Whole 30 starting Jan 1

Run4fun

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the home stretch. I haven't been posting because I've just been too busy to get on the forum much.  I'm co-directing a play, so rehearsals are M, T, TH, then Bible Study on Wed, plus homeschool, lessons for the kids, and regular housework/laundry stuff.  Anyway, just been staying compliant and living life.

Sleep has been horrid.  I don't know what it is about 3am, but I HATE it. I wake every.single.night somewhere around 3 am. On a good night, I'm back asleep in 10-15 minutes, but usually wake a couple more times before morning. The worst night, I was awake for 3 hours!!!!  Sure wish I knew what was causing it.

And I have to share my most amazing food discovery EVER.  I had 1/2  a leftover baked sweet potato from dinner, so for breakfast, instead of the usual sweet potato/sausage hash, I put some coconut oil in a pan, got it hot, and sliced the sweet potato into it.  Let it cook long enough to get brown and crispy on the edges, and then flipped it to get crispy on the other side.  I had some coconut cream for dipping the slices in, and I'm telling you, it was a little slice of food heaven. 

I read Sara Gottfried's 'The Hormone Cure' (she is into Paleo and an OB/GYN) and learned a lot.  Don't know how old you are but you might benefit from reading it (I'm perimenopausal and it was spot on for me with #1 lesson:  cortisol is not my friend if I can't keep it in check).

Tracy, I was initially planning on doing a strict Whole30 to 60 to even 100, but I'm not sure I can stick to every single rule for that long, particularly the rules against measuring and fasting - I want to try out Intermittent Fasting in combo with a super clean diet.  This is mainly because one of my big goals this winter/spring is to finally lose my baby weight (ummm, the "baby" is now a preschooler!).  That said, I am planning on following the major dietary recommendations and continuing to avoid wheat, corn, seed oils, processed and added sugar, and alcohol.  I find this board very informative and supportive, so I will be checking in here and continuing to blog my progress on my Tumblr.

Speaking of progress, y'all - today at the gym I felt something...a glimmer...a twinge of "thinner".  Just the barest outline of an ab muscle. IT'S HAPPENING?!?!?!!?

This is similar to what I was feeling, initially I thought I would extend well past the 30 days but I dont think I can completely restrictive to stay compliant. I do love this forum, though, and would like to see if some of it can continue, even if some of us are 'riding our own bike'.

I read Sara Gottfried's 'The Hormone Cure' (she is into Paleo and an OB/GYN) and learned a lot.  Don't know how old you are but you might benefit from reading it (I'm perimenopausal and it was spot on for me with #1 lesson:  cortisol is not my friend if I can't keep it in check).

Thanks for this.  I'm 48, so hormones are def in the picture.  I've been treated for adrenal exhaustion (in 2011), and after a year with a naturopath, my cortisol levels were normal and I was feeling great.  I'm still feeling good (other than the sleep), but it could be getting out of whack again, I suppose.

I don't intend to go totally off the rails on Jan 31, but I'd like to be able to eat a piece or two of deli meat, or a bottled salad dressing, or a piece of bacon, without having to stress about a little added sugar.  And I like a little stevia in my hot tea at night.  I've been surviving without it, but I'd rather not drink it than drink it straight, and chamomile tea does help with the sleep (at least getting to sleep to start with).  If I sense the re-awakening of the sugar dragon, I'll go strict again to get it under control.  I'd like to stay part of the post whole30 thread, so I'll be watching for the link.

I know this isn't all about the weight loss, but I don't think I'm the only one who thinks it's at least partially about weight loss. And I don't really think I've lost anything.  I'll know in a week, but feeling just a little discouraged that nothing fits differently.  I've only got 10 pounds to lose to get back to my goal weight (that I maintained for a year after losing 30 pounds, before inexplicably putting on 10 in 3 mos, without really changing anything).

I haven't posted in a long time, but I'm still doing pretty well.  I think I would be feeling a lot better if I hadn't been having these weird heartburn/reflux/chest pains for the last week and a half.  And I haven't taken anything like tums to see if it would make me feel better because they're full of sugar and other garbage.  so part of me is worried it could be something worse, so I've been stressed out because of it.  I've never had heartburn before, but now I get this pinching feeling in my lower left chest almost every time I eat. It usually mostly subsides by the next time I eat, although I can still slightly feel it almost all the time.   It's gotten a little better since I cut out the balsamic vinegar though.  

