Physibeth's 2nd Whole 30 - May 12th - June 10th

Physibeth

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks ladies. I had restless sleep last night with weird dreams but I do feel much better this morning. Still coughing a bit but my throat feels better and my sinuses are less stuffed. I'm going to go through with my plans for this morning for better or for worse and take it easy the rest of the day. I guess we'll see how it goes. ;)

I wanted that throat coat tea last night but I realized when I got it out of the cupboard that it has stevia in it and "natural honey flavoring" whatever that means. So I made a cup of the breathe deep tea instead which I didn't finish. I don't love the licorice taste so much. But it was soothing.

My new post workout meal is working for me but I'm already getting tired of it. I might experiment with some other options again post whole 30. Mostly for variety. But the texture of the eggs with pureed vegetable is much easier for me to take after a workout than something like chicken.  

Too bad about the tea. The licorice taste in so many herbals does take getting used to. The only eat I could sleep when I had that horrible itchy throat cough was to prop myself up on an obnoxiously fluffy pillow so I was almost sitting.

Feel better! We were all really tired and run down when we had that. Just blah and in need of a nap. 😩

I've not been doing ACV tea. It just doesn't appeal to me without the honey but perhaps I need to suck it up.  :P I'm feeling a ton better today. I'm still all stuffed up but my throat doesn't feel as sore today. I made it through training and massage and was actually feeling ok. Then I went to our community group bbq at a park that is really a playing field with picnic tables and stood around in the grass for a couple of hours last night. Super stuffed after that. I think part of the problem is I got a cold on top of the allergies I was already suffering from. Taking it easy this am and teaching tonight.

Day 24 Recap

Meal 1 (7:30am): 4 eggs scrambled with kale sauteed in bacon fat, 2 strips bacon, black coffee

Exercise (10:00am): Personal training ~50 mins

Post WO (11:30am): 1 cup egg whites scrambled with 1/2 can pumpkin puree and cinnamon

3:00pm: grande decaf iced americano

4:30pm: 1 hard boiled egg 

Meal 2 (5:00pm): 2 mild Italian chicken sausages (no sugar) with mayo and mustard, medium sweet potato spiralized and sauteed in bacon fat, 2 pickles, mango, papaya, and pineapple slices

Meal 3 (10pm): 2 grass fed hot dog with mayo and mustard, sauerkraut

12pm: 1 hard boiled egg

So my food yesterday was a bit wonky. I wasn't hungry before I went for my massage and that ended up going a little late so I didn't get back until I was supposed to meet a friend at Starbucks for coffee. We stopped in Trader Joe's after where I picked up a bunch of things I needed plus a bag of already peeled hard boiled eggs and I ate one in the car on the ride home because I was pretty hungry at that point. I think I'm going to turn the rest into egg salad for dinner tonight. I also picked up a bunch of fruit at TJs. I don't really eat that much fruit anymore but I was kind of in the mood today. That said I had like 3 servings of it after meal 2.  :ph34r: The tropical fruits just felt really good on my throat so I kept eating them. Stayed up WAY too late again last night. Should have called it a night after I finished watching So You Think You Can Dance but I didn't. When I did go to sleep I pretty much slept like the dead up until about 8:30am with one exception where I woke up coughing violently but was able to settle right back down once I dealt with the phlegm.   :rolleyes:  Fell back asleep again and got up around 9:30. Still only about 7 hours of sleep though. I can do better. I need to go to bed by 10. 

• Moderators

Sometimes you just have to listen to your body even if it goes against the plan. Glad you soothed yourself and got some good sleep even if it's still not as much as you would like! Also glad you're feeling better. Sounds like you're solidly on the mend!

Question for those who have bought meat shares before (if any are reading this). I'm looking at buying a 20 lb box of grass fed/finished beef and a 20 lb box of heritage pork. What kind of space does that realistically take up in a freezer? 

Question for those who have bought meat shares before (if any are reading this). I'm looking at buying a 20 lb box of grass fed/finished beef and a 20 lb box of heritage pork. What kind of space does that realistically take up in a freezer? 

Do you have a small freezer or a separate deep freezer?  If a regular fridge, it will take up the entire freezer.   A deep freezer, approximately 1/8 - 1/4th of the freezer.   If you barely have room, cram all of it in there anyway.  You'll be glad you did.

I have a pretty small freezer. Of all the apartments I've lived in this might be the smallest fridge/freezer I've had. I guess I could order it and if I can't fit it in try and find friends to buy off what I can't fit? Or see if anyone with a chest freezer would store it for me. I won't get the meat until August so I have time to clean out and buy some organizing bins. I've entirely too much stuff in there that I don't really use much of. I'm also considering 4 pastured whole chickens that I would get at the end of this month. There is this local site called Farmstr and that is where I'm finding this stuff. 

