August 4 Start Group

wvictoria

Hey Linzeey....I totally agree about the exercise thing.  I know its good for me, I know I feel better when I do it, but I still put it off or find "something else" to do.  Anybody have any ideas for motivation???

Good morning! Just browsing through as I finish my morning coffee and felt compelled to respond and encourage. I, too, was struggling to "fit" exercise in. Here's what worked for me: I am the queen of procrastination.........But the other day I saw a post on FB of a friend of mine who had lost a ton of weight yet still has back problems. Sounds discouraging but, in spite of that, she runs 2 miles at least three times a week. She has inspired me. Moral of the story: If she can do that, I can do something for my health. And you are more important than the "other things" you have to do.

PS: I am post Whole 30 and did not exercise during as it was all I could do to concentrate on my meals. But now that I've got the eating down I am adding movement to the mix.

Good luck!

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi I started Aug 4 too. I am looking for ideas to deal with the upcoming weekend. That is always my weakest point! I have a couple of parties (alcohol!!!!) that I am most worried about. I know there were some tips in the email this morning (club soda with olives to mimic cocktail etc) but I wondered if anyone else had ideas!

Thanks

Jane (mom of 3 boys, work f.t., 41)

Good morning! Just browsing through as I finish my morning coffee and felt compelled to respond and encourage. I, too, was struggling to "fit" exercise in. Here's what worked for me: I am the queen of procrastination.........But the other day I saw a post on FB of a friend of mine who had lost a ton of weight yet still has back problems. Sounds discouraging but, in spite of that, she runs 2 miles at least three times a week. She has inspired me. Moral of the story: If she can do that, I can do something for my health. And you are more important than the "other things" you have to do.

PS: I am post Whole 30 and did not exercise during as it was all I could do to concentrate on my meals. But now that I've got the eating down I am adding movement to the mix.

Good luck!

Fwiw, just like Kathyopgh I did whole30/paleo for 6 months before I really added exercise in. Now my body is finally to the point where it craves exercise (2-3 x a week). Remember the title of the book (that I still have to read 1 year later), "It Starts With FOOD". Which is so true. I lost 50lbs just with food. Then I added one workout in, then 2. If you are someone who is just starting paleo/whole30, my advice would be to concentrate on that and perhaps do something enjoyable to you like taking a walk with a loved one. If running or lifting weights freaks you out right now, don't do it. Figure out what works for you food wise and when you get in the groove and it becomes automatic to eat this way, that's when it may be good for you to concentrate more on adding in some exercise. Remember any healthy movement will benefit you. :-)

Day 5/6 - quick update before I hit the road. Still gathering together my lunch, but I think I've come up with a plan. An apple, two hard boiled eggs, and some veggies will hold me over until after the meeting, and then I can either suck up the hunger until I get home, or I can take a detour to a closeish city and hit up one of their vegetarian/vegan places for dinner. I'm going to buy that thermos, thanks for the link! (and please forgive me for not tracking down who left the link for me upstream).

I bought free-range grass-fed eggs last night, eating them now. They're good, but I don't really taste the amazing difference that I was kind of expecting after all the reading I've been doing. They just taste like (expensive) eggs! Breakfast today is 3 eggs, scrambled with baby spinach and baby kale, and Monkey Salad. I love Monkey Salad. I found it reading through someone's Whole30 blog from a few years ago, (possibly goodcheapeats.com) and it's delicious. Banana, coconut flakes, and cashews. If I can ever find dried cranberries that aren't made with sugar, I'll throw those in as well. I can easily see this being the breakfast I eat every day. 

Glad to see everyone is hanging in there! I've been very lucky in that I've had no cravings or irritability really. Sleepy, and I think I need to eat more for lunch because I've been low energy in the late afternoon. I just haven't adapted to the full thing yet - I'm filling up a lot quicker. All that green stuff, I guess!

I've been doing well (I think), staying within the guidelines.  The problem is that I'm having thoughts that it seems counter-intuitive, from all the eating plans that I have been on before, to have this much fat in my diet.  I'm finding that I feel a bit guilty after eating veggies with pesto, or burger or chorizo with eggs.  However, my jeans don't feel as "biting" today. 

