June 1st Support Thread

CharDoll

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 14 was interesting. Ate b,l fine. Had party with chipotle. Had pork and gobs of guacamole. Then at 1am ate more.

Had only 4 hours sleep. Woke up today since could not sleep. on day 15 and instantly craved sugar. Like horrible. Fail. Had cookies. But then some success... I followed thru with compliant b and lunch. Feel fine. I'm still continuing and treating it like a reintro halfway.

I know the hard core will bash this but I feel fine many hours later. Not that I intend to do that everyday! I rarely did it before starting this whole30.

It's not a bash, but choosing to eat cookies calls for a restart on a Whole30.  It's not about being punitive: it's about having 30 consecutive days of no gut disrupting ingredients (such as gluten), and consistently making the choice to follow all the rules.

Nice job getting back on the wagon - keep going for another 30.

I can ask but that's not his demeanor.   He says things like..."you better get rid of that lard as fast as you can".  I don't think he'll acknowledge my Whole 30.  He wants an entire 70...plus five more to go immediately.   He doesn't care if I eat dirt sandwiches, just get it done.  Exercise, lard removal and good numbers.  He tells me and takes no prisoners.

Um, excuse me, but he works for you. You get to call the shots, and you are entitled to be treated with professionalism and respect.

If he was my doctor, I'd fire him, and find someone else who was more aligned with my wellness goals and how I go about achieving them.

I will add another 15. that's fine.

I don't think I failed and I know what disrupts my gut. I really did this to stop counting calories, etc.

But I am fine with adding more...I followed this plan mostly anyway prior to the full start. I was using it to help me get out of micros, macros, etc. So I will add rum and diet coke back at some point because I used to go out once a week. And not issues as well.

Anyway, I'd like to stay with this group for the next 15. It was a couple of cookies. I'm just being honest and up front in my journaling.

As it's always true, minimal sleep does = wacky brain fog.

I can ask but that's not his demeanor.   He says things like..."you better get rid of that lard as fast as you can".  I don't think he'll acknowledge my Whole 30.  He wants an entire 70...plus five more to go immediately.   He doesn't care if I eat dirt sandwiches, just get it done.  Exercise, lard removal and good numbers.  He tells me and takes no prisoners.

I don't want to say this, but there's been all kinds of heart attacks amongst relatives.   He takes care of these people and he's not going to waltz around me.  He's going to kick my rear until I get there and I will.

I agree with Chris. If a doctor (anybody really) said that to me I would fire them immediately. Not only is it rude but too fast fat lost can actually cause health problems more than solve them. 

Happy Father's Day! Went to Red Lobster for lunch and ate steamed crab legs for the first time. Tasty! Broccoli and a salad rounded out the meal there then back to my folks for some water melon and cantaloupe. I'll only get 2 meals in today but that's ok, I'm not starving.

Thanks. I needed this today.

I had gone 5 days without a bowel movement (tmi, sorry) and was feeling pretty desperate last night. I'd tweaked everything I could without adding in digestive enzymes, so I took a stool softener. It's helped, but after taking it I realized that the med has corn in it. I'm not going to let it stop me, but I feel bad for messing up. I'm going to look for some DE's and probiotics today to hopefully prevent any future problems.

I'm not a mod, but I'd say that accidentally including a corn derivative in your stool softener doesn't really count against you. Five days is a LONG TIME, and you needed that! I would have taken them with espresso shots after 4.

We're halfway there, everyone! WOOHOO!!

This weekend was a challenge, and I'm SO proud of myself.  Thursday night, my daughter didn't sleep until 1am because she was coughing and crying all night. I had to take a half day of work for a last-minute pediatrics appointment for her, go back to work with almost 0 time to pack a lunch. Saturday, I had a conference all day. Today, husby wanted a day to work in the garden as his father's day gift, so I took the baby down to the Georgia Aquarium.

I stayed compliant, although not quite in spirit because I ate a couple larabars... but options are limited when you're desperate and 70 miles from home. It's way better than eating one of the many desserts that were offered to me this week! (Cookies at the conference, donuts at work, and an impressive dessert spread at the aquarium)

Friday, I whipped together a tuna salad with avocado and stuffed it into a bell pepper for lunch, along with some berries. Saturday, I went to Chipotle and had a salad with barbacoa, fajita veggies, lots of salsa, and a side of guac. At the Aquarium, I hit up the salad bar and had a green salad with broccoli, chicken breast, an egg, and balsamic dressing.  I couldn't eat part of it though because I realized the dressing had sugar, so I had to kind of scrape the dressing off and not eat some of the greens. Boo :(

It's really starting to blow my mind how hard it is to find food "in public" that doesn't have a non-compliant ingredient. Roasted nuts? Nope, peanut oil. Salad dressing? Nope, soybean oil and sugar. Fruit salad? Nope, sugar. Hell, even pre-cooked chicken breast has starch in it sometimes.  It's getting me so frustrated -- not with the program, but with the rest of the world! Where is all the non-industrialized food???

