August 4 Start Group

wvictoria

Amnblack, welcome. Your story sounds a lot like mine. My highest weight was about 120 higher than my lowest adult weight, the summer before freshman year of college.

still about 30-40 above where I'd like to be, however I've lost 80 since last july, so I know you can too! I had low supply with both of my kids, and it was on a low supply fb group that I first read about whole30! I'm hoping if I'm blessed with a third that my new paleo life will help with supply. Here's my 1 year story and I'm still going! You can do it, girl. http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/20213-living-whole-for-a-whole-year/

Thanks CharDoll.  I can definitely relate to your story too.  I know what you mean about feeling "left out".  I hope I can get there someday when I don't feel like I'm missing out.  I hope you have continued success!  

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So today, day 4, I woke up happy and energized.  I'm feeling pretty hopeful at this point.  I got to come in to work late today so that was nice.  I fought the urge to step on the scale this morning.  Because I feel as though I HAVE to have lost at least 2-3 lbs by now.  But i'm glad I didnt look because I'm sure I'd be disappointed if I were wrong. 

I saw a picture of a chocolate and candy covered apple on facebook this morning and I had a strong urge for chocolate but then it passed.  whew!  Man did I eat a TON of chocolate while I was pregnant!!

So before I discovered the Whole30, I discovered "The Eat Clean Diet" and I did it perfectly for 3 months and lost 30 lbs.  It wasn't until the last 5lbs or so that anyone even noticed I was losing weight.  That SUCKS!  I didnt really have any support then, and I have this and another group on Facebook now, plus my husband and work partner are helping me, so I think that will make a big difference.  After the 3 months, I just plateaued and quit losing weight.  And then I quit, and started gaining back.  I really don't want to go there again.  I don't care about wearing a bikini or miniskirt again, I just want the freedom to live my life free from the constraints of being fat.  If you've been there, you know exactly what I'm talking about.  I work with athletes and coaches, and you get lots of opinions.  "I don't support fad dieting," "all it takes is diet and exercise and a little self control," "I don't believe in eliminating whole food groups," and the list goes on...I've just decided that to the naysayers, I will say, "well, what I've been doing thus far has not been working, so I am trying something different."  I'm not going to bother arguing with people who are not supportive in my quest to make myself healthier.  

These are just a few thoughts I've been having this morning.  

I'm 13 months in and hate to admit I still haven't read the book. I know, I know. Shame on me. When I started this though I was determined not to spend money on "another diet". I probably read the entire website, forum and blog though! I do think I'm going to finally cave and buy the book though! Especially now that I know this is my forever lifestyle.

Btw. Sitting down to lunch now at 2pm (woops, was cleaning) and it definitely one of the YLE! Yummiest lunches ever. If you haven't already discovered sunshine sauce, do it, it's awesome. http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/07/21/sunshine-sauce/

I'm having it with zoodles, baby bella mushrooms, broccoli and left over pork tenderloin. Yummo.

Man did I eat a TON of chocolate while I was pregnant!!

I work with athletes and coaches, and you get lots of opinions. "I don't support fad dieting," "all it takes is diet and exercise and a little self control," "I don't believe in eliminating whole food groups," and the list goes on...I've just decided that to the naysayers, I will say, "well, what I've been doing thus far has not been working, so I am trying something different." I'm not going to bother arguing with people who are not supportive in my quest to make myself healthier.

These are just a few thoughts I've been having this morning.

So, ditto on the chocolate while pregnant. More specifically, chocolate chip cookies. Planning to stay w30/paleo if/when I get pregnant again!

As to naysayers..good thoughts. Plus you can add in, would you say that to an alcoholic? You can have just one beer, can't you? What's one glass of wine? Obviously sugar and wheat in moderation wasn't working for me. Thanks though.