Hi, everyone!  I'm glad you guys are counting the days.  I don't because my mind is more focused on the days left before school begins and how much I need to get done before then.  Teachers report back on Aug 22, and all of the teachers in here know that when we go back, they give us absolutely NO time to plan or prep for classes to begin. Instead, we sit in meeting after conference after lecture getting developed professionally.  Personally, I think they have an alterior motive - we learn empathy for the kids having to sit in a desk all day listening to people drone on and on.  

I wish this board had spellcheck. I have so many typos until I reread.

@rdherron, welcome to the group!  I know what you mean about pain and I'm still in my 40's.  That's MY biggest reason for wanting to downsize.  It's not about getting into a hot bikini, it's about doing fun stuff without it hurting me.  Eating better definitely helps reduce the inflammation, but weight causes a lot of my pain issues - my ankles, my knees, my lower back. 

I played my son at racquetball yesterday and didn't feel so much joint pain afterwards.  I beat him, but he had me runnning a lot more than normal.  I played competitively in college so I have the advantage of technique, but he has the advatages of strength and speed. Racquetball is interesting in that if you know good technique, you don't really move that much.  Not a good thing for exercise. lol

@misskrissy27, awesome on the pants!  I am wearing a shirt that was too tight in the belly this summer and it fits liek it should again, but I'm scared of trying on my pants yet.  At the end of the school year, I was hard-pressed to find pants I could wear to work.  One goal I have here is to be able to fit into all of my work pants again so I don't have to buy a new wardrobe for school (though that is a FUN thought! haha). 

I fried fish in coconut flour last night for my husband and me. The coconut flour burned by the time the fish cooked through.  Yuk. 

Day 5. I'm miserable. The thing that pushed me into the Whole 30 was that I was feeling down and had no energy, now I feel worse. I'm just sat on the sofa looking at the mess that is my house and I can't bear to do anything about it. I had a 20 minute nap which helped a little but I still feel depressed.
I know this is normal for this stage of the Whole 30 but I'm worried because I feel worse than I did before I started, and I was pretty low then.

Day 5. I'm miserable. The thing that pushed me into the Whole 30 was that I was feeling down and had no energy, now I feel worse. I'm just sat on the sofa looking at the mess that is my house and I can't bear to do anything about it. I had a 20 minute nap which helped a little but I still feel depressed.

I know this is normal for this stage of the Whole 30 but I'm worried because I feel worse than I did before I started, and I was pretty low then.

I am in the same boat. I just keep re-reading the time line to make myself believe that this is normal. I feel TERRIBLE today. I want to kill everyone and also I just want to crawl under my desk and take a coma. ha. I could sleep for like 30 years I think, I feel foggy and grouchy and depressed and I HATE everything. especially the cookies in the break room. i HATE them. and i want them so badly!!! 

I guess its nice to know i'm not alone here. but geez. I can't wait for this part to be over. 

Keep at it, stay strong, and know that better things are only 3 weeks away!! 

I'll let you know! So far, suggestions have been to pack things that don't need refrigeration, which I was all DUH OBVIOUSLY about, and then read on to see waterless tuna packs. Which I hadn't even thought of. So, you know, the DUH was on me. :D  Also, food thermoses. I didn't even know those were a thing.

Audiobooks! Find a book you've been wanting to read, load it on your phone/mp3 player, and then only allow yourself to listen to it when you're exercising. I've been mainlining the Game of Thrones series this way, and sometimes my three-mile walk turns into four miles because what's happening is exciting and I don't want to stop listening. I'm giving myself a break on the exercise for week one, while I adjust to a) Whole30 and B) having sole responsibility for the poodles in the house. You'd think little dogs would want to run around and take long walks, but these guys are Over It. No long walks for them.

Tonight I try out my random "all the root veggies in my kitchen" slow cooker meal. I'm excited, just got to throw in a meat with it and dinner is made. 

