May 5th start

Kage

Good Morning 5/5s,

Happy Mother's Day to all the amazing moms and a big shout out to the wonderful husbands and children that are making our day special!

Today is day 8 for me and I'm exhausted. Had a dinner party/jacuzzi evening at my house yesterday which was a lot of prep and clean up. Basically served on program, steak, shrimp scallops, grilled asparagus, broccoli & beets, fruit salad. I felt very satisfied and was not compelled to eat before bed which is a huge step for me.

Welcome back Dave, we missed you!

I'm hungry again this am (a new phenomenon for me), and it makes me nervous to eat one of my only 3 meals so early. i know it's a strange thing to say, but I guess I've always saved my food till the end of the day as some kind of reward, so losing a whole third of  my meals be 8am almost causes me anxiety.

I too have weighed my self every day (okay, several times a day) to decide if I am doing GOOD or BAD for the day. It is scaring me to death because I feel like I'm eating way too much food and that I'm going to be 10 pounds heavier by the end of 30 days. I am trying not to be scared and honestly, if I could live the rest of my life without reading a new diet book or having to face the judgement of the scale every morning, it would be nothing short of a small miracle.

Okay, off to the Jacuzzi and then get ready for the Mother's Day party at my house.

Hugs to all.

Keep it clean and whole!

GEM

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 7, Woohoo! Seems to be getting easier, yea! Family is becoming more supportive and instead of giving me a hard time, they are asking,"is this something you can try?" And when the answer is no, there is no complaints.

Happy Mother's day to all the mommies and mommies to be!

One week down! Keep strong everyone.

Great Job Tara.

I'm a little foggy today, and the only thing I can think is I went to CPK for lunch with the girls. i had a plane Ice Tea...and a morocan chick salad. They said no sugar in the marinade and I had them hold the dressing, but just not feeling amazing. Maybe just another day of detox for me. Will try to drink a lot of water today and enjoy the family. Everything is home today so i can control the ingredients.

Happy Mother's Day to all! Geminimik....hang in there and STAY OFF THAT SCALE! Stick to what you are doing and you will be happy with the results. I have gone to weighing myself once a week now (if I remember) and I have lost another 3 pounds taking my Whole 30 total to 20 pounds and my total weight loss to 34 pounds. Just in time for summer weather. Have a great day everyone.

Dave

Hello 5/5 family. It has been a few days. Hope everyone is doing well!

I am noticing that the quality of my sleep has improved significantly. Wow. 

Last night I ate an early dinner (6.00pm, zoodles - I bought a spiralizer - so cool - with Nomato Buffalo Bolognaise - SO GOOD. I am doing no nightshades), went out to the movies, had a sparkling water afterwards with a friend, came home and slept almost TEN hours. Wow. I wonder if eating early helped the sleep. Since I usually finish work around 8 I'm not usually able to eat til 9ish. 

I could totally relate to this morning's Whole 30 e mail. I feel like a staple snack of my day is apple with almond butter. Once or even twice.  I love it. Is this giving me a little sugar boost/treat feeling? Maybe probably. I am going to try to get off the apples and almond butter for the next three weeks. 

Happy Mothers Day to all Moms and folks mothering anything be it parents, pets, or friends. xo

Campjess757- I feel like I hit a wall too. I am wiped out. I never nap but today I am exhausted.

I think part of the reason for my exhaustion is due to a new sleep issue. My climate is extremely dry and at night when my nose plugs up, I breath through my mouth. In the middle of the night I wake up with extreme cotton mouth. In the past I would pop in a cough drop but I can't find any compliant cough drops. I did find one that contained brown rice syrup-which I suppose is another name for sugar. The boards say to drink tea but at 2:00 am, I just want to go back to sleep. With my asthma and allergies, my doctor advised me to NOT use a humidifier. So as a sugar-freak, I miss the cough drop the most. Who would have thought?

Deb C- today's email hit home for me. I have a handful of nuts everyday. I am going to stop that going forward.

Happy Mother's Day to all those of you who mother. (Trying to move my young kids to this new way of eating has been a challenge but that's a whole other post)

Renee

Good Morning 5/5s,

Happy Mother's Day to all the amazing moms and a big shout out to the wonderful husbands and children that are making our day special!

Today is day 8 for me and I'm exhausted. Had a dinner party/jacuzzi evening at my house yesterday which was a lot of prep and clean up. Basically served on program, steak, shrimp scallops, grilled asparagus, broccoli & beets, fruit salad. I felt very satisfied and was not compelled to eat before bed which is a huge step for me.

