May 5th start

Kage

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 5 of whole 30. It's been great until today! Yesterday I had alot of energy...woke up at 5am, in bed by 10pm. Today I woke up at 6am...and since about 10am my energy has just diminished and I feel like if I napped right now it would be for hours. I wonder if this is normal...?

Mom has "girls weekend" planned with friends and her sisters. Then  we show up Sunday morning to make her day special which means we cook her breakfast in bed, clean the house, go to church and then we will have her open gifts. I think we are combining my birthday this weekend too since our oldest is home from college this weekend.

We are all packed up and I have all the meat, fruit, and cashews that I will need to stay on track. Maybe I will try to make some of that mayo from pinecones and dirt this weekend....hahahaha....just kidding all! Canoe is going so we will get plenty of exercise and so is our Black Lab "KC" who loves to camp, swim, ......basically do whatever Dad is doing. Have a great weekend everyone and stay focused.

P.S. - Campjess, this is normal. Your body is looking for fuel. Make sure you are eating enough protein. Try eggs in the morning, they stay with you for a long time during the day and help keep you fueled. Stay the course, it will all smooth out soon.

Dave

Geminimik - here is my advice to you. Stop trying to be absolutely compliant with regards to bacon and sausage. I do not have the time to waste looking at every food item. I know....I know......its against the rules. I

Okay Dave,

Now that's advice I can handle.  I'm off to buy the sausage I love and take a deep breath. Indeed, as you, the level of clean eating and vegetables and water has to have my body jumping for joy..

Some tough love: if you choose to eat non-compliant food, then you're not doing a Whole30.  

However, if you feel it's best for you to do a modified Whole30 at this time, that's fine. If you want to track your food, we ask that you do so in the Post Whole30 log section, so newbies don't get confused when they see off-plan food in the Whole30 log area.

Thought I'd drop a quick message...Thank you to everyone for your support today! I looked online and found some places nearby where I can get whole30 compliant bacon. Since I messed up the first three days but have been good the past few, I will just add three more days on to the end.

My job interview went spectacular. One reason I felt confident was because I put on a shirt that I had bought sometime ago and never worn...two weeks ago it was still too tight in the wrong places, but today it fit perfect. It reaffirmed for me that this is all worth it, not for weight loss but because I know I am getting healthier! And that confidence from my interview is carrying over to tonight...I accepted a date for tonight. He is a chef so I suggested that we go to whole foods and come up with a whole30 compliant menu and cook together.

Thanks again for helping me thru my morning!!!

Omg day 5 has been the roughest so far!! I have been exhausted and irritable and have had a headache all day. I have also been at a battle of wills with my 2 yearold for over 24 hours over one peice of cantaloupe...she won't even try it. She has finally broke me!!

Not that it's been a peice a cake getting to day five but it hasn't been all that hard until today. Don't remember day5 being this rough for me last time I did whole30. Maybe my body has just taken longer this time to detox all the $hit I have put it in the last few months, And it's just giving me the finger today.

Boooooooooo day 5!!

On a positive note I do feel and look way less bloated.

Day 6 you have nothing on me....just please be better then day5.

TGIF

That's interesting. I have energy, but feel more bloated than normal, I think from all the veggies. Time will tell.

I have two sons, both were picky when there little tastebuds were hypersensitive, but now both are adventurous eaters. Just keep showing her how yummy it is!

Day 5 is done with thank goodness!!! I definitely had a very short fuse all day long, everyone annoyed me today.  My food intake was good though, no hunger pains. And I was able to recognize eating because I was stressed before I put the food in my mouth.  So I feel over all today was more positive than negative.  Tomorrow is going to be rough at work; we have a water safety expo that falls right during my normal lunch time. We'll see how I do. 

Start of day 5 for me. I started out trying to track what I eat -- I mean just listing what I ate, not quantities or calories or anything. I am not good at it. This is one of the multiple reasons I could never make Weight Watchers work! :-)

I'm going to try making ghee this afternoon. Its been on my list all week of things to do but with work, kids and soccer games I have not had the time or energy.

I never have purchased coconut milk before. I bought it in a can (after finding the brand suggested by some other people on here "Thai" I think? it still has guar gum in it -- should I use it? Why isn't there any 100% pure?). I opened the can and it seemed solid which really confused me and then further down in the can there was liquid. I've just never used it before so I had no idea that would be the consistency. It was tasty -- but I've only had a couple of tablespoons of it so far. I usually drink my coffee black anyway, so its not really needed there.

I'm rambling a lot, I know. Some other random thoughts; why I am getting mild heartburn sometimes? I never get heartburn! Its almost not even heartburn; "pre heartburn"? The only time I ever had it was during pregnancies. I am not pregnant, so what gives?

