June 1st Support Thread

CharDoll

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello all, and happy end-of-day-13/start-of-day-14! Hope everyone is feeling good and sticking with it, even in those moments of ennui!

It's been a busy day, and some down time is just what the doctor ordered tonight. Movie night and getting sleepy on the couch.

Have a wonderful weekend, all!

Whail81 I drink kombucha which is compliant and the carbonation satisfies a soda craving, though I wasn't a soda drinker before I started whole30.

I buy all my meat in bulk from costco and whole30 is not that expensive for me anymore.  I tried all the recipes during my first few whole30s so now I just cycle between a few favorites.  I make a double recipe of well fed's chocolate chili and freeze it in muffin tins for individual portions.  I always eat sauteed kale/spinach with eggs for breakfast, or sauteed grated sweet potatoes with eggs.  I roast a chicken every few weeks and then save the shredded chicken to turn into a variety of meals.  I roast parsnips and sweet potatoes.

I freaked out about the expense initially but now have it down so it is no more expensive than how we used to eat.

Clarified butter is REALLY easy to make.  Throw a pound or two of butter into a slow cooker on low and cook it with the lid off until the solids drop out and start to darken.  Strain into a mason jar.

I do it on the stovetop also.

I roast parsnips and sweet potatoes.

Roast parsnips are the best! So yummy. I love roast carrots as well.

Also, I'm going to try your way of making clarified butter in the slow cooker, that sounds so easy! Thanks for sharing it!

I keep everything in gallon bags in the freezer and truthfully my meals for the most part are, reach into a bag for a handful of protein, reach into another few bags for veggies, saute or microwave, eat.  I also have bone broth and soups frozen in individual portions, also in the freezer.  And then usually one piece of fruit for the day.

Whail81 I drink kombucha which is compliant and the carbonation satisfies a soda craving, though I wasn't a soda drinker before I started whole30.

I buy all my meat in bulk from costco and whole30 is not that expensive for me anymore.  I tried all the recipes during my first few whole30s so now I just cycle between a few favorites.  I make a double recipe of well fed's chocolate chili and freeze it in muffin tins for individual portions.  I always eat sauteed kale/spinach with eggs for breakfast, or sauteed grated sweet potatoes with eggs.  I roast a chicken every few weeks and then save the shredded chicken to turn into a variety of meals.  I roast parsnips and sweet potatoes.

I freaked out about the expense initially but now have it down so it is no more expensive than how we used to eat.

Thanks, I'll have to look for it next time I'm at the store.

Was the site down for most of the day?   This is the first time it opened up for me since yesterday.  

Happy Father's Day to all of the fathers.  May all of your children treat you like royalty.

We're half way there.    

Yes, it was down for quite a while! I'm glad they have it back up now.

What did you tell yourself when you threw those things back on the shelf?

Have you ever tried a dog biscuit....I wonder if it would kill the desire for cookies.

When I realized what I did, my reaction was "WTF, Wendy. Why did you do that. That was dumb and stupid. You know better than that!"

I shook my head at myself as I put the cookies back on the shelf.

I don't think it is the cookie itself that I am craving. It's the carbs and the naughty food, I think. I caught myself a lot thinking "what do I want to eat when this is over?" and I know that I want to continue eating healthy, even if I do have a treat now and then.

Obviously I still have a problem with food and how I look at it. I need to continue working on fixing that.

I just read the article that Whole9 posted on fb. Most of it was mumbo jumbo to me, but I could relate to the whole trying everything out there thing. I also loved this quote because it is so true:

"How about this. How about, instead of investing time and money in magic potions, special training and nutrition templates - spend it on sleep, a gym with ACTUAL COACHES and quality food. Put sleep in the bank. Keep an average per year of over 8 hours. Do what you're told in the gym. Eat a vibrant and nutritious diet. Progress will be slow, steady and there will be no conceivable ceiling to that magical protocol. Guess what else. After doing that for a few months it no longer seems like hard work. It will feel like The Norm. After a year, not doing it is just plain weird."

http://bamfathletics.com/upgradedsnakeoil/

Those of on your first whole30, don't give up. Those of you thinking of continuing past the 30 days, do it, or at least do it 95% of the time. It's a great, healthy, sustainable lifestyle. I'm living proof that it can be done!

This weekend was tough for me as well.  My son was in a wedding, so we had a rehearsal dinner on Friday night and the wedding on Saturday.  I managed to stick with it as far as not eating any non-compliant foods, but I did a poor job sticking to the meal template. 

