June 1st Support Thread

CharDoll

I may post about this somewhere else, too (any suggestions where?) but I am hosting a luncheon tea at my house this Saturday and am looking for some great Whole30 friendly options to accompany the few non-compliant things I'm planning for my guests.

When I've been to similar tea gatherings, the menu has been a choice between quiche or a light salad, tomato soup, chicken salad finger sandwiches, cucumber sandwiches, chocolate dipped and regular fruits, scones, and biscuits with clotted cream.

I am planning to make a compliant quiche, salad, compliant creamy tomato soup, fruit skewers, and I may do some type of compliant meat roll-up.

I'm trying to think of a way to make compliant cucumber "sandwiches" but am coming up empty...

any ideas on this or any other treats?

I wonder if you can use the cucumber slices as the bread and the sauce in between? Hold them together with toothpicks?

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been following this forum and absolutely love all the support. I've been feeling wonderful, and I feel stronger during my workouts (doing the couch to 5k program). I was a pretty healthy eater before, so I feel like I bypassed most of the "timeline" stumps. I was even stoked that my stomach was flatter and you could see some muscle definition!! Woohoo (had baby by c-section so a BIG deal to me!)! BUT now I'm on day 17 (I think) and feel and look bloated in my belly, and have been for several days. Anyone else having the same issue?? What's going on? My confidence is dwindling.

I've been following this forum and absolutely love all the support. I've been feeling wonderful, and I feel stronger during my workouts (doing the couch to 5k program). I was a pretty healthy eater before, so I feel like I bypassed most of the "timeline" stumps. I was even stoked that my stomach was flatter and you could see some muscle definition!! Woohoo (had baby by c-section so a BIG deal to me!)! BUT now I'm on day 17 (I think) and feel and look bloated in my belly, and have been for several days. Anyone else having the same issue?? What's going on? My confidence is dwindling.

How's your fiber intake?  This has been my problem lately, too, so I had to increase my fiber.

klovett3 I am having the same problem too, feeling bloated today.   I ate a pretty big baby spinach salad, with olives, cukes, & tomatoes with some olive oil & sea salt.  With  a small piece of grilled steak and some blueberries.  I think I was not doing so well with fiber/veggie intake the last couple of days....and my water intake has be not so great, working on that too!  Hopefully that will help.

Hi! I started June 1 and just came across this thread.  So glad to find others on the same day but bummed it took me 18 days to find you!

I've been gluten/corn/dairy/soy/refined sugar free for years, but was eating three veg'n meals a week (bean-based) and plenty of honey and maple syrup.  The biggest struggles I've faced on this are that I miss my post-run "reward" treat of coconut oil mixed with maple syrup and almond butter, and I am SO TIRED of meat and roast veggies.  Just so sick of it.  I want a bean burrito (on plantain wrap)!  

Nice to "meet" you all!

How's your fiber intake? This has been my problem lately, too, so I had to increase my fiber.

Sorry! Hit reply too soon.;)

Thank you so much for your response. My fiber intake is awesome. At least I think. This is what I've had so far (and breakfast is almost always the same):

Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs with about 1-2 cups spinach and kale with salsa and half an avocado

Post workout: half can of salmon

Lunch: 2 eggs, 1-2 cups spinach with leftover cauliflower risotto and some sunflower seeds with raisins (which is a huge treat for me). Apple cider vinegar, coconut amino, evoo, curry, and nutritional yeast.

I do have a banana every day with almond butter in the afternoon (still nursing my son). Should I cut back on the bananas? Bought some cherries since It Starts with Food labeled it as a great fruit to eat. Along with watermelon.

klovett3 I am having the same problem too, feeling bloated today. I ate a pretty big baby spinach salad, with olives, cukes, & tomatoes with some olive oil & sea salt. With a small piece of grilled steak and some blueberries. I think I was not doing so well with fiber/veggie intake the last couple of days....and my water intake has be not so great, working on that too! Hopefully that will help.

I'm sorry you're going through this too, but happy I'm not the only one! Increasing my water intake is a good idea. Thanks!

Sorry! Hit reply too soon. ;)

Thank you so much for your response. My fiber intake is awesome. At least I think. This is what I've had so far (and breakfast is almost always the same):

Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs with about 1-2 cups spinach and kale with salsa and half an avocado

Post workout: half can of salmon

Lunch: 2 eggs, 1-2 cups spinach with leftover cauliflower risotto and some sunflower seeds with raisins (which is a huge treat for me). Apple cider vinegar, coconut amino, evoo, curry, and nutritional yeast.

I do have a banana every day with almond butter in the afternoon (still nursing my son). Should I cut back on the bananas? Bought some cherries since It Starts with Food labeled it as a great fruit to eat. Along with watermelon.

Actually, you know what I did this morning that... *ahem*... really helped?

I mixed 1 Tbsp organic ground flax seed with 2 Tbsp almond butter, then ate that with a banana - sort of put a spoonful on top of the banana, ate that bite, another spoonful, etc... it sort of has a banana-bread taste to it.  

I've been trying for the past few days to be aware of my fiber intake, so I looked up the fiber content for whole30 foods - spinach and kale, which I expected to be high, were around 3-4 grams per cup raw, which isn't bad... I just was thinking I was getting more than I actually was.  I've also read that the bloating can be due to your digestive system adjusting to the change in diet and your gut flora adapting... not sure what's causing yours, but here's hoping it passes soon!

I don't do reintroduction, either.  I know my joints start aching the second I reitroduce dairy and grains so I don't do it.  I do ease up and eat paleo muffins because my kids beg for them but otherwise try to stay 90% paleo just so I don't have to live with chronic pain.  And cheese sadly now grosses me out, regardless of whether it has an effect on my body.  I still grieve the loss of my taste for cheese.

