Where To Go? (and what to eat)

Emily

I've posted a few times about how bummed I am about Chipotle... it was just such a quick staple for emergency times! I thought perhaps a thread about where to go and what to eat when fast food is necessary would be helpful...

Currently the only thing I'm confident in (and it's a shaky confidence) is going to Tokyo Joes and getting a bowl with lettuce instead of noodles or rice, veggies, and meat. Then I get one of the curry sauces--the ingredients seem okay.

Where do you eat out if you have to?

I have noticed something since this forum started…I am darn lucky to live where I do. We have a Whole Foods, Trader Joes, New Seasons and/or random natural foods stores on practically every corner. Not to mention the farmers markets. I can honestly say I have never, since Whole9/30 came into my life, have had the need for “emergency†fast food. With that said, here are some of the “fast foods†that that have helped me out…

Trader Joes has bags of hard boiled eggs as well as various veggies you can pop in the microwave right in the bag. My break room has cinnamon, salt and pepper. Add and avocado and you have protein, carbs and fat covered.

Whole Foods has an awesome salad bar, but their salad dressings are all canola and/or some type of vegetable oil blend. Carry your own stash of olive oil and you are good to go. They also have a burger bar. Ask them to make you a burger w/o greasing up the grill. Again, carbs, protein and fat…done.

New Seasons, same as above. They have a pretty good salad bar and you can ask for grilled chicken w/o them greasing up the grill.

New Seasons also has decent deli meats (ask to see ingredients, they will be happy to show you). Grab an avocado and an apple from the produce section. Slice the avocado into strips and wrap slices of turkey around each avocado slice. Yummy!

My go to restaurant is usually Stanford's. They have a really good steak cob salad. Minus the cheese, croutons and giant piece of cheesy bread. Bring your own balsamic dressing, add extra egg.

I hope this helps…just some ideas. Fast food does not have to be fast food.

Fast Food is just plain hard. The only other thing I can think of would be Subway (can't believe I'm saying that) and you can get their salad with extra meat. Otherwise I think Carie has the right idea. Find your nearest grocer and put together a quick and easy proten-carb-fat meal.

I will always try to have sardines or kipper snacks and a lara bar in my car for emergency situations when I need to get food now and I just don't have time.

A Trader Joe's coming to the next town over from us--hooray! Our family of five needs a place to go after late volleyball games, climbing comps, school plays... sometimes we can cover it with the Crockpot and sometimes it just makes for an awfully late night for the kids. I'm still grieving over the loss of Chipotle :( I really thought they were a good option.

Sorry for the whining... Subway is a possibility (lol, I can't believe I'm saying that either!) or now I'm wondering about the salad bar at the regular grocery store.

I try to find a steak house though it doesn't always make sense in terms of cost and convenience. I've gotten pieces of raw salmon from Japanese restaurants with steamed or sauteed veggies but it's not always the most exciting meal. Lately I've been going to mexican places in the area (which are everywhere in San Francisco and Oakland) and ordering fajita meats with veggies. The oils are problematic but in a pinch I'd rather some crap oil than something totally off limit. Burger places will usually gladly serve a patty on a plate, on top of a a salad, or wrapped in lettuce if you ask. There are more and more popping up advertising grass-fed meat as well. I've gotten just grilled or broiled fish at a lot of places too but I usually find you have to be very specific because a lot of them are dusted in flour or encrusted and somehow restaurants don' t think those things are worth mentioning so always ask before you order! One of my new favorites is Mediterranean/Middle Eastern restaurants. A lot of them serve some kind of kebab just be careful to get ones that aren't marinated in yogurt. Lastly, some areas have delis or groceries or even restaurants that serve rotisserie type chickens. These are fairly common and a very good option. I just found a stand at a farmers market 3 blocks from where I've been working for a year and had no idea!

a good option with kiddos might be Ruby Tuesday. They have a salad bar with oil and vinegar on the side and plenty of egg to throw on the salad. they also serve steaks and you can ask them to clean off the grill (they use liquid margarine on it). They also have shrimp and fish that you can do the same with.

Be warned: their sides are full of no-nos. The spaghetti squash is roasted in butter, even the "steamed" broccoli has butter... you could ask them to grill zucchini and wipe off the grill but i'm sure it's preprepped. the tomatoes with balsamic vinegar are actually tomatoes with balsamic vinaigrette which most definitely has sugar in it (i took a tiny taste and WOW it was sweet). Their sweet potato fries are fried in soybean oil.

Youc an go there and order a steak, ask them if they can alter their sides, and get unlimited salad bar runs. Protein, veg, fat.

Love this thread!

Something I did the other night before a ball game was run in Sam's & get one of their rotisserie chickens. Peel the skin off & it's an easy, quick snack (or meal) to get you through.

For days when I don't have any leftovers to take, (or forget them in the fridge), I have a packet of salmon at my desk. Add that to some fresh spinach, avocado & homemade balsamic dressing, and you've got a quick, easy salad. Much better than I expected it to be when I first hodgepodged it together!

