Whole 30 Attempt 2

abur0418

I was thinking about somewhere I could log my Whole 30. I probably just could write it down in a journal but after reading through this forum I thought this might offer a little bit of accountability. I do have a blog (www.pencilsandpancakes.com) however I feel as if not everyone who reads my blog wants to know what I eat every day and they might get annoyed. Last year I failed on my whole 30 because of peer pressure and food/drink based socializing. I find it less stressful to just have the things I'm craving rather than try to abstain from it. But in all reality I feel as though I CAN do this. I CAN make it the full 30 days. There's no reason not to. I know it feels like I will die if I don't have that beer, cookie, etc at the time, however I think it will be worth it to follow through. I am going to write a few reasons why I am doing htis to remind myself when times get tough or I am faced with a social situation.

1. I feel terrible. I just want to feel great about myself again, and develop some healthier habits doing it. I am going to feel amazing when this is done. After just 2-3 weeks of sugar detox I felt amazing. Just think of how great I will feel at the end of 30 days.

2. You don't NEED alcohol to have fun. I don't know what about alcohol makes me feel glamorous like if we go to a bar and have a drink we're 'doing something' or 'enjoying life'. I need to focus on things I enjoy doing that don't involve alcohol or food. If I get the urge to food/drink based socialize, I will try to think of something alternative I could do in order to combat that feeling of having to 'do' something. (i.e. going ice skating, watching a movie together with a good dinner, playing a board game, even going for a walk if it's not too cold).

3. No one else at the party/social event CARES what you eat or drink. So if I'm the only one who cares, why can't I just eat what I want?

4. It's ONLY 30 days, therefore if I have this mentality like "oh, YOLO why am I restricting food" I can remind myself that it's worth it to see it through and after 30 days I don't have to be so strict.

Anyway i migth be thinking this out too much. Starting tomorrow if I can get my stuff together.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 1:

Breakfast- Hard boiled egg and Larabar (I know this is technically  not on the template but since I am on vacation my eating looks different.....I am up less hours therefore hungry less. Next week will be three meals a day, promise!)

Lunch- Two eggs, leftover cauliflower mash, leftover chuck roast, few leftover carrots, a orange bell pepper and guac) Still hungry after so ate small green apple.

Decaf coffee with coconut milk and cinnamon

Finish of day 1:

snacked on almonds, broccoli while cooking.

Dinner: Pulled pork with banga cauda broccoli

NO SNACK!! :) I know that I was snacking during the day due to my inadequate breakfast. This will not happen next week when I am on a more regular plan.

Breakfast Day 2:

Carrot/Apple Hash with beef and coconut butter. Coconut milk with decaf coffee.

Half a banana after breakfast

Lunch Day 3-

Carrot and apple hash with broccoli slaw, avocado crema

Dinner-

Strip steak with onions and peppers, cauliflower/sweet potato mash

half a banana

I feel discouraged about eating the half a banana after dinner...I really didn't need it but was craving something as I usually have a snack before bed. I need to get out of the habit!

Overall feel good except for the cravings after dinner.

Dinner- Beef shanks with carrots, cauliflower and sweet potato mash

Mug of bone broth, few alomonds before "bed". I say "bed" because I did not sleep. First day back at work...we'll see how it goes. I am going to skip the workout and come home and relax instead.

Breakfast was 1/5 of apple egg muffin streusal, 1/2 cup of roasted cauliflower and 1/4 of an avocado + bone broth.

Lunch Monday- Kale and Beef soup with parsnips

Dinner- Spaghetti squash with sage and fennel meatballs

Breakfast Day 6: Apple muffin streusal, side of cauliflower

Lunch- kale and beef soup with parsnips, small sweet potato.

Lots of snacking while cooking including almonds, olives and plantains

Dinner- plantain lasagna, half of a cucumber

Lots of snacking today but I don't know if it was just because I was bored (snow day). I felt generally full all day but did do a pretty hard workout- nothing intense but 1.5 hr strength training so maybe that was the culprit.

Hi! Can I ask what is a apple muffin streusel?

Looking at your log you do a lot of snacking, either your bored or your cooking or whatever. I would try to stop this. I'm the type of person that if it is around, I'll eat it just because. I have to get rid of most snacks in my house.

Also if your working out make sure you get a pre and post WO meal.

@msssjenna Yes I sometimes feel the need to just be snacking on something....especially while I am cooking! It's a hard habit to break.

The apple muffin streusal is a recipe from Practical Paleo- it's basically a sweeter type crustless quiche with apples. If you search it on her website (Balanced Bites) you should find it. To get in veggies I usually have them on the side. I am not adding in workout meals because....I don't know I just don't feel like I work out hard ENOUGH to warrant it. Yesterday I had a sweet potato with lunch that I normally wouldn't have so I counted that as post workout.

Breakfast Day 6:

1/5 of apple muffin streusal, side of broccoli, 1/4 of an avocado

Lunch-

Kale and beef soup with parsnips

Dinner-

Plantain lasagna, half of a cucumber, olives.

Raisins after dinner

@msssjenna Yes I sometimes feel the need to just be snacking on something....especially while I am cooking! It's a hard habit to break.

The apple muffin streusal is a recipe from Practical Paleo- it's basically a sweeter type crustless quiche with apples. If you search it on her website (Balanced Bites) you should find it. To get in veggies I usually have them on the side. I am not adding in workout meals because....I don't know I just don't feel like I work out hard ENOUGH to warrant it. Yesterday I had a sweet potato with lunch that I normally wouldn't have so I counted that as post workout.

