn how to do this because my dad grows garlic behind his toolshed, and so he's always like HERE ALI, HAVE A BUNCH OF GARLIC and I'm like Dad, have you mistaken the Lifetime Twilight Marathon for the news, I AM NOT UNDER ATTACK BY VAMPIRES. So I was glad to find something to do with all that garlic.

There was a huge sheet cake in our breakroom today. I passed by it and thought "I want some of that," but it was just an impulse because it was available. I didn't really want any. I actually don't really like the mouth feel of buttercream; I just like the way it smells. So I leaned over and smelled it and then went away. I am really glad no one saw me do this.

So far the inspection has not really stressed me out that badly. HOME STRETCH YOU GUYS! BRING IT HOME!

I have the produce issue, but I know I always will because I just don't have enough space for it! I swear, I have a full sized fridge but I bring home a shopping trip and *bam!* NO SPACE. I don't know where it all goes.

I went to my new gym today. Love! I picked up heavy things, which makes me happy.

Funny - I am working from home today, so I made my sweet potato hash for lunch. :) Apparently as sick as I was of it I kinda miss it. Added greens to it, which was ok. I'm picky about cooked greens.

Archived