Ok, enough rambling for now. :P

That sounds right for the consistency for coconut milk. I'm in Australia so available products are different but the one I buy just has coconut and water in it nothing else.

Good Morning Everyone!

Day 6 and still going strong.

Hope everyone else is feeling great.

Yesterday was a busy day for me, cutting, chopping, cooking, preparing but I managed to fill two fridges for the week (as my children really enjoy some of the things that I am preparing and will just grab into the fridge so I made alot of extra).

Just a reminder to everyone to read there labels even if you think that something is still the same. I went to the grocery store yesterday and was going to buy one of the products that I had used previously, I do not know why but I looked at the label and it was not the same, the ingredients that is. It now had sugar in it, so I thought.... o crap I read the label wrong and I would have to start over again. :o 

Upon my arrival at home, I looked at the same product that I had in my pantry and no it did not have sugar. So I guess the product ingredients has changed.

So I had a moment of panic but all is good .... YAHOO !

Well everyone have a great weekend..... had trouble getting on the site last night and early this morning. :wub: 

DonnaR

Heading to Costco today so will pick up the Aidels sausage (after reading the label). Donna that is really interesting that they felt the need to add sugar, for us to eat more of it?) I think I'm really a bit suspicious with respect to marketing.

Today might be my first corner. I woke at 5:30 am rarin to go, and hungry (first time (day 6 for me)). I am committing to eating at a table and not snacking. It is so ingrained in my psyche, I just have to let it go.

For breakfast I'm having my leftover chicken veggie hash with a softcooked egg on top and a 1 cup bowl of blue berries, apples and strawberries. I'm going to the farmer's market and I'm not going to taste (they put out all these fruit tasters). I'm going to buy whatever I want and cut it up for my 1 pm meal. I don't feel quite full, but I bet I will in 20 minutes.

Pain is still reduced although still have pain in thumb/wrist area, hip, shoulders. What will it be like to be pain free...this week I'm committed to making mayo and lettuce wraps - besides that it will be a potpouri crapshoot....which has been VERY GOOD.

Stay focused, stay hydrated.

MamaMiki

Day 6 is already starting better then day 5. Woke up at 7:30 feeling good. Hoping to get a workout in today.

I'm a bit worried about tonight, we have a BBQ to go to. I know I won't cheat but I just need to come prepared as possible so I won't be hungry. Our friends don't mean to be negative about whole30 but they kind of are which is annoying. A lot of people don't understand it and either will say they would try it but just pick and choose what they would eliminate, or they say there is no way I couldn't drink for 30 days. Just to be clear most of my friends including myself are functioning alcoholics;).

Well wish me luck!! This will be my first social outing on whole30. I think this would be so much harder if I was a working mom. Being a stay at home mom helps a lot with food prep or lack there of.

Have a great weekend,

Terra

I'm still here, plugging away.  I travel every weekend to work and am sitting here with a mason jar of broccoli-asparagus-bacon soup, and a mason jar of egg salad with homemade mayo.  I had left a three-compartment ziplock container at work with my dinner (roasted chicken and asparagus), so dinner was waiting for me when I got here.  (I work two 16-hour shifts on Fri/Sat nights and sleep in a hotel sat day.)  I just started this schedule so am nervous about falling off the wagon.

Yesterday Whole Foods had a beautiful paleo breakfast pizza made with half a roasted sweet potato as the base, a fried egg on top, sprinkled with bacon.  It was delicious. 

I was at Whole Foods trying to buy lunch for my kindergarteners' school field trip.  I was sorely tempted to buy their lunchables-type box lunch to make my kids happy, but I ended up buying them chicken salad from the deli and coconut-milk yogurt.  After the hissy fit I had about my husband off-roading when things get hard, I had to give myself a talking-to about wanting to do the same thing.  Paleo with kids is hard, but my kids' adhd behaviors are so severe that anything that might reduce their hyperactivity is worth the extra effort.

Feeling great so far today after 3 days of headaches and being light headed. Really hoping this feeling lasts all day! Made it through some tough challenges yesterday too. It's tough when family unknowingly attempts to sabotage! No I really can't have just a sip or just a bite!

It has been great reading everyone's different stories so far. Since i started may 6th, I'm one day behind, today I woke up with a slight headache but one cup of coffee later, I'm feeling pretty good. So far so good. It's so nice that so many of us are doing this together. Looking forward to seein everyone's progress!

This forum is so active I don't really get to read all the posts but @AuburngalNC that was such a cute and creative idea for a date and I hope it went really well! 

Is anyone struggling with a lack of appetite? Today I ate a big breakfast- 2 eggs, sweet potato hash browns, and homemade breakfast sausage patties- but didn't eat lunch till 4. (Ok so I guess I kind of skipped lunch and this is an early dinner). 
On the other hand, no matter how much I eat at dinnertime, I'm always going to bed a little hungry. 