Welcome back Dave, we missed you!

I'm hungry again this am (a new phenomenon for me), and it makes me nervous to eat one of my only 3 meals so early. i know it's a strange thing to say, but I guess I've always saved my food till the end of the day as some kind of reward, so losing a whole third of  my meals be 8am almost causes me anxiety.

I too have weighed my self every day (okay, several times a day) to decide if I am doing GOOD or BAD for the day. It is scaring me to death because I feel like I'm eating way too much food and that I'm going to be 10 pounds heavier by the end of 30 days. I am trying not to be scared and honestly, if I could live the rest of my life without reading a new diet book or having to face the judgement of the scale every morning, it would be nothing short of a small miracle.

Okay, off to the Jacuzzi and then get ready for the Mother's Day party at my house.

Hugs to all.

Keep it clean and whole!

GEM

Please please please hide the scale until your Whole30 is done.  It is such a fundamental rule of the program and for changing your relationship with food. Focus instead on how you're feeling and what you're noticing physically, emotionally and energy-wise as you go through the process.

Day 7 was probably the worst eating wise for me.  I woke up way later than normal and had to wait for everyone else to wake to cook breakfast for the group.  My breakfast kept me full all day, but then I was stuck out and about shopping this afternoon when hunger hit, so I had to eat a larabar.  Once I was home I saw the bananas on the counter and just out of instinct I grabbed it to eat.  I was able to stay on track with dinner with a house hold full of people eating differently.  While I was out earlier, I did stop by starbucks for a drink.  Normally I would get the vanilla macchiato, but today I tried an unsweetened passion tea and it was great, so refreshing.  I stopped by the grocery store on the way home for a box to have at home.  It will definitely keep me from getting sick of water.

renee_a.......the dry cotton mouth is going to happen and you will notice yourself drinking much more water. Have plenty handy. I was getting to the point that my lips were getting chapped and it seemed like I could never quench my thirst. Keep up the good work.

Dave

Clarifications.

I normally weigh every day. I have not weighed for the last 7 days, that is what is scaring me.

I don't get the newsletter, can someone tell me what it said about a handful of nuts or apples and almond butter?

GFChris - How long have you been working this program? I am still struggling with snacking. I'm staying with it, but certainly don't feel perfect and I know perfection is the key to getting the "full cleanse".

It is amazing how great you start to feel!

Miki

@Geminimik

It said :

(just tried to cut and paste the graphic and it wouldn't let me)

but the summary says it:

Relying too heavily on less nutritious foods, over-consuming fruit, nuts, and nut butters, getting stuck in the “numbers†and not eating enough can lead to a less successful Whole30 program.

We're not expecting your Whole30 to be PERFECT—but we do want to warn you, these behaviors can put a crimp in your results. If any of these sound familiar, that's okay… just by sticking to the program, you're already making enormous headway! But think about shifting some of these behaviors over the course of the next three weeks, as you're ready, and see if you can't move towards your goals all the faster.

Morning, day 8 :)

Yesterday was not my best day. I work nights and for the second day in a row my lovely husband inadvertently woke me up after 3.5hrs sleep. Enough for me not to be able to return to sleep but not enough to function on. So yesterday I was like a bag of cats. Then last night, to cap it all off, I brought a most disgusting salad to work. Too little dressing and tough spinach leaves left me feeling like I was chewing grass. Luckily, or unluckily, not sure how to view it, I am completely unable to get alternative food once in work so I just had to eat it like a big girl and move on. I was too hungry not to. But the memories of it are still strong with me lol

I hope all the mothers had a lovely day yesterday. We celebrate Mother's Day in March here.

Since doing my first whole30 last summer I never got back into the daily scales habit. I too used to base how I felt about myself on what the numbers held and it was a ridiculous bind. For the past year I have only weighed myself when I felt I needed to. It's rarely a surprise, my clothes will have already told me everything I need know. I'll commit to at least 30 days away from it for now too.

On the thirst thing, I definitely feel it levels out. I do drink more now than I used to but I suspect that was because in the past I was mistaking hunger for thirst so I wasn't drinking enough and eating too much. These days I always keep small bottle of sparkling water in the fridge, I like how they cut through the thirst, I often add a lime wedge for a bit of flavour.

We're on to our second week, well done us :D

I have finally figured out what is needed for breakfast to make it til lunch without snacking! 3 whole eggs and an apple (I like making deviled eggs some mornings). I still have a small snack of some nuts in the afternoon to make it to dinner but I'm not too worried about it.