I made it through the BBQ, but it was a LOT harder than I thought it'd be. Unlike the quotation in ISWF, this wasn't something I could go and buy myself or get at a different time. My principal spent the entire day grilling a beef brisket. I had never had it, it smelled sooo good, and it looked delish as did the taco dip and other things that people brought. Even though I had plenty to eat with my burger patties, chopped salad, and fresh fruit, it was absolutly painful to sit there and see and smell that food for 5 hours watching and listening to everyone talk about how good it was.

Why was the beef brisket off-limits? Did it have  any chemical seasonings or something? If so, you lost nothing... Why don't you have your very own BBQ and grill your own delicious healthy meat and ask people to bring salads with no off-limit ingredients in them...? Sounds like a nice reward for all the efforts you're doing...?

Progress not perfection, that's my motto.  I'm not giving up and I'm not starting over.  Just keeping on keeping on.  Yesterday I was depressed and weepy all day which is not my personality at all.  I also considered throwing in the towel because this is "too hard" and then I keep remembering the manifesto that This.Is.NOT.Hard  and seeing as I don't want to be a big baby I keep going.  That and I've declared my intentions to my co-workers, friends and family and would seriously lose face if I quit this early in the game.  

Way to go, Julie!!  :)

Aside from the blasts and stevia in my coffee, the only other change I had to make was beans.  

But I did a lot of soy.

I also had to give up peanut butter.  

Hola Josie! Yo hablo castellano en mi casa.  ;)

There're several candidates for causing you weight gain through inflammation in your previous diet. Soy, peanuts, beans, almonds, eggs: big suspects. Today on the Detox Summit they're talking about food toxins. Check in particular J.J. Virgin's: "How food intolerance is the real cause of weight gain and poor health".

I'm SDH (so ... happy) with this group! Can't we nominate ourselves for best forum group or something?

I think so!  :)

I work with athletes and coaches, and you get lots of opinions.  "I don't support fad dieting," "all it takes is diet and exercise and a little self control," "I don't believe in eliminating whole food groups," and the list goes on...I've just decided that to the naysayers, I will say, "well, what I've been doing thus far has not been working, so I am trying something different."  I'm not going to bother arguing with people who are not supportive in my quest to make myself healthier.  

Great thought, Amnblack.  

Glad to see so many people joining us!! I feel like it is so helpful all day to know that there are so many people out there struggling with me. I don't feel so alone, and it makes me want to succeed even more so I can be there in the end with you all sharing in the triumph! 

How is everyone's day 4 going? 

Mine was tough, more client lunches where I would have normally ate sandwiches, chips and dessert. I'm the one who has to set up & clean up so I can't even keep my distance! I am serving the food!! It was really hard, but I am proud to say I did not cave, not even a bit. I can't wait until the 30th day, when being around all that food without eating it will seem like second nature. 

I have to make something for my co-workers birthday on Monday, a long while ago I promised him ice cream cake with chocolate fudge. This will be a HUGE test. I looked up recipes today and that really got me craving!!! I just picked one quick and made a shopping list. Hopefully I can get through it without licking the spoon!!!  I admire so much all of you moms who have to cook and serve food that they arn't eating to the rest of their families. I don't know if I could do it every day! 

Other than that I am starting to feel WAYYYY less bloated, which is a blessing because I was not feeling so hot there for a while. I also started adding an exercise routine to my plan, exercising always makes me feel better (when I can get myself to do it) so I think that is part of it. 

I hope everyone has a lovely evening!! Thanks for being there! 

Hey Linzeey....I totally agree about the exercise thing.  I know its good for me, I know I feel better when I do it, but I still put it off or find "something else" to do.  Anybody have any ideas for motivation???

Hi! I actually started Aug 3, but I figure that's close enough. I'm a lawyer, representing people who are terminally ill from asbestos exposure. It's an incredibly rewarding job, even when it's sad. (Our clients die a lot. :c )  The upside? I get to travel a lot so I'm not stuck at a desk all the time. The downside, as far as this forum is concerned? FAST FOOD. It is really difficult to eat well on the road - airport food is the worst, and the majority of my clients/witnesses live in the tiniest little towns. The place I'm going Friday? They "eat out" at the BP gas station grill. So, I need to really plan ahead and figure out a way to make this work for me.  

