Hi all, I finally got the results of my RAST testing and will begin my first Whole30 round in the morning.  I've been fighting serious allergy and joint issues for quite a while, plus I have crohns disease so trying to figure out how to eat in a way that will make my body happy has been a tedious and ongoing process.  Luckily according to the RAST test the only Whole30 food I definitely need to avoid is eggs.  I have a level 5 reaction to whites and a level 4 to yolks.  I'm very sad since I raise my own duck and chicken eggs!  Other than that, I avoid seeds and some whole nuts (almonds, peanuts, macadamia nuts) but can have others and can have all nut butters except peanuts.  I have to be careful of too much fiber because it can cause a blockage, but as long as I'm strategic, I like most vegetables and fruits. 

Breakfast is where I'm clueless.  I've been eating an egg sandwich (now egg, dairy and wheat intolerant) or omelet 95% of the mornings for the past 5 years.  Thanks in advance!

I have a carrot, chopped into carrot sticks, with a nut butter as dipping sauce (usually coconut or cashew). For meat, I usually have a scotch egg (I know, not an option, but I'm getting to the point) , but I was lazy last weekend and didn't make them, so so far this week I have had cold cuts of roast pork, leftover pulled pork in civilised cavemans ketchup, and this morning I had leftover meatballs from dinner last night, and I really liked them. I think I might do meatballs more often

• Moderators

There are multiple threads of breakfast ideas that do not include eggs. Look around for them. 

Forget the idea of breakfast foods versus lunch and supper foods. Eat what you like at any meal. I've been known to prepare seared scallops with zucchini noodles for breakfast. 

pinkhairedmom:

I am not sensitive to eggs, but I just get plain old tired of them sometimes.  So, one of the things I do to counter this problem is to make a dish during my weekly cooking sessions that is just for breakfast.  For example, one of my favorites go to's is a lemon & thyme chicken soup that I've been making for years. (Traditionally, it has rice or noodles, but I just leave those out and make it a chicken and veggie soup with extra chicken and veggies; works just fine.)  So, my recommendation is to make something you like and reserve it for breakfast, preferably, something that will provide a few days worth of leftovers. To restate what Tom D. said, if it's cool to sometimes have breakfast for dinner, what's stopping us from having dinner (or lunch) for breakfast?  Happy breakfasting!

Thanks everyone!  I think I did pretty well today.  I made a green smoothie for breakfast.  Not much protein in it, but it was a good way to use up stuff that's coming in out of the garden.  Today's version was mostly melons (a bit of watermelon and cantaloupe) with cucumber, and a hand full of mixed greens.  Normally I would have thrown in an egg so that was hard to get past.  No taste difference obviously but the lack of protein had me starving in about an hour and a half.  I should have added some avocado, but I was out.

For lunch I had some salad made from previously cooked kale and broccoli, with a mustard vinegrette I made and some pork I cooked earlier.  Dinner was chicken breast tenders cooked in EVOO with just salt and cucumbers.  It's been too darned hot to eat too much today. 

I did buy some ground pork so I can make my own sausage patties, for a more breakfast-y vibe.  I LOVE breakfast food, and Whole30 or no, these test results just killed 90% of that! LOL  I'll live, but life without stinky cheese may be a little less bright.

Thanks everyone!  I think I did pretty well today.  I made a green smoothie for breakfast.  Not much protein in it, but it was a good way to use up stuff that's coming in out of the garden.  Today's version was mostly melons (a bit of watermelon and cantaloupe) with cucumber, and a hand full of mixed greens.  Normally I would have thrown in an egg so that was hard to get past.  No taste difference obviously but the lack of protein had me starving in about an hour and a half.  I should have added some avocado, but I was out.

For lunch I had some salad made from previously cooked kale and broccoli, with a mustard vinegrette I made and some pork I cooked earlier.  Dinner was chicken breast tenders cooked in EVOO with just salt and cucumbers.  It's been too darned hot to eat too much today. 

I did buy some ground pork so I can make my own sausage patties, for a more breakfast-y vibe.  I LOVE breakfast food, and Whole30 or no, these test results just killed 90% of that! LOL  I'll live, but life without stinky cheese may be a little less bright.

Unfortunately, smoothies are discouraged on a Whole30.  The idea is to chew your food vs. drink it, as chewing is more satiating.  

There are countless past threads on non egg breakfast Whole30 ideas. Here are a few:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/8697-help-other-breakfast-ideas-non-eggs/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/6774-non-egg-breakfast/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/1834-breakfast-ideas-without-eggs/

I find the easiest way to search the forum is via Google. Type Whole30 followed by whatever you're looking for, and if it's been discussed here, you'll get links to the results. (I typed Whole30 non egg breakfast to get the links above.)

