August 4 Start Group

wvictoria

I think I'm going through the phase where my pants feel tight. I haven't weighed myself and I haven't eaten anything off plan, but I feel huge this morning. It's hard not to feel discouraged. But I'm trying to remind myself it's only been a week.

Just remember it is a 30 day process. It is frustrating sometimes but the rewards are great, especially if you continue on with paleo/whole9 life afterwards.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'm going through the phase where my pants feel tight. I haven't weighed myself and I haven't eaten anything off plan, but I feel huge this morning. It's hard not to feel discouraged. But I'm trying to remind myself it's only been a week.

I can relate.  My pants are tight too.  I've seen a few people post that they think their's are looser.  HA! Not mine. I'm reassuring myself that at least I am feeling better and trying to trust the process.  I'm definitely ready to see some physical change though. Keep on, keepin' on.

I made it through the weekend just fine and have been doing pretty good emotionally until last night and today. I woke up 40 minutes late this morning and that didn't start my morning well.  I even yelled at the cat!!!  Now I'm just plain cranky.  I understand whats going on, so I'm sure it will pass.  I made breakfast this morning, but didn't feel like eating (although I did).  I woke up hungry, but after drinking some water, I just wasn't hungry anymore.  Maybe I need to eat first thing instead of right before I leave for work.   I made a great salad for lunch but just remembered I forgot the dressing!!  My brain is so unfocused...I put the wrong slip on (which is longer than my skirt), I found a small towel statically attached to it when I got to work.  Jeez!!!!

Mantra:  This too shall pass......

Tuni congratulations on a successful weekend.  So sweet that your family stepped up to the plate (no pun intended).  

amron That is a helluva start to your day.  It can only get better from here, right?  The cranky will pass.  It always does.  Whether food related or not no one stays cranky forever.  This too shall pass.  

I have to confess that I weighed myself this weekend.  I know I'm not supposed to and I suppose as cheats go it's better than actually eating off plan.  I need to hide my scale.  Right now it's under a corner shelf unit but the shelf unit isn't deep enough to completely cover it so the edge sticks out and tempts me to just get on and see if I've lost anything.  I've been a daily weigher my whole life so it's a hard habit to break.  

My primary motivation is to support my daughter who started August 1.  And now that I've talked my boss into it I feel like I have to stick to it if for no other reason than to not feel like I've abandoned two people who I care about.  And also to prove my husband wrong who, when I told him I wouldn't be drinking alcohol for 30 days laughed at me and said I'd never do it.  I am determined to prove him wrong.  

And of course as someone who's been trying to lose the same 25 lbs for the past 5 years losing some weight would be awesome. 

The rest of my motivation is an experiment.  We've been eating primarily organic for more than a year.  We don't eat processed foods as a rule though my husband does have a sweet tooth and so there's always cookies and ice cream in the house.  I feel like my diet pre Whole30 was very balanced and I don't have any food intolerance issues so it will be interesting to see if I notice the kind of remarkable change that others have noticed.  Yup, I've made myself a guinea pig for my own amusement.  But not completing the entire 30 days would negate the experiment and that's another thing that just keeps me on track.  

If I look at the entire 30 days it feels impossible but if I narrow my focus to just today or this week it's totally do-able. 

Day 8. I woke up tired, had breakfast then went back to bed for half an hour. I don't feel fantastic but I do feel like I can get some things done. My clothes don't feel tight though they don't feel any looser either.

I do feel a bit happier, Autumn is just starting here, I got a nice haul of half price organic veg this morning to make into tomato sauce and freeze - aubergines, tomatos, 2 little squashes, onions, peppers........

I haven't got any meal plans for the rest of the week yet and I need to focus on that. My son is back from his dads and he doesn't eat meat, or many veg but he does eat fish, so it will be fish for dinner tomorrow night.

I would love a nice cold glass of dry white wine, but I'll have some flat fizzy water instead.

Just remember it is a 30 day process. It is frustrating sometimes but the rewards are great, especially if you continue on with paleo/whole9 life afterwards.

CharDoll....over the course of the past year, did you take "timeouts"....or did you go straight through without any.   Thanks for sharing.

CharDoll....over the course of the past year, did you take "timeouts"....or did you go straight through without any. Thanks for sharing.