BUT! We're halfway there! It's like hump day! All down hill from here.

Saturday, I went to Chipotle and had a salad with barbacoa, fajita veggies, lots of salsa, and a side of guac. 

Sorry, the Chipotle barbacoa and fajita veggies are not compliant, as both are cooked in rice bran oil.

https://www.chipotle.com/en-us/menu/ingredients_statement/ingredients_statement.aspx

Accidental ingestion of rice bran oil does not require a restart. Just don't have these items again for the rest of your Whole30.

Sorry, the Chipotle barbacoa and fajita veggies are not compliant, as both are cooked in rice bran oil.

https://www.chipotle.com/en-us/menu/ingredients_statement/ingredients_statement.aspx

Accidental ingestion of rice bran oil does not require a restart. Just don't have these items again for the rest of your Whole30.

@mads:

Stick to lettuce, carnitas, salsa mild, medium and/or hot and guac next time!

I thought the carnitas were cooked with (sunflower) seed oil? Wouldn't that make them non-compliant?

Sunflower oil is relunctantly allowed when dining out, as it's a popular choice in restaurant cooking. See the Whole30 Can I Have Guide for details. Just limit it to dining out only and don't consume it at home.

My hormones are going crazy. Last time I did a whole30, I didn't have a period at all. This time I have, and I've had the worst cramps since I was a teenager, off and on for nearly 22 hours.

So I bit the bullet and made an appointment with my nearest primal doc. Fingers crossed she can give me some guidance! I'm excited, but also trying not to get my hopes up. I've been disappointed before with health practitioners.

I'm trying to keep the perspective that obviously this whole30 is shifting some things in my endocrine system, and maybe it's one of those it'll-get-worse-before-it-gets-better things. Silver lining: no chocolate cravings at all! :D

If it required a restart, you can be sure I wouldn't be restarting. I need to be able to function in the real world. Why is rice bran oil a problem? Is it just that it was derived from a grain? What is the negative impact it would have on the body?

If it required a restart, you can be sure I wouldn't be restarting. I need to be able to function in the real world. Why is rice bran oil a problem? Is it just that it was derived from a grain? What is the negative impact it would have on the body?

No rice per the Whole30 rules, specifically as part of the no grains rule. If you have ISWF, there is an entire chapter on grains and the effects they can have.

No rice per the Whole30 rules, specifically as part of the no grains rule. If you have ISWF, there is an entire chapter on grains and the effects they can have.

I get why no grains. I ate paleo for years. But this is literally the first time I've heard of rice bran oil and I'm wondering what the problem is with the oil specifically, or if it's just the fact that it's derived from rice.

@mads:

Stick to lettuce, carnitas, salsa mild, medium and/or hot and guac next time!

Okay, can we talk about how the mods/ experienced people offer support?

I spent a whole post talking about what a tough weekend it was for eating, how I really struggled to make responsible choices and how proud of myself I was for not caving in to the stress, sleepiness, and the desserts all around me. And the only response I get is what I did wrong? What about, "Wow, you stayed really self aware and made smart choice," or "that sucks about the salad dressing -- good for you for eating around it" and acknowledging that this is HARD and does not come naturally to any of us?  it bothers me that so much of the "Mod support" is just criticism.

I get why no grains. I ate paleo for years. But this is literally the first time I've heard of rice bran oil and I'm wondering what the problem is with the oil specifically, or if it's just the fact that it's derived from rice.

It's the fact that it's derived from rice, which isn't allowed on a Whole30.

And yes, it can be tricky to navigate eating out and staying compliant. I apologize that my earlier post didn't acknowledge your challenges and successes you've had.  I hope you will continue and I sincerely wish you the best in your results. 

My boyfriend returned from Afghanistan on Friday and has been gorging on food that he hasn't had for the past 2 years (hot dogs, pizza, so much alcohol, ect.). His mom is a "semi-homemade" cook who relies heavily on processed food. I have accepted that I will not get support while at their house and need to make all my food to bring there. I am struggling to get them to understand that this diet is for my overall health. I really hate describing this program as a "diet" because people give me dirty looks since I am not overweight. My boyfriend thinks that he eats healthfully but really does not think about what he puts in his body. I'm hoping to help him learn without seeming preachy. 

My friends's wedding was last night and everyone was very supportive of my decision to stick to Whole30 but still offers food that is off the plan. It is pretty annoying to have to turn down cupcakes and drinks 10 times!