Congratulations to all the 5/5-ers who are nearing the end of week 1! 

Is it ok to admit that more than any food, I miss weighing myself every morning? I think it's totally brilliant to wait 30 days because my mood totally hangs on that- or as Melissa said in the GMA clip- I wouldn't even be noticing other aspects of eating this way if I were weighing myself daily because I'd be so focused on the weight aspect.

This forum is so active I don't really get to read all the posts but @AuburngalNC that was such a cute and creative idea for a date and I hope it went really well! 

Is anyone struggling with a lack of appetite? Today I ate a big breakfast- 2 eggs, sweet potato hash browns, and homemade breakfast sausage patties- but didn't eat lunch till 4. (Ok so I guess I kind of skipped lunch and this is an early dinner). 

On the other hand, no matter how much I eat at dinnertime, I'm always going to bed a little hungry. 

Congratulations to all the 5/5-ers who are nearing the end of week 1! 

Is it ok to admit that more than any food, I miss weighing myself every morning? I think it's totally brilliant to wait 30 days because my mood totally hangs on that- or as Melissa said in the GMA clip- I wouldn't even be noticing other aspects of eating this way if I were weighing myself daily because I'd be so focused on the weight aspect.

I had the exact same breakfast!  Also the first time making my own sausage, it turned out great.  As far as the scale, that was one of the things that I looked forward to and was happy to se that it was a rule to stay off the scale.  I'm doing this for way more than losing weight but man I realized how much I have become a slave to my scale!  I'm so happy to not have to think about weighing myself!  I've lost quite a bit of weight over the past few years but it's been a challenge to keep it off & my energy has been way to low for my liking.  I'm excited to see the progress as we move forward through this together...

I survived the scorching Florida eat today and day 6!!!  Knowing I wouldn't get to eat lunch at my normal time, I ate breakfast a bit later than normal.  I believe the heat today made me hungry a bit earlier than normal, but I stuck it out and had lunch once I was home from work.  I did have a hard time getting dinner down this evening.  

On a side note though, kudos to y'all that have kids; it was so hard to resist the dinner I made for my nephew!!! And all the bad food in my sisters house, I am so happy that I brought my own food over.  

Congrats to everyone on almost completing the first week!! 

Morning all, just starting day 7 here and can't believe how quickly it has gone. My skin is already clearing up beautifully, my body is happy :)

@kaeteee I hear you. We try to keep our children's food home made and non-processed so often it is just a deconstructed version of ours. I am not happy to remove dairy or whole grains from their diet and none of them is displaying any Heath issues or food intolerances (luckily) so they would have potatoes, brown basmati rice or pasta with their meals but otherwise we all eat similar. EXCEPT Saturday nights, Saturday night is pizza night and that is sacrosanct. It's homemade from scratch (well the base and sauce, we buy in the cheese lol) so relatively wholesome but a big Paleo no no. Last night I was on pizza making duty and it was torture. My daughter complained that I had put too much cheese on it, I think I was living vicariously through them lol .. It smelled like the nicest ever pizza, ever, ever! But I was good and had my polish pork and saurkraut dish which I really love and here I am on day 7 :D

Good morning!!! Day 8 for me...can't believe it! I know all about the scale obsession. I read something a couple years ago where it was recommended you get a scale that measures to 2/10 of a lb. so that you can see even the smallest amount of progress. So I too became a slave of my scale. Friday was the hardest day and I was discouraged, but instead of cheating and stepping on the scale, I took a picture of myself and compared it to my before pictures. I could already see a difference!! I have decided now that every Friday of the Whole30 I will take a picture.

My dad normally mows my grass, but he is out of town.To tell you the size of my yard which I used a push mower on, I took 12,000 steps (roughly 6 miles walked) to mow my front and side yards! I did ice my knees last night and took Advil and Tylonol but I am happy to say this morning I am no more worse for wear!

I am lucky that my son loves the food changes. He eats what I eat for breakfast and dinner. For lunch he has even started taking some leftovers like my tuna or chicken salad but on whole grain bread. I have also swapped out his peanut butter for no sugar added almond butter and his ham for no preservative Boar's Head ham. They are little changes that make me feel like I am doing better by him. I am teaching him that it isn't hard to swap some things out for the better!!!

Happy Mother's Day to all you moms!!! Today I am making a special meal of skewered steak with cherry barbeque sauce (Nomnompaleo), vegetable kabobs, and for desert a pumpkin custard that is sweetened with pureed pears.

Have a great day!!!!

Happy Mother's Day !

Day 7 and things still rolling, last night was hard while I was watching TV.

Although I was not hungry I wanted to snack but held off.

Sounds like everyone is rolling along.

Have a great day.

Archived