Major sugar addicition...

superal

I have tried to start a whole 30 several times... in the past 18 months I've gained nearly 80lbs and my have found myself extremely addicted to sugar. It calms my anxiety and gives me boost emotionally. I don't have it in my house but like most addicts I'll go out of my way to get a hold of it. Does anyone have expreience detoxing off a severe sugar addiction and helping me focus on getting through a whole 30 without constant failure and disappointment.

• Moderators

Sugar cravings are worse when you are hungry or under-nourished. You might try working very hard to eat generous portions of meat, veggies, and healthy fats to reduce your sugar cravings. If you stay full on meat and veggies, you might still eat some sugar, but you are likely to eat a lot less. With some practice, you might soon get to the point that you can resist sugar completely and then finally complete a Whole30. 

Hi, fellow sugar addict here! The only thing that works for me is going completely cold turkey, which Whole30 will do. After a few days of sugar-free misery it's amazing how quickly you start to get over it. Unfortunately moderation doesn't work for me at all where sugar's concerned - it really is all or nothing. I've been sugar-free for three months now, and not missing it at all. Having a sugar-free couple of months before starting the Whole30 made it easier in my case.

Yep, serious Sugar addict here too!. I didn't do it cold turkey. I stopped went paleo filling up on meat and veg and making sure I ate lots of fat to stop the hunger pangs. Then on a sat would have an ice cream and it was yummy! But right back then the next day to paleo. This way I made it from week to week truly looking forward to every sat!! I knew in itself this was still not quite ok so doing Whole 30. No issues now whatsoever with wanting sugar. The very best of luck.

I'm in day 22 of my first W30. Based on how much I STILL want something sweet after a meal I will get to day 30 and the next day will be day 1. I have not managed to defeat my sugar dragon yet. I know myself entirely too well...and if I give myself an inch I will take a king sized Hershey's special dark bar. Complicating this is my love of combining salty and sweet. I used to soothe this with fruit...and managed to gain 20 lbs from eating cantaloupe.

Hate to bare the same response but I find starving the dragon is the only way for me.  There is no such thing as one piece of candy in my world. Right now I'm on day 17 and I was just handed about 8 'fun sized' candy bars by my boss as a 'reward'.  Sigh...they were immediately shoved into my desk drawer.  I'll have to put them back into his drawer when he's not looking.  I wasn't really thinking about sugar until those crinkly wrappers touched my hands.  How I hate you SNICKERS!  

Sometimes I distract myself while other times I try to examine the craving.  With either route after about 10 minutes I'm feeling like I 'made it out'.  It's not gone completely but I'm able to move on.  Sometimes I make a game out of it and say to myself "if you make it thru this now you can have some fruit after dinner tonight".  Then I test myself after dinner by trying not to have the fruit.  I'll examine how full I am and if I really need more food.  Or I question if I have the time tonight to prep a fruit salad.  If I start doing dishes, etc. and all of a sudden it's 9:30pm I tell myself 'oops, it's too late now.'  I'm sure I'm not alone in this game.  Maybe it's not the best way of handling it but it works for me when I need it.  

It's really hard to dig deep and find strength and motivation sometimes.  Like any addiction you have to take it day by day; moment by moment.  Get yourself excited for what you can have or possibly new things you've never tried before.  I love steak so I get myself all happy about splurging on a nice grass-fed steak and grilling it up with my favorite veggies.  On the days I'm not feeling my meal plan I just remind myself that every day can't be awesome.  Sometimes I even intentionally plan my 'less than thrilling meals' (i.e. fish) on Monday night so I can get it outta the way.  Then I make my meals more exciting as the week goes on so I can get really push thru the week.  Take the bad with the good and try to find some balance that works for you.  You are not alone!!   

Having a sugar-free couple of months before starting the Whole30 made it easier in my case.

This is reassuring to hear! I had a successful 30 last spring (followed by backsliding), and an unsuccessful 30 (24 days) starting at the end of July - and when I fell, I fell hard. My number one issue is sugar addiction.

In another thread, I got a lot of good advice, so for the moment (like, starting this morning) I am trying to go sugar-free, see if I can slay the sugar dragon before I try another 30. 

On the days I'm not feeling my meal plan I just remind myself that every day can't be awesome.  Sometimes I even intentionally plan my 'less than thrilling meals' (i.e. fish) on Monday night so I can get it outta the way.  Then I make my meals more exciting as the week goes on so I can get really push thru the week.  Take the bad with the good and try to find some balance that works for you.  You are not alone!!   

That's actually a great idea - I do the shopping on Sunday's so tend to start with a bang on Monday's and end on a whimper by Friday - just when you're wanting something a little more interesting to disguise the fact you're not having wine and tapas at the pub... I'm going to start planning an awesome meal for Friday nights!

Archived