Why am I doing this? Well, lots of reasons. I'm on high blood pressure and cholesterol medicine, and I'm tired of them both. Plus, my cholesterol is sneaking up again, and if I can't get it down naturally, my doctor is going to up my meds. BOOOOOOOOO. I choose not to let that happen. Also, as I told a friend earlier today, I look like crap all the time, even when I'm feeling great. My body is less a temple and more a trash pile in an alley, or at least it feels that way. I've been better.  I also really want to break a few bad food habits - eating Red Hots like they're popcorn. Eating popcorn (I love it, but I always feel crappy afterwards, so why am I eating it?!). The sugar beast. Eating out all the time because I'm too lazy to cook.

So, day 3, and it's the first time I've felt anything "off". Like, right now it's just after 10pm, and I'm actually a little hungry. This does not please me, but I know I can grab something healthy and make it through the night. (idk, a boiled egg? broccoli?)  Or I can just wait, and see if it passes. I'm going option B.

Anyway, I'm glad to be starting. I tend to be all gangbusters with fora (yes!) at first, and then forget about them, but I'll try to keep coming back!

I'm also going to track what I'm doing on a new blog - I'll pop in the address in my .sig line once it's ready for public viewing.

I also travel a lot and can relate to clients eating at places like gas station grills.  What solutions have you come up with?  I picked up some epic bars at a local whole foods to carry in my purse in case of emergencies, but am a little worried about a week long trip I have starting on the 17th.  I hope to have a fridge and microwave in my hotel room, but also have several meals out with co-workers and clients, without any control which restaurants we go to.  I will be about half-way through my whole 30 and don't want to "drop the ball" just because I'm out of my element.

Looking forward to your blog!

Tuni

So before I discovered the Whole30, I discovered "The Eat Clean Diet" and I did it perfectly for 3 months and lost 30 lbs.  It wasn't until the last 5lbs or so that anyone even noticed I was losing weight.  That SUCKS!  I didnt really have any support then, and I have this and another group on Facebook now, plus my husband and work partner are helping me, so I think that will make a big difference.  After the 3 months, I just plateaued and quit losing weight.  And then I quit, and started gaining back.  I really don't want to go there again.  I don't care about wearing a bikini or miniskirt again, I just want the freedom to live my life free from the constraints of being fat.  If you've been there, you know exactly what I'm talking about.  

I have definitely been here before! No one really noticed my weight loss until I got to the 25 pound mark as well. It does suck and then I let it get me down. That was over a year ago and I had gained all of my weight back also. But I wonder why I did so well until people started to notice...THEN I fell off the wagon! Now I found Whole 30 and hope (and do feel) like it has changed how I look at food. I am not seeking external rewards. I just want to keep feeling good. Having support, here and at home, definitely helps. I'm not worried about a bikini or miniskirt either but being able to bend over and tie my shoes without a brain hemorrhage would be nice. We can do it!

I'm so glad to be feeling better today.  Yesterday was rough.  I haven't really struggled with food cravings yet, it's been more of an energy/emotional thing I've been having a hard time with.  

The past two days I really struggled with exhaustion and something akin to depression.  I just didn't have energy for anything, terrible headache, and unquenchable thirst.  I slept 11 hours two nights ago, and 10 hours last night (not intentionally - ugh!). Today feels much more normal THANK GOODNESS!

I'm so grateful that this thread is here.  Even though I didn't post during my struggles, reading all your posts really helped me through the rough spot.  Thank you!

