Can I have...too much salt?

Badwolf

I wasn't quite sure where to put this...

I put salt on nearly everything, especially breakfast food.  If I'm making eggs, kale, salad, or any kind of meat, there's gonna be salt involved!  I've found it's a good way to get myself to eat more veggies and it brings out the flavor in just about anything.

Say I make four eggs for breakfast, I'll use at least two pinches of salt.  I'll probably have a bunch of kale and maybe some sweet potato hash as well, so that's at least four more pinches of salt.

How much is too much?

you're probably fine. Yes, there's an upper limit...but most of the average american's salt intake comes from processed foods.  given that you've pulled all that stuff out for your whole30, you're probably good to go.  it's a spice, just like any other. just don't go hog wild. (I don't consider two pinches hog wild)

I used to think I didn't like salt.  About the only things I put it on were fried eggs and rare beef.  Now I realize it was because they were probably the only two items in my diet that didn't already have salt in them.  I was a bit concerned when I started eating this way that I seemed to be now salting everything. But like Renee said, I had taken out all the salt in the processed food, so I eventually relaxed about it.  I just make sure to use a good quality sea salt.

If you're using regular table salt, beware.  Most of it has sugar in it to help prevent it from clumping.  You have to read the labels, even on the salt box! 

I think there can be too much salt.  However, I started doing Paleo back in Feb 13 (but this is my first whole 30) and I had medication controlled HBP.  Once I cut out all the processed food crap, even with salting all my foods and homemade condiments, I was able to get my BP normal and drop the meds.  I'm thinking that just using salt in reasonable amounts for seasoning your food doesn't even come close to comparing how much salt is in SAD or processed foods. 

I also switched to sea salt from table salt, but if I'm stuck in a pinch, I would use the table salt sparingly.

• 3 years later...

I thought I'd be craving sweets once I started Whole30, but I am on Day 5 and all I want is some kind of cracker, etc.; a salty crunch.  I have Chomp sticks but wondering if anyone has any other suggestions.  Perhaps slicing sweet potato thin on a mandolin and baking until crisp? 

3 minutes ago, jb1367 said:

I thought I'd be craving sweets once I started Whole30, but I am on Day 5 and all I want is some kind of cracker, etc.; a salty crunch.  I have Chomp sticks but wondering if anyone has any other suggestions.  Perhaps slicing sweet potato thin on a mandolin and baking until crisp? 

I dip celery into homemade guacamole. But, not as a snack, just as part of a meal. It's a delicious way to get some fat and you get the crunchiness. 

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, jb1367 said:

The recommendation would be to try and resist these types of cravings... part of the plan is to really think about why you're eating/snacking and confront those issues of needing to snack.

I know that's not the answer you were probably looking for :)

Chomp sticks and other bars are approved for emergency 'I will harm you if I don't eat because I"ve been on this plane/life raft forever' eating.. not for snacking.  We want you to get in the habit of eating 3 meals a day.  If you want crunch on a salad or something, try a sprinkle of salted nuts/seeds (be careful with these, we don't recommend eating them everyday) or maybe a pickle?

1 hour ago, jb1367 said:

I don't crave crunchy things, but I will second the recommendation for pickles. I get the Kroger Private Selection brand dill spears for $2.99 a jar. Read your label; it might not have the same ingredients at all Krogers. (There are Simple Truth pickles too, but they are much more expensive). I know lots of other stores have compliant pickles as well. They're crunchy AND salty and they don't require any work. Pickles are also good to have on hand when you're having one of those "oh crap, I didn't prep enough" moments where you're trying to get dinner on the table and you need to put something on your stomach while you cook that doesn't have (natural) sugar in it. I had a lot of those moments early on, before I got into the swing of things. 

Good luck! 

I often have that moment when i get home from work and i know dinner is still a ways away. My go too is good olives from the Italian Market and thin slices of compliant salami or other hard salted meat.

1 minute ago, Georgina2 said:

I often have that moment when i get home from work and i know dinner is still a ways away. My go too is good olives from the Italian Market and thin slices of compliant salami or other hard salted meat.

Ooh, that sounds good and having protein and fat is a better snack from a Whole30 perspective if an emergency snack is needed! I know I definitely can't eat fruit on an empty stomach. I once ate an apple with almond butter while making dinner and I had the worst sugar cravings of my entire Whole30 that night. I thought the protein and fat in the almond butter would balance out the sugar in the apple, but for me it did not! It was after that experience that I started getting really serious with my food prep for the week on Sundays. 

Day 5?  Have you been salting your food enough since beginning W30? 

Sure, a part of your brain might be whining because waaaah, it wants the junk food.  

But it may also be your body saying "Hey!  My sodium levels are getting too low here. That salty, crunch stuff -- it has the salt I need! Gimme some of that!"     

