June 1st Support Thread

CharDoll

Motovegg, I'm totally with you!! :)

Anyone else thinking of extending their 30 days? I'm thinking this will probably be a Whole60 for me. 30 days will not be enough to break a life long terrible relationship with food. And oh man, I can really see now what I have been doing to myself all these years (and why I could never lose weight) just by what I am NOT doing now. Does that make sense?

Happy Day 12!

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else thinking of extending their 30 days? I'm thinking this will probably be a Whole60 for me. 30 days will not be enough to break a life long terrible relationship with food. And oh man, I can really see now what I have been doing to myself all these years (and why I could never lose weight) just by what I am NOT doing now. Does that make sense?

Happy Day 12!

Makes perfect sense :) glad to hear you are putting the pieces together for yourself!

Work invited me to lunch today. We went to a sushi/hibachi grill place and did the hibachi. While everyone was enjoying their soy sauce and fried rice, I was enjoying my meat and veggies sans soy sauce.

I'm proud of myself for saying no to the rice. That was hard!

bacon.  we live in a small town-haven't found a farmer at the farmers market that has bacon without sugar and he laughed when I asked about no nitrates saying "those people that use celery salt are just making you think it's nitrate free-celery salt turns into nitrate" which I understand but seriously, want to have some bacon with my salads or egg bake some morning.  My SIL in KC went to Whole Foods and TJ's and they didn't have any.  Getting a bit discouraged as bacon would sure add a different flavor for us.  Gave in and let our kids eat off plan as two left for camp this morning and they will get crap there anyways for food.  Tired of them complaining (they are 7,6,3,11mo) so it's just the older 3 as baby is still nursing mostly.  But, still feeling great!

Don't know what happened to my other followup post- just seems to have vanished- I'll figure this out eventually.

I wanted to say thanks for the speedy responses and support!! Thanks so much, it really does help knowing others are out there doing this too!

I started Whole30 because I want to lose weight and get healthy. I suffer from psoriasis, headaches, insomnia, tendinitis, and have had various digestive issues since I had my gallbladder removed two years ago. Hoping a lot of that is resolved or improved through this process. I want to feel energetic and clear-headed. I want to lose the bloat and especially lose the excuses and laziness that has characterized my forties.

I will be 50 in February and can't think of a better present to give myself than a set of new habits and beliefs about food that will carry me through the next 50 years. I am committed to this process, just wish it felt a bit more fun, but I'm hoping it starts clicking soon and I will be glad I hung in there.

Look forward to getting to know all of you!

Ok I am hanging in there.  I am in Italy on assignment now and miss those one scoop gelato breaks I use to take in the afternoons, with a slice of authentic Italian pizza.  But I am hanging in there.  Italy has some nice salads too.  I have had to talk to a few chefs and explain nicely that although that is their mother's recipe I would not like the cheese or homemade croutons on my salad.  I have only had travelers diarrhea a few times now, so I guess it comes with the territory, piss off the chef you never know what you are going to get!!  This journey is difficult since I am living out of a suitcase and eating out more than I would like (the Euro is no joke).   Avocados, sweet potatoes, snap peas, and tomatoes have become my best friends.  If any one has any advice please share.  

Ok I am hanging in there.  I am in Italy on assignment now and miss those one scoop gelato breaks I use to take in the afternoons, with a slice of authentic Italian pizza.  But I am hanging in there.  Italy has some nice salads too.  I have had to talk to a few chefs and explain nicely that although that is their mother's recipe I would not like the cheese or homemade croutons on my salad.  I have only had travelers diarrhea a few times now, so I guess it comes with the territory, piss off the chef you never know what you are going to get!!  This journey is difficult since I am living out of a suitcase and eating out more than I would like (the Euro is no joke).   Avocados, sweet potatoes, snap peas, and tomatoes have become my best friends.  If any one has any advice please share.  

Don't know what happened to my other followup post- just seems to have vanished- I'll figure this out eventually.

I wanted to say thanks for the speedy responses and support!! Thanks so much, it really does help knowing others are out there doing this too!

I started Whole30 because I want to lose weight and get healthy. I suffer from psoriasis, headaches, insomnia, tendinitis, and have had various digestive issues since I had my gallbladder removed two years ago. Hoping a lot of that is resolved or improved through this process. I want to feel energetic and clear-headed. I want to lose the bloat and especially lose the excuses and laziness that has characterized my forties.