(the blog is done. I'm ridic chatty.)

I totally agree with the audiobooks.  It actually makes me look forward to walking! I find I need music for more intense workouts and running (which I haven't done in a few years, so what do I know?). A good audiobook makes walking such a pleasure!

Tuni

Hang in there, everyone! I think most of us are having a hard time right now. Now is when we need each other more than ever. I just got a text from my sister who started on the 4th with me and my daughter. She is on a boat with clients with tons of party food, and she just texted me all proud because she has resisted everything and only had one tiny glass of wine. #facepalm. WHAT? She said she didn't have time to read the book and that she'd just figure it out as she went. Of course, I had to be the one to tell her that she was now back on day zero.

If I didn't already want to Kill All The Things today, I might feel more compassion for her, but, come on already. Wine? Really? Read the book already!

Okay, I'm better now. I had to vent somewhere. Thanks for being there. I'll go be nice now.

I am in the same boat. I just keep re-reading the time line to make myself believe that this is normal. I feel TERRIBLE today. I want to kill everyone and also I just want to crawl under my desk and take a coma. ha. I could sleep for like 30 years I think, I feel foggy and grouchy and depressed and I HATE everything. especially the cookies in the break room. i HATE them. and i want them so badly!!! 

I guess its nice to know i'm not alone here. but geez. I can't wait for this part to be over. 

Keep at it, stay strong, and know that better things are only 3 weeks away!! 

Thank you! I'm only worried because I felt bad before the whole 30 and now I feel worse. I haven't the energy to kill all things :-)

I've been shopping to cheer myself up (which is stupid 'cos I've only earned £50 this week, however...). If you are in the UK Tescos have 3 for £10 on venison and duck, so I bought that with some beef. I bought cocoa and raspberries and a bargain water butt for the garden. Duck for breakfast it is :-)

I know exactly what you mean.  I started for the same reason.  A little weight loss would be a nice side effect, but mostly I was tired of feeling run-down all the time.

I know that what I was doing before wasn't working, so I'm sticking to this to give it a chance. It makes me a little hopeful that I'm supposed to feel like this at this stage, and am looking forward to a little tiger blood in the near future!

Hi there everyone. Happy day 5 and Friday. Feeling good today. Although I have had at least one "kill all the things" episode every day. But I tell myself that's what it is and I find something else to focus on and wait for it to pass. Seems to be working for now.

Tonight I'm going to a restaurant for a birthday party and my husband and I have already decided to order steak and bring our own ghee. The way I see it, eating out should be a treat anyway so might as well get a good steak, baked potato and veggies. I already know I'm going to want a beer but I will pass.

On another note, my husband has terrible asthma, a deviated septum with a cyst he needs removed from his sinuses, and sleep apnea. Needless to say, he snores and he snores LOUD!! This week, he has snored nice and quietly. Trust me, this is a huge improvement. I told him and he said he's feeling much better.

So I hope everyone has a great weekend! Good luck staying compliant! You can do it!

I thought I bypassed the "kill all the things" part of this adventure, but I don't think so.  It's not centered around food (yet), but I'm finding that the majority of people that I am surrounded by are much more annoying than usual.  Isn't it weird how they all get annoying at once???  lol.....Guess I had to realize I'm the common denominator.  Darn. 

Amnblack ~ I agree it's a good idea to distract ourselves before we (I) get too snarky.  I really like the fact that we are forewarned about what to expect. 

Hi there!

I'm stunned. I feel absolutely NORMAL. Just like every day. Which means: not terribly bad, but not terribly good either.  I have no cravings, no aches; no tiger blood, no flat belly. What's (not) happening to me?  :mellow:

Day 5/6 - quick update before I hit the road. Still gathering together my lunch, but I think I've come up with a plan. An apple, two hard boiled eggs, and some veggies will hold me over until after the meeting, and then I can either suck up the hunger until I get home, or I can take a detour to a closeish city and hit up one of their vegetarian/vegan places for dinner. 