@Freylah...do you have a refrigerator at work or a lunch box with an ice pack? I suggest for your meals while working to take a chicken breast (already cooked), tuna salad, or hard boiled eggs to get your protein. Bags of pre-cut veggies and fruit are great too. I always carry a bag of almonds and an apple in my purse as a just in case small meal. I know if takes a bit more planning when you have such a long shift, but I'm confident you will figure out some options.

Keep it up everyone!

Oh...I tried the yummiest recipe last night that was quick to make and kid approved! http://www.wholefamilystrong.com/2012/01/24/whole-family-paleo-spicy-coconut-shrimp/

I have finally figured out what is needed for breakfast to make it til lunch without snacking! 3 whole eggs and an apple (I like making deviled eggs some mornings).

Hey auburngaNC, half-way there :) . The recommendation is for a palm-size portion of protein, a thumb of fat (one could argue your eggs are covering both bases), the rest of your plate filled with vegetables, with fruit as optional. I know I didn't believe a couple cups of vegetables would make a big difference, but they really really do! Worth trying, do you think? to really get the most out of the program?

Steamed and cold broccoli or green beans work nicely on the run, along with any veggies you like raw (like cucumber slices, red and yellow bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, etc.)

Good Morning 5/5,

Week 1 in the books and onto week two.

Little tired this morning but still hanging in there, it is great to read all the posts on how everyone is doing!

I enjoy reading everyone on this forum with how they are feeling, what is working and what is not.

It gives me strength to keep on going, so thank you everyone. :)

All the tips help me too and the recipes, keep it coming!

It certainly helps me get thru the day.

My breakfast this morning was sweet potato fried in a little coconut oil, with two poached eggs, a small beet,an orange, black coffee and lemon water.

I find if I eat a little more at breakfast, it is the start to carry me through the rest of the day. If I find that it is one of those days, I add some other type of left over vege from the night before. So this morning I added a little bit of beets because I just felt that I might be struggling today.

Keep up the good work everyone!

@ Freylah... I did the same thing last week, brought my salad but not enough dressing and struggled to get through it. You did, I did not. 

And the water issue, I think my body did the same..... I was probably thirsty but thought I was hungry.

Have a great day everyone!

DonnaR

Hey auburngaNC, half-way there :) . The recommendation is for a palm-size portion of protein, a thumb of fat (one could argue your eggs are covering both bases), the rest of your plate filled with vegetables, with fruit as optional. I know I didn't believe a couple cups of vegetables would make a big difference, but they really really do! Worth trying, do you think? to really get the most out of the program?

Steamed and cold broccoli or green beans work nicely on the run, along with any veggies you like raw (like cucumber slices, red and yellow bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, etc.)

I did do a little better this morning. I made my eggs with peppers, onions, grape tomatoes, spinach, and prosciutto..YUM!

Deb C, first of all, both of those recipes look amazing. Thank you so much for reiterating what was said in the newsletter. I should probably get it for at least a month, but somedays I just feel like I already have too much to sift through.

I am having some challenges but doing the absolute best I can. I have my birthday coming next week and then Disneyland with my kids. I'm packing my lunch and we're getting a locker. Disneyland is not about food, it's about rides and being happy!

Freylah, what you posted about the scale  SO hit home with me. I have been a slave to the scale and the latest diet craze all of my life. I would be so grateful to be able to live and eat like a normal human being. More than anything, I would love to get out on the tennis court and workout for two hour and know that I would be okay afterwards.

I have left over grilled veggies from mother's day bbq, so will heat those with a little Aidels sausage (thanks to whoever recommended that) and a scrambled egg, can't wait. Lunch is leftover salad with leftover steak and dinner is leftover scallops with left over grilled veggies. I'm not a big fan of cooking but I could really get used to this leftover thing.

Maybe I'll make mayo tonight - I think that would really add something to my W30 lifestyle.

And, I'm going to start stocking my refrig with some lime bubbly water, GOOD IDEA.

Clarifications.

I normally weigh every day. I have not weighed for the last 7 days, that is what is scaring me.

I don't get the newsletter, can someone tell me what it said about a handful of nuts or apples and almond butter?

GFChris - How long have you been working this program? I am still struggling with snacking. I'm staying with it, but certainly don't feel perfect and I know perfection is the key to getting the "full cleanse".

It is amazing how great you start to feel!

Miki

Miki,

I did my Whole30 about a year ago. Since then, I eat Whole30 style ~90% of the time. 

A couple things:

- the Whole30 isn't a cleanse - it's a start to changing your relationship with food.