Breakfast Day 6:

Lunch-

Kale and beef soup with parsnips

Dinner-

Plantain lasagna, half of a cucumber, olives.

Raisins after dinner

Sorry, the apple muffin streusal sounds non-Whole30 compliant, as it's Paleo-ifying a treat. 

Also, where is your protein at breakfast and dinner?  Should be having 1-2 palms of protein at every meal, per the Whole30 meal template.

Veggies should not be on the side: aim for 1-3 cups of veggies per meal, and don't let fruit push veggies off your plate.

• Moderators

Breakfast Day 6:

Okay, that recipe looks yummy (possibly SWYPO, though), but 1/5 of it, if you made it strictly according to the directions, is less than two eggs, and that's really the only protein in it -- I'd be starving two hours later if that's all the protein I had! 

Also, plantain lasagna sounds intriguing -- is it like this one? That looks like it would be a great hearty meal on a cold day.

I know the streusel sounds sweet and like SWYPO, but all it really is is eggs and apples. In my mind it's not replacing anything I crave normally (like I don't normally eat apple streusel). There's 10 eggs and it lasts me five days. Nevertheless, perhaps I will make something different next week. As for dinner, I always have protein with dinner, plantain lasagna has beef. Wasn't really planning on having anyone read this so I wasn't really explaining lol. I pretty much make up my own recipe by now but the first time I made it I followed that exact recipe you posted Shannon.

Day 8

Breakfast- 1/5 of apple egg streusel, side of broccoli, half an avocado

Lunch- soup with kale, parsnips and beef

Dinner- eggs in purgatory with beef sauce, spaghetti squash with compliant marinara sauce, banana

on SWYPO. I hear you on not normally craving or eating apple strussel, but there is also a concern about balance and meeting the template. I really like Diane Sanfillipo and use her recipes a lot, but some of them just don't work in the context of a whole30. Here is my anecdote: Some time ago - between whole30s - I decided to try her sweet potato pancakes. I don't normally crave pancakes, and it's just sweet potato and egg, right? Well, I ate them with some veggies on the side, and they were super filling and mildly sweet and I didn't have room left for any other protein at that meal, and you know what? I actually FELT DIFFERENT that day. I was hungry for lunch sooner and craved carbs and even though I knew they weren't working for me, I somehow ended up finishing off the leftovers in just a couple days, snacking on them with almond butter (and I didn't even really like them!)

I'm just saying: do what you can to follow the guidelines really closely including the "palm of protein" 2 eggs is not enough. Why work this hard and not go just one small step further and see what happens? (ditto on the snacking, BTW, but you knew that, right?)

Thanks for the help, I already have a new recipe planned for breakfasts next week. I know the snacking is a result of not getting enough protein. Next week i will try to get in more. It is hard because I am committed to eating only clean sources of protein and it is very expensive.

Today I clearly didn't have enough protein, and the snacking confirms it.

Breakfast- rest of the apple muffins

Lunch- beef kale and parsnip soup

Snack- pistachios coconut larabar

If you are committed to clean source of protein (for which I applaud you) then prioritize that in your budget. That might mean not buying things like larabars and things that are nice to have but not necessary to making good simple foods. Buying your produce according to what is in season as well will leave you more money for your protein. Finding a local organic farmer can be a cheaper way to get good protein as well. 

I already do all those things you mentioned to save money" still struggling on the protein issue.

Dinner-

Coconut chicken curry with cauliflower rice, carrot sticks

Snacking was out of control Friday....I have a tendency to binge eat on Fridays and normally I'll have and few drinks. Even though I didn't drink I felt myself falling into old habits of 'Fridays don't count'. This was all a result of me of eating enough during the day as well. Next week I need to eat more protein and make sure I have enough food for the week, it is Saturday and we are scrounging for food right now.

Breakfast day 10-

Carrot and green apple has with two eggs

Snacking on almonds.....

Day 11:

Breakfast: banana, chuck roast, green beans, small amount of sweet potato

Snack: cashews and chuck roast

Lunch: sardines, spaghetti squash, apple

Dinner: chuck roast, cauliflower. Sweet potatoes

Not sure why I was so hungry today, don't really have an excuse.i tend to snack a lot when I'm cooking and it being the weekend I really have nothing else to do but think ab food. But back to work tomorrow. I slept better Friday and Saturday night. I did a killer yoga session but didn't lift. I'm still not doing any athlete modifications....

Day 12:

Breakfast spinach and artichoke egg casserole apple

Lunch: vegetable beef soup and half a tin of sardines

Dinner: ground beef with peppers and onions, 1/2 a baked plantain, guac and homemade salsa

Feeling amazing and my workouts are seeing the benefits. Although I experienced a little irregularity in the bathroom (sorry) after dinner and not sure why.

I forgot to add that I had bone broth for breakfast as well yesterday.

Day 13:

Breakfast- spinach and artichoke quiche, homemade salsa, roasted cauliflower, half a pear and a mug of bone broth

Lunch- Vegetable Beef Soup, half a baked plantain and guacamole

Snacked on pistachios throughout the day JUST because I had them. I seem to have an issue with just having to put something in my mouth even when I'm not hungry. This is when I usually grab a few nuts. Don't know how to stop this habit. I also snack while I am cooking and I have no idea how to stop. As far as snacking I know I can just choose not to. But when I'm cooking the food's right there!! Ugh

So I snacked on a couple of carrots and celery while making dinner.

Dinner-

Grass Fed burger, carrot fries, roasted cabbage avocado, homemade ketchup.

Archived