I stayed paleo, but would have occasional indulgences. (Dark chocolate, paleo zucchini muffins, paleo pumpkin panacakes, maple syrup, corn chips, pizza were my main choices for indulgence) I know that I can't go back to non paleo ways. I feel horrible when I do. I like eating the paleo/whole9 way. Never went back to bread and pasta (except when I was basically forced to in Italy when eating at family homes since there was no other choice).

CharDoll....you're making me nervous.  I'm going to Italy 9/23.  I will be done with the 30, but would like to feel good while I'm there.  I won't be staying at any family homes, though, so maybe I will have more choices??? 

Ragbaby: I like to buy a new nail polish and give myself a manicure as a treat. Or go to the nail salon if I want to spend a bit extra. If it's a big treat I'll get my hair cut, or even just get it washed n dried as they always style it better than I can lol. Having your hair done always makes u feel good :D

Has anyone got any strategies for treating yourself other than with food - ones that don't cost a lot!

I've given myself a "Night In." I plan it ahead so I don't have to cook, I get in my comfy clothes, and spend the evening either watching a couple of movies or doing an "do it yourself" spa night.

Today was my first day back to school (teacher week), and I was super nervous--mostly that I wouldn't have enough to eat to get me through. I'm happy to report that the day was wonderful. I had way more than enough food, and a LOT of people were very interested in learning about Whole30. I started talking about it with a couple of people at my table, and pretty soon there were 10-12 people standing around listening in.

We have 3 people at our school who have completed a W30 before and there are 2 more starting this week (after reading my FB posts) and 2 more who are ordering the book this week.  I'm thinking about hosting a W30 potluck next month!

I was exhausted when I got home (more going back to school than W30 related), but I didn't stress out about dinner because I had planned ahead and had a meal ready in 6 microwave minutes.

On top of all of that, now that I've reached Day 8 I am starting to believe that I can do this! (But I still miss cheese)

Hi all! I'm new to the forum, but I started my first Whole30 on August 4th. Other than some headaches late on day 1, it's been a fairly smooth week for me. I try to eat paleo most of the time, but the past month or so was a bit rough, with a trip to Chicago (in which I pretty much ate my way through downtown - deep dish pizza, donuts and all) at the tail end. So when I got back, I knew I needed to clean it up.

I'm blogging my Whole30 journey, the website is in my signature, if you care to follow along! I'm so glad I found this forum, your stories are inspiring! Keep up the good work, everyone!

Yes, the-ames... I was heartbroken.

Welcome, AbbyQ.

My kids will be back home tomorrow. The biggest issue is trying to feed everyone without having to make five meals. My daughter is vegetarian, my husband doesn't like "American" food much, and my son is just picky. Egg dishes generally please everyone, so suggestions are appreciated.

I'm about to go to bed now but I just want to check in to say that my husband grilled some delicious flank steak for dinner and opened a bottle of wine to have with dinner and I was soooooooo tempted.  But I didn't.  

And on that note I'm going to bed.  Tomorrow is day 9 and the employee barbeque where I work.  Another challenge. 

I'm with ya, Julzology!  I think the only thing I've been tempted with is wine.  Not that I drink a lot, but I usually have a couple glasses on the weekend.  JJust makes the weekend more festive. 

Welcome Abby, I'll have to check out your blog. 

My cranky decreased as the day went on today.  I made some leftover spaghetti squash sauteed in ghi.  Reminded me of fried spaghetti from when I was a kid.  Oh yeah.......no weight/food issues here, lol.

Hey Everyone! 

Welcome to day 9!! We are almost on to the double digits which is SO exciting for me. I love seeing all of the big x's on the calendar as I've checked off days!! Its so rewarding to see all the days that have gone by, and having so much checked off now makes the rest of the time look wayyyy less daunting. I am totally into countdowns right now. In 43 days I will be moving from Vermont to Kentucky!  My boyfriend has been living there since April and I am more than excited to finally join him!  I wanted to do this whole 30 now because with the stress of moving I figured if I wasn't careful I would eat really badly, and I want to look/feel my best when I see him and when I go to look for new jobs etc. 

The past few days I have actually started to feel better. I am no longer quite so groggy when the alarm clock goes off and I seem to be sleeping through the night more soundly. I still have a pretty bad energy crash right around 5:30 pm, but I am proud to say that I have NOT been using fruit as a crutch (a mistake I made on my first whole30 attempt) and I have been trying to eat dinner earlier, around 6pm instead of 9pm. My problem is all of the lawn/garden work that needs to be done, and I don't want to cook when its daylight cause I could be working!!! I've learned that the crock pot/leftovers is my best friend! 