- don't aim for feeling perfect (not sure that perfect is out there 100% of the time). Aim for feeling good/great, more often than not. 

- on the snacking thing, the idea is not to graze (re: balancing hormonal rhythms), and not to snack out of habit or boredom. Focus on creating meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours, using the recommended meal template,  to help minimize snacking.  If you are genuinely hungry in between meals (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini-meal containing a protein and fat. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30.

Glad to hear you're not weighing during your Whole30.  Take a look at this article that powerfully illustrates the meaningless of the scale's number. http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/

Hi Everyone! 

Miki- I love having leftovers too! I am pretty used to cooking all 3 meals from scratch daily (my husband works from home) but it's a lot easier to dump a box of pasta in the water that grate, chop, saute, steam, etc.... :) 

I'm really trying to make extras of everything when I cook. 

I really don't know if I can handle a ton of veggies first thing in the morning. I make sweet potato hash with fried eggs often but I guess I should figure out a different breakfast that would include more veggies. 

I'm glad to see so many other ppl can relate with scale addiction! I loved Freylah's point that she basically knows her weight by how her clothes fit. Brilliant! I actually have a few pairs of pants that I know won't fit unless I'm at a specific weight. 

I started an instagram account for my whole30- bluegrass_whole30, and it's nice to look over the delicious meals I've made and I'm even creating a few recipes to share there! 

Hope everyone has a great day. 

I just found this board and really enjoy hearing how everyone is doing and what the journey is like for others.  This is my first attempt at the Whole30 and I had plenty of doubts.  I am extremely happy to be taking this challenge and look forward to the positive change in my health. 

Day 8 finds me feeling well! I was a 'dessert' coffee drinker and tried to go with just a cup of black everyday.  This seemed to mess with my sleep as I woke every morning at 3:30 until I cut the  coffee out all together.  I did this on day 5 and have not missed it a bit.  I sleep through the night waking ready to go. 

I look forward to this second week of the Whole30 and  being able to count on all of you for additional support.  My family eats what I prepare for meals but they are not completely Whole30 compliant.  I feel the baby steps are better than nothing at this point so that maybe next time they will try to embrace it whole-heartedly.

Have a great day, all!

Day 8... I am feeling better.  One thing that worries me -- this does not feel very difficult to me.  I'm sorry if that offends some people; I'm not trying to brag.  It actually makes me nervous.  Shouldn't I have more trouble sticking to the plan?  and I am sticking to it.  I have not "cheated".  I should probably be very thankful that I am not struggling.

My usual day eating:

breakfast = black coffee, eggs over veggies sometimes w/ paleo mayo.  Piece of fruit on about 1/2 the days.

lunch = salad w/ fresh and or leftover cooked veggies.  Usually w/ avacado.  Meat (usually leftover from the previous night) and/or hard boiled eggs.  I also made meat chili and put it over spaghetti squash for a couple of lunches.

Dinner = meat, sauteed veggies.  

I've also had a couple of snacks with fruit and coconut flakes or coconut milk.  Or a handful of almonds.  I know I need to add some protein to my snacks but have not worked that in.  I don't have snacks every day though.

Blissfully, I am normally not hungry between meals so far.  Also, I am falling asleep faster and sleeping deeper.  One thing I noticed that i have not seen anywhere else yet -- is my contact lenses don't seem to dry out anymore.  What an awesome benefit!!!  And if its not the food I am eating causing that, I don't know what else it is.  I don't miss bread!!!!  I think I would miss homemade bread though......  and I don't miss pasta or rice either.  I do miss mashed potatoes a little.  Also, I'm not a drinker -- so no alcohol to miss; but I know lots of friends where the alcohol would be the hardest part.  Some people just like their glass of wine or beer; so I'm also thankful to not be missing that.  I've had my day where Whole30 would not have worked.....I can tell you how many "points" are in every beer out there, practically....  :-)

I sure hope nothing comes along and smacks me back into reality.  And, maybe this will rub off onto my family -- they see it as just another gimmick I am doing to lose weight (not my main goal here....to FEEL better is the goal!).

@jlmathis14- Don't feel guilty! I am not feeling that it is that hard to stick to either. I even went out to eat at Outback Steakhouse yesterday and while my son was eating the bread and their yummy salad with cheese and croutons, I didn't feel the urge to cheat. I am not having any trouble finding yummy recipes, but do struggle sometimes with eating large enough portions! :) What a rough life!!!

@bluegrass_mama- I'm doing the instagram thing too! I'm following you. I'm auburngalnc on there too!

@ileen- Welcome to the party!!!

Archived