Tuni

I also travel a lot and can relate to clients eating at places like gas station grills.  What solutions have you come up with?  I picked up some epic bars at a local whole foods to carry in my purse in case of emergencies, but am a little worried about a week long trip I have starting on the 17th.  I hope to have a fridge and microwave in my hotel room, but also have several meals out with co-workers and clients, without any control which restaurants we go to.  I will be about half-way through my whole 30 and don't want to "drop the ball" just because I'm out of my element.

Looking forward to your blog!

Tuni

I'll let you know! So far, suggestions have been to pack things that don't need refrigeration, which I was all DUH OBVIOUSLY about, and then read on to see waterless tuna packs. Which I hadn't even thought of. So, you know, the DUH was on me. :D  Also, food thermoses. I didn't even know those were a thing.

Hey Linzeey....I totally agree about the exercise thing.  I know its good for me, I know I feel better when I do it, but I still put it off or find "something else" to do.  Anybody have any ideas for motivation???

Audiobooks! Find a book you've been wanting to read, load it on your phone/mp3 player, and then only allow yourself to listen to it when you're exercising. I've been mainlining the Game of Thrones series this way, and sometimes my three-mile walk turns into four miles because what's happening is exciting and I don't want to stop listening. I'm giving myself a break on the exercise for week one, while I adjust to a) Whole30 and B) having sole responsibility for the poodles in the house. You'd think little dogs would want to run around and take long walks, but these guys are Over It. No long walks for them.

Tonight I try out my random "all the root veggies in my kitchen" slow cooker meal. I'm excited, just got to throw in a meat with it and dinner is made. 

(the blog is done. I'm ridic chatty.)

Audiobooks! Find a book you've been wanting to read, load it on your phone/mp3 player, and then only allow yourself to listen to it when you're exercising. I've been mainlining the Game of Thrones series this way, and sometimes my three-mile walk turns into four miles because what's happening is exciting and I don't want to stop listening.

(the blog is done. I'm ridic chatty.)

I love this idea! Thanks!

It's cool to see other Spanish-speakers in here, too. Thanks for the warm welcome to the group even though I'm a day ahead. Char Doll, do you mind telling me what state you're in? I'm in Virginia.

I haven't really had any cravings yet, but in the past, my go-to craving Buster was always a boiled egg with Mayo. Maybe the heavy protein/fat combo helps or it's just in my head, but it usually works. Guess I'd better start practicing the homemade Mayo.

I bookmarked the sunshine sauce recipe. I don't want to buy the coconut sauce thing - I just don't even use soy sauce enough to make it worth the price - but I'll try it without that and bet it is still a yummy variation.

Ok, I can't resist...because there are so many teachers and a few over 50 here...I am just beginning, but had a false start on August 1. I have been caring for parents who had an acute illness this summer and it has been difficult. I made one more visit for the summer to make sure they were alright. It was Day 3 for me. When I arrived, my mom presented me with a lovely coconut pie...yeah...I didn't expect that as she hasn't been cooking. So, may I join you even though I am starting over? Tomorrow will be Day 1.

I teach science and am 58 years old. There are a few reasons I am going to try this. I read a story recently about an 87 year old woman who was healthier than she's ever been due to this type of diet and there were photos. She was lovely! My daughter, who recently got married, was radiant! I asked her, "Do you look so good because you are in love?" She laughed and replied, "Yes, but I also just completely a Whole30!" And lastly, I am a new mammaw and the parents were told that they may not be able to have children. After much effort and disappointment, they tried paleo. The baby is more than beautiful!

School officially starts with students next week.

I do have one concern. I started the Whole30 last spring and ended up with some type of IBS or much worse. Perhaps just more water? Perhaps it was a fluke, but I have never had so much pain and discomfort and had to take OTC meds to help that pass.

Lastly, my goal is simple. I have too much inflammation...pain. I don't mind getting older as I want to be an elder that young people can look up to, but this isn't right...this pain. I don't buy it and everything I have read about this way of eating makes sense so I want to give it a full go.