I will be 50 in February and can't think of a better present to give myself than a set of new habits and beliefs about food that will carry me through the next 50 years. I am committed to this process, just wish it felt a bit more fun, but I'm hoping it starts clicking soon and I will be glad I hung in there.

Look forward to getting to know all of you!

day 12. good. ate very well. full. BUT still have bad breath. Ate fennel seeds which helps a bit but comes right back.

I do exercise (not crossfit or anything like that) and eat loads of veggies, starchy included. There is no way I'm in ketosis because I'm not even close to low carb. I drink lots of water and tea. What is it??? It started several days ago. my digestion is fine (once a day, tmi-sorry) but great!

Really pleased with myself!!

First, I went and ran three miles on the treadmill to see if would make me feel better. It didn't, but I am proud I just did it anyway.

Next, I passed my first major eating challenge. Tonight was the varsity awards dinner for my two high school kids. It's held at at a nice catering hall. Typically, we start at the bar for a drink or two first (the grownups, not the kids :)), then the full course dinner: yummy warm rolls and bread, salad pre-smothered with creamy dressing, roast beef with something on it, chicken piccata or the like, roasted potatoes, veggies smothered in something, chocolate something dessert. The entrees are prepared in advance so all sauces etc are non -negotiable.

But not for this Whole 30 Warrior!! :)

We were running late so I nuked a sweet potato while in the shower. Put in a tupperware bowl with some ghee and salt. Literally ate it from my lap while driving to the dinner (at red lights and stop signs). Asked the waiter for ANYTHING plain he could bring me for dinner.

NO alcohol! NO salad with creamy dressing! NO pre-sauced entrees or sides! NO dessert!

My sweet potato held me for the first hour while everyone else ate around me. Then I enjoyed a perfectly fine piece of plain broiled salmon and a side of plain steamed green beans!!!!

I am so psyched I made it through that!!!!!! No other major challenges until the last weekend in June when we have friends visiting and are going to an afternoon concert/music festival. But then, I will have at least some control over what I can bring.

Yay me!! Still feel kind of crappy physically but I am so glad this day is over and I made it! :) thanks to all for your support!!!!

Today was a big professional milestone for boyfriend, who immediately went on a celebratory carbohydrate tour of our fair city. His grilled cheese sandwich had mac&cheese on it. ON THE SANDWICH. I had just partaken of a particularly disappointing dinner salad, and was looking at him askance as he closed his eyes in bready, cheesy ecstasy. But I had my salad and plain chicken, reminded myself that today was about him, and had a killer time.

Day 12 in the books! We are almost halfway there!

Hi, Warrior!  I'm so glad you're joining this thread - I think you picked a great name, too.

What made you start a Whole 30?  What are your goals?

I saw this great graphic by the Whole30 team on instagram the other day - it says, "I already know what giving up feels like... I want to see what happens if I don't." That was exactly what I needed to hear, and when I feel discouraged, I just remind myself that I want to know what it feels like to push through this.

what-happens-if-you-dont-give-up.jpg

YES! Thanks for the quote! (I googled it and found this image)

That is EXACTLY my mindset. July 1, 2014 will mark 1 year whole9/paleo (with 3 Whole 30s) and I don't ever plan on eating any differently. It feels so good to be in control.

I am on day 11 and feeling better.  I am not nauseous any more.  I don't feel like I am losing weight or that my clothes are getting looser.  My doctor's appointment went well, fasting blood work, etc.   The not so good news is I have hypothalamus.   I understand this program isn't for losing weight primarily but I was hoping to lose some 5-10lbs by the end of the program.  Now with finding out I have hypothalamus  I am concerned that won't be possible.  I am staying on the program and seeing it through but it's very discouraging knowing I may not lose any weight or very minimal.  My son's wedding is 19 Jul and I was really hoping to see some downward movement with my weight.  On the more important side I am feeling more in control of eating and also being so much more aware of food choices.   I have had some challenges, and did well not slipping.

I just posted above but I forgot to ask these two questions!

First, how do you pronounce ghee? And where do you buy it? Can you buy it or do you just have to clarify your own butter at home? If you can buy it, what stores carry it and what section would it be in? We're in Utah near Costco, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods.