So because of that I don't think I will continue on.  I still plan to stay mostly compliant, but not obsess over everything.  Plus I have a freezer full of bacon that has some sugar in it that I do plan to eat.  

So far I feel pretty good, other than the heartburn issue.  I think the best part for me is eating food I know is good for me, and not feeling hungry between meals.  Most of the time I enjoy the strictness of the plan, because it makes knowing what to eat easy, but then othertimes I feel too restricted and then just crave toast with honey or something like that.  

I definitely think that I will try another Whole 30, maybe in 6 months or so, just to see if I can see even more results (without going too far astray between) if I can get this stupid heartburn/chest pain issue cleared up.  

Ugh I am so ready for this to be over. Today was another hard day and I wanted to go off the plan so badly. Food has definitely been my reward, my way to cope with life's curveballs. I know I need to keep going so I can really change my relationship with food. It's going to take a lot longer than 30 days. Thought about you all a lot today. Almost had a meltdown at dinner time. I called my mil and she came right over to help with the kids. I felt so embarrassed to be asking for help. Why? I am not super mom. Why do I expect to be?

Ask for help!  Are you kidding?  You have four children!  You are lucky to have family nearby.

That's great to hear that people are staying on, whether it be for Feb 14 or March 1.  This is a nice group.

My kids are off of their Blue Dye high and life is more peaceful now.  Even though I'm supposed to be finishing up leftovers during this final week, instead I made nomnompaleo crispy chicken, which is basically deboned chicken thighs salted and pan fried, skin side down.  I do love good crispy chicken skin.  It was very good.  No green veggies today, just sweet potato hash.  For lunch I met my husband at a lebanese restaurant and had the inside of a chicken shwarma.  It was very good.  I got a little scared when I opened up the pita and smelled peanut butter.  I had to run up and read the menu before I realized it was tahini.  Yum.

Regarding heartburn - I was a little "burpy" for a while after I went Paleo, not sure what that was about.  It seems to have settled down.

One thing I am looking forward to - I'm due to have some labwork done.  I keep putting it off because I want to see just how good I can get it to be.  Maybe I'll do it after the first 30.

I'm still here, lurking on the thread but participating with the challenge. I want to continue as others have said, but not obsess about what's in my bacon!

No real differences experienced, but I'm well chuffed with the fact that I am not obsessing about what and how much I'm eating. Food is enjoyable, healthy, and when I've eaten my meal I stop, rather than wanting to get back into the kitchen to see what else I can have.

My daughter (18) has participated and her skin is looking so much better after being prone to heavy breakouts.

For February I want tiger blood, I've still felt tired in January and this has affected my workouts.

I will weigh my myself on 31st January and report back.

I know this isn't all about the weight loss, but I don't think I'm the only one who thinks it's at least partially about weight loss. And I don't really think I've lost anything.  I'll know in a week, but feeling just a little discouraged that nothing fits differently.  I've only got 10 pounds to lose to get back to my goal weight (that I maintained for a year after losing 30 pounds, before inexplicably putting on 10 in 3 mos, without really changing anything).

I know what you mean. I maintained my 9lb weight loss from my first W30 last January for about five months and felt fantastic. A few pounds crept on over a busy summer of weddings and holidays, but I wasn't too worried as I still felt good. But then in the last few months of 2013 I quickly piled on another 7lbs and ended up at my highest weight for a number of years. I'm only 5'3" so it makes a difference on my frame. I'm partly putting it down to suffering from anxiety for the latter part of last year, which seemed to trigger my old bingeing habits. I'm hoping the current combinations of eating clean and attending an Overcoming Worry workshop my health service referred me to that I will get past it. I've binged and dieted for my whole adult life, and also suffered from depression, and for those first few months last year I really thought I'd beaten it. But I realise now it's a journey, it won't just get fixed. But I am doing my best and that's all I can do.

In lighter news I just made a delicious breakfast discovery by adding my Well Fed mayo to my usual breakfast smoked salmon and roasted vegetable frittata. A nice Saturday treat :) We have friends over for dinner tonight. The boys are having haggis to celebrate Burns Night, I'm doing a Jamie Oliver monkfish recipe with black olive sauce and lemon (cauliflower) mash and cavolo nero for my pescatarian friend and I.