I'm really struggling with breakfasts for this week.  I can't think of a single thing I want to eat for breakfast.  I know it's just "meal 1" and I can and should eat dinner foods, but I'm having a REALLY hard time breaking the association of "breakfast" foods.  I love bagels, cereal, toast, breakfast sandwiches, etc.  I don't like eggs or sausage.  This has honestly been the toughest thing for me about the whole 30.

I just read the article that Whole9 posted on fb. Most of it was mumbo jumbo to me, but I could relate to the whole trying everything out there thing. I also loved this quote because it is so true:

"How about this. How about, instead of investing time and money in magic potions, special training and nutrition templates - spend it on sleep, a gym with ACTUAL COACHES and quality food. Put sleep in the bank. Keep an average per year of over 8 hours. Do what you're told in the gym. Eat a vibrant and nutritious diet. Progress will be slow, steady and there will be no conceivable ceiling to that magical protocol. Guess what else. After doing that for a few months it no longer seems like hard work. It will feel like The Norm. After a year, not doing it is just plain weird."

http://bamfathletics.com/upgradedsnakeoil/

Those of on your first whole30, don't give up. Those of you thinking of continuing past the 30 days, do it, or at least do it 95% of the time. It's a great, healthy, sustainable lifestyle. I'm living proof that it can be done!

Thanks. I needed this today.

I had gone 5 days without a bowel movement (tmi, sorry) and was feeling pretty desperate last night. I'd tweaked everything I could without adding in digestive enzymes, so I took a stool softener. It's helped, but after taking it I realized that the med has corn in it. I'm not going to let it stop me, but I feel bad for messing up. I'm going to look for some DE's and probiotics today to hopefully prevent any future problems.

This weekend was tough for me as well. My son was in a wedding, so we had a rehearsal dinner on Friday night and the wedding on Saturday. I managed to stick with it as far as not eating any non-compliant foods, but I did a poor job sticking to the meal template.

I'm really struggling with breakfasts for this week. I can't think of a single thing I want to eat for breakfast. I know it's just "meal 1" and I can and should eat dinner foods, but I'm having a REALLY time breaking the association of "breakfast" foods. I love bagels, cereal, toast, breakfast sandwiches, etc. I don't like eggs or sausage. This has honestly been the toughest thing for me about the whole 30.

I hear you. I can't have eggs so breakfasts have been tough for me - I'm used to pastries (see my post way back in this thread).

I made beef stew last Sunday with crushed tomatoes, carrots, peas, green beans and leftover roast. I took that most mornings for breakfast last week and it worked for me. I gave myself a few berries on the side. It was weird the first day but was oddly comforting by the end of the week... I will probably do the same thing this week as well.

Thanks. I needed this today.

I had gone 5 days without a bowel movement (tmi, sorry) and was feeling pretty desperate last night. I'd tweaked everything I could without adding in digestive enzymes, so I took a stool softener. It's helped, but after taking it I realized that the med has corn in it. I'm not going to let it stop me, but I feel bad for messing up. I'm going to look for some DE's and probiotics today to hopefully prevent any future problems.

Try some coconut oil or coconut butter. Coconut is a great source of fiber and works well for me. :) Just not too much, or you'll be in pain. You only make that mistake once! lol

When I realized what I did, my reaction was "WTF, Wendy. Why did you do that. That was dumb and stupid. You know better than that!"

I shook my head at myself as I put the cookies back on the shelf.

I don't think it is the cookie itself that I am craving. It's the carbs and the naughty food, I think. I caught myself a lot thinking "what do I want to eat when this is over?" and I know that I want to continue eating healthy, even if I do have a treat now and then.

Obviously I still have a problem with food and how I look at it. I need to continue working on fixing that.

I'm not complaining and I'm not lying...I hopped on my folks' digital scales.   I've lost 12 lbs.   They have an electronic BP machine, my pulse rate is still high but other numbers are coming down.   My motives are for health reasons...bring all of my numbers down.

I want those test results to reveal the truth....this is not about deprivation but survival.

Please please please - no more hopping on scales until you are finished with your Whole30.  Focus instead on other benefits you're noticing as you go through the process.

Okay, but my doc makes me get on them at the beginning of every visit.  I have to go tomorrow and he won't take no for an answer.  I was getting the jump on the situation before he gives me the what for.  I ready for it and I don't think it will be too bad now.  I have to go every two weeks.   I'm 1/7th of my way to getting a good report without his arse kicking.

Can you not look at the number and ask them to not tell you the number  (at least while you're on your Whole30)?  :)

Archived