Ok, I can't resist...because there are so many teachers and a few over 50 here...I am just beginning, but had a false start on August 1. I have been caring for parents who had an acute illness this summer and it has been difficult. I made one more visit for the summer to make sure they were alright. It was Day 3 for me. When I arrived, my mom presented me with a lovely coconut pie...yeah...I didn't expect that as she hasn't been cooking. So, may I join you even though I am starting over? Tomorrow will be Day 1.

I teach science and am 58 years old. There are a few reasons I am going to try this. I read a story recently about an 87 year old woman who was healthier than she's ever been due to this type of diet and there were photos. She was lovely! My daughter, who recently got married, was radiant! I asked her, "Do you look so good because you are in love?" She laughed and replied, "Yes, but I also just completely a Whole30!" And lastly, I am a new mammaw and the parents were told that they may not be able to have children. After much effort and disappointment, they tried paleo. The baby is more than beautiful!

School officially starts with students next week.

I do have one concern. I started the Whole30 last spring and ended up with some type of IBS or much worse. Perhaps just more water? Perhaps it was a fluke, but I have never had so much pain and discomfort and had to take OTC meds to help that pass.

Lastly, my goal is simple. I have too much inflammation...pain. I don't mind getting older as I want to be an elder that young people can look up to, but this isn't right...this pain. I don't buy it and everything I have read about this way of eating makes sense so I want to give it a full go.

Congratulations on being a mawmaw!

You may want to try digestive enzymes and probitics with your meals. That should help! Here's an article you may want to read: http://whole9life.com/2012/09/digestive-enzymes-101/

Welcome to the group

Day 4 and I feel like I'm not doing ANYTHING.  :huh:

I have to make something for my co-workers birthday on Monday, a long while ago I promised him ice cream cake with chocolate fudge. This will be a HUGE test. I looked up recipes today and that really got me craving!!! I just picked one quick and made a shopping list. Hopefully I can get through it without licking the spoon!!!  I admire so much all of you moms who have to cook and serve food that they arn't eating to the rest of their families. I don't know if I could do it every day! 

Other than that I am starting to feel WAYYYY less bloated, which is a blessing because I was not feeling so hot there for a while. I also started adding an exercise routine to my plan, exercising always makes me feel better (when I can get myself to do it) so I think that is part of it. 

Hi Linzeey! Kudos for your fortitude. You're going to rock that ice cream cake! You know that wonderful feeling of not feeling bloated... it would probably go down the drain.

I find that with people who are not so close to me, I can say I have a condition and I have to eat this way. Say it in advance before going on the trip. I once knew a woman who was severely allergic to fish. When traveling or eating out, at the time of her reservation or arrival, she would go meet the head of staff and tell them she could drop dead if she accidentally ate some and could they guaranty she would be safe. They always took it very seriously. I'm not suggesting inventing such a dramatic case, but it's useful to have a prepared speech that sounds serious enough, and say it with conviction.

I'm so glad to be feeling better today.  Yesterday was rough.  I haven't really struggled with food cravings yet, it's been more of an energy/emotional thing I've been having a hard time with.  

The past two days I really struggled with exhaustion and something akin to depression.  I just didn't have energy for anything, terrible headache, and unquenchable thirst.  I slept 11 hours two nights ago, and 10 hours last night (not intentionally - ugh!). Today feels much more normal THANK GOODNESS!

I'm so grateful that this thread is here.  Even though I didn't post during my struggles, reading all your posts really helped me through the rough spot.  Thank you!

Tuni

So it wasn't that healing crisis had magically spared our group, I was wondering... I had that the first time. Gosh, it was difficult. Glad you feel better now!

I had that too. Actually, I already have IBS, and my W30 gave me a terrible flare. ISWF has a chapter on this, with advice about fruit and veggies in particular. I personally found I had to go deeper and integrate the SCD/GAPS principles into my diet: bone broth, probiotics... I'm still hoping it doesn't happen again...

