Hate sweet potatoes but need carbs! What to sub?

There. I said it. I hate sweet potatoes. I have never had a sweet tooth (candy... cake... cookies... No thanks!) and I find them too sweet to be tolerable, even when prepared in a way designed to make them "savory" (e.g. herbs, chicken fat, pork belly fat, etc.).

I need the carbs, though, because I am an active nursing mother.

So what do I sub?

I've been eating carrots (roasting them in olive oil).

I have never eaten a rutabaga or parsnip. How do I prepare them? What do they taste like?

I've tried jicama. Yuck. Looks like a potato, but too sweet!

Rutabaga is milder than turnip. You can diced them up and roast them in the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper for 45-60 min. You can boil carrots and turnip in water, drain and mash with a little ghee. You can boil parsnip or roast it. Squash, beets, plantains are also good choices.

It is possible to change your tastes, if you really want to. Science tells us this "not liking" phenomena is actually really only mental. really.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/01/can-we-really-acquire-taste-picky-eater_n_5461663.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

That said: nobody is going to make you eat a sweet potato if you don't want to. There are TONS of options. Parsnip, jicama and rutabaga, yes. Winter squash, carrots, yuca/cassava, taro, beets, plantains. I recommend cutting any combination of these veggies (maybe not the jicama or plantain) into equal sized chunks, tossing them in animal fat or coconut oil and roasting in the oven around 400 degrees until tender (time will depend on how large your chunks were. Open the oven and toss and test ever 15 minutes or so for up to an hour+/-). give them a good sprinkle of sea salt at the end.

Winter squash is awesome. I love acorn and butternut, but recently I discovered kabocha squash, also called a japanese pumpkin. It is definately starchy, but I don't find them to be sweet at all (the other winter squashes I listed can get kind of sweet when ripe) They are more nutty. I peel it, and cut it into thin wedges, then toss with melted coconut oil, salt, and pepper and arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for about 35 minutes at 400 degrees. Super delicious.

Thanks for the article MissMary, I need to add to my veggie list, I don't like a lot of veggies so it's good to know that I can change my taste for them. I also didn't think I liked sweet potatoes, but I've really come to enjoy them.

You have gotten lots of great ideas already. I would also add maybe to try different varieties of sweet potatoes and don't roast them if you don't like them super sweet. I've found the less orange a sweet potato is the less sweet it is and I've also found that if I saute them they are not as sweet as roasted. But yes so many other options out there...try them all! :)

Peacefrog, why do you need more starchy carbs? Are you trying to get to a certain carb count?

Could you have 1/2 - 1 banana a day instead? Or plaintains? They are like unsweetened bananas unless you let them get super ripe.

Also, there are different varities of sweet potatoes. The "white" ones are pretty close to yukon or gold potatoes, but you might find them sweet too? Jicama and/or Squash might be a good choice. IMHO parsnips, like carrots are even sweeter than sweet potatoes. (I can't stand them, although I keep trying.

:)

Peacefrog, why do you need more starchy carbs? Are you trying to get to a certain carb count?

People who are active and nursing moms need more carbs than the average Whole30 participant and she is both. :) 

Thanks for the ideas! I live in the boonies, so my produce selection is limited. But I have seen both rutabaga and parsnips in my supermarket. I've been looking for celery root, but no dice yet.

I'm not a huge fan of winter squash. Again, they seem too sweet. I eat a boatload of summer squash, though.

Maybe I'll try beets. Can you believe the only beets I've ever tasted are the kind in a can?

Thanks for the ideas! I live in the boonies, so my produce selection is limited. But I have seen both rutabaga and parsnips in my supermarket. I've been looking for celery root, but no dice yet.

I'm not a huge fan of winter squash. Again, they seem too sweet. I eat a boatload of summer squash, though.

Maybe I'll try beets. Can you believe the only beets I've ever tasted are the kind in a can?

I thought I detested beets until I tried fresh ones. Really good roasted and I've also enjoyed them cut up on a salad. I have a vegetable spiralizer and run my beets through that to make them nice and thin when I eat them raw. 

There. I said it. I hate sweet potatoes. I have never had a sweet tooth (candy... cake... cookies... No thanks!) and I find them too sweet to be tolerable, even when prepared in a way designed to make them "savory" (e.g. herbs, chicken fat, pork belly fat, etc.).

I need the carbs, though, because I am an active nursing mother.

So what do I sub?

I've been eating carrots (roasting them in olive oil).

I have never eaten a rutabaga or parsnip. How do I prepare them? What do they taste like?

I've tried jicama. Yuck. Looks like a potato, but too sweet!

Nom Nom Paleo has a really good carrot and parsnip puree recipe I've made a couple of times.  You can substitute ghee for the butter! http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4105061950/carrot-parsnip-puree

My go-to starchy veg is diced rutabaga & parsnip roasted in the oven with cumin & fennel seeds. I usually microwave the dice first to soften and then roast, turning frequently until browned. Lush :)

NomNom Paleo has a great recipe in her iPad app for a root veggie mash. It basically an equal amount of parsnips and carrots (by weight) peeled, 3 leeks (white parts only) a head of cauliflower and some chicken broth.

Cook the parsnips and carrots in some melted ghee for a few minutes. Add the leeks and cauliflower. Add 1/2 chicken broth and 1/2 cup water and cook covered on lowish heat for 30-40 minutes, until every thing is soft. Mash everything with a masher (or a stick blender) and season to taste.

My hubby happily piles this on his plate next to his protein. Very flavourful and yummy!

I know you said you live in the boonies where produce was limited, but I tried a Japanese sweet potato recently - it's white, not orange, on the inside (red on the outside).  It wasn't sweet at all, and pretty starchy.  (I actually didn't like much at first for those reasons, but it might be right up your alley.  :)  )

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Question:  In the revised book, it says white potatoes are okay (just not as in fries and chips).   Does that mean red potatoes, gold yukon, etc., or just white?

All varieties, even purple.

Archived