Have a wonderful weekend all.

I'm in for a W60+ (and like I said will start a thread elsewhere for anyone from this thread to "carry on" if you are carrying on W30 or a version of eating clean) ... though I will weigh at the end of this W30 as I do like to see where I'm going as I can adjust if I need to. My second W30 will be without dried fruit and nuts (had a small incident with a packet of macadamia nuts (though honesty compels me to add: two (!!!!) packets) recently and still can't figure out where all those raisins went ...!), and I might "formally" make me a four meal person to make the "snacking" more controlled; I eat at 7, 12 and 4 (new) and 8 ish. I've been eating round about 4 pm anyway, sometimes really sensibly if I've got protein in the fridge, sometimes less sensibly. It seems completely reasonable that I need something between mid-day and 8pm and given planning is what makes everything work for me, I guess I need to plan that in. (Eating dinner at 5pm would work much better, and then go to bed at 10pm and wake up hungry at 6, but my life just doesn't work like that - yet.)

Looks like I'm not travelling in Feb after all which will make it easier, though will be going out to dinner for the first time on the 30th as it's my mum's first birthday without my dad so my sister and I are taking her out somewhere of her choice, which may mean that my W30 options are imperfect: but as I see it, if I'm doing this for a W350 then that will be one of my "off" meals, but will stick within guidelines as best I can (I won't be having pancakes, champagne, Coca-Cola and cakes, for example!).

Lots of people have been mentioning spending a lot of time reading labels in the grocery store. What are you eating? (Just curious.) I eat mostly veggies and fresh meat which don't really come with labels. (I guess I've already sourced my curry powder, coconut milk etc from last time round.)

Today is my big writing day so I suppose I had better crack on with it. Kids are out of the house so it's the only time I get a decent stretch of time without them. 

Hi all! Like a few others I haven't been on the forum for awhile and wanted to check back in. I'm still chugging along on plan. I'm basically on autopilot with eating/cooking, in a good way! This doesn't feel hard at all which is pretty amazing. I also haven't had a magical transformation but I'm okay with that. The heartburn that was plaguing me the last few months is gone, my head feels much clearer, and while not quite tiger blood I definitely feel an improvement in mood and energy. No change physically that I can see, but I also have a lot of weight to lose (50-60 pounds) so I figure it'll take awhile for noticeable changes. I started this with the mindset it was a kickstart to a much longer journey to look and feel much better and it has definitely been a success from that perspective.

It took some time to catch up on the last week of posts but I love reading about everyone's experiences and post-w30 plans. I'm torn on whether to continue to w60. On one hand I'd like the option of eating out without anxiety and having rice and wine occasionally. With this option I'd stay gluten, dairy, legume, and sugar free, since other than sugar--argh--I don't miss this stuff. On the other hand every single time I've committed to healthy eating, the second I loosen the reins I eventually revert back to junk food craziness. Sigh. That probably means I should keep going. I'll decide for sure by day 30.

On a different note, I've been craving steak lately. Like seriously looking-at-pictures-on-the-internet craving. I've never considered myself a steak person and am scared to death to cook it for fear of ruining a relatively expensive piece of meat, but I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pick some up today. So weird. Any tips on best cooking practices (keeping in mind I don't have a grill)?

Steak is super easy. Heat a frying pan really screaming hot. A little olive oil on the steak itself (both sides) and some pepper (no salt; it makes the meat tougher). Throw it in the pan. Let it sit and caramelize, longer than you think (hope you have an extractor fan!). Flip. Repeat. Depending on what cut of meat you get, and how you like your steak you may, once it has caramelized nicely on the outside, turn down the heat a little and let it cook through a bit more (depends on thickness of steak, as well). Rest for 3 or 4 minutes. Eat. Yum. To get the perfect steak to your tastes, you may need a few go-rounds til you know your cooker, your steaks, your pans. Enjoy!

Hi, all. I think for most people this is at least partly about weight loss. Although, perhaps it should be body shape instead. I can't find it right now, but somewhere on this forum are before and after photos of a lady who was the exact same weight in both photos but the difference is astounding. She looks much slimmer, fitter, healthier, etc in the after photo. Of course, that's why we're encouraged to take measurements, but I've never done it.