My other major accomplishment was baking brownies without eating one bite! NOT ONE BITE! not one lick of batter, NOTHING. I never in a million years could have imagined I would have the self control for that, but I did it. Now I feel like I could do anything, which is good because the end of this week is really going to take me out of my comfort zone.

The boyfriend will be home Thursday visiting and we have to go to his sisters for dinner Friday and to his high school class reunion Saturday, and to a family friends on Sunday for dinner. I have already checked out the menus and alerted everyone of my special "needs". Luckily we are close with everyone and they were more than supportive to leave a plain piece of meat for me and no one will be offended if I bring my own dressing! I also looked at the restaurant menu so I know what I will order and what special instructions to give so I don't need to be tempted the day of! And I have offered to be the DD for the class reunion which gives me double special brownie points for being the "cool" girlfriend! 

Geezz, I almost wrote a book. I guess I feel like sharing today. lol Thanks everyone for all the support. You are invaluable. I love coming on here and reading about everyone's day, and the challenges they face. It makes it so much easier knowing that there are many of us struggling with the same things every day! 

Keep up the good work!! We can go this!!! 

Happy day 8 everyone. So the first days I was feeling hungry all the time. Yesterday I was just plain full. All day. I could barely eat any of my dinner. Also, if you recall, I said I felt huge yesterday. I did have two snacks. A peach mid morning and some pecans in the afternoon. But each of my meals left me feeling stuffed. Today I've decided to cut bac a little on extra fat and starchy carbs and see how I feel. I had 2 eggs, a banana, and coffee for breakfast. I will have a chicken breast with cucumber and avocado for lunch, and I haven't decided on dinner yet. I will be home late tonight so it might just be eggs again. Depends on if my husband cooks. I will let you know tomorrow if I feel better.

Anyone else made any specific adjustments that made a difference for them?

I've given myself a "Night In." I plan it ahead so I don't have to cook, I get in my comfy clothes, and spend the evening either watching a couple of movies or doing an "do it yourself" spa night.

Most nights are nights in around here - single parent, little childcare :-)

Guest PaleoViki

Hi, I started August 4th but haven't had time to figure out how to join a forum.  I would like to join yours.

Is anyone else exercising also?  I am doing P-90X the original version, walking & Elliptical machine.

I have gone through 2 days of detox last week.  I knew I didn't have the flu but felt really really bad.  Today I am just NOT with it.  I worked out really hard at 5:00 a.m. and am just don't feel good.  Oh well maybe I will be better later today.

Looking forward to being here with you all.  Viki

Hi, I started August 4th but haven't had time to figure out how to join a forum.  I would like to join yours.

Is anyone else exercising also?  I am doing P-90X the original version, walking & Elliptical machine.

I have gone through 2 days of detox last week.  I knew I didn't have the flu but felt really really bad.  Today I am just NOT with it.  I worked out really hard at 5:00 a.m. and am just don't feel good.  Oh well maybe I will be better later today.

Looking forward to being here with you all.  Viki

Scroll to the top of this page and click "follow this topic."

I do the odd pull up and I have a kettleball I walk past daily, other than a bit of yoga (ariel), and the day to day exercise you get (at the moment I'm putting up some huge shelves which is really physical) I do nothing at all.

I've done less than nothing the last week though, feeling so tired I didn't want to push it.

It's day 9 and I would love a beer but nothing else is tempting me.

I am doing Piyo - i didn't do any in my first week because i wanted to focus on food and sleeeeeeeeeeeep. I also have turbofire but havent started that one yet.

I had my first food dream last night. I was back in my home town of Manchester and walking past the pub i used to work - eating a subway sandwich... after a couple of bites i threw it away and was mad at myself, thinking id have to start all over again after 9 days. Then i was in the pub and i was knocking back some Captain Morgan rum because Jon Bon Jovi had died (what? yeah dont judge me lol), again i was mad at myself that id slipped again. There was another incident later in the dream but i dont remember that. I woke up all kinds of disappointed - but then full of joy when i realized that i hadn't messed up.... and that Jon Bon Jovi was still alive. I did google it just in case haha

Anyone else had any food dreams yet??

Archived