My family is very food focused and always have tons of food around. Normally, I would eat a ridiculous amount of appetizers. then sit down to a full meal. then have a price of each dessert. I am now realizing how entirely unnecessary this is. My family all came over to celebrate father's day today and I made a delicious coleslaw salad with chicken to eat. I occupied myself by holding my baby nephews and playing with the dogs. I did not feel deprived at all and had a great day. 

I'm planning for a big trip to the grocery store and am hoping to get some cooking done tomorrow. I made a curry tonight with all my left over veggies (I'm obsessed with curry and can't get enough even after spending 2 weeks in Thailand in April). I love to cook and have had fun making mayo and tons of compliant sauces. I really like following this plan because it takes decisions out of my hands. I follow the meal template for my three meals a day and that's it. 

It's really starting to blow my mind how hard it is to find food "in public" that doesn't have a non-compliant ingredient. Roasted nuts? Nope, peanut oil. Salad dressing? Nope, soybean oil and sugar. Fruit salad? Nope, sugar. Hell, even pre-cooked chicken breast has starch in it sometimes. It's getting me so frustrated -- not with the program, but with the rest of the world! Where is all the non-industrialized food???

BUT! We're halfway there! It's like hump day! All down hill from here.

@mads i think this all the time too. It is frustrating and pisses me off. It shows how much politics plays a role in what we consume as well. Why does soy need to be in everything? Agricultural lobbyists maybe?

Sorry I didn't comment on the rest of your post before. I always zone in on the word "chipotle" that's why I just wanted to add to Gf chris's comment to say what you could choose next time. The whole avoiding sugar and desserts thing at events especially is really difficult at first. You find yourself kind of staring at other people eating it and feeling left out. At least that's how I used to feel. Once I conquered the control that sugar and carbs had over me, it feels normal and empowering to choose not to have dessert. I no longer feel left out. I feel in control.

Great job on making it half way and making through a challenging weekend. It can be frustrating at times, especially when out in public and travelling.

My boyfriend returned from Afghanistan on Friday and has been gorging on food that he hasn't had for the past 2 years (hot dogs, pizza, so much alcohol, ect.). His mom is a "semi-homemade" cook who relies heavily on processed food. I have accepted that I will not get support while at their house and need to make all my food to bring there. I am struggling to get them to understand that this diet is for my overall health. I really hate describing this program as a "diet" because people give me dirty looks since I am not overweight. My boyfriend thinks that he eats healthfully but really does not think about what he puts in his body. I'm hoping to help him learn without seeming preachy.

My friends's wedding was last night and everyone was very supportive of my decision to stick to Whole30 but still offers food that is off the plan. It is pretty annoying to have to turn down cupcakes and drinks 10 times!

My family is very food focused and always have tons of food around. Normally, I would eat a ridiculous amount of appetizers. then sit down to a full meal. then have a price of each dessert. I am now realizing how entirely unnecessary this is. My family all came over to celebrate father's day today and I made a delicious coleslaw salad with chicken to eat. I occupied myself by holding my baby nephews and playing with the dogs. I did not feel deprived at all and had a great day.

I'm planning for a big trip to the grocery store and am hoping to get some cooking done tomorrow. I made a curry tonight with all my left over veggies (I'm obsessed with curry and can't get enough even after spending 2 weeks in Thailand in April). I love to cook and have had fun making mayo and tons of compliant sauces. I really like following this plan because it takes decisions out of my hands. I follow the meal template for my three meals a day and that's it.

Great job at your family event and many thanks to your bf for serving our country and to you for getting through what must have been a difficult time while he was away! I would have been a worried wreck.

I also finished out the challenging weekend!  We were low on groceries because we had some other expenses crop up that took some of our grocery money, so I was cobbling together meals.  Today starts a new week, and I will be eating better-balanced meals this evening! 

Just over two weeks in, and my eczema...which has been an infected, inflamed, itchy mess for the past 2.5 years...is clear right now.  My hands are clear, no eczema, no cracked and bleeding areas.  I'm astounded.  I've tried EVERYTHING, and nothing has helped.  Despite all my doctors insisting that it's NOT food related... could it be so simple?  It has cleared up for a week or so a couple of times, so I'm not calling this a complete success yet.  But this is the most hopeful I've been in ages.  If it stays clear for the duration of this month, I'll know I'm onto something.  I'll share pics at the end!

Last night I was thinking about my boyfriend's upcoming visit (he currently lives in another state, and is making the transition to move here) and was thinking about what all meals I can cook for him. It won't be hard for him to eat a Whole30 lifestyle, his mother is a no processed foods type of cook (yay!).

I was thinking of the first night he'll be here. I pick him up at the airport that evening and I know things will be rushed, so I was thinking of ordering a thin crust pizza to feed us. Then the thought of eating bread made me feel sooooooooo nauseous!

Have any of you experienced that yet? Where the thought of eating something bad for you makes you feel sick?

Archived