Yeah, those of you wlho live in major cities should count your blessings. There's only one Trader Joe's and it's in Des Moines (two hours west of me). As for Whole Foods...yeah right...

That said, Iowa City being a relatively decent-sized college town (compared to the rest of Iowa), there are several different grocery stores that allow you to buy or assemble Whole 30-friendly meals.

I have done the Subway option (salad with extra meat) when driving out in the countryside.

I like this thread too! While not dining out or travelling per se, but I need some help....I am in my 4th day of my 1st Whole 30...and we have volleyball championships this Saturday!! It is an all day thing with potential travel between 2 sites....generally there is a team table with all kinds of foods...veggies, granola bars, bagels, etc....not many, outside of the veggies and maybe the fruits, Whole 30 approved. I am really concerned that this will derail me...or I should say that I will let it derail me. Any ideas of how to manage through this? What to bring with me? Is it ok to go to the "Subways" and just get the salads with meat, etc? Thank you in advance for any advice and motivation someone can provide.

I like this thread too! While not dining out or travelling per se, but I need some help....I am in my 4th day of my 1st Whole 30...and we have volleyball championships this Saturday!! It is an all day thing with potential travel between 2 sites....generally there is a team table with all kinds of foods...veggies, granola bars, bagels, etc....not many, outside of the veggies and maybe the fruits, Whole 30 approved. I am really concerned that this will derail me...or I should say that I will let it derail me. Any ideas of how to manage through this? What to bring with me? Is it ok to go to the "Subways" and just get the salads with meat, etc? Thank you in advance for any advice and motivation someone can provide.

Siobbhan - I played club volleyball all through High School and played in college as well. The best advice I can give you is to pack a small cooler to bring along with you. Think sliced deli meat (applegate brand), apples, bananas, sweet potato, coconut water, some nuts. This is the kind of stuff that will get your through the weekend. You will need good fuel to keep energy levels high between games. If you can't pack a cooler than Subway is your next best option, just stick to the salad and double or triple the meat.

One good trick when traveling is to find the grocery store nearest to your hotel. Bonus points if it's a fru-fru grocery store like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. Stock up on picnic items (bars, hard salami, cucumbers, boiled eggs, etc.). That way you don't get stuck in a meeting with nothing to eat.

Be careful with subway. Their meat all seems to contain soy, wheat or some kind of sweetener.

I usually plan ahead and bring something with me that I know I can eat , but if I'm caught without, I'll stop at a grocery store and pick up a couple of things I can have, or stop at a restaurant and modify/ask questions like crazy. I avoid fast food completely, I don't trust anything that comes over a fast food counter LOL

• 4 weeks later...

I actually found something remotely acceptable at...Chik Fil A yesterday. You can get a Grilled Chicken Kid's Meal. The Grilled Chicken does contain MSG (BOO) and sugar as part of the seasoning ingredients, but you're going to be hard-pressed to find a commercially prepared ANYTHING that doesn't have MSG and sugar needlessly on it's food. The nuggets were pretty acceptable to me and the "seasoning" was almost undetectable. The Kid's Meal comes with an option of a fruit cup (Mandarin Oranges=sugar), but the very best choice is the squeezeable Applesauce (apples, apple juice & cinnamon).

I was fairly impressed with ChikFilA as an option, living in the south and it being on EVERY street corner. At least I know it's an OK choice.

• 1 year later...

Yea, I have to disagree with Subway being a decent choice, it always goes straight through me if you know what I mean. Who knows where their meat comes from and it's packed with sugar and preservatives (so is Jimmy John's if you have one of those, I emailed and asked). I'm on day 20 and went from eating out twice a week to completely illiminating it because I don't trust any restaurant. It does suck though, I'm so hungry right now and there's nothing here to eat!

I actually found something remotely acceptable at...Chik Fil A yesterday. You can get a Grilled Chicken Kid's Meal. The Grilled Chicken does contain MSG (BOO) and sugar as part of the seasoning ingredients, but you're going to be hard-pressed to find a commercially prepared ANYTHING that doesn't have MSG and sugar needlessly on it's food. The nuggets were pretty acceptable to me and the "seasoning" was almost undetectable. The Kid's Meal comes with an option of a fruit cup (Mandarin Oranges=sugar), but the very best choice is the squeezeable Applesauce (apples, apple juice & cinnamon).

I was fairly impressed with ChikFilA as an option, living in the south and it being on EVERY street corner. At least I know it's an OK choice.

Just an FYI, having MSG and sugar as ingredients makes this grilled chicken unacceptable and a non-option for a Whole30.

Having been gluten-free since 2006, I've found restaurants with gluten-free menus to be your best bet. I live in the Northeast US. Popular chain choices here are Not Your Average Joe's, Legal Sea Food, Burton's Grill, and Chili's. Also sashimi at Japanese restaurants are another choice, but it's tricky to get a compliant veggie (without soy sauce, MSG or sugar) and fat.