I'm egg intolerant and what I do is the 'triple batch' method where I make enough food for 3 meals (each) for dinner, then breakfast the next morning is leftovers from the night before and lunch is leftovers from the night before that (or vice versa... breakfast is whatever leftovers are easiest to stomach first thing in the morning- I would prefer leftover pasta sauce on veggies for breakfast over steak and salad if you know what I mean). This way you're always eating 3 different meals in one day but only cook once a day.

Oh and to make sure my husband doesn't eat it all I pack up all the leftovers into meal sized containers and keep his on the top shelf and mine on the bottom. That man could eat a whole flock of chickens in a day if I left him to it....

Smoothies may be discouraged on Whole30, but they're encouraged on the crohns diet.  I'm walking a fine balance here.  Rules that apply to most people could cause me to end up in the hospital on remicade or methotrexate and massive steroids and antibiotics.  Fiber is NOT my friend and I don't even have a colon to worry about cleaning out.  In order to have fruits and vegetables at every meal, I'm going to have to smoothie or juice some of them or I won't be able to do it at all. For me, extracting the nutrients is more important than the fiber.  Life of a crohnie.  I'm very lucky that I've been able to go for quite a while without a big flare.  I've had one that tried to kill me.  I'd like to avoid going back there again.  I only weighed 86lbs but I'd rather be fat than that sick.

Oh I'm feeling you - I am an egg lover but with a family history of high cholesterol and a reading of 7.7 last week (I'm on 27 and not overweight), the dr said I need to be careful and only have eggs every second day. So I have been filling up on sautéed vegetables - usually red onion, pumpkin, red capsicum, mushies and baby spinach with a little olive oil and chilli and then tossing in some prosciutto... I also have a double shot espresso, a handful of nuts, a couple of medjool dates and some strawberries. Yep, all of this for breakfast. It's a big deal for me and I find that if I fill up completely then I don't need to eat until 1pm or later.

One thing I did not do right to day was eat enough calories early in the day.  By the end of dinner I'd only had about 600.  It's just SO DARNED HOT and humid that I didn't want to eat.  So then this evening, I was really hungry.  Will have to work to balance it out better tomorrow, but with only being able to handle so much fiber at once, it's a challenge.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, smoothies are discouraged on a Whole30.  The idea is to chew your food vs. drink it, as chewing is more satiating.  

There are countless past threads on non egg breakfast Whole30 ideas. Here are a few:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/8697-help-other-breakfast-ideas-non-eggs/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/6774-non-egg-breakfast/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/1834-breakfast-ideas-without-eggs/

I find the easiest way to search the forum is via Google. Type Whole30 followed by whatever you're looking for, and if it's been discussed here, you'll get links to the results. (I typed Whole30 non egg breakfast to get the links above.)

8 PM

Why I no longer make smoothies, especially with whey....

The other major category of milk protein is whey. Whey is a blend of multiple types of smaller proteins and hormones, including immunoglobulins, insulin, insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1), estrogens, and other growth factors. (Remember, milk is a powerful growth promoter!) For this reason, milk is a highly insulinogenic food, which means that the combination of lactose plus whey dairy proteins causes the release of very large amounts of insulin when consumed.

The remarkably large amount of insulin secreted in response to milk and whey protein intake may prove problematic for those with metabolic syndrome, as in this population, it does not promote a healthy hormonal response. Anyone seeking to improve insulin sensitivity (or avoid becoming insulin resistant) would be best served by avoiding dairy products.

Insulin is not the only potentially detrimental hormone increased by milk. Milk consumption also significantly elevates IGF-1, another powerful growth-inducer. IGF-1 promotes growth in children, but it is also associated with promotion (or indirect facilitation) of various cancers, such as breast, colon, and prostate. Of course, we’re not saying that if you drink milk, you’ll get cancer, but if you’re at high risk, consuming substances that increase the growth of cells, including abnormal cells, seems unwise.

Well that was majorly random.  Who said anything about using dairy?  From what I have read, it isn't part of Whole 30 anyway, and even if it was, I'm intolerant of dairy and eggs so that leaves out most protein powders because soy and hemp are VILE.  My smoothies are all fruits and green veg with coconut water or plain water as a base.  And Yes. even though you're supposed to "chew" I'm still doing them because with crohns disease I don't digest foods like normal people. 

Given your context, I'll weigh in with the note that medical treatments trump Whole30. I understand that you're using smoothies as a way to get optimal nutrition with your Crohn's.  If Whole30 helps to change that over time, so much the better.  But you don't give up what's keeping you alive to do a Whole30 - we don't ask that.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

I found few healthy breakfast ideas here, easy to prepare and good for health. You can try these recipes, http://www.momjunction.com/articles/healthy-breakfast-ideas-for-your-teen_00348110/

None of these recipes are okay on Whole30. They all contain grains or sugar or dairy. None of them meet the meal template. Please review the program rules -- while we welcome new participants to the forum, we do ask that you spend a little time getting to know what Whole30 is about.

Archived