I totally agree about cheese grossing me out now! Haha. I can still enjoy feta or goat cheese and a dash of parmigiano, but melted cheese kinda gags me now. I wonder how I'll feel about it in Italy in July! Haha. Actually, I do still like pizza, but that's different. Haha. Like I said previously, I've eaten pizza very rarely as a choice indulgence. :-)

Sorry! Hit reply too soon. ;)

I can't imagine it's a daily banana that's causing bloaty/ irregular feelings. How active are you? Are you drinking a lot of water? I find that staying active and drinking more water helps to keep bloat away. 

And you know... sometimes, our large intestines just don't act the same way that they normally do. It's discouraging to feel bigger, but as long as you're not in any discomfort or pain, I wouldn't worry about it.

Day 18 and I feel good! But I could use some help coming up with good snack ideas. I've been resorting to lara bars and handfuls of nuts and I KNOW that's not what I should be doing. I need to nip this in the bud and get some good, healthy snacks. I wanted to do beef jerky, but I can't find any without sugar and I don't have time to make it. Hardboiled eggs are borrrrrrrring. Any ideas for great snacks?

I never worried about this before now because I wasn't hungry between meals before day 12. But lately, I've felt like a bottomless pit! So any suggestions are welcome.

Day 18 and I feel good! But I could use some help coming up with good snack ideas. I've been resorting to lara bars and handfuls of nuts and I KNOW that's not what I should be doing. I need to nip this in the bud and get some good, healthy snacks. I wanted to do beef jerky, but I can't find any without sugar and I don't have time to make it. Hardboiled eggs are borrrrrrrring. Any ideas for great snacks?

I never worried about this before now because I wasn't hungry between meals before day 12. But lately, I've felt like a bottomless pit! So any suggestions are welcome.

Are you working out? If so, adding pre and post workout meals will help a ton. Also play around with your fat and protein portions at your meals and add a starchy veggie. That may help between meals. Up your water intake. What about making up some meatballs? You could even do sweet potato and ground turkey into a ball and then you'd have a mini meal. I can't remember if you are one of the people nursing in this thread, if so check out that forum for suggestions as well. :-)

Ps. How have you been sleeping? I find that I'm always way hungrier when I don't get a good night's sleep.

Are you working out? If so, adding pre and post workout meals will help a ton. Also play around with your fat and protein portions at your meals and add a starchy veggie. That may help between meals. Up your water intake. What about making up some meatballs? You could even do sweet potato and ground turkey into a ball and then you'd have a mini meal. I can't remember if you are one of the people nursing in this thread, if so check out that forum for suggestions as well. :-)

Ps. How have you been sleeping? I find that I'm always way hungrier when I don't get a good night's sleep.

OOH I love the meatball idea! I can make a big batch of those this weekend (I have a million summer squash to make into noodles anyway) so that's a great idea. I'm not nursing any more, so that's not an issue.

It MAY be sleep related.  Baby is all better from her cold/ear infection, so she's sleeping great, but I think I still have a sleep debt to pay off. Good catch there. I know missing sleep makes me hungrier but somehow I didn't think of that lately.

does anyone have a meatball recipe that they love?

Also, i'm pretty much living on roasted broccoli, aspargus, and balsamic green beans. I need more veg ideas! Anyone have a recipe to share?

You have to tweak this a bit to make it w30 (omit honey) but it's amazing. The meatballs are good without the general tso sauce too.

General Tso meatballs- just add broccoli! (I used arrowroot powder and cayenne pepper instead of xan... - http://pinterest.com/pin/574771971164940361/

Some other favorites:

Pizza spaghetti squash casserole - http://pinterest.com/pin/574771971164919784/

How to make zucchini spaghetti, a healthy pasta substitute (for under $7!) - http://pinterest.com/pin/574771971165903396/

OOH I love the meatball idea! I can make a big batch of those this weekend (I have a million summer squash to make into noodles anyway) so that's a great idea. I'm not nursing any more, so that's not an issue.

It MAY be sleep related. Baby is all better from her cold/ear infection, so she's sleeping great, but I think I still have a sleep debt to pay off. Good catch there. I know missing sleep makes me hungrier but somehow I didn't think of that lately.

Just googled and found these. They look good!

http://twokitchensonepassion.blogspot.com/2013/01/whole30-day-27-turkey-sweet-potato.html?m=1

http://againstallgrain.com/2013/01/30/leftover-roast-chicken-soup-with-roasted-vegetables/

againstallgrain.com/2013/01/30/leftover-roast-chicken-soup-with-roasted-vegetables

I'm making this tonight.

I freeze my soup in muffin tins so I can pull out individual portions any time.  I usually drink soup instead of coffee in the morning.

I actually make it without the chicken.

I can't imagine it's a daily banana that's causing bloaty/ irregular feelings. How active are you? Are you drinking a lot of water? I find that staying active and drinking more water helps to keep bloat away.

And you know... sometimes, our large intestines just don't act the same way that they normally do. It's discouraging to feel bigger, but as long as you're not in any discomfort or pain, I wouldn't worry about it.

I run 3 to 4 days a week and yoga one day. I eat my pre and post meal. Today I only ate canned salmon post workout. I actually feel comfortable. Just look bloated.:( I have increased my water intake, which I'm hoping will make me feel better soon. Thanks for your input.:)

I made up a yummy snack for my son today and thought it was delicious!

A handful of blueberries, about 2 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce, about 2 tbsp coconut milk (I use trader joes), about 2 tbsp shredded unsweetened raw coconut, 1 tbsp raw almond butter. It was awesome. You can eat this with a meal to help increase your fat intake. And almond butter is a great protein source. I think it'll help keep you full longer. Good luck!

Archived