Also, I think it takes some people longer than others to adjust to the new way of eating. During adjustment, it seems as though people need more food, but then as time goes on the need decreases. I think part of riding your own bike is (or should be?) figuring out what you can compromise on while still focusing on satiating, nutritious foods so that you're not overeating. Maybe that means not stressing about your restaurant food but keeping mostly to template at home. Who knows. Probably depends a lot on how often you're eating out ;-). Anyhow, I'm not a Mod, so these are just random musings from someone who has been eating close to W30 (except when i wasn't! ;-) for less than a year.

Just made delicious sweet potato hash with this local, compliant sausage I found.  So delicious, though frankly, I like my own sagey home-mixed sausage better (and it's cheaper) so I'll do that next time. 

One of the things I've noticed is that I'm able to stay very, very alert at work these last couple of weeks.  It's been busy at work, but I feel like I'm getting so much more done.  Maybe out of necessity, but I believe I have ADHD (always blamed my ex husband on my son's ADHD, but honestly, I know he may have gotten it from me!).  Anyway, I feel more focused.  Not crazy energy, but so much more focused.  It's brilliant!!!  

Going to go shopping later for some of my favorite "Well Fed" recipes, and am going to try the chocolate chili this weekend.  And Pad Thai. 

I found some compliant bacon at our local food co-op.  Very expensive...

I think that on February 1 I'm going to start to reintro foods, very slowly and take my time with that.  I'm thinking about what I'll add back, and what I don't plan to.  Can I have a day of reintro-ing red wine?  :)  I should probably do that last!  I wonder- I know it is alcohol, but will dry red wine give my lurking sugar dragon a reason to wake up?  I know it doesn't have any residual sugar in it, but because it contains alcohol.....  I guess I'll just reintro it one day, and see what happens.  I've been looking at the "After your Whole 30" forum to see how people are doing their reintros, to get ideas.

Thanks for sticking it out together, everyone!! 

Here's my new personal favorite discovery of Whole 30:  my husband eats like a horse, and anything I make for my family, even if I double it, he eats it all.  Now I learned that all I have to do is add some sweet potato or squash to something, and the leftovers are MINE, ALL MINE!!!!  (not being TOTALLY selfish-- it's just that he'll eat anything, pretty much, and my choices are slimmer, so while I always cook for my family, I can mix my leftover spaghetti sauce with my leftover spaghetti squash, thereby guaranteeing that I'll have some to take for lunch the next day. )  :D

Shhhhhh..... he hasn't caught on yet that I'm doing it on purpose......

I'll keep going for another 60 days. I want to reduce snacking, (cashews, pistachios and Lara bars, oh my!).

I've been very moody, sensitive, and tired. I started to use clarified butter this last week and didn't feel good after, so either I figure out where went wrong in the butter choice or clarification/ghee-fication, or i remove dairy entirely.

Yesterday, I was tired, moody and tense, and ended up going to the gym at 10:30pm to move and burn off some stress. It worked!

So, wherever this group continues on the w60+, I'd love to follow.

i have not been able to post very often but have been reading almost everyday when I had a few minutes. You have all been an inspiration & I have learned ALOT from you!

This has been a very interesting journey. I am still compliant and I really enjoy the food we have been eating. I know I have at least lost inches.....I measured & weighed so will know in a few days. Insomnia has been a problem for many years. Imagine my surprise yesterday when I woke up after almost 6 hours in the same position as when I went to sleep!!! This is huge!!! Last nite was a good nite, too. I woke up a couple of times but was able to go right back to sleep. I believe I have seen glimpses of tiger blood....sure wish it would visit & decide to stay. Inflammation is almost gone in my hip. I had an injury last year & even after I thought it was "fixed" I was having some discomfort that would abate when I took Alleve or Advil (which I don't like doing).

Some things I've learned:

I was snacking too much & on the wrong things....didn't think 3 meals a day would work for me....it does when eating good food 

Pre planning & cooking is worth every extra minute it takes (even if very difficult at first)....no fast food this entire time

Eating out is doable & can be healthy.......don't have to cave to those gotta have cravings EVERY time

I will continue until 2/8 for sure.....not sure I will be able to make it thru a wedding & stay compliant......then plan to start right back on

2/9 and go at least thru the end of February. My idea is to weigh on the 1st day of each month & go from there.