Folks here have recommended Panera Bread's hidden menu in the past, but they recently changed the ingredients.  All those choices, as is, are non-compliant: contain either milk, wheat, sugar or sulfites. The only thing you can easily change would be to get the Power Steak Lettuce Wraps without the pesto.

I wouldn't trust deli meat at any fast food place: too many options for gluten, carrageenan, sugar, sulfites and other nasties. 

• 4 weeks later...

I found out I can order the round eggs that come on an egg mcmuffin a la carte for just .70 cents each.  Any idea how these eggs are cooked and if there is a possibility they are compliant?  It is my understanding they are poached and should be safe.....

Having been gluten-free since 2006, I've found restaurants with gluten-free menus to be your best bet. I live in the Northeast US. Popular chain choices here are Not Your Average Joe's, Legal Sea Food, Burton's Grill, and Chili's. Also sashimi at Japanese restaurants are another choice, but it's tricky to get a compliant veggie (without soy sauce, MSG or sugar) and fat.

Folks here have recommended Panera Bread's hidden menu in the past, but they recently changed the ingredients.  All those choices, as is, are non-compliant: contain either milk, wheat, sugar or sulfites. The only thing you can easily change would be to get the Power Steak Lettuce Wraps without the pesto.

I wouldn't trust deli meat at any fast food place: too many options for gluten, carrageenan, sugar, sulfites and other nasties. 

Chris, what do you get at Chili's?  I can't eat seafood so hopefully you have a suggestion from there??? Thanks!

I've only eaten out once since on my Whole30 (this is my first)... we went to breakfast at Cracker Barrel and I had a harder time than I thought I would... They have NO veggie options during breakfast hours. I got a porkchop (no butter or oil) and the seasoning was very very light so I'm assuming that was good (hopefully), poached eggs... and a side of fruit (FYI - forego the side of fruit... it consisted of 2 small pieces of pineapple and 1 1/2 strawberries for like $2.59... no thanks). I've just decided to resist eating out for now, unless I absolutely have to.

To add to the Subway thought though, I definitely wouldn't resort to going there. Their meat is as fake as can be.

Actually, I did eat out one other time. We went to Outback Steakhouse - not fast, but a good option. You can get the steak that's woodfire grilled, and they have 2 options for the seasoning - I got the one that I think was salt & pepper only (can't find it on the website so I don't remember exactly what the menu says)... veggies, they have several options (green beans, mixed veggies, broccoli) you can also get steamed veggies with no butter/oil or seasoning. (beware of the grilled asparagus, I asked for no butter/oil, but there was something on it...)

Chris, what do you get at Chili's?  I can't eat seafood so hopefully you have a suggestion from there??? Thanks!

You can get a steak :) Cooked with no butter, no oil. They have a healthy options menu and it's either cooked with olive oil or nothing, I can't remember. And the broccoli is actually just plain steamed - no oil, butter or seasoning - but make sure you are ordering from the healthy choice section.

Hi Shannon-

I personally haven't eaten at a Chili's in about a year or two.

Looking at their allergens menu, if I were to eat at a Chili's while on a Whole30, I would probably get the classic sirloin (dry grilled, without garlic butter) and plain steamed broccoli. http://www.chilis.com/EN/LocationSpecificPDF/MenuPDF/001.005.0000/Chilis%20Allergen%20Generic.pdf?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1  Both appear to be gluten, dairy and soy free.

Hi Shannon-

I personally haven't eaten at a Chili's in about a year or two.

Looking at their allergens menu, if I were to eat at a Chili's while on a Whole30, I would probably get the classic sirloin (dry grilled, without garlic butter) and plain steamed broccoli. http://www.chilis.com/EN/LocationSpecificPDF/MenuPDF/001.005.0000/Chilis%20Allergen%20Generic.pdf?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1  Both appear to be gluten, dairy and soy free.

Thank you, I thought that would be ideal to go with some type of steak.  I have to go out to eat tonight and it is a chain and I had already planned to eat steak and broccoli plus I have made and packed my own salad dressing.  I am done with my first Whole 30, but I love the way I feel and can't imagine making myself feel like I did before with food.  (I didn't have allergies or anything, just loved food too much)

Thanks again! Your help is appreciated!

As far as Chipotle goes, according to the website, neither the carnitas or barbacoa have soybean oil -- all the other meats do, as well as the fajita veggies. So a salad with either of those and salsa and guac are compliant. It's my go to when I'm on the road.

As far as Chipotle goes, according to the website, neither the carnitas or barbacoa have soybean oil -- all the other meats do, as well as the fajita veggies. So a salad with either of those and salsa and guac are compliant. It's my go to when I'm on the road.

Per Chipotle's website, the barbacoa is made with rice bran oil, which makes it not Whole30 compliant.

Archived