Here's the book I was mentioning: The Book Of Ingredients (or something along that line) under the direction of Christine McFadden, Dorling Kindersley Ltd, UK 2010.

The-ames: look here: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Thermos-10-oz-Stainless-Steel-Food-Jar/15913596  ;)

GrannieD...I thought your name sounded familiar, I recognized it from the May 27th start thread. This is round 2 for me as the past six weeks have been filled with poor food choices. Good luck!

Hi there! Nice to see you again. I didn't do reintroductions like I wanted but I tried to at least stay in a paleo mind frame. I had my moments of weakness and a vacation somewhere in there but I'm glad to be back in force. It's good to hear from a familiar name. Time to get #2 under our belts! Good luck.

Forgot to introduce myself yesterday...33, mom of 1 and married. I work full-time and go to nursing school, so I'm looking to get eating under control before school starts again this month and the added stress that comes along with juggling life.

With so many teachers on here it's nice to see a fellow nurse. What year of school are you in? I know your life must be stressful with a full time job, a child, and nursing school!!! Keep strong, it will be worth it in the end! (I promise). Ironically, I am married to a teacher so it would seem we are all a perfect fit.

Finding it difficult to eat as much as is defined for meal 1, just not a big morning eater, but getting there!

Bacon and eggs for breakfast with spinach and a side of grapefruit seemed like a very luxurious feed this morning.  :)

I had a work night out last night and managed pretty well to stay "clean".  Had poached salmon with steamed asparagus as a starter, it came with a side of pesto toast but I passed that swiftly to my husband, who was happy to make it vanish!

Main course was pan seared tuna and a giant side salad that contained mango and pinenuts, so even without the dressing it was very luscious and again not breaking any rules.

I ignored the dessert menu and had a black coffee.

We like to eat out, so any tips appreciated!  We are going to a family favourite restaurant at the weekend, they advertised recently that they have "paleo'd" some of their menu options so I will be interested to see what will be on offer.  The trick for me is avoiding the wine!  Mmm wine..  :P

Greetings to all the recent joiners, it's great to read everyone's stories, background and day to day struggles/ successes!

Good morning! Welcome to Day 5 my friends. It's only 6:55 a.m., but I experienced the classic "Kill All The Things" scenario this morning. I woke up at 6:00 without an alarm, assessed how I felt--no headache, mind clear, ready for a new day--got up and started the coffee, smilled to myself because the BF was singing in the shower, sat down to check email, and all of a sudden I hated the world. I was angry that I was up so early on my last day of vacation. I was angry that the garage people didn't finish yesterday. I was angry that my son didn't join us in our online family game night last night. I was angry that the cat was hungry. AND, while I was filling up with all this anger, I had a hot flash. (I haven't had one of those ever since I started Whole30) It all hit me like a brick!

There I was, sitting there sweating and on fire inside and out, and the BF comes out of the bathroom all smiles and "good morning, babydoll, what are you doing up on your last day of vacation?" Well, he wishes now that he hadn't asked that. I opened fire telling him that I was up because my life hated me (or something to that effect). He just looked at me, turned on a fan for me, and asked, "which Whole30 day is this again?" and it was over. I came back. It was crazy, though. I feel fine now, but maybe I'll take a nap a little later so I don't want to kill the asphalt guys when they get here to do our driveway.

Got a co-worker to jump aboard!!  Today is her Day 1!  So happy this has rubbed off on others around me :) 

Last night, my first "food dream" this round.  I was making a salad and ate a crouton while putting the salad together, got upset about it, but then moved on to cake, ice cream...all things that we're not supposed to have.  It was bizarre.  I remember having maybe one last W30, but this one was quite vivid.  Weird how that happens.  Maybe it's because I was at work late last night and was starving when I got home.  Had some spaghetti squash, water, and went to bed.  Day 5 folks!!  AND it's FRIDAY!

(pretty sure my jeans slipped on easier than they did last week)

Archived