Jenny, would you share your sausage recipe? I think we would enjoy fresh sausage.

I would also like a recipe for fritatta or egg muffins.......the ones I made were yucky!! Need something portable for breakfast.

Also have a couple of venison cutlets to cook tonite.........any ideas?

Thanks to all of you for being so open & sharing!! You have blessed me and made my first Whole30 much easier than I thought it would be!!

I was absolutely starving last night at work.  And I had not brought anything whatsoever to eat except for my nomnompaleo cracklin' chicken.  I haven't been truly "hungry" for a really long time.

This morning I had my sweet potato hash and fried eggs as usual.  My kids are begging for more of the cracklin' chicken - my daughter says she loves the crispy skin.  She also ate an entire pint of cherry tomatoes.  They are doing well.

I'm glad to hear there are people hanging on for the 45 or 60.  I think this is a great group.

Jenny, would you share your sausage recipe? I think we would enjoy fresh sausage.

Well, to be perfectly honest, the last time I made it I used some recipe I found on the internet, and who knows where that went.  I know it was a sage-based one, because that's what I like.  Here's one to try!  http://queenofthereddoublewide.com/homemade-seasoning-for-breakfast-sausage/  . 

It looks like we're going to Applebees tonight for a birthday supper--not my choice, but it's not my b-day either.  I'm pretty sure there is nothing there that I will be able to eat.  I couldn't find any ingredients list online, but I'm pretty sure their vegetables and even the grilled meat are full of junk. Don't even the salads have sulfites on them to keep them fresh?  I thought I'd heard that some bagged ones do.   I'll feel kindof weird not eating anything.  But I've come too far to mess up now by making an uninformed choice.  I know I can eat at home, but that won't help the questions I'm sure.  Wish me luck!

It looks like we're going to Applebees tonight for a birthday supper--not my choice, but it's not my b-day either.  I'm pretty sure there is nothing there that I will be able to eat.  I couldn't find any ingredients list online, but I'm pretty sure their vegetables and even the grilled meat are full of junk. Don't even the salads have sulfites on them to keep them fresh?  I thought I'd heard that some bagged ones do.   I'll feel kindof weird not eating anything.  But I've come too far to mess up now by making an uninformed choice.  I know I can eat at home, but that won't help the questions I'm sure.  Wish me luck!

Steamed veggies???

Looks like Applebee's has a gluten-free  menu. Maybe start with that and see if you can get a dry grilled steak, only salt and pepper for seasonings, no butter, and get a side salad. Bring your own compliant dressing, or request a lemon wedge to squeeze onto the salad.

I would also like a recipe for fritatta or egg muffins.......the ones I made were yucky!! Need something portable for breakfast.

Also have a couple of venison cutlets to cook tonite.........any ideas?!

Hi Miminette, frittatas are my breakfast staple! Every few days I chop up a load of veggies - mushrooms, zucchini, red onion, sweet potato, carrot, peppers - and roast them drizzled in olive oil for 40 minutes, turning halfway through, at 400 F.

Then, in a small frying pan/skillet, I heat through a portion of the veggies with some coconut oil (having made a batch, I keep the vegetables in the refrigerator and use them all week). Once the veggies are hot, I whisk up two large eggs and pour these over the veggies. Cook over a medium/low heat until the sides are set and the top is beginning to set. At this point you can add a bit of topping - I love smoked salmon or prosciutto. Then, put it under a hot grill for a little longer until the top is set and golden.

Eat straight away or cool and chill and cut in to slices. Yum.

I had venison recently and felt like it definitely needed a sauce or marinade.

Well I made it through the supper.  I just had a side salad with no croutons or bacon, and asked for some egg and tomato.  But I forgot to say no cheese.  Although with no dressing it was pretty easy to shake off the cheese.  Kind of boring, but at least I could pick at something while everyone else ate.  I came home and had some ginger lime sauteed shrimp (Well Fed) and it was awesome!  I only wish I had got more than 1/2 pound of shrimp.  The great thing about the night was that I wasn't really craving the bad food, just wished there was something more I could have had.  And even though everyone had birthday cake afterward, I wasn't really even that hungry.  Although I definitely was ready to eat something by the time we got home and got the kids to bed.   Yeah!

Archived