The-ames, how did you do? I'm afraid you're not eating enough protein. Two eggs for lunch and then a vegetarian dinner...  :unsure:

I've been doing well (I think), staying within the guidelines.  The problem is that I'm having thoughts that it seems counter-intuitive, from all the eating plans that I have been on before, to have this much fat in my diet.  I'm finding that I feel a bit guilty after eating veggies with pesto, or burger or chorizo with eggs.  However, my jeans don't feel as "biting" today. 

Research has shown repeatedly that high fat diets work (as do high-protein, but for a shorter period), while high-carb don't.

Personally, I think they have an alterior motive - we learn empathy for the kids having to sit in a desk all day listening to people drone on and on.  

LOL  :D  (hope it works) 

Don't fear the fat! This is my second round, this time I have added more veggies into my breakfast and haven't been scared of the fat, which I think I was last time, even though I was following the guidelines. I've also added more exercise, even when I didn't really want to. I know the no scale rule, but I'm in a weight loss challenge at work and I'm down 6.5lb since starting compared to a total of 10 during the first round.

So...went to dinner tonight with a large group of friends. I should preface this with the fact that I consider myself a foodie and somewhat of a snob. I almost never eat at chain restaurants (except maybe papadeaux) and when I do Its because I'm with a large group of non food snobs. This is fine. I just like what I like. We were supposed to go to another chain restaurant that I don't mind and I was all ready wih my order and then the location changed at the last minute. Fine. The place we ended up at has mostly tex/mex, burgers, and pasta. I still ordered a steak. I doubled my green beans and got rid of the pre mashed potatoes. I asked for no butter on anything. The steak came out fine but the green beans came out with bacon in them. I thought I might be able to pick around it, but they permitted the side. Oh well. I left them on the plate. I think I did fine considering the huge baskets of chips and salsa in front of me. I got into talking to everyone so that I would forget about it. It worked. After all, I was there to socialize rather than dwell on what I was eating. But it is helpful when literally nothing on the menu I was interested in.

Overall I had a nice time socializing and I didn't feel like I needed a glass of wine to have a good time. It was a nice evening out.

Day 6, I woke up tired but couldn't get back to sleep, had breakfast, moved the living room round a little to see if a physical change of perspective would get me out of this headspace. Went back to bed for an hour then went out to buy yarn for socks. Just had lunch of home made burgers in a spicy tomato sauce with salad and I'm going back to bed.

Hoping to make some inroads on the shelves in the hall project after my nap.

The daily email says "*Good news: most Whole30’ers report the energy “magic” kicking in around days 7-11… right around the corner!" I really hope that is true!

Good going, amnblack!  My husband and I went dancing last night and debated going out to dinner, but I just didn't feel like trying to pick compliant stuff yet so I just cooked us something quick instead. 

When teachers report, we almost always end up going out to lunch together and we usually pick a Mexican place.  I have to start thinking about what I can eat there.  It's tough.  Here, by my house, we have a Mexican restaurant run by Guatemalans.  They always have tajadas (fried plantains) and pork roast.  It was one of the places we considered last night.  But then you get to thinking about what spices they may have used in the roast or what oil they fried the plantains in... I'd prefer to just not eat out this month, but with my teacher friends, it is usually for school-related discussions.  Maybe I'll be sure to eat first, then go with them and just have a coffee. 

I woke up this morning sick of eggs.  Didn't think that would happen with the mountain of ways you can make them.  I keep some shrimp in the freezer so I tossed those in a pan with my awesome sauce (kids named it) and a pile of the leftover garlic-roasted cauliflower from last night.  Meh.  All good, but I just didn't feel like eating - I know I'm not alone in that, right? 

post-50304-0-80360900-1407587911_thumb.j

Who here has pets and what kind?  I attached a pic of mine.  She's a pitbull named Shenzi who does this everytime I am on the computer for more than ten minutes... (That's my mouse hand she's trying to cover)

I'm headed to the market with Shenzi!  She and I go every Saturday. This year, I think I'll cry when it ends.  The fresh produce I get there is amazing.  A friend was complaining that it costs more than buying at the local super, but I reminded her that it hasn't been sitting in a truck for a month before we buy it.  I have a zucchini from the market three weeks ago sitting on my counter looking brand new.  Anything I buy from the super gets slimy or moldy within three days of opening the plastic coverings.  How many of you are lucky enough to have a local farmers' market? 