Also, has anyone who has done it before had any experience with (or know of someone) doing the whole30 while nursing? My son is almost 4 months and we're about to go in for his checkup next week. I am pretty sure he hasn't been gaining weight this past month like he should and I'm pretty sure it's bc I have a VERY slow letdown/low milk supply. I just started drinking Mother's Milk Herb Tea (w my pediatrician's permission), like 2 days ago, to try to increase my supply. But I'm also hoping that changing my diet helps too. Does anyone in this thread have any experience with that?

I'm guessing I could search the forums on here, but I'd rather ask my new June 1st friends! :)

Hi Not sure if you found ghee but they do have it at Trader Joes! Such a great find to add to choices of virgin olive oil & coconut oil.  I started on 2 June and am on day 12. 

Hi Not sure if you found ghee but they do have it at Trader Joes! Such a great find to add to choices of virgin olive oil & coconut oil.  I started on 2 June and am on day 12. 

I found clarified butter at Publix.  I was getting ready to cough up some extra moola (ha!) to buy some good butter and clarify it myself when I found this brand - not sure if it's officially Whole30 approved, but the label looked fine to me and I've only used it sparingly:

http://www.purityfarms.com/

Yeah - I've given up on coffee.  I'm just can't seem to figure out how to use coconut milk  :unsure: so, I've switched to morning tea.
I'd do bulletproof but I usually wait til I get to work to have anything and although we have a full kitchen, we don't have a blender.

Happy Day 12!

Yeah - I've given up on coffee.  I'm just can't seem to figure out how to use coconut milk  :unsure: so, I've switched to morning tea.

I'd do bulletproof but I usually wait til I get to work to have anything and although we have a full kitchen, we don't have a blender.

I found clarified butter at Publix.  I was getting ready to cough up some extra moola (ha!) to buy some good butter and clarify it myself when I found this brand - not sure if it's officially Whole30 approved, but the label looked fine to me and I've only used it sparingly:

http://www.purityfarms.com/

This Purity Farms product is fine for a Whole30: enjoy!

We are almost half way there! Of course, I started on the 2nd so I'm a day behind, but we're all close :-)

DH and I are hanging in there. I'm just having a hard time keeping up with all the food prep. DH prefers cooked veggies with breakfast, but I can't seem to stomach them. He doesn't have a lot of time in the mornings so I try to cook for him, but we've both been kind of stressed about it. 

We made the Pad Thai from Well Fed and it was the most delicious meal we've had since we started! I highly recommend it. 

This weekend will be a bit tricky because we have some out of town guests for a few days and we are doing Father's Day with my family and will have to bring our own food to the event. Not a big deal, just something to plan for. 

Day 13! How many of us are still going strong (or trying to?!).

meals went well. Got hangry at 5:30 but had to take child to a class so nibbled on celery sticks to curb hunger until I got back home 20 minutes later. so glad I had something to grab.

upped carby veggies by a little bit more today. still struggling with the bad breath.

I'm shocked how many veggies I crave and can actually consume at each meal. I crave them...

Edited to add:

So I'm really trying to listen to my body and not get caught up in other people's experiences. As in "they only ate this much for meals 1, 2 and 3". I am always comparing. I eat way more than what I see some post but  I know I am different and trying to sort through my own issues.

That said, I was still very hungry an hour after large dinner. I should add I did a fast 35 minute run and a 45 light strength class (low weights) early this morning. My body may be screaming for more food. I did eat sweet potatoes at each meal (split one huge one into three meals).

That and I've had only 5-6 hours of sleep each night. Either way I was hungry. So I grabbed a palm + size of turkey I had in the fridge. Thought I'd be okay with a bite or two. Well I ate it all and felt better. Yes I'm full (not uncomfortably stuffed but FULL). Yes, I feel the guilt that omg, I steered off course. OMG, I ate too much food. But then the sensible side kicked in and said NO, do not go off to binge because you feel you derailed your effort today by feeding your body.  I really.almost.went. there.to a full blown sugar binge and most likely would have purged. I DO NOT WANT TO GO THERE.  I had to think hard and tell the binge/purge ego to shut up again. In the end, it just wasn't worth it to me. I don't want to wake up tomorrow feeling the guilt, shame and thought of starting over yet again.

Just writing my thoughts down.

So glad I made it today.

Archived