22 hours ago, Carol said:

Day 5?  Have you been salting your food enough since beginning W30? 

Sure, a part of your brain might be whining because waaaah, it wants the junk food.  

But it may also be your body saying "Hey!  My sodium levels are getting too low here. That salty, crunch stuff -- it has the salt I need! Gimme some of that!"     

I've seen a couple of references to getting enough salt and am unsure of how much is enough. I know when I have too much salt, my blood pressure goes up. I basically just don't add salt to anything other than what the recipe calls for. A long time ago I read somewhere that natural foods have enough salt for our needs. What do you think?

I raised this question earlier but forgot to clic the Notify of replies button so don't know if I received an answer. Apologies for being such a techno-ditz.

Anyway, the question relates to several postings I have seen about getting enough salt. I have been trying to only use the salt called for in recipes as in the past if I've had too much salt my blood pressure goes up. I've heard that natural foods have enough salt for our needs. What do you think? I haven't noticed any salty/crunch cravings as of Day 7. Hard to judge energy level because a couple of days ago I came down with a truly miserable cold and am feeling pretty much like death warmed over.

• Moderators

Natural foods do not have salt in general so you need to salt your food.  With the removal of processed and packaged foods, you're removing almost 100% of your sodium intake.  Sodium/salt is essential to the human body so make sure you're salting your food.  

The whole thing with not salting your food due to bloodpressure concerns etc... is really only valid if you're eating packaged foods which have excessively high sodium levels.  Take a google and see if you can find the Daily recommended sodium intake and then calculate how much actual salt that is.  If you're not eating packaged foods, then you'll need to get your whole daily intake from adding salt to your food.

Here's your other post: 

If you want to find posts you've made, go to your profile and click 'my activity'

10 hours ago, Alaska Woman said:

I've seen a couple of references to getting enough salt and am unsure of how much is enough. I know when I have too much salt, my blood pressure goes up. I basically just don't add salt to anything other than what the recipe calls for. A long time ago I read somewhere that natural foods have enough salt for our needs. What do you think?

That is a tough question to answer.   Depends on which foods are being eaten, and if unusual circumstances are at play, such as endurance athletics.

This is my own test.    On the cutting board is coarse sea salt.    I use it for baking certain types of fish.     When this salt starts looking good enough to eat just as it is, then I know my sodium levels are too low.    Its usually not dieting that drops my sodium levels too low (I do salt my food), it's long days of hiking and not enough nourishment to recharge,

IMG_0324.JPG

1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Natural foods do not have salt in general so you need to salt your food.  With the removal of processed and packaged foods, you're removing almost 100% of your sodium intake.  Sodium/salt is essential to the human body so make sure you're salting your food.  

The whole thing with not salting your food due to bloodpressure concerns etc... is really only valid if you're eating packaged foods which have excessively high sodium levels.  Take a google and see if you can find the Daily recommended sodium intake and then calculate how much actual salt that is.  If you're not eating packaged foods, then you'll need to get your whole daily intake from adding salt to your food.

Here's your other post: 

Thank you for clarifying that and also for the info on finding my posts. I'll get the hang of this yet!

If you want to find posts you've made, go to your profile and click 'my activity'

1 hour ago, Carol said:

That is a tough question to answer.   Depends on which foods are being eaten, and if unusual circumstances are at play, such as endurance athletics.

This is my own test.    On the cutting board is coarse sea salt.    I use it for baking certain types of fish.     When this salt starts looking good enough to eat just as it is, then I know my sodium levels are too low.    Its usually not dieting that drops my sodium levels too low (I do salt my food), it's long days of hiking and not enough nourishment to recharge,

IMG_0324.JPG

Thank you. That's a good rule of thumb.

As suggested, I checked RDA for sodium and see that it's equivalent to 1 tsp daily. I measured out that amount and added some to each of my meals. Things tasted really salty to me and I had about 1/3 tsp left at end of day. Am assuming that my taste buds will acclimate to saltier meals and hoping that salt in recipes will make up the amount I don't add after cooking.

• Moderators

Awesome, good job!  1500mg is what Canada calls the Adequate intake, which is 3/4 of a teaspoon so you could try that much and see if it's more favorable?  2300mg is 1tsp and is what Canada calls 'Upper Limit'.

Most North Americans eat approximately 3400mg of sodium per day due to packaged and processed foods... altho it's much more difficult to taste that because of all the other nasties in that 'food'.

There's a bit in the book Eat the Yolks that I use as a guide... the more you need sodium, the more you'll like or crave the taste of salt... that's why the original straight Gatorade tastes divine after a long run but is not so great when you're just sitting on the sofa on a chill day.  Really try not to go under the RDA or AI (Adequate Intake) tho because sodium is essential to body function.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/nutrition/sodium/index-eng.php

Archived