Day six, and I woke up with a lot more energy to get up and start the day.  I started reading the book last night (I know, better late than never).  What an eye opener.  I think that will help me stay focused

Amnblack ~ It must feel good to wake up this morning knowing you socializing with your friends was more important than the food.  That's awsome. 

Josephine ~ First, I have a cat that I inherited from my daughter.  She is the talky-est thing ever, and quite the alarm clock.  I'm not sure how to upload pictures.  Hell, I'm not sure how to copy things I'm responding to (obviously).  We have great farmer's markets here this time of year.  The saturday one also has music.  It's great.  The only downside is they also have fresh baked goodies.  I'm VERY lucky because my neighbor has a great garden that produces more than he can handle.  So, I'm going picking this morning.  Yay!!!!

The weekends can bring some challenges......stay strong!!!

Holy cow I'm tired. Traveled with the fam yesterday from Philly to Seattle. Had 3 eggs, butternut squash, kale and spinach and bacon fat and coconut oil for breakfast. Leftover pork, broccoli, mushrooms and sunshine sauce for lunch. Did not feel satisfied after either and was pretty crabby with the hub. Kill all things, maybe? At airport while the fam was snacking on cookies and crackers at the usairways club, I ate an apple and tjs go raw nut/raisin mix. Got a salad from aubonpain to eat on the plane. Ate that and still felt hungry. Ate 2 larabars a banana and a travel packet of walnut butter. I got to my in laws house around 130 pm my "body time" and fried up 3 eggs in ghee and had 2 sweet potatoes and blueberries. I think I was battling exhaustion and dehydration. My son woke up at 4 am seattle time, and I hadn't gone to sleep til maybe 1030 seattle time, so I'm pretty tired because I never fell back asleep after getting him set up with the tv. Today we have a family party to go.to. debating on whether or not to pan dry a chicken breast to bring bc I doubt that the meat they have will be compliant. Also really wanting to eat the bacon my mother in law is cooking up right now... I have to check the label, but pretty sure there's sugar. Alas. I'll eat eggs, spinach and potatoes and a big cup.of coconut milk coffee. Hopefully I make it through today. Soooooo tired. Need to.chug a ton of water. Will be happy to be at a party on the water. Will be gorgeous. Also taking a ferry ride which is always fun. Will check in later.

:-)

Josephine- yes I feel pretty good today that I could make last night about friends not food. Or drinks.

I have 3 dogs and 2 cats. A rot/mastiff/shepherd mix names Thuo. A pit/pointer mix named Lulu. An Engish/bull mastiff mix named Arya. Cats are named mini and pippin. We love them. I think everyone should have a pet.

So football starts in Texas next week which means lots of time outside in the heat and long hours at work before school starts up. My biggest challenge is going to be meal planning for long days.

Also, I am not sick of eggs, but I ate eggs every day for breakfast even before this.

On the being sick of eggs front... during my 1st whole 30 I complained of this to and someone suggested doing fried eggs instead of scrambled or omelettes. That helped so much. I don't get sick of fried eggs. Yum. I do get sick of scrambled.

Josephine- yes I feel pretty good today that I could make last night about friends not food. Or drinks.

I have 3 dogs and 2 cats. A rot/mastiff/shepherd mix names Thuo. A pit/pointer mix named Lulu. An Engish/bull mastiff mix named Arya. Cats are named mini and pippin. We love them. I think everyone should have a pet.

So football starts in Texas next week which means lots of time outside in the heat and long hours at work before school starts up. My biggest challenge is going to be meal planning for long days.

Also, I am not sick of eggs, but I ate eggs every day for breakfast even before this.

Hi amnblack,

This article may help you on your long days:

http://whole30.com/2011/07/whats-in-your-cooler/

Archived