Day 25 Recap

Meal 1 (9:30am): 4 eggs scrambled with kale sauteed in bacon fat, 2 strips bacon, black coffee

Meal 2 (2pm): grass fed burger with mayo, medium sweet potato spiralized and sauteed in bacon fat, 2 pickles

Meal 3 (5:30pm): egg salad (4 eggs, mayo, mustard) with 2 strips of bacon crumbled in it, large cucumber sliced (delivery system for the egg salad...nom)

Exercise (7pm): Teach WIM 1 hr

Post WO (9pm): 1 cup egg whites scrambled with pureed sweet potato and cinnamon, also drank a coconut water in the car on the way home

My class went well tonight. I sounded a bit like a frog though. This is usually the last stage of things for me though so hoping I really feel better tomorrow. No late night for me tonight. ;)

Sleep last night was a bit better. Lights went out at 11:30 I think. I woke up a little before 1 for no apparent reason and was having trouble resettling so I ate a banana and read for a while and think lights went out again around 2 and I slept until 7:30. Couldn't go back to sleep at that point. Still feeling on the mend this morning. Still a little stuffy but seems to be clearing now that food and coffee have hit my system and I've been upright for a little while. Debating going dancing tonight. If I go I probably won't stay long because I'm teaching BODYPUMP at 8:30 tomorrow morning. Need to clean the kitchen again today as it has gotten out of hand again. Why is it so hard to spend 5 minutes unloading the dishwasher when it is done so that this doesn't keep happening?  :rolleyes:

First pickup for my summer CSA is today. Hooray!

Glad you are starting to feel better!  And yay for your meat purchase.  We're picking up our butchered pig tomorrow.  I'm a bit wary of what 200+ pounds looks like!  :blink:

So jealous! I wish I had a case freezer. Or even space for a case freezer. Some day.

Picked up my CSA. Lot's of lettuce, turnips, baby bok choy, napa cabbage (which looks like lettuce to me), and some other lettuce type of thing that starts with a k? I should have snapped a picture of the board so I could remember what I had. ;) I also picked some kale. And I bought some oregano, dill, chives, basil, and pickle bush cucumber starts. Let's see if I can not kill these. ;)

I love baby bok choy. And of course all cabbages. Sounds like a nice early summer assortment! Enjoy. And congrats on the meat purchase. When we move out of the city the FIRST thing I buying is a big ol' freezer. I dream of it!

That does sound good Sara! I've not made scallops in a while. I tend to stick to canned tuna and salmon for my seafood. Maybe this week though. Do you cook the shredded cabbage? Will these looser leaves shred in my food processor because I know I can't shred them with a knife. 

The mystery vegetable is komatsuna which is also similar to bok choy. Need to sit down and figure out how to use all these veggies this week. I don't want anything to go to waste.

Day 26 Recap (I think that is right)

Meal 1 (7:30am): 4 eggs scrambled with sauteed kale, 2 strips bacon, black coffee (I know, boring)

Meal 2 (12pm): grassfed burger with mayo, medium sweet potato spiralized and sauteed, 3 pickles (I know, boring)

3pm: bottle of kombucha

Meal 3 (6pm): 2 mild Italian chicken sausages (compliant) wrapped in giant green lettuce leaves with mayo and mustard, 5 or 6 large strawberries (not really a template meal...need to make some salad dressing to eat all this lettuce)

I got snacky in the evening and picked at some bacon and some chicken. Looking back at the day I never had any regular water, just mineral water. Probably not wise. Had a largely unproductive morning and evening but got a lot done in the afternoon. Was nice to feel well enough to actually get some stuff done. Glad I got the fridge cleaned out before picking up my produce. Probably should have gone to bed a bit earlier last night. I think I mostly slept from 11:30 - 6 waking up twice to use the facilities. Had a food dream in which I ate a ooey gooey burrito with bean and cheese in a corn tortilla. Didn't even consider it was against the rules until I had a few bites.  :rolleyes:

Teaching BODYPUMP this morning. Haven't done pump since last Saturday because of the cold so I hope it goes well. I feel kind of sore this morning which is strange as I didn't really do anything super physical yesterday aside from take a few loads of trash downstairs.

Day 27 Recap

Meal 1 (6:30am): 4 eggs scrambled with sauteed kale, 2 strips bacon, black coffee

Exercise (8:30am/10am): Taught BODYPUMP 1 hr, 30 minute break, took CXWORX 30 min

Meal 2 (12pm): 8oz coconut water while cooking, grassfed burger with mayo, medium sweet potato spiralized and sauteed, 1/2 bottle kombucha

Meal 3 (7pm): giant salad from Whole Foods: mixed greens, shredded carrots, celery, artichokes, roasted sweet potato, roasted chicken, whole eggs; pineapple chunks 

8:30pm: Grande 1/2 Caf Americano

Yesterday was a go, go, go kind of day. My class was awesome! They worked hard, I worked hard, and I got great feedback after class. Got a breather and came back to take CX which was pretty hard after a full pump class but I made it through. Hung around the gym to chat with my friend while her daughter was doing a swim class. By the time I got home my post workout meal window was long gone so I just went ahead and ate my 2nd meal. Went back to the gym in the afternoon for a group fitness team meeting which was pretty fun. From there I went to church to take care of the babies. From there I went to Whole Foods to scrounge dinner and then off to a game night. Got home close to midnight and watched some tv before going to bed. Woke a few times in the night for bio breaks but otherwise slept from about 1:30-8:30. 

Yesterday and today I noticed that my thighs are starting to feel less floppy and more muscled. :D Can't complain about that! I also felt like my shoulder might go again while teaching yesterday so I need to get back to being disciplined with my exercises this week. 

• Moderators

Way to bounce back strong--and to listen to your body's reminders. I'm fixing to get serious about my joint exercises, too, now that the